Underdog Log Vapes

arb

Semi shaved ape
I hit all mine hard but that's through water which slows things down by its nature.
I find the variation in usage styles very interesting and something I had not realized there was such a large degree of.
Wang definitely stands up to back to back hits so that seems the next logical step regards cores...... then I would still only have one production core.
😆

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Too late (or early haha) to edit my last post so ya get a double.

I again can't stress enough how important it is for new users to slow their draw if they're having issues. The AVB pic I posted was after 4 draws and I tried to get another after but just came away with a wispy, nasty hit so it was definitely extracted thoroughly.

With my voltage probably a little on the high side right now I may have to adjust when I pull out the nong, nylon direct draw or stainless steel piece (thanks again @underdog :love:). It works so well right now, with the ability to toast a load quickly or keep the stem back a little bit to get really tasty bowls.

The ritual of a session with the new pup is fantastic. I haven't tamped my loads at all so with the glass direct draw I invert the stem so no goodies fall out. Holding that warm, sexy ass block of wood feels good. I figured it would stay more stationary, which I'm sure it would if I tamped at all but I much prefer getting to touch the surface of the wood every time I want a hit.
Haha nice! Glad to see you got things running smoothly already.. :cheers:

I was hoping the carnuba wax base I used on that one that's all gunked in the voids would melt/dissolve in with the first full time session but doesn't look like it did.. that was my hope anyways when I put that stuff on after our burn-in testing. Hit it with a hair dryer?

I hit all mine hard but that's through water which slows things down by its nature.
I find the variation in usage styles very interesting and something I had not realized there was such a large degree of.
Wang definitely stands up to back to back hits so that seems the next logical step regards cores...... then I would still only have one production core.
😆
I don't intend on making them available as stock items but I'll keep a few on hand for the occasional criminally insane vaporists and the like. Not everyone needs a lambo despite what they think up until they hit that first s-curve. :rockon:

arb

Semi shaved ape

I was hoping the carnuba wax base I used on that one that's all gunked in the voids would melt/dissolve in with the first full time session but doesn't look like it did.. that was my hope anyways when I put that stuff on after our burn-in testing. Hit it with a hair dryer?

I don't intend on making them available as stock items but I'll keep a few on hand for the occasional criminally insane vaporists and the like. Not everyone needs a lambo despite what they think up until they hit that first s-curve. :rockon:
I see........psyched about some new pups no matter which core they have.
I got a special place all picked out.......in my heart.
🐕

underdog

Manufacturer
I see........psyched about some new pups no matter which core they have.
I got a special place all picked out.......in my heart.
🐕

A new user sent me a message after getting their Alpha dialed in and said 'holy shit this thing hits like $10 of quarters in a tube sock!' and it got me to thinking.. how many people really need hit with $20?

Also made me think I should probably choose this person for my dodge ball team at first opportunity. :rofl:

AWistfulNihilist

This analogy only makes sense for cars because of the danger of losing control on the curve.

This doesn't make sense for herb ovens, as an enthusiasts/power user of every type of oven.

Power and response to draw is the gold standard for a reason. If an oven can't keep up with the demand of the user, that's going to be a bad experience for a user who's expecting a oven to keep up with demand.

If you can create a core that responds better to draw, meaning if you can solve the issue of a user being able to rob all the heat from the oven by pulling "too hard" , or the oven being unable to respond without a wild swing, or requiring a long refractory period, many users are going to have an objectively better experience, because it will match the performance of other modern ovens they use.

Many modern herb ovens have a boost, fine temp control. Most other logs have the thermal mass to keep up with draw (WS and enano).

I'm really struggling to figure out what you and your power users are saying here? I guess I should spend the money to find out, but so far the feedback I'm seeing about use of the device seems strange.

And then again, when people say that it doesn't perform, except in this incredibly specific, not flexible way, you guys talk about usage.

