• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

CurryLeafTreehugger

<snippage>

I need to find a good home for my modded Tera and with drilled out WPA. <snippage>

Sell it on here or entexchange on Reddit

Or if you can afford it, DONATE to Vitolo

Thanks! I'll go ahead and place my order today! Should I locate some beeswax or does the underbutter accomplish the same thing?
My underdog is starting to feel like it needs refreshing plus it rolled under my bed while warm and has a few crumbs stuck to the finish that id like to get off but don't want to go picking at the wood and damaging it.
My dad and grandpa are carpenters but I figured I should ask you first before letting one of them do something to it

Take a plain cloth - a terry wash cloth is fine, but something like floursack cloth as is used for making cheese (NOT SO-CALLED CHEESECLOTH) is also fine, just something plain white or undyed and more or less lint free - and just buff the body. That'll take the crumbs off. And it just generally is good for the finish. If I apply the underbutter in the morning on a warmed UD, I'll buff it in the evening. I've also taken to spending extra time rubbing it on the lower portion where the body doesn't warm to help melt it via friction. Plus its good for my hands because I am allergic to all forms of lotion - so coating my palms with beeswax is as close as I can get to moisturizing, LOL! You could also hit it with a hair dryer but I am an Unnatural Woman and do not own such a device. I also have no idea where my sole pair of shoes (for mowing the lawn) are hiding. Just so you know. Not a Natural Woman.

When I can manage it I will do as Underdog has suggested and melt one of my containers of Underbutter down and add some mineral oil. I like mineral oil as a finish for all my wooden implements, from wooden flutes to my wooden tofu press and everything in between. I soak my wooden things in the stuff, literally. But you can't soak a UD with the electrical stuff in it.
That batch of underbutter is a bit heavy on the beeswax so it's on the firm side but you can warm it up for a minute with a hairdryer or something similar if needed to soften it if needed. I like to apply it with the vape on so the wood is warm but it doesn't really matter. :cheers:

AHA! I THOUGHT the last batch had been different! LOL! I'll warm it and cut it with some mineral oil when I can get to it.

Thanks both of you, I was just going to come here to ask something about that because I tried lowering it by only .1-2v and managed to get the cooler vapor I wanted for the ss direct draw stem but the rotary knob on mine likes to jump around quite a bit so it took some fiddling.

I'll go ahead and grab one, any particular brands stand out? Any variable wattage supplies or vv/vws i could use for even more precise control?

I have the Tekpower, which is the one they used to recommend on here. I've had it for 6 years and it has been rock solid and reliable. The banana clips that came with the cord for it kept coming out of the posts so I ended up stripping the red end off and wiring it in under the nut, that secured it sufficiently that the black end stayed put thereafter or I'd have stripped that one down too. You will need an adapter cord for that, or you did when I bought mine.

ScrivGnar

I got it early!! I’m so happy :D:D It’s everything I ever dreamed, the SC3+ is the perfect core for me. I’m so :science: and it hasn’t even been here an hour, plus I haven’t used nearly anything compared to combusting.

(mousepad is to insulate the bottom from just glass but I don’t know if I really need to) (also waiting on a better bubbler from China but we know how that is)

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
I got it early!! I’m so happy :D:D It’s everything I ever dreamed, the SC3+ is the perfect core for me. I’m so :science: and it hasn’t even been here an hour, plus I haven’t used nearly anything compared to combusting.

(mousepad is to insulate the bottom from just glass but I don’t know if I really need to) (also waiting on a better bubbler from China but we know how that is)

That is a beauty for sure!

strech

I like that little bubbler.

CurryLeafTreehugger

You don't need to as in to insulate or anything, but it will make it way less likely to slide across the glass should the cord get caught or something. Sometimes my Tiger Vaple would get pulled off the coffee table just from the weight of the cord hanging awkwardly. And they have leather bottoms so it won't scratch your glass either.

