• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
The megagear case is a gamechanger for the PSM. Before my PSM was really uncomfortable in a coat pocket. Now it is very easy to carry with the shoulder strap. I don't think you can get a better portable IH in this config.

volksie

Thanks @Pipes! Love my Caldron but wish i would have brought it with me on a recent cross country trip. The car adapter will be a game changer for next time.

Hi All I have a question about using the mains powered IH in the car.

Are there any specific requirements for

1. The IH unit itself? like it must have a mosfet to work in car? Mine doesnt
2. The car? 2001 Toyota Corolla ok?
3. The adapter? Based on @Pipes post above, I managed to track this one down, which is available locally in South Africa. The specs say it has a 10A fuse. Would this work? https://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?Item=72M3681

Your kind guidance and assistance is appreciated.

volksie,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You might get in touch with @Pipes on the car-cord. They need some heft to not melt in the lighter socket. As long as the IH doesn't have an internal battery, the car lighter socket should work fine. No need for the mosfet switch.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hi there and welcome to the club.
1/ I can't say if this is good or bad depending on how you got your unit put together. Since you are on the move and should be avoiding distractions, safety is a big concern. These devices are pulling a lot of power and if something does go south, having it inside a fireproof enclosure is very important. I think having to use a switch adds to the distraction.
2/Toyota's will burn as good as any car.
3/That one should work as the specs say it's 18AWG which is minimum gauge.
The biggest caution about using a car adapter is to ensure it is completely pushed in for good tip contact in the accessory outlet. If the tip isn't pushed firmly in. If not, the end of the adaptor's tip will melt from the connection been weak, causing it to fail. Also, the accessory jack itself should be inspected for a clean bottom contact before use.
Please play safe! :science:

Sketch420

Can anyone link me to a good replacement battery for the PS mini that's a good price? Thanks so much.

Been using these heaters since they came out and they've been going strong for years. Can't wait to see what the next version is.

Sketch420,

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Looked around for what might work?

This one is 40c not 20c

This appears to match but looks longer than what @Pipes uses

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: Sketch420

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Physical size is important or you won't be able to fit it in the enclosure.
Just keep an eye on HobbyKing as their stock comes and goes regularly. Maybe contact them to get an idea when they are going to have stock. :nod:

Hello all!

I am new here and I just recieved my Caldron in the mail today. Everything went well for the first two clicks, and then the tactile switch got stuck and continued to heat for about 30 seconds before I realized and unplugged the power cord. I opened it up to see if I fried the unit but all the electronics look fine. After shaving down the silicone coin as per the FAQ, I realized that the tactile button was sticking all on its own! I gave the unit a tap on the back, which worked, but the button got stuck immediately after. I really don't want to tap the unit anymore to stop it from heating, regardless of how sturdy it is. What's the protocol here? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks! :)

driedpickles,
Reactions: Pipes

Jethro66

Hello everyone and thinks for the knowledge on this site..Dumb question,what is the white and red plugs for on pipes wire harness

Jethro66,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I think you are referring to the extra heatshield/cushion/spacer package I've started including. Those are for the tube of the driver. Used for spare or spacer options. :nod:

Pipes,

rvarick

I’ve been reading through the recent posts and was trying to figure out if/how I may be able to mod my PSM with a silicone spacer to stop it from further denting my caps. My PSM was purchased in March of this year if it matters as far as type of switch. My questions were:
  • Have other PSM users tried this as a DYI? If so, did it work/help?
  • What’s a good option for the silicone? (or anyone have a link to one?)
  • Any tips/tricks for cutting to size and installing?
  • Does this affect the heating? If so, are other adjustments needed to compensate (lowering coil, etc.)
Thanks in advance!

rvarick,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I’ve been reading through the recent posts and was trying to figure out if/how I may be able to mod my PSM with a silicone spacer to stop it from further denting my caps. My PSM was purchased in March of this year if it matters as far as type of switch. My questions were:
  • Have other PSM users tried this as a DYI? If so, did it work/help?
  • What’s a good option for the silicone? (or anyone have a link to one?)
  • Any tips/tricks for cutting to size and installing?
  • Does this affect the heating? If so, are other adjustments needed to compensate (lowering coil, etc.)
Thanks in advance!
You will have the 1/2 sphere pearl type heat shield. It would seem some caps seem to dent easier than others as only a few have this problem. Could also be the asserted pressure although this is hard to confirm.
The solution is to cut a 12mm circle from a silicone oven glove. Use the thinner portion of the glove so there is little depth change. Also, cut slightly large or with a couple of burrs so it will stay in place. :science:
Good luck!

