• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VaporGenie

maremaresing

@sunyata Thanks for breaking it down more. That sounds like a neat mod. I gotta get some off these balls that are so popular.

Regarding the torch, my torch won't work upside down, and it seems like thats what is recommended. Not shooting it horizontally above the opening? I also don't want to overshoot and burn my handcarved.

maremaresing,

QF1994

I can chip in a little on that the torch game. Essentially it seems to be that the tricky thing with this one is to get the heat distribution reasonably even. I saw a mod on here where someone had added 3ish boro beads or something underneath the ceramic disc with a screen. I initially tried that with my hand-carved, but it was a bit meh. I then bought a whole bunch 3mm stainless steel balls (dirt cheap on amazon as bottle cleaners) and added an entire layer underneath the disc. Works a charme, you need to keep the flame moving pretty quick and draw circles, with a 1.5-2ish cm flame at the rough height of the intake. Super fast production, pretty even roasting. Oh also, the magic flight wooden stems with the pipe stem, looks quite nice and prevents you from going cross-eyed whilst trying to maneuver the flame.
Like these?: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Bearing-Balls-Stainless-Precision/dp/B07YFXBP3Q/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=3mm+stainless+steel+balls&qid=1613244076&sr=8-2&th=1

Also, I had a little more luck this AM, got some decent vapor out of it...but the flavor still feels lacking vs the dynavap. I'm guessing that's going to come with improved technique...

Edit (didn't want to double post): I was skimming this entire thread, so if I read parts of it right I could unscrew the top from the VG body and use other pipe bodies instead? I don't have any others handy, but just thinking that would be a cool trick to have in my back pocket to change things up...

Last edited:
QF1994,
Reactions: macbill

GoldenBud

Also, I had a little more luck this AM, got some decent vapor out of it...but the flavor still feels lacking vs the dynavap. I'm guessing that's going to come with improved technique...
the taste should be much better than the DV (and getting even better with the 3 beads....) , is the device clean?
I like it with 3mm boro (3 beads) under the ceramic, with a screen. but 3mm SS316 beads sounds great too, need to try

GoldenBud,

QF1994

the taste should be much better than the DV (and getting even better with the 3 beads....) , is the device clean?
I like it with 3mm boro (3 beads) under the ceramic, with a screen. but 3mm SS316 beads sounds great too, need to try
I did clean it, but maybe I’ll do another cleaning before I try it again later.

I love the form factor so I’m not planning on giving up! I just need to work out what I’m doing wrong...I’m going to try to use my bigger torch lighter tonight, not for the flame size, just because it’s a little easier to manipulate since it’s not so tiny, I’m thinking it might be easier to grasp flame placement and movement that way (it’s how I got really good with my dynavap-I used the bigger size torch until I got it down, and then I picked up a Zippo butane insert and a tiny eagle).

GoldenBud

I did clean it, but maybe I’ll do another cleaning before I try it again later.
I recommend using pipe cleaner, and if you have some burned wood maybe use some Rum to clean it.. don't use alcohol... QTip soaked in warm water or Rum..

GoldenBud,

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
Yeah you wanna go pretty straight aiming down towards the ceramic disc. There is a bit of exposed wood between the intake shielding and the bracket that holds the ceramic and you can torch that by accident. Also obviously you don't wannlt to worch the wood around the intake, which is partially why I dig the wooden mlfb mouthpiece so much. Better view of what's going on.

Also, yes to those steel balls @QF1994 as I said, I tried the glass but found the steel better. They heat up super quick and pretty even. Still, the genie wasn't designed for it, it needs good feel to not overtoast.

Here's a few photos, if you zoom in on the screen on the underside of that bowl top you can kinda make out the balls. Bit of a hitch to perfectly fit a screen BTW.

Also there's another little mod I put in, the screen on the inside of the bowl is one of the ones that come with the Boundless tera. Much easier to clean, more consistent.