I asked for my new dogs to be weighted, and that has helped a lot with the "Twig-size" body style of my SC3+. My Alpha, a solid block of maple burl with some nice heft even if it hadn't also been weighted, sits rock solid. But every standard unweighted regular dog I've had had a tendency to get pulled off the table, which I solved by getting a Dog Pen, LOL! I got a couple different versions of coaster holders that have worked well to corral my dogs and keep them off the floor or out of my yarn basket, LOL! I've been using a trackball for over 10 years now, I just never thought of a mousepad to keep them from sliding.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
View attachment 6868The pics are getting better @underdog these saved me at least half a cheek.
😂
Excited to see these pups coming to our kennel.
That Madrone seems like I am gonna love it longtime........🍔🍟🍻

Hahaha well damn dude if I'd known you were gonna post that pick I'd have taken a glamour shot not one of them so lathered up in Underbutter for shipping. :lol:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Heya Dogs we're working on getting site refreshed and drop some new pieces here this evening.

Not as big a refresh as we wanted but I'm once again waiting on a late power supply shipment.

Anyways they should be up in an hour or two and there should be 5-6 Alphas, a single SC3+, a handful of unique SC3s and a few Vape Specials.

:cheers:

Ripstar

Heya Dogs we're working on getting site refreshed and drop some new pieces here this evening.

Not as big a refresh as we wanted but I'm once again waiting on a late power supply shipment.

Anyways they should be up in an hour or two and there should be 5-6 Alphas, a single SC3+, a handful of unique SC3s and a few Vape Specials.

:cheers:
god damnit. I mean, hell yes! 😂 I am throwing my credit card in the backyard for the next couple of hours.

CurryLeafTreehugger

As usual, some beautiful pieces. My favorite of this drop (again, no worries, I am replete with Underdogs):

28589-700x700.jpg

Briar Live Edge SC3+

Underdog has of late displayed a pronounced propensity for finding the spirit of fire in the wood ... and bringing it to life as a vape. (I wax hyperbolic, but only a bit)

That is a Volcano Goddess if I ever did see one, LOL!

CurryLeafTreehugger

FRANKENSTEMMING!!!

Or, Adventures in Totally Uncalled for Stem Modding

So the one thing I've never been able to manage with my Underdogs is a glass one-hitter.

Until now.

SAY HALLO TO MY LITTLE FREN!

20210403_044704 small.jpg

So I took bits and pieces from my many new stems, some from Underdog and some from HI. The glass one-hitter is a 4" HI stem coupled with a piece of 3/8" silicon tubing to a 3/8" (I think) glass stem (3" long) that was from a HI U-stem (also used for Alan's HI wooden stems for the mouthpiece).

This is slightly larger (ID) than Underdog's stainless steel stem, which I can't use because I can't see to handle its teensy screens. Sadly it is just enough larger in ID that the teensy screens that came with the stainless stem are too small for it, so I took one of the fine mesh 1/2" flat screens I got from Alan at HI and formed a basket screen for it. And trust me. This is not something you want to do on a regular basis. It's a pain, I totally ruined the first attempt and the second was much better, at only 50% boggled up, LOL! But I managed it and it fits well enough. I'm going to try some 5/8" screens when I can get hold of some and see if that makes a better basket screen, but probably I just need a form to make it easier to make custom screens.

In addition, I've made a "core gasket" that helps to seal the airway around the core. I put a small piece of 3/8" silicon tubing at the end of the stem, then I fit a piece of 1/2" silicon tubing on top of that, which permits a pretty good seal around the core and greatly improves the efficiency of the draw.

20210403_041511 small.jpg 20210403_041559 small.jpg 20210403_042542 small.jpg

Obviously you need to hold the dog horizonally when doing this, if you set it straight up and down in use like that all the herb would fall into the core. Also I don't leave it sitting on the core any longer than it takes to do the draw, so you don't risk any kind of weird outgassing or anything. Using Silicon tubing intended for brewing (heat tolerant, food safe).

I've seen this (silicone tips on a stem) discussed before and I'm pretty sure has specifically been suggested to me, but until Alan at HI sent me a load of stems (including one of his wooden stems, which is sort of what led to the all glass one-hitter) and spare tubing bits, I didn't have anything to work with. He sent me a HI stem with a flat screen fitted with the help of a piece of silicon tubing on the end and the next thing I know I'm pulling things apart and recombining them in unholy amalgamations of silicon, glass and steel BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I thought I was microdosing before. I was futzing around trying to remember which is smaller, pico or nano (am I pico dosing now? Or nano-dosing?) and heck with it, I've gone all the way to FEMTO-dosing at this point. I mean crumbs. I'm using the marijuana-flour I got instead of the shake I thought I was buying and it doesn't come through the fine screens at all, and I use tiny tiny crumbs of it to very large effect.

