• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VaporGenie

El Rawn Hubbard

That logic would suggest all vapes using 18650 batteries are the same though which obviously isn't true.

Whatever your criteria might be, it's definitely a proven performer.

Have you watched videos of the VG in use?

El Rawn Hubbard,

maremaresing

Whatever your criteria might be, it's definitely a proven performer.

Truer words have never been spoken about the VG. I still get regularly dropped by it. Anyone remember the VG "3 bowl challenge" they used to have? In the days before vapes were a known thing, when people were misusing or questioning if the VG/Vapes could properly medicate vs smoke, they often touted this.

It was pretty smart, too, though overdosing doesn't fall into their current business image. If you have a massive tolerance, one bowl might not match what you normally intake. If you aren't using the lighter correctly and not getting good vapor, this forces you to keep trying until you get it browned right. At the time, the VG was grassroots revered for hitting so hard. Until recently you simply were not going to find an electric portable that works as well.

I never tried the "3 vg challenge", and with my tolerance it would merc me. I've heard a lot of funny stories about those who tried and failed, though.

simba

@weedanwine
That logic would suggest all vapes using 18650 batteries are the same though which obviously isn't true.

They are in the fact they're battery powered devices that create vapor, yes it's all about how simple you want to go. Honestly I'm not sure why you don't get where I'm coming from. All those intricacies of difference still come down to a device making vapor and I'm 100% a medical user with high needs. Like I said I appreciate and get all those differences of varied vape tech and I find all the posts about it great. Most of the time though I don't care or think about it. Most of the time all I need to do is get that vapor into me in the best way possible for the scenario I'm in.

I've watched a couple of usage videos, I get the concept and sure it won't be too hard to get the hang of. Just waiting for that order now!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The differences you state are all valid and whilst I appreciate all of that, I also don't care 99% of the time. All I need is the most efficient and convenient way to vape my herb given the situation I'm in.

I would definitely disagree with this sentiment. I say that because different vapes have different vapor signatures which give different experiences and different highs. I would consider the two experiences to be very different between the two vapes.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
OF the OG dropping Science Bombs! :science: Seeing this post made me so happy & sent me back in time.
I disagree with this idea, there is a substantial difference between the two. VG has a heat exchanger where the DV depends on stored heat for the hit. This means, for instance, you can replace the heat during the hit. This keeps the delivered heated air at at even level rather than the ever declining DV. DV forces us to start the hit hotter to ensure it doesn't poop out too fast, VG you approach from below and therefore don't need this over shooting?

The idea with candle flames being lower temperature is also a bit off. The total energy available from a given amount of gas remains the same in normal conditions. This is the reason your home heater is basically a candle flame, if you got more heat from 'torch flame' the cost of fuel would make that the system we'd demand. The rub is of the two reactions involved (burning the hydrogen giving water vapor and the carbon one producing CO2) the water one happens first meaning if you cool the process, the carbon doesn't convert not the hydrogen. This can cause solid carbon to deposit as 'lamp black' same as collects on the glass in kerosene lamps. No strange/toxic compounds are possible. Gas, containing carbon and hydrogen only, is the only source of chemicals. Remember we vent gas stoves and wall heaters into the room we live in, and have for a very long time.

Nothing to fear, IMO, but if you let candle or other 'yellow flame' sources like hemp wick get too close to the heat exchanger it will 'soot up', eventually blocking flow. There's a procedure for cleaning the exvchanger with a touch and vacuum cleaner.

Of the two, I think VG gets the nod on many fronts. DV is, OTOH, easier to use even if only the single way it's designed to.

Regards to all.

OF
Back in 2016, in my lurking days before I joined FC and we’ll after, this gentleman taught me so much about the science and technology of vaporization. Always there to answer questions fully & factually and kindly even for the umpteenth time and even when it was glaringly obvious the person asking hadn’t bothered reading in the thread at all.

I think it’s freakin amazing there are a handful of long-time members (I won’t call them old-timers!:haw:) that don’t showboat or gatekeep their knowledge, they just patiently and cheerfully share it whenever they can.

OF

I would definitely disagree with this sentiment. I say that because different vapes have different vapor signatures which give different experiences and different highs. I would consider the two experiences to be very different between the two vapes.