Vaporgenie 2.0 is the way

QF1994

I'm so happy I found this site! You guys have been insanely helpful, I finally cracked getting good, tasty vapor out of the VG! I read all your comments, and then I went back and re-read like 2/3 of this entire thread, and I tried again tonight and finally I'm getting vapor and not a mouthful of butane-flavored hot air. I think i was holding the torch at terrible angles, I just hovered it above the opening and pulled gently until I felt the air heat up, then I moved it around and pulled a little harder. Seems to be working well now! The avb looks nice and brown, and the flavor is much better.

I'm hitting hemp for the CBD so sometimes the flavor is a little weaker-I purposely used my most potent-tasting bud tonight and it's so wildly different than last night! I'm thrilled. And I feel so goddamn classy puffing on my pipe ;)

GoldenBud

I'm so happy I found this site! You guys have been insanely helpful
thanks alot and you're welcome, friend! but... i just figured out you said and i kinda missed it - you've got an aluminum classic VG. you don't have a wooden body for the VG, you can clean it with even 96% Ethanol/ISO . 70% also ok, 90+ just will clean better.
"
  • The bottom can be cleaned with alcohol or hot soapy water. This is not possible with wooden vaporizers.
"

so.. i really suggest you to do so! after cleaning with Ethanol just clean it with water, dry it and let it go! pure taste **especially if you brought it second handed...the old owner probably didn't do it....

GoldenBud,

maremaresing

It does feel classy! I like how light the handcarved is, yet how solid the screw top fitting seems.

@sunyata thanks for the tips. I might just try those. Shouldn't the screen go on top of the retainer? That way doesn't let it fall too deep?

maremaresing,
Reactions: sunyata

QF1994

thanks alot and you're welcome, friend! but... i just figured out you said and i kinda missed it - you've got an aluminum classic VG. you don't have a wooden body for the VG, you can clean it with even 96% Ethanol/ISO . 70% also ok, 90+ just will clean better.
"
  • The bottom can be cleaned with alcohol or hot soapy water. This is not possible with wooden vaporizers.
"

so.. i really suggest you to do so! after cleaning with Ethanol just clean it with water, dry it and let it go! pure taste **especially if you brought it second handed...the old owner probably didn't do it....
Lol I just thought maybe you were suggesting rum or bourbon for the taste! I did give the whole bottom a nice ISO bath and rinse, I got it direct from VaporGenie but figured with a pandemic and a ride through several states and the USPS a bath wasn't a bad idea!

Also now that just saves the bourbon for drinking.

QF1994,

El Rawn Hubbard

I'd consider a jet flame mandatory for good results. As long as you don't run it too close I feel like it actually gives more margin for error than candle flame lighters. The even, steady flame on a jet seems much easier to aim and hold at a consistent distance away from the ceramic. I also hated the amount of butane taste and soot that candle flames give.

Apart from using a jet, I'd suggest persevering with the stock configuration before modding anything. The devices function really well if you put effort into the technique and understanding basics on things like heat transfer and air flow.

I find it interesting these haven't had a renaissance given their cost and the popularity of wood block vapes. From memory my SS coil and bubbler together was less than half the cost of a brick. I guess lots of people are happy to jump on a bandwagon or are put off by having to practice to get good results?

El Rawn Hubbard,
Reactions: OF

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
It does feel classy! I like how light the handcarved is, yet how solid the screw top fitting seems.

@sunyata thanks for the tips. I might just try those. Shouldn't the screen go on top of the retainer? That way doesn't let it fall too deep?
Nah actually the screen doesn't fall through, the retainer is there to prevent the screen from falling out when empty it

sunyata,

QF1994

Update: I'm getting the hang of the VG, but there's one thing I've noticed-the mouthpiece is not great. I don't know if it has a weird taste, or if I'm pulling weird with it so I get a butane taste, but it definitely makes things taste vaguely funky versus no mouthpiece (or when I shoved a metal straw in to use as a mouthpiece just for curiosity). I ordered a mighty flight stem and I'm guessing it might help. Are there any other stems or mouthpieces that fit in the VG to replace the plastic one? I think if I can replace the mouthpiece it really fixes my main issue.

Edit: Almost definitely the plastic mouthpiece. I just popped the VG topper on a tiny screw top pipe and while the vapor was very hot from the tiny pathway, it didnt taste off at all-so it has to be the mouthpiece causing the aftertaste! Hopefully the mighty flight stem solves it, but as I said if there's others I'm open to trying more.