Again, I appreciate you thoughts, and these posts, but I'm not sure you, and some of the others intuitions are matching here, and it didn't look like anyone is going out of there way to figure it out.

GraniteState420

This analogy only makes sense for cars because of the danger of losing control on the curve.

This doesn't make sense for herb ovens, as an enthusiasts/power user of every type of oven.

Power and response to draw is the gold standard for a reason. If an oven can't keep up with the demand of the user, that's going to be a bad experience for a user who's expecting a oven to keep up with demand.

If you can create a core that responds better to draw, meaning if you can solve the issue of a user being able to rob all the heat from the oven by pulling "too hard" , or the oven being unable to respond without a wild swing, or requiring a long refractory period, many users are going to have an objectively better experience, because it will match the performance of other modern ovens they use.

Many modern herb ovens have a boost, fine temp control. Most other logs have the thermal mass to keep up with draw (WS and enano).

I'm really struggling to figure out what you and your power users are saying here? I guess I should spend the money to find out, but so far the feedback I'm seeing about use of the device seems strange.

And then again, when people say that it doesn't perform, except in this incredibly specific, not flexible way, you guys talk about usage.

Again, I appreciate you thoughts, and these posts, but I'm not sure you, and some of the others intuitions are matching here, and it didn't look like anyone is going out of there way to figure it out.
Curious....what are your top 3 favorite vapes you currently own?
.....mine would be my UD Alpha, p80, and US Z....

arb

Semi shaved ape

If you cannot overwhelm a nano or woodscents you will not have any issue.
I quit using those a while ago and went to the lsv because of weak heaters and small bowls.
Alpha got me off the lsv.

AWistfulNihilist

Curious....what are your top 3 favorite vapes you currently own?
.....mine would be my UD Alpha, p80, and US Z....
Plugin: DCE (refractory period exists here), dyna (with IH, I know this is a weird spot but it defies labels)

Battery: Tetrax, Dotleaf

Butane: jet dryv, noisy cricket

Ovens I own: DCE, tetrax, Dotleaf, g43, cap pro, fury edge, divine tribe DC herb, venus apollo, home made InductionVap (aka The I.V.), DTv4, terp pen

Other Ovens I've owned or tried: enano, WS, all S&B including plug in and battery (only liked the cano hybrid), all RBT ovens, almost all SB ovens, Piro, P80

They're are likely more I'm not remembering.

@arb

I was never able to overwhelm the nano oven after a few hours of heat soak, WS yes but the refractory is small, it's usuable w/in 5-15m of turn on, very little heat soak required on the new oven. I do want to try an LSV, I have a friend who has like 9 of them, I'm going to probably but one of his.

underdog

Manufacturer

I'm not sure if you're being condescending so I'll just assume you're not and will try to respond accordingly.

Pretty much every supposition you made in your comments are wrong.

The users who have had difficulties with an Alpha have had them because they haven't been able to control it properly. I think my analogy is apt as the point is all the power in the world won't keep you out of the ditch if you don't drive a given vehicle the way its design requires.

Power and response are just different words describing the above and again neither will keep you out of the ditch if you don't know what you're doing. The Alpha has both in spades but that doesn't negate the need for compliance with the laws of physics and the necessity of using proper technique.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to your thoughts that the Alpha be redesigned to match the performance of a different vape so users have a better experience without having to learn any new skills or techniques.

It's very unlikely that the average user will be able to rob all the heat from the Alpha core and if they do (as some have recently) it's because they aren't using it right.

As far as I can tell the Alpha has boost and a fine temp control, certainly not any different than most other Log Vapes out there.. unless you consider turning a knob until a display hits a certain number too difficult for users to manage?

In regards to mass... we make models with lower mass than other Logs and we make the Alpha which is significantly higher mass than the others you mentioned so it seems like we have the bases covered there. You specifically mention the WS and Nano and those are both much lower in mass than the Alpha, let alone the Alpha+ and are instead quite closely matched to our SC2/SC3/SC3+ vapes. The Alpha was designed specifically to address the limitations a low mass design suffers from in specific response to users requesting just such a design.