Vape_Or_Die420

You will have the 1/2 sphere pearl type heat shield. It would seem some caps seem to dent easier than others as only a few have this problem. Could also be the asserted pressure although this is hard to confirm.
The solution is to cut a 12mm circle from a silicone oven glove. Use the thinner portion of the glove so there is little depth change. Also, cut slightly large or with a couple of burrs so it will stay in place. :science:
Good luck!
I have also found that cutting a piece out of an extra silicon concentrate container works great. I bet a lot of people have extras of these lying around like myself.

rvarick

Good luck!
I ended up having good success with cutting a small circle out of a $6 pair of mini oven mitts from Amazon to pad my PSM switch - link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CK4LSYD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gbLFFbS6WM4RE

The set I received actually had a lot of variation in thickness, which worked to my advantage as I was able to use a thinner piece. They also had a lot of smooth silicone surface to work with, vs. ridged, etc. like other non-mini ones seemed to lack.

To cut to size, I found that an old 510 cartridge tube I had was exactly 12mm in width, which I was able to use to mark the silicone by pushing into it. Marking the tube with pencil lead first also helped to mark out a circle for cutting. The first piece I cut ended up being too exact, as it would fall out of the tube. However, I was able to then use it as a guide in cutting another piece just slightly larger, and with some imperfect edges to help grab on the sides of the glass tube. I then pushed this into the tube with a fine point sharpie’s back end. It’s stayed-put since, has held up to the temps of my caps well, and has definitely helped with the “click-feel”.

Edit: forgot to say thanks to @Pipes for walking me through the mod and for the link to the oven mitts I ended up using!

Last edited:
rvarick,
Reactions: Pipes

Whissmu

Hi :wave::wave:
I have been with my PSM for a long time and am very happy :luv::luv: how it performs and the extra comfort it gives to my vapcaps!!:tup:

Excuse me for my ignorance :hmm:but i see another PSM with round magnet, can I get one?

My magnet is out
E2-F5-D220-8-A32-4888-B4-DA-66510-BFFA0-AF.jpg

I also lost a leg from the base

02935-DCD-509-E-49-D0-B945-562-E62-D4-B4-BF.jpg

Whissmu,

Sketch420

So odd question, i have a portside original that I've had since they came out. It works great with batteries and on the power suppy. Only thing is all of my VC's work in it except one specific one. When plugged into the wall with no batteries it will blink very quickly with the red light and the light on the power supply. It will heat the lead but very slowly. Works fine with batteries but not by just the power supply (not charger). Anyone have any suggestions or heard of this before? Is it my power supply or the electronics? i bought the exact one linked in the FAQ. Thanks so much!

Also i can't believe the person above me has the feet on their PS, mine fell off the first week i had it haha.

Sketch420,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
You have actually hit a common problem. Even the supplies I provide have this problem with a small percentage.
It seems these high rated power supplies aren't all set properly as to the current cut-off level. Even though they are rated for 8 amps, some go into protection too easily. We are only using 5-6 amps with a surge of maybe a bit more but well under 8 amps. I recommend Amazon for this reason as they will send a replacement right away.
Also, be sure that your PSM is turned off while using a supply and have the battery topped up just in case. If a dead battery sees an 8 amp supply, it will charge at a very high rate and will be bad news all around. :( If the battery is full it's not so critical as it will not charge with its internal voltage,12.6 volts when full, is higher than 12 volts. Still not recommended as the battery will get continuously charged when it depletes below 12 volts. This demonstrated the difference between a voltage regulated 'supply' vs a current regulated 'charger'. So many think they are the same thing which in some situations are but not all.

As for the round magnet, yes, I change over to round almost 2 years ago. It's a 9mmx2mm diametrically magnetized. The rubber feet can be found in a dollar store, hobby shop, or even at Walmart. :science:

Whissmu

As for the round magnet, yes, I change over to round almost 2 years ago. It's a 9mmx2mm diametrically magnetized. The rubber feet can be found in a dollar store, hobby shop, or even at Walmart. :science:

Thank you very much for the information, here in Spain it is being difficult for me to find it but I do not give up on my search :goon::goon::goon:

Whissmu,

goodpunk6

@Pipes. My PSM is a touch old and no longer charges. I opened it up and discovered that all soldering was still in-tact. I'm guessing its the battery. Where can I find a replacement battery?

Top Bottom