While I get the idea of 'a vape is a vape, how it works isn't really important', this is clearly (to me) not the case here. One is a conduction vape with a temperature sensor that gives an indication of the heat. The other is a convection vape which allows for different size loads (more than one hit) and allows for a lot of different delivery techniques as opposed to the single one the DV offers.

Right now, I honestly can't think of two vapes more different from a technical POV. For sure if we consider flame powered units? Each has it's strong points, but for sure they are very different animals 'under the hood'.

Regards and best wishes to all.

OF

simba

@weedanwine
While I get the idea of 'a vape is a vape, how it works isn't really important', this is clearly (to me) not the case here. One is a conduction vape with a temperature sensor that gives an indication of the heat. The other is a convection vape which allows for different size loads (more than one hit) and allows for a lot of different delivery techniques as opposed to the single one the DV offers.

Right now, I honestly can't think of two vapes more different from a technical POV. For sure if we consider flame powered units? Each has it's strong points, but for sure they are very different animals 'under the hood'.

Regards and best wishes to all.

OF

Again you keep going on about the technical differences which don't really matter to me. Yes one is conduction and one is convection, but so what? They're both creating vaporised cannabinoids. We don't necessarily need to care what's going on under the hood even if we acknowledge and understand the differences.

I understand that idea is anathema to many vape enthusiasts here and I'm certainly not demeaning any of the knowledge. I'm simply saying that in my general usage I don't need to care, and we should understand that for most people they don't care either. It's the subset of vape users that are enthusiasts, and that's all totally cool for people who want to be.

People keep going on about the experience, but that's not what I'm talking about. Also the different "high" you experience is completely subjective. I would like to see some evidence that vaporised cannabinoids from different devices are distinct enough for it to matter 🤔

simba,

coolbreeze

but Vapor Genie is as hard a hitter as I’ve seen.
Yeah, my glass one can just bury me in clouds. Such a nice vape!

see some evidence that vaporised cannabinoids from different devices are distinct enough for it to matter
People keep going on about the experience
Just sayin'. Subjective evidence is evidence. Given how different the experience is from one user to another, time of day, mood, etc, and the fact that we're not even sure how or why or even what individual cannabinoids have which effects, or how they interact, we probably don't have the means currently to have something like a more objective approach.

But I think it's reasonable to accept that if most reported experiences concur, the general effect is established. At least until we understand all the complex interactions much better than we do now.

simba

@weedanwine
Just sayin'. Subjective evidence is evidence. Given how different the experience is from one user to another, time of day, mood, etc, and the fact that we're not even sure how or why or even what individual cannabinoids have which effects, or how they interact, we probably don't have the means currently to have something like a more objective approach.

But I think it's reasonable to accept that if most reported experiences concur, the general effect is established. At least until we understand all the complex interactions much better than we do now.

Ok and I think the effects are generally the same, and the biggest differences between vapes is their efficiency.

I've made it very clear I'm being reductionist and simplifying greatly, but it seemed people took that as me demeaning their experiences and hobby/passion. Which I'm not but 🤷🏽‍♂️

People talking about the different experience are generally including everything from picking up the vape to loading it etc... all that ritual as well as the effects from the herb. That's not at all where I'm coming from.

To bring this more on topic, I've had my vapor genie a few days now and will make a full post about it soon, but in short I am liking it.

coolbreeze

Nice. I see they don't have the twisted bowls listed under the handcarved currently. I always liked those ones. Bronze Sherlock description: "This is one of our favorite vaporizers – it’s right up there with the Glass Sherlock. The ergonomics are perfect. The draw is easy and smooth. And it’s nearly indestructible. It hits like the glass sherlock, but it won’t break if you drop it." If it hits like the Glass Sherlock, you will love it. I have a glass pocket sherlock, as well. I use it less but it's still very nice.

simba

@weedanwine
Nice. I see they don't have the twisted bowls listed under the handcarved currently. I always liked those ones. Bronze Sherlock description: "This is one of our favorite vaporizers – it’s right up there with the Glass Sherlock. The ergonomics are perfect. The draw is easy and smooth. And it’s nearly indestructible. It hits like the glass sherlock, but it won’t break if you drop it." If it hits like the Glass Sherlock, you will love it. I have a glass pocket sherlock, as well. I use it less but it's still very nice.
Agree on the twisted bowls, the spiral are quite nice too. Although I think if I buy another VG it will be the bronze sherlock. It would be nice to see the bowl from that angle as you use the lighter. I've generally been fine with the classic one I've got, but did aim badly once and fuck the paint some.