Last edited:
QF1994,

GoldenBud

Edit: Almost definitely the plastic mouthpiece. I just popped the VG topper on a tiny screw top pipe and while the vapor was very hot from the tiny pathway, it didnt taste off at all-so it has to be the mouthpiece causing the aftertaste! Hopefully the mighty flight stem solves it, but as I said if there's others I'm open to trying more.
the wooden mouthpiece is great, i used it alot

GoldenBud,

Maryland Vapor

Stopped by a random LHS, ostensibly in search of a new torch lighter for my Vapcap, and found myself making an impulse buy. Picked up a Glass Bat for $35! I have to admit that I am not super enamored of the inline intake so far.

They also had a glass Sherlock for a good price, that I am probably going back for. Nice change of pace from the VC.

QF1994

Stopped by a random LHS, ostensibly in search of a new torch lighter for my Vapcap, and found myself making an impulse buy. Picked up a Glass Bat for $35! I have to admit that I am not super enamored of the inline intake so far.

They also had a glass Sherlock for a good price, that I am probably going back for. Nice change of pace from the VC.
Nice! I'm also an avid fan of the Dynavap, so I'm curious what your experiences are comparing the two. Right now I feel like the VG is excellent for quick, on-demand hits because it's so, so fast and from what I'm getting so far, more intense than a quick VapCap hit. On the other hand, my dynavap+mini rig is nice for more relaxed vaping.

I'm swapping between the two trying to get my VG technique down, so I can better compare the two...I do think the VG has a slightly harder learner's curve than the Dynavap, but not impossibly so. I'm so trained by the vapcap click that it's weird to re-learn how to judge based on the temp of the vapor instead.

QF1994,

GoldenBud

I'm swapping between the two trying to get my VG technique down, so I can better compare the two...I do think the VG has a slightly harder learner's curve than the Dynavap, but not impossibly so. I'm so trained by the vapcap click that it's weird to re-learn how to judge based on the temp of the vapor instead.
Yeah, with the VG you need to know if the flame it too small you need to inhale very slowly, and if it's too big you need to take fast draw.... this thing is not needed with the DV... even if you don't know how to inhale, you will get a fine result...

maremaresing

That's a fantastic deal on a Glass Bat. 70 msrp is a bit north of what I'd like to pay for one, but it's such a neat design. How's the weight and size in the hand? Is it easier to use since you can see the whole flame? Does the material fall to the side?

My coil VG was pretty amazing the times I used it. Always surprised me how hard it hit. Not being able to see the flame was a problem, and it just held so much. I think the SS bat is more appealing since you can securely screw things together, and see the flame.

maremaresing,
Reactions: KidFated.

GoldenBud

They should be restocking the bronze Sherlock hopefully next week :rockon:they said just waiting on some parts.
As I understood, this model works perfectly even without the 3 beads under the SiC mod...that stem cools the vapor...interesting one for sure!!

GoldenBud,
Reactions: OF

OF

Yeah, with the VG you need to know if the flame it too small you need to inhale very slowly, and if it's too big you need to take fast draw.... this thing is not needed with the DV... even if you don't know how to inhale, you will get a fine result...
Excellent point. The two are by no means the same sort of vape. The DV's 'click' sensor takes a lot of the learning issues and puts them to rest, even if it does mean you always get the same result under the same conditions.....everyone using it more or less the same? That is, unless you start adding a bit of 'extra heat' to the cycle, you always get the same total heat input (existing heat, plus what you add) to support the upcoming hit.

VG, OTOH, is not so constrained. You can easily (or at least fairly so) continue to add heat as you take the hit and the heat stored in the heat exchanger is larger as well, so you can easily get more modest or much bigger hits from VG. VG is much more versatile. IMO VG is in a different class for that reason. DV and Vapman share more in common, both being a 'heat it, then drop the heating and hit it (unless you're using a WT with the Vapman as some do. And, still, VM offers a much wider range compared to DV.

VG and DV both use torches to provide heat for making vapor. I think the similarity rapidly disappears from that point on?

Regards to all.

OF

Top Bottom