The Alpha is a high mass, high efficiency vape that can deliver great vapor when driven by a skilled user. It is quite intolerant of poor technique like almost everything high performance is.

The other vapes you mention are great and I own them as well. They are low mass, high power vapes that use those characteristics to compensate for poor technique with brute force. The UD SC2/SC3/SC3+ cores work in the same fashion.

A user needs to buy the right tool for the job and know how to use said tool. :science:

Last edited by a moderator:

AWistfulNihilist

I'm not sure if you're being condescending so I'll just assume you're not and will try to respond accordingly.

Pretty much every supposition you made in your comments are wrong.

The users who have had difficulties with an Alpha have had them because they haven't been able to control it properly. I think my analogy is apt as the point is all the power in the world won't keep you out of the ditch if you don't drive a given vehicle the way its design requires.

Power and response are just different words describing the above and again neither will keep you out of the ditch if you don't know what you're doing. The Alpha has both in spades but that doesn't negate the need for compliance with the laws of physics and the necessity of using proper technique.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to your thoughts that the Alpha be redesigned to match the performance of a different vape so users have a better experience without having to learn any new skills or techniques.

It's very unlikely that the average user will be able to rob all the heat from the Alpha core and if they do (as some have recently) it's because they aren't using it right.

As far as I can tell the Alpha has boost and a fine temp control, certainly not any different than most other Log Vapes out there.. unless you consider turning a knob until a display hits a certain number too difficult for users to manage?

In regards to mass... we make models with lower mass than other Logs and we make the Alpha which is significantly higher mass than the others you mentioned so it seems like we have the bases covered there. You specifically mention the WS and Nano and those are both much lower in mass than the Alpha, let alone the Alpha+ and are instead quite closely matched to our SC2/SC3/SC3+ vapes. The Alpha was designed specifically to address the limitations a low mass design suffers from in specific response to users requesting just such a design.

The Alpha is a high mass, high efficiency vape that can out perform any other Log Vape on the market when driven by a skilled user. It is quite intolerant of poor technique like almost everything high performance is.

The other vapes you mention are great and I own them as well. They are low mass, high power vapes that use those characteristics to compensate for poor technique with brute force. The UD SC2/SC3/SC3+ cores work in the same fashion.

A user needs to buy the right tool for the job and know how to use said tool. :science:
I wasn't being condescending, so thank you for the benefit of the doubt!

Most other vapes don't require a lot of "skill" to use. I'm fact, the direction is towards ease of use. Maybe that's where we differ. You talk about other vapes making up for weaknesses, being difficult to use correctly feels like a weakness to me.

I get the design difference, I guess I don't expect to have to spend days learning a vape and ultimately possibly not getting it. Which is the experience I've seen multiple experienced users have.

I think I'm moving you towards this not being an amicable discussion, I can stop posting.

tom battleboar

Yo brother hmu and don't tell me it takes skill for an Firefly 2, even a Pax 3. Lol that vape cap is very good except the other costs using it. And tell me about benzene.

I just use the Underdog vaporizer because I have cervical radiculopathy this product offers me quick effective pain relief or energetic medication. Safer than caffeine or over/under the counter medications. I was tested covid-19 positive twice & second time signs and symptoms. And I thank cannabis or devil's grass for keeping me alive & well. I thank Underdog vaporizer family as well God Bless us all if you don't believe that a God exists let this universe love you indifferently.

It's a God send of an product thank you spiritual world. Helped me quit nicotine cold turkey, helps quickly & safely including effective efficient medication for my ptsd, bipolar mood swings, including depressive issues.

And I am an nurse of 11 year's this is an great safe alternative to other vaporizers including the new screen trick I learned today.