And I can SEE what is happening inside the stem. Admittedly my hand-made one-off screen is no great shakes but once I get it in there I don't have to mess with it much any more. I can use the two-piece core gasket to adjust how close the herb is to the heater rather than pushing the screen around - just shorten the amount it overhangs the end of the stem to bring it closer to the heat, pull the tubing out longer for more space.

I mean this is totally unnecessary if you have and can use the stainless steel stem, but those steel stems have always been problematic for me because I can't see what's happening inside the stem, not just when placing the screen but also in use. I just like my glass.

And any glass small enough to fit INSIDE the alpha stem is going to be thin and consequently fragile - so a one-piece glass one-hitter that's also long enough to cool the vapor is likely to be impractically fragile. But by using the tubing to couple the 2 different size stems together I get something I can handle - I've already dropped this a couple of times and all that happens is it flexes at the joint and nothing breaks. Of course it CAN be broken, but not as easily as if I were trying to use one great big long skinny straw, that's for sure.

I'm also using the silicon tubing as a "core seal" on the ends of a full-size glass Alpha stem and on a regular size glass stem and in both cases I get even better draw than without it. It also allows me to use a flat screen atop the rim of the glass stems so I can get a fine screen on there and use my marijuana-flour. The regular stem will take a 1/2" screen, and I have those in extra fine, but the larger alpha stem needs a 3/4" flat screen and while I have some of those in a finer than usual mesh, it is not quite fine enough for the marijuana flour they sold me last time I bought something labelled "shake". But I can now vape that so-called "shake" through fine screens on a regular stem or through my new glass one hitter with the help of my Alpha. I'm not sure I actually NEED to fill up an alpha stem with marijuana-flour, so the lack of a 3/4" super fine mesh screen is probably not all that much of a loss. Not sure I'd want to know the odds of my survival if I did try it.

Frankly I'm getting so much out of the glass one-hitter I'm not sure I'm ever going to use another stem again LOL!

But seriously, it doesn't work as well with regular bud as it does with the marijuana flour. How much of that is due to my (lack of) technique, I can't say, but it sure is efficient with very finely ground bud.

The one thing about silicon tubing is that its sticky and it attracts dust, whether ABV dust or general house dust. So I wipe it off a couple times a day just for appearance sake. Over time I expect it will degrade and need to be replaced, but the stuff's a couple bucks a foot from any local brew supply shop. Not going to break the bank any time soon.

arb

Semi shaved ape
FRANKENSTEMMING!!!

Or, Adventures in Totally Uncalled for Stem Modding

So the one thing I've never been able to manage with my Underdogs is a glass one-hitter.

Until now.

SAY HALLO TO MY LITTLE FREN!

View attachment 6894

So I took bits and pieces from my many new stems, some from Underdog and some from HI. The glass one-hitter is a 4" HI stem coupled with a piece of 3/8" silicon tubing to a 3/8" (I think) glass stem (3" long) that was from a HI U-stem (also used for Alan's HI wooden stems for the mouthpiece).

This is slightly larger (ID) than Underdog's stainless steel stem, which I can't use because I can't see to handle its teensy screens. Sadly it is just enough larger in ID that the teensy screens that came with the stainless stem are too small for it, so I took one of the fine mesh 1/2" flat screens I got from Alan at HI and formed a basket screen for it. And trust me. This is not something you want to do on a regular basis. It's a pain, I totally ruined the first attempt and the second was much better, at only 50% boggled up, LOL! But I managed it and it fits well enough. I'm going to try some 5/8" screens when I can get hold of some and see if that makes a better basket screen, but probably I just need a form to make it easier to make custom screens.

In addition, I've made a "core gasket" that helps to seal the airway around the core. I put a small piece of 3/8" silicon tubing at the end of the stem, then I fit a piece of 1/2" silicon tubing on top of that, which permits a pretty good seal around the core and greatly improves the efficiency of the draw.

View attachment 6895 View attachment 6896 View attachment 6897

Obviously you need to hold the dog horizonally when doing this, if you set it straight up and down in use like that all the herb would fall into the core. Also I don't leave it sitting on the core any longer than it takes to do the draw, so you don't risk any kind of weird outgassing or anything. Using Silicon tubing intended for brewing (heat tolerant, food safe).