So after a week or so with the VG I think I've got a pretty good handle on it now and what I like and dislike.

The first day getting it, I tried a few bowls back to back using normal lighters, hemp wick and a torch lighter. I got the technique straight away, it was easy to pick up. Using hemp wick was a bit crap and annoying, the candle flame lighter was alright but I found the ABV was only getting to a sandy tone. I preferred the torch lighter, it was much better IME. Much easier to get the level of extraction that I need.

I am glad I never bought one of these in my early vaping days though, I think I would've combusted A LOT 🤣 after a few bowls though I started to get a headache. I wasn't sure whether it was anything to do with the VG or coincidental so I left it a couple of days before going back to it.

After picking up the VG again, I exclusively used torch lighters and didn't have any more issues with headaches thankfully. I've been able to get an even vape on my bowls and the hits are solid and flavourful. I like this vape quite a lot, it's pretty convenient and think it's found a place in my vaping line-up.

There are a few things I don't like about it, there's always something right 🙄

So I hate the mouthpiece, I don't like plastic mouthpieces at all, but this feels like a particularly terrible one. Looking at the site there don't seem to be any alternatives except for the glass pieces. I also don't like the screen, it was annoying and I managed to flip it a few times when stirring my bowl between hits. I went to see if a basket screen would fit in, and the one I had kinda fits 😬 it's basically stuck in there now and not sure I could easily get it out, but for now it did solve the screen problem and as long as I don't want to remove it then it's fine I guess. Also I wouldn't mind some kind of collar for the bowl, I haven't actually burnt myself but got a little hot touch I guess. Something like the silicon ring things you get with the e-cig tanks would work but I couldn't find anything to fit it.

All in all though I am liking the VG and will buy the bronze sherlock and maybe the glass one too in the future.

Enough blathering on from me, here's a vid of me hitting it.

coolbreeze

Agree on the twisted bowls, the spiral are quite nice too. Although I think if I buy another VG it will be the bronze sherlock. It would be nice to see the bowl from that angle as you use the lighter. I've generally been fine with the classic one I've got, but did aim badly once and fuck the paint some.

So after a week or so with the VG I think I've got a pretty good handle on it now and what I like and dislike.

The first day getting it, I tried a few bowls back to back using normal lighters, hemp wick and a torch lighter. I got the technique straight away, it was easy to pick up. Using hemp wick was a bit crap and annoying, the candle flame lighter was alright but I found the ABV was only getting to a sandy tone. I preferred the torch lighter, it was much better IME. Much easier to get the level of extraction that I need.

I am glad I never bought one of these in my early vaping days though, I think I would've combusted A LOT 🤣 after a few bowls though I started to get a headache. I wasn't sure whether it was anything to do with the VG or coincidental so I left it a couple of days before going back to it.

After picking up the VG again, I exclusively used torch lighters and didn't have any more issues with headaches thankfully. I've been able to get an even vape on my bowls and the hits are solid and flavourful. I like this vape quite a lot, it's pretty convenient and think it's found a place in my vaping line-up.

There are a few things I don't like about it, there's always something right 🙄

So I hate the mouthpiece, I don't like plastic mouthpieces at all, but this feels like a particularly terrible one. Looking at the site there don't seem to be any alternatives except for the glass pieces. I also don't like the screen, it was annoying and I managed to flip it a few times when stirring my bowl between hits. I went to see if a basket screen would fit in, and the one I had kinda fits 😬 it's basically stuck in there now and not sure I could easily get it out, but for now it did solve the screen problem and as long as I don't want to remove it then it's fine I guess. Also I wouldn't mind some kind of collar for the bowl, I haven't actually burnt myself but got a little hot touch I guess. Something like the silicon ring things you get with the e-cig tanks would work but I couldn't find anything to fit it.