Enialis

I just wanted to leave a post here to say that my figured maple SC3+ is EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. It's been so simple and intuitive to use that I never needed to look anything up or get help in using it until later tonight when ill come back and try to find tips to get even more out of it!

Now I just wish I could use it to vape slightly bigger loads than the gong or nong can do. I'm going to order the hybrid nong today to see if that does the trick.

I really hope it does, otherwise I'm going to end up with an Alphadog and some slighted family members that think I didn't like the first dog they bought me!

Edit: @AWistfulNihilist regarding the above discussion, I'm a power user that's gone through many unsatisfactory vapes trying to find one that could give me the dab sweats off herb and ultimately landed on the cloud evo. Fast forward I wanted something for microdosing as I don't use as much as I did back then, and decided to get a log because it extracts the herb in essentially the same way that my Evo does on a smaller scale. This turned out to be true, and I erred on the side of caution and got an SC3+ because I didn't want to get am SC3 and worry about overwhelming the heater and not liking it. All turned out to be right, its a tiny cloud evo made of wood and its as efficient but with smaller loads, and I've never been able to overwhelm the heater. The 14mm gong is overstuffed is enough to get me sweating from one puff because of how efficient it is, and unlike my other vapes I only need to stir to quiet the voices in my head whispering about how there could be another hit left.

Assuming the alpha works the same as the SC3+, then its going to be a wooden cloud evo. If I were to ever have to replace my cloud evo I would get an alpha dog as they are more durable when inverted and rugged in general and have a greater variety of stems that are adjustable compared to the fixed size and position of the evo elbs and with its breakable glass core and joint that can only be used with a water pipe by default.

If I were a betting man or had the extra money I would tell you if you didn't like it and weren't able to get it working id trade you my evo or buy it off you no questions asked. Hypothetically of course.

Last edited:

underdog

Manufacturer
I wasn't being condescending, so thank you for the benefit of the doubt!

Most other vapes don't require a lot of "skill" to use. I'm fact, the direction is towards ease of use. Maybe that's where we differ. You talk about other vapes making up for weaknesses, being difficult to use correctly feels like a weakness to me.

I get the design difference, I guess I don't expect to have to spend days learning a vape and ultimately possibly not getting it. Which is the experience I've seen multiple experienced users have.

I think I'm moving you towards this not being an amicable discussion, I can stop posting.

Ok cool, I wasn't sure so thanks for clarifying.
For the record I wasn't trying to be unamicable I just get in 'engineer mode' and get very terse sometimes.

I designed the Alpha to be a specialized, high performance device that would only be suited to maybe 10% of vaporists and when
we released the first generation one 4-5 years ago they were only available to existing Underdog users so they went to well suited individuals
that we knew could put them to good use. We had zero issues because of that but we did get plenty of complaints that sales were restricted.

This time around with the updated model we opened up sales to anyone without really thinking much about it. In addition to that and same as the first time we also didn't ship with specific instructions and didn't fully appreciate the possibility that some people would struggle with them. It was pretty surprising to me that so many people did struggle.. I don't have exact numbers but I think it was something like 15-20% of new users. That's on us and we'll work up those instructions for people going forward.

We may also go back to the previous policy of limiting their sales to users whom we vet beforehand.

Underdog started out as specialty business that only did custom work and pushed boundaries with the first higher performance Logs on the market. Things have evolved since then with different products to serve different needs and some more standardized products (like our Vape Special models) but for the most part we still primarily make unique vapes that are all different from the wooden bodies to the handmade cores so each will perform slightly differently. We don't mass produce anything, we don't sell wholesale or thru resellers and at heart we're still Underdogs doing our own thing without much care about what the rest of the market is doing.

Anyways thanks for the conversation, I like talking these things thru and thinking about the market as a whole. :cheers:

tom battleboar

I just wanted to leave a post here to say that my figured maple SC3+ is EXACTLY what I wanted it to be. It's been so simple and intuitive to use that I never needed to look anything up or get help in using it until later tonight when ill come back and try to find tips to get even more out of it!