I've seen this (silicone tips on a stem) discussed before and I'm pretty sure has specifically been suggested to me, but until Alan at HI sent me a load of stems (including one of his wooden stems, which is sort of what led to the all glass one-hitter) and spare tubing bits, I didn't have anything to work with. He sent me a HI stem with a flat screen fitted with the help of a piece of silicon tubing on the end and the next thing I know I'm pulling things apart and recombining them in unholy amalgamations of silicon, glass and steel BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!

I thought I was microdosing before. I was futzing around trying to remember which is smaller, pico or nano (am I pico dosing now? Or nano-dosing?) and heck with it, I've gone all the way to FEMTO-dosing at this point. I mean crumbs. I'm using the marijuana-flour I got instead of the shake I thought I was buying and it doesn't come through the fine screens at all, and I use tiny tiny crumbs of it to very large effect.

And I can SEE what is happening inside the stem. Admittedly my hand-made one-off screen is no great shakes but once I get it in there I don't have to mess with it much any more. I can use the two-piece core gasket to adjust how close the herb is to the heater rather than pushing the screen around - just shorten the amount it overhangs the end of the stem to bring it closer to the heat, pull the tubing out longer for more space.

I mean this is totally unnecessary if you have and can use the stainless steel stem, but those steel stems have always been problematic for me because I can't see what's happening inside the stem, not just when placing the screen but also in use. I just like my glass.

And any glass small enough to fit INSIDE the alpha stem is going to be thin and consequently fragile - so a one-piece glass one-hitter that's also long enough to cool the vapor is likely to be impractically fragile. But by using the tubing to couple the 2 different size stems together I get something I can handle - I've already dropped this a couple of times and all that happens is it flexes at the joint and nothing breaks. Of course it CAN be broken, but not as easily as if I were trying to use one great big long skinny straw, that's for sure.

I'm also using the silicon tubing as a "core seal" on the ends of a full-size glass Alpha stem and on a regular size glass stem and in both cases I get even better draw than without it. It also allows me to use a flat screen atop the rim of the glass stems so I can get a fine screen on there and use my marijuana-flour. The regular stem will take a 1/2" screen, and I have those in extra fine, but the larger alpha stem needs a 3/4" flat screen and while I have some of those in a finer than usual mesh, it is not quite fine enough for the marijuana flour they sold me last time I bought something labelled "shake". But I can now vape that so-called "shake" through fine screens on a regular stem or through my new glass one hitter with the help of my Alpha. I'm not sure I actually NEED to fill up an alpha stem with marijuana-flour, so the lack of a 3/4" super fine mesh screen is probably not all that much of a loss. Not sure I'd want to know the odds of my survival if I did try it.

Frankly I'm getting so much out of the glass one-hitter I'm not sure I'm ever going to use another stem again LOL!

But seriously, it doesn't work as well with regular bud as it does with the marijuana flour. How much of that is due to my (lack of) technique, I can't say, but it sure is efficient with very finely ground bud.

The one thing about silicon tubing is that its sticky and it attracts dust, whether ABV dust or general house dust. So I wipe it off a couple times a day just for appearance sake. Over time I expect it will degrade and need to be replaced, but the stuff's a couple bucks a foot from any local brew supply shop. Not going to break the bank any time soon.
First........nice post!
I use a coffee\spice mill for a grinder.
Four pulses and it produces a very consistent and finely ground product.
A light sprinkle produces ridiculous amounts of vapor compared to the same amount coursly ground.
Too much clogs so beware.
🙃

simulacrum

Is there a noticeable functional difference between the thinner/thicker looking Alphas? Looks like the two "thin" ones are already gone so I can't post a screenshot, but the wood looked notably thinner on them than the above-pictured Caribbean Rosewood. Also, are the ridges on this one just for a better grip? Or do they have an effect on heat retention, vapor production, etc?

Think I'm going to get one instead of a Flowerpot but it looks like I'll have to wait for the next drop due to my own indecisiveness. Wishing I pulled the trigger on the Pyinma Burl last night.

CurryLeafTreehugger

Is there a noticeable functional difference between the thinner/thicker looking Alphas? Looks like the two "thin" ones are already gone so I can't post a screenshot, but the wood looked notably thinner on them than the above-pictured Caribbean Rosewood. Also, are the ridges on this one just for a better grip? Or do they have an effect on heat retention, vapor production, etc?