All in all though I am liking the VG and will buy the bronze sherlock and maybe the glass one too in the future.

Enough blathering on from me, here's a vid of me hitting it.
Nice. I hate to say it, but if I had found this (or taken it seriously) earlier on it probably would have discouraged a lot of other purchases, it's just such a good, easy, reliable producer. And the glass one, at least, has as good flavor as anything, pretty much.

Re: mouthpiece, I seem to recall that coming up real early in the thread, with people just removing them and liking it better that way.

Glad you're enjoying it.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: simba

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Is there anyone here who owns, or has tried, both the glass sherlock and the bronze models? Which did you like better, and why?

I ask because i believe that the glass model is probably very functional, and easy to clean...but I like the aesthetics, including the retro look, of the bronze model better than the glass.

Ramahs,
Reactions: TeaCup

avapehead

I have the glass sherlock and would not personally consider any of the other models.

Can't beat the purity of glass for flavor.

My only suggestion for improvement would be a fixed glass screen in the bowl as opposed to the metal screen insert.

coolbreeze

Is there anyone here who owns, or has tried, both the glass sherlock and the bronze models? Which did you like better, and why?

I ask because i believe that the glass model is probably very functional, and easy to clean...but I like the aesthetics, including the retro look, of the bronze model better than the glass.
The comparison I quoted above came from VG's website; I would assume that if they felt comfortable making that comparison so plain, it's apt. So, if their own comparison is accurate, then the bronze should be as awesome as it looks, cuz the glass one does indeed kick serious butt! I don't think you can go wrong!

From early in the thread:
Howdy! IMO VG is a great choice for a first vape. Not as easy to use as some, but it does a great job and it'll teach you a lot about vapor if you let it. Stuff like you don't "smoke" anything, you roast your herb at about 400F until the good stuff literally boils out of it leaving the junk behind.

Sorry, no, not a good machine for concentrates. Yes, very easy to clean if you go with metal or glass. Wood ones don't clean well. Goof up and combust there and you'll be tasting it for a long time.

As far at the best hit part, my advice is 'follow the instructions'.....strange as that idea is to many. Stay away from the metal bats, IMO too hard to aim the fire at the sweet spot. Likewise the coil. I assume the glass version is the same, I just haven't ever tried.

For my money the new Bronze one is the easiest to use and best performing of the lot. Lots of mass so it stays cool, easy to see what you're doing, very 'hand friendly'. Couple that with a torch type lighter able to deliver lots of heat precisely and you're good to go. Mine is fast, easy and effective. The lighter doesn't have to be high end, in fact I suggest a few of these guys:
http://dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-1320

I've got several spread around here, mighty handy in their own right IMO.

Best wishes.

OF

Last edited:

simba

@weedanwine
My only suggestion for improvement would be a fixed glass screen in the bowl as opposed to the metal screen insert.
Any suggestions? Not sure any I've used before would work in this situation.

I was cleaning out an old tin and found a spare puffco peak ring bit and tried it on the VG and it works great. Just avoids any burns when I pick it up carelessly as I'm wont to do.

S00NzHk

coolbreeze

I should have also mentioned that the all glass Elev8r bowl provides a means for anyone who wishes to experience the VaporGenie through a water device.
I'll add that they sell the glass heater top separately and if you already own the elev8r bowl it's the cheapest, most effective entry into the VG world. It's also probably the cheapest and most effective convection torch vape available at anything like that price point. Its only real competition there is some of @RogueGuy 's glass vapes, and maybe the Lamart Piro.

Goneja

I should have also mentioned that the all glass Elev8r bowl provides a means for anyone who wishes to experience the VaporGenie through a water device.
As does the VaporGenie Coil. I find it's easiest to use with a torch as a soft flame flutters too much during the inhale. If used through a dry bong a soft flame works fine.

TeaCup

The VaporGenie filter will fit the all glass Elev8r bowl that is available with a fixed glass screen, which in turn will fit a 14mm J-hook.
What does the filter do? I have the non glass Elev8r and they include a ceramic disc for it, for which I never really knew what it was for.

TeaCup,
Top Bottom