Now I just wish I could use it to vape slightly bigger loads than the gong or nong can do. I'm going to order the hybrid nong today to see if that does the trick.

I really hope it does, otherwise I'm going to end up with an Alphadog and some slighted family members that think I didn't like the first dog they bought me!
Hi brother just want to say that my sc3+ Red Heart Lost Dog. Allows me to use the Alpha nylon loading tube it's just snug but works like a charm but not how it supposed to work though.

Enialis

Hi brother just want to say that my sc3+ Red Heart Lost Dog. Allows me to use the Alpha nylon loading tube it's just snug but works like a charm but not how it supposed to work though.
As in the alpha nylon direct draw stem? Did you ever try it with the hybrid ones that are made for the SC3+ by chance? I don't think my lungs could take the vapor from a larger direct draw stem lol, I was looking at the hybrid water pipe adapter since its made for this core and I think has a similar load size.

I just can't figure out how far the heater core tube goes into it. Basically same deal as the glass gong and direct draw in terms of how the heater core kind of goes around the herb unless the screen is really far back?

underdog

Manufacturer
As in the alpha nylon direct draw stem? Did you ever try it with the hybrid ones that are made for the SC3+ by chance? I don't think my lungs could take the vapor from a larger direct draw stem lol, I was looking at the hybrid water pipe adapter since its made for this core and I think has a similar load size.

I just can't figure out how far the heater core tube goes into it. Basically same deal as the glass gong and direct draw in terms of how the heater core kind of goes around the herb unless the screen is really far back?

Are you asking how far the SC3+ core tube inserts into the Hybrid Stem(s) tip?

If so it goes in until the tip of the stem comes to rest on the top plate of the core just like the Glass Direct Draw Stems and GonGs do. So yeah the bowl size is functionally the same as the glass stems.

If I misunderstood the question let me know and I'll take another whack at it. :cheers:

tom battleboar

Yes I used a nylon direct draw tube on the sc3+ heater core. Well at first it wasn't fitting until I found an nylon direct draw tube that fits around the heater core then. I kinda of umm 😐 sanded the heater core with p400 & p320. But honestly it works like a charm no issues. But might offend @underdog for this illegal hook up.

underdog

Manufacturer
when we getting some more sc3+ or alpha burl dogs big dog @underdog
I'm hoping for Friday.. we'll see how it goes in the shop though.. I'll give you peeps an update during the week.

Yes I used a nylon direct draw tube on the sc3+ heater core. Well at first it wasn't fitting until I found an nylon direct draw tube that fits around the heater core then. I kinda of umm 😐 sanded the heater core with p400 & p320. But honestly it works like a charm no issues. But might offend @underdog for this illegal hook up.
Haha no worries dude it's yours you can do whatever you want and it sounds like a nice mod that worked out just how you wanted. :science:

Enialis

Are you asking how far the SC3+ core tube inserts into the Hybrid Stem(s) tip?

If so it goes in until the tip of the stem comes to rest on the top plate of the core just like the Glass Direct Draw Stems and GonGs do. So yeah the bowl size is functionally the same as the glass stems.

If I misunderstood the question let me know and I'll take another whack at it. :cheers:
No you understood it and answered it buy maybe you can clarify, are you saying it goes around the core and the core goes in about as far as with glass stems? The way you have it worded makes it seem like the hybrids have a tip that goes into the core? Specifically on an SC3+ if I haven't said that. I see in the picture now that there does seem to be a tip at the end of the metal part, is the very tip where its smaller meant to go in the alpha dog only?

Going to wind up grabbing one tomorrow morning in case you ship Saturdays. Am I correct in thinking that the hybrid is going to somehow stop me from buying an alpha dog lol? If the the load size is basically the same as the gong will it extract a load faster kind of like the regular nong so I can extract a load fully in 1 or 2 hits with minimal stirring or is it more just an indestructible alternative to the gong, rather than a slightly harder hitting stem?

