VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
If I understand correctly when Pipes started it was to test whether such a thing would even work.
I believe that explains why his thread started in the DIY section and not the Vapor Related Equipment section with the other brands.
I hope folks with those original Jar Head units treasure them. They've got a charming look, and they're little pieces of history.
I remember when those were still for sale. I probably should have picked one up, but I wasn't much into my vapcaps back then. I remember the Trump one was an ugly motherfucker. :lol:

My unit crossed the Canuck border and is in Chi-town baby.
I got lucky this time. I always miss it when something new comes out and end up being the last to know. I just happened to be surfing the threads when he posted the HS up and got the #4 slot.
I wonder who got #1???

Would one of these work as an HS charger?

Last edited:

seki

I wonder who got #1???
I can't say for sure, but it did tell me that I was #1 as soon as I signed up. I've also already received mine, so maybe me?

God I love carnival, wish they didn't cancel it.
I loved Carnivale too, but isn't that gif from Twin Peaks? I could be wrong, it's been years since I watched either.

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to use the HS for the past couple of days. But I was able to snap a couple of comparison pics. It turns out, the HotShot is almost exactly the same size as a Milaana 1:
hotshot1.jpg

hotshot2.jpg

hotshot3.jpg

Also, the case is really nice! I'm not big on logos usually, but I like it:
hotshot5.jpg

hotshot6.jpg

Closed it's just a little thicker than the Portside Mini. I like the addition of the case to the package. Definitely a nice value-add IMO.

It seems like there's some consistency with the lighting and there definitely seems to be some sort of pattern/timing to it, but more testing is required. I thought the cycle was complete when it went back to red on my first attempt, but it looks like it's longer than that based on my second attempt.

MerryMarauder

I can't say for sure, but it did tell me that I was #1 as soon as I signed up. I've also already received mine, so maybe me?

I loved Carnivale too, but isn't that gif from Twin Peaks? I could be wrong, it's been years since I watched either.

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to use the HS for the past couple of days. But I was able to snap a couple of comparison pics. It turns out, the HotShot is almost exactly the same size as a Milaana 1:
hotshot1.jpg

hotshot2.jpg

hotshot3.jpg

Also, the case is really nice! I'm not big on logos usually, but I like it:
hotshot5.jpg

hotshot6.jpg

Closed it's just a little thicker than the Portside Mini. I like the addition of the case to the package. Definitely a nice value-add IMO.

It seems like there's some consistency with the lighting and there definitely seems to be some sort of pattern/timing to it, but more testing is required. I thought the cycle was complete when it went back to red on my first attempt, but it looks like it's longer than that based on my second attempt.
You know what I think your right about the gif. Haven't watch either in a while.

How's the hotshot heating profile compared to the psm? Thanks man.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
How's the hotshot heating profile compared to the psm? Thanks man.

I recommend everyone taking a look at the HS Instruction sheet. I didn't until just yesterday. It's a separate link off of @Pipes' main Google page.

It led me to this very interesting statement, " The driver heats about 40% slower compared to the PSM and takes about 8-12 seconds to click."

This very exciting to me because my PSM always ran a bit hotter than my Caldron. The PSM does a great job, but I've always preferred the slower heat up of my Caldron. I've felt the slower heat soak gives a more balanced heating all the way through the herb. Maybe similar to the experience that many prefer with an alcohol burner?
With the heat up even more gradual with the HS, I am excited about my future sessions.

There is also a reference to extra parts in the unit that can be used to adjust the depth of the vapcap in the heating chamber?
"Included is a spare heatshield and friction pad."
Looks like the HS is more easily adjustable. Which is nice.

Last edited:

bener

Vapeologist
I recommend everyone taking a look at the HS Instruction sheet. I didn't until just yesterday. It's a separate link off of @Pipes' main Google page.

It led me to this very interesting statement, " The driver heats about 40% slower compared to the PSM and takes about 8-12 seconds to click."

This very exciting to me because my PSM always ran a bit hotter than my Caldron. The PSM does a great job, but I've always preferred the slower heat up of my Caldron. I've felt the slower heat soak gives a more balanced heating all the way through the herb. Maybe similar to the experience that many prefer with an alcohol burner?
With the heat up even more gradual with the HS, I am excited about my future sessions.

There is also a reference to extra parts in the unit that can be used to adjust the depth of the vapcap in the heating chamber?
"Included is a spare heatshield and friction pad."
Looks like the HS is more easily adjustable. Which is nice.

I agree. Especially this:

It’s like a single-jet torch vs a dual- or triple-jet.
I am happy about this slower heat up time too. I often pause during heating for a more heat soaking style heat up.

MerryMarauder

I agree. Especially this:

It’s like a single-jet torch vs a dual- or triple-jet.
I am happy about this slower heat up time too. I often pause during heating for a more heat soaking style heat up.
I do the same with my psm. Can't wait for my turn to grab the hotshot.

despeRAWdo

Fan of Hot Air Makers.
Got an email that mine has been delivered. Now I just gotta wait till I get home. Restaurant life has it's advantages, but getting home at a reasonable time when you have a new toy waiting for you is not one of them.

SonicBacon

I have been looking around without much luck but I am wondering if there could be a USB battery meter that could be plugged in to the hotshot to determine the level of charge. Does anyone know of such a thing?

I love that I can check my status on the waitlist, I am up to #30 now from 74.

Jozin88

I think mine gets here tomorrow or Friday.

What's the best way to get that slow roasted temp being discussed, with the PSM? Pulse heating, or pausing for a sec before the click?

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I have been looking around without much luck but I am wondering if there could be a USB battery meter that could be plugged in to the hotshot to determine the level of charge. Does anyone know of such a thing?

I love that I can check my status on the waitlist, I am up to #30 now from 74.
A USB meter will only tell you the charging status, you cannot determine the charge afterward on the USB (5V) side.
You will get a feel for how many bowls you get so just keep topping up when you're getting close. (after conditioning of course). :science:

Top Bottom