Underdog Log Vapes

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Congrats Dave, I hope you love lit as much as I l love mine. The taste with the UD through it is awesome.

Gonzo,

stroh

errl enthusiast
great to see Dave pumping out the awesomeness, and it also looks like we have some new pack members, welcome, i'm sure you have all been situated, and are comfy and well medicated :) i've got a couple things in the works, so without further ado, here are some screen grabs (ungraded, down-res'd, and heavily compressed by imageshack mind you) of the latest underdog production, featuring the afzelia twig!

picture8ng.png

picture9it.png

apart from being aesthetically pleasing(at least i hope so!), it will also be a good demonstration video for basic usage and maintenance of the Underdogs for new users. just made a switch to a new camera model, so i've been learning as i go, so please don't be too annoyed if it takes a little while longer to finish up, i've been pretty busy lately, but just wanted to drop in and say hi to the great folks here.

Dave, i will let you know when i plan on sending the tortuga in, the afzelia burl has been treating me quite nicely thus far, and i'm sure the new twigs will be going out to happy homes in the near future!

stroh,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey stroh, long time no see man, glad to see you back around these parts and excited to see your new UD stuff when you're done with it. Sounds like the Twig has been treating you well too. Yeah go ahead and send it the Tortuga whenever you want, just drop me a line and let me know it's on it's way if you can so I can make sure and expect it.

Back to the shop for me, burning the midnight oil working to finish this batch of cores so I can build out the 2nd batch of UDs from this litter. :peace:

Hey UDs, what would you recommend in the way of a battery powered portable? Something easy to use, that provides strong hits (for a portable) and to be used by 1 person to take 1-2 hits 99% of the time.

underdog,
It should look something like this. It would be cool too if you could put a variable voltage up there but that seems like hard work.
image002.gif

edit: i was pretty vaked i thought you were making a battery powered ud and was asking us for advice. :/

VaporBoxed,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
placetime said:
OhTheAgony said:
Muut, we're going a but to much off topic I so I've answered you per email.

OTA & Muut-- If y'all don't mind, would you move it to the Glass section instead of off-site? I sure would be interested in hearing more info about and reviews of small bubblers for logs, and I bet others would be too. :) :2c:
:peace:

Too late I'm afraid, but if you have any particular questions you think I can answer you could just summon me there... ;)

VaporBoxed said:
It should look something like this. It would be cool too if you could put a variable voltage up there but that seems like hard work.
http://lightwell.net/moxie/moxieinstructions_files/image002.gif

Perhaps it's me, but I have no idea where you're comming from with this post.

*big ol' question mark*

underdog said:
Hey UDs, what would you recommend in the way of a battery powered portable? Something easy to use, that provides strong hits (for a portable) and to be used by 1 person to take 1-2 hits 99% of the time.

Dave. Sounds like you should look in to the MFLB and the Thermovape. Do some research to see if that's really what you want though, they each have their own 'characteristics' like every other vape. The Solo isn't really handy for just taking a hit or two imo, you'd waste a lot of vapor using one like that, unless you'll learn to pack it just right perhaps.

Perhaps wait for some DaVinci reviews? The Stealthvape and MiVape should be on their way too btw, in how much of a rush to get one are you?

If I were to buy a portable right now it would probably be the Gnome, but it doesn't work to well with batteries I'm afraid :lol:

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
underdog said:

Thermovape is the portable of choice for me personally. 1-2 hits would be absolutely perfect. If you want to use that cali hash...the revolution is even better you lucky bastard you LOL. The MFLB is pretty nice for 1-2 hits if you have a light tolerance though. BOTH of those vapes are more or less indestructible, but the MFLB wasn't getting the job done for my tolerance anymore (without irritating my throat in the process). There are others, but they tend to be more breakable and probably not worth it for 1-2 quick hits. The vapor genie is also an option, but I hate sucking on open flames and reacted VERY poorly to it.

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
darkrom said:
The vapor genie is also an option, but I hate sucking on open flames and reacted VERY poorly to it.

First of all, your post makes doing the research on the LB/TV I mentioned in my post virtually unnecessary, kudos for that.

Secondly, the sentence I quoted is the reason I won't use or recommend lighter based vapes that allow/force you to inhale butane (burned or not) directly. I can't prove it's unhealthy or dangerous, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I made that decision after using a Vapo Bowl as a daily driver for a full month btw.

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
darkrom said:
The vapor genie is also an option, but I hate sucking on open flames and reacted VERY poorly to it.

First of all, your post makes doing the research on the LB/TV I mentioned in my post virtually unnecessary, kudos for that.

Secondly, the sentence I quoted is the reason I won't use or recommend lighter based vapes that allow/force you to inhale butane (burned or not) directly. I can't prove it's unhealthy or dangerous, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I made that decision after using a Vapo Bowl as a daily driver for a full month btw.