Think I'm going to get one instead of a Flowerpot but it looks like I'll have to wait for the next drop due to my own indecisiveness. Wishing I pulled the trigger on the Pyinma Burl last night.

That was a nice one. But there were a LOT of nice ones, in this batch and in every batch. It's my understanding that Underdog HAS more vape bodies ready to go, but he's waiting for a shipment of power supplies to arrive before he can offer them up. So I don't think a whole lot of patience is required.

The only functional difference I've ever seen due to the vape bodies has to do with heat retention. Chunkier holds heat better, more evenly. I'm not sure that's a huge difference in the functioning of the vape in use with the newest heater cores, I don't think it makes any difference at all anymore - given that you wait until the body is heat-soaked (stabilized) before you start using it.

Personally I prefer chunky bodies to thin bodies, just because that is the feel I like in my hands. YMMV.

The ridging is just for looks. It won't change anything significant about the function of the vape. It all depends on whether you like that look, and how you think it will feel in your hand. My SC3+ is about 1.75" in diameter, my Alpha, about 2.5". That is quite a large difference. My Tiger Vaple is the thinnest at 1.5" diameter. I don't imagine they come much thinner than that.

It's just what you like best when you are actually using it, primarily, and then whatever you think looks good to you.

You can look at the archives on the UD site to see recent offerings. That link should automatically sort by model # in descending order - that would show you the newest models that have already been sold. So you can get a good idea of typical patterns and woods.

CurryLeafTreehugger

That glass one-hitter has become the only stem I even think of any more. I originally wanted the Alpha to get the larger bowl in the glass Alpha stems, but it turns out my best bet is the teensy tiny femto-doses I'm loading in to Frank, my glass one-hitter.

You know. Frank. Frankenstem. Because I find that punny. I'm awful that way.

Thanks to Alan, I CAN use 1/2" flat screens on the regular size glass Underdog stems. It helps to use a button or something to stabilize the screen while you pull the sleeve down over it. Turns out a spent button battery (CR 2032) out of my old PC worked great for the 3/4" screen on the Alpha glass direct draw stem (nicely rounded edges that don't crease the screen when you pull it out) but you need something about 1/2" for the regular stems to keep the flat screen on there while you fit the silicone tubing.

Using the silicone tubing as demonstrated by Alan (and the button screen-stabilizing thingy) I can use flat screens in all but the largest Alpha size glass stems, because I can't currently find any 3/4" uber fine screens (and haven't seen them for a couple of years). HOWEVER, I can drop a 1/2" fine screen on top of the Alpha basket screens because UD and UDette make those dead flat and I put them in upside down (flat side up).

However that also requires the fine screen you drop on there to ALSO be dead flat and mine aren't, they're just slightly warped from when they were cut. So I have some of them in a "press" to flatten them out more.

Which brings me around to the issue of fines. My whole purpose in finding a newer grinder was to get a more even, COARSER grind so stuff would stop coming through my screens. And with the SC2, I had additional issues with clogging and reduced airflow that made trying to vape finely ground material, even with a finer screen, not really very easy. So I wasn't really considering trying to vape fine stuff (and didn't see how that could possibly be working for the rest of y'all, though clearly it did), but rather how to keep the finer stuff out of my airway.

Then I got my Alpha and the SC3+ and discovered both had greatly improved air flow on the draw. By a LOT. I never thought my SC2 had a "restricted" airway until I actually used the newer cores. So it turns out packing is not the issue with these new cores that it was in the past, which makes use of very finely ground weed not only possible, but preferable. I mean I put a few crumbs in that glass one-hitter and WHAM, near full extraction. If I had anything approaching "technique", I'm sure it would be fully full. I poke the edges with my nutpick, draw again and get a little more vape about 3/4 of the time. That's with the one-hitter and the core gasket in place.

So looks like I don't need a new grinder so much, as long as I can manage to make the bowl screens for the glass one-hitter. Fine screens + improved air flow + glass one-hitter + core gaskets = great vaping success for ME!

So now I'm wondering if any of the problems in a drop not too far into the past, might have been "solved" had the users been using some version of the "core gasket" (basically a short piece of silicone tubing that gives you a sort of a "lock" on drawing air THROUGH the core and not around it)?

I mean I've got no technique to speak of and its working GREAT for me ... might it have been helpful to newer users as well?

Last edited:
Top Bottom