Edit: My God i baby my dog to much to dare doing anything like nodding it. I'm still trying to get some specs of floor crumbs off it from it rolling under my bed while it was still warm.

any tips on that front? I have underbutter and my dad knows carpentry if it needs something special to clean it. He was very impressed with your lathe work and wood selection when I showed it to him and told him it was a small wooden evo in terms of functionality. He was rather impressed with everything being a woodworker himself and normally he isn't interested in talking about my medical gear unless its going to save him money. So he's pretty happy so far lol.

I need to find a good home for my modded Tera and with drilled out WPA. I know it's a portable but pound for pound dollar for dollar I wish I'd have just bought this when my cloud broke instead of letting myself get talked into Tera at the dispensary while I was panicking still and wanted it quickly. The underdog plus on my UPS battery lasted all day, if I can find a smaller one like for camping then this will only be slightly bigger than carrying around a Tera in my bag and have the benefit of actually working and lasting for a whole day away from home im thinking.

Last edited:

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
I need to find a good home for my modded Tera and with drilled out WPA. I know it's a portable but pound for pound dollar for dollar I wish I'd have just bought this when my cloud broke instead of letting myself get talked into Tera at the dispensary while I was panicking still and wanted it quickly. The underdog plus on my UPS battery lasted all day, if I can find a smaller one like for camping then this will only be slightly bigger than carrying around a Tera in my bag and have the benefit of actually working and lasting for a whole day away from home im thinking.
Sell it on here or entexchange on Reddit

Sour Dream,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape

No you understood it and answered it buy maybe you can clarify, are you saying it goes around the core and the core goes in about as far as with glass stems? The way you have it worded makes it seem like the hybrids have a tip that goes into the core? Specifically on an SC3+ if I haven't said that. I see in the picture now that there does seem to be a tip at the end of the metal part, is the very tip where its smaller meant to go in the alpha dog only?

Going to wind up grabbing one tomorrow morning in case you ship Saturdays. Am I correct in thinking that the hybrid is going to somehow stop me from buying an alpha dog lol? If the the load size is basically the same as the gong will it extract a load faster kind of like the regular nong so I can extract a load fully in 1 or 2 hits with minimal stirring or is it more just an indestructible alternative to the gong, rather than a slightly harder hitting stem?

Edit: My God i baby my dog to much to dare doing anything like nodding it. I'm still trying to get some specs of floor crumbs off it from it rolling under my bed while it was still warm.

any tips on that front? I have underbutter and my dad knows carpentry if it needs something special to clean it. He was very impressed with your lathe work and wood selection when I showed it to him and told him it was a small wooden evo in terms of functionality. He was rather impressed with everything being a woodworker himself and normally he isn't interested in talking about my medical gear unless its going to save him money. So he's pretty happy so far lol.

I think the hybrid being referred to is the one that goes inside the alpha core but outside the SC3?

arb,

SquirrelMaster

I didn't even notice the wax to be honest, I was so impressed that it came to me so well conditioned. I've never had a wood vape that I didn't feel like I should butter up upon arrival until this one. Thanks for the hair dryer tip!

I'm an overkill kind of guy so an Alpha+ would be a win in my book. Do you still require the same minimum sized block like the Alpha or do you need to go bigger?

Also, I have a confession. I never read the instructions :ninja:. I hit the ground running, had an ok first attempt and was able to fix it a day later on the hunch I was doing something wrong. Easy peasy imo for anyone concerned.

I had a bunch of bowls over the course of yesterday evening and each was perfect. Harder hitting, terpene chasing, I play with the stem to get the results I want. People need to have realistic expectations about a log if the last 2 days have taught me anything. These are leave on all day, beautiful vapes that can have a learning curve but are incredibly rewarding to use and deliver massive hits. I'm still testing but this was an incredible addition to my line-up.

Top Bottom