People have insisted and even research shows that the butane is "burnt off" but when I was using 2 different lighter based vapes I was getting sores in my mouth similar to the kind you would get if you took a bite of pizza while it was fresh out of the oven. I would take a day off and they would be gone, use it the next day they were back...it was like this CONSTANTLY. A personal friend has been using a vapor genie for at least 2 years now and has loved it the whole time like a majority of people. Some people seem to be highly sensitive to butane I guess. I simply avoid it because there are other options that I personally feel are safer or better, at least for me. It's hard to argue with the VG fan base though...obviously they are doing something right!

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I managed to minimize the throat burn eventually when my torching-technique improved, but I kept having these head-aches too. Normally I never have head-aches, not even when hungover. But on top of that I also didn't care for the taste.

Dave, I think you missed a few questions (not all mine) since you've returned from you trip, so I'm just repeating them:

-Do you have any pictures of stem-caddies you made in the past you can show us?

-What (and when?) is the best way to apply the underbutter?

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

I've never had that ind of issues with my VG, I do use a torch tough
but in the beginning I used a regular flame and also can't remember having any of those things back then

djonkoman,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OTA use underbutter as much as you want. I like to apply it while warm and let it sit and sort of "soak" in while still on and heating.

The best applicator is like a t-shirt material or any soft cloth really. Just wipe it on as desired. Seems to be no wrong way or too much or too little in my experience.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:
Dave, I think you missed a few questions (not all mine) since you've returned from you trip, so I'm just repeating them:

-Do you have any pictures of stem-caddies you made in the past you can show us?

-What (and when?) is the best way to apply the underbutter?

Ah, thanks for bring the orphaned questions to my attention.. not that I'm only being able to check in once or twice a day it seems questions more prone to getting buried and my not seeing them.

- I can't find any pictures of old stem-caddies even thought I thought I had some, maybe they'll turn up yet. I'll be making some nicer ones soon though so you'll all be able to see those soon enough. Many many website updates to do at the same time.

- I like to apply the UB the way that darkrom mentioned, ie let the piece get nice and warmed up then use a soft cloth (t-shirt material is great) to lightly rub some UB onto the piece and let sit on there for a bit then wipe any left over stuff off the piece. You can also rub it on the leather bottom of the piece if you'd like. Try to avoid getting any on the core or in the bore hole around the core as it can result in minor amounts of smoking for a few hours until dried up.

Gotta go finish up some pieces in the shop then back for more FC updates.. :peace:

UPDATES: >>

Just finished this custom piece for a soon-to-be new pack member and thought I would post for you all to see. The goal was to make a nice sized End Grain Goblet similar to the Ash/Walnut one from the website but with Ash and Bloodwood and I think it turned out really nice. Hard to see in the photos but there's a nice amount of iridescence in the woods. Pictured with my new Silika CB-49 which is awesome, small and works great!

I'm also tossing up a pictures of the Silika with the Silver Maple UT for a better size comparison..

Alright, back to the shop again.. later.

Red&WhiteEGG.jpg

Red&WhiteEGG&Silika1.jpg

SilverMapleUT&Silika1.jpg

underdog,

scottio19

scotty
underdog said:

A smaller-sized log in height like my 3.5" tall twig, only thinner in diameter than 2" so it fits in the pockets better without bulging out. Also maybe switching back to the 1/4" 3-watt core for less power usage? A faster heatup time would be better, maybe using less stainless steel mass or work with another method of insulation that beats the ceramic heat shield/heat island designs. Maybe another SS cylinder around the original 1/4" core, with an air gap in between so heat must radiate through the air to the SS cylinder and then to the wood enclosure? Since it will be portable it'll be usually be used upright, and bud can sometimes fall onto the area around the heating port, wedging themselves into the top two star washers, which takes a little while to tap out. Also, when frequently put into and out of pockets, soft leather like on my twig can get a little messed up, so I recommend doing away with that. If you're thinking about a non-log portable, I don't have any ideas :ko:

scottio19,

underdog

Manufacturer
Thanks scottio - originally I was asking what your guys thoughts were on a non-UD battery operated portable, but good to see you've got UD on the brain. I like your ideas too and mine are very much inline with most of what you suggested. Maybe one day we will see a battery operated UD, that would be sweeeet!

underdog,

zymos

Just received my Gravlabs bubbler. No pix, I'm too lazy, but thanx for the tip y'all- glad I didn't go with the AV.

Works fine- does blunt the taste just slightly from what I've grown used to with the UD, but a smoother feeling in my lungs is a good trade off.

Also-
RE the post above this one- I thought the same thing as you as first, but I'm pretty sure Dave was just asking for a recommendation of existing products, not asking us for input for a portable UD he is designing.

I'd love it if I'm wrong about that tho'!!

(edit: Dave got there first with the first-hand explanation)

zymos,

underdog

Manufacturer
Nice zymos, how is the size of the one you got vs the one I got and pictured above? I knew the Silika one was going to be small but I was really surprised at just how small it was.

Oh, btw everyone we're working on website upgrades/updates here this evening so the site will be down off and on until we can get everything all dialed in.. thanks! :peace:

underdog,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Beautiful Goblet Dave! The Ash and Bloodwood contrast are very nice!

If you are looking for a portable to just get a few hits at a time I would recommend the Thermovape as well. For an all purpose portable I would go with the Arizer Solo.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Thanks for the butter-tips, and also thanks for all the bowl-stand suggestions guys, I forgot to mention that the other day.

I just checked to see if the website was up again and it is, but I think things got a little late last night and something went wrong Dave. It's either that, or I'm seeing double :lol:

How are you liking that little hammer so far btw? Mine was only intended for portable use, but I've been using at home a too as I like it a lot (and it's always fun to play with a new toy). But I do recommend getting a regular (10 to 12") bong someday if you like water filtration. It's just more versatile for home use and it does give me a lot more control because I can see what I'm doing better. It's fun to have choices though.

OhTheAgony,
My UD seemed to hit a new level this week. My abv is coming out dark brown and im extremely happy with it. The clouds seem denser and its been consistent.

Thanks for the awesome product!

VaporBoxed,

Mister

Way to show off the new pup, Dave ! Can't wait for it to arrive on my doorstep! I even got the wife excited now. When I told her the original plan, I think she was hesitant. I showed her the finished pictures last night and she said "whoa, now that's art!" The countdown is on!

Mister,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So I vaped at 14.0v today and it was too dark for my preferences. It was the closest I've ever come to combusting in the dog lol. I definitely don't see a need to ever boost it to over 13.5 at least not with my King's Jester.

darkrom,

placetime

underdog said:
Just finished this custom piece for a soon-to-be new pack member and thought I would post for you all to see. The goal was to make a nice sized End Grain Goblet similar to the Ash/Walnut one from the website but with Ash and Bloodwood and I think it turned out really nice. Hard to see in the photos but there's a nice amount of iridescence in the woods. Pictured with my new Silika CB-49 which is awesome, small and works great!
That bloodwood really pops Dave. Nice! :cool:
Any further comments on that Silika piece? Do you think something like that is a better match for an UD than an Aquavape is?

I haven't tried it myself, but there seems to be a growing number of people preferring a bowl like on that Silika bubbler over a "standard" 14.4mm joint for mating with UD silicone stems. What does everyone think about those two options for water filtration? 14.4 female joint/downstem or a more conical bowl, like on that Silika that Dave recently got?

placetime,

dorkus_molorkus

I have been using my vino at 13.8v & pretty well blazed about an oz in 3 days. :D

I did some comparison tests with the vino & solo & found that the were pretty even in their performance. So similar in fact I advised another member who i exchange emails with & owns the solo to just to wait for the cloud to come out.

Well this morning i wasnt getting any real vapor to speak with, even tho an hour before that there was heaps at 13.8v. So, I put it in the car on the cig lighter for a bit & was getting good vapor.

I returned the power supply & asked them to test the output for me. it was putting out 13.8v & 12v when clicked down to 12v. So, I dunno I figured.

I then asked if they could exchange the power supply for another type.

the one i got is 9-24v.

well I got home & put my puppy on 15v for 25mins or so. I then packed a bowl &.................................

HOLY SHIT BATMAN! they was the biggest, most lungbusting rips i have EVER had while vaping.
I got 2 massive hits from each stem, the second rip was quite bitter in taste & if i had to guess, I think maybe 15v puts the vino right on the edge of combustion.

But I dont care, i can quite honestly say after 4 days of use, I was getting a bit lukewarm on my UD & was missing my solo a bit.
Now, I have my puppy on 15v steroids, I do 5 stems very quickly (although i do tend to vague out a bit on stems 4 & 5) & stagger off super blazed & very satisfied.

But i am enjoying it so much i am going back for more every 30-40mins or so & going thru heaps of weed. :D

I got my whip sorted much better, I turned a 7th floor 18mm wpa into a UD elbow & it joins the 7th floor tube to the UD silicon bowl very elegantly, while forming a great seal.

So far a 15v UD is the most awesome vapor production i have seen in a vape yet. I turn it back to 12v when I am not using it & jack it up to 15v 5mins before i need it.

I will of course be counselling my friend that he possibly cannot live without a UD cloud producing machine.

:peace:

dorkus_molorkus,

darkrom

Great Scott!
15v is what I'd normally say is a dangerous amount. I'm glad you enjoy it though lol. I always thought 14 was the cutoff. I have to say here in my climate with MY UD, 14 is too much for me haha.

I guess the unique characteristics are part of the experience. :)

darkrom,
Top Bottom