Underdog Log Vapes

CurryLeafTreehugger

I'm not entirely sure I understand what your getting at, are you talking about sandwhiching the herb between two screens kind of like how some vapes like the cloud evo use an actual basket with a lid for a screen? We're those your pictures?

I don't really comprehend the rest of what you were suggesting unless that wasn't directed at me. Do I need to go back and read your frankenstem posts to get up to speed?

I'm mostly wanting a course grind because I thought the ud worked better that way and I have to buy shake a lot to save money. I'm not trying to use a fine grind on purpose for this vape which is why I was looking for solutions to avoid fine grinds for this vape.

So remember this whole thing with the screens and stems was predicated by the fact that the UD standard screens - which are NOT particularly coarse, mind, just normalish - were totally unusable with the "shake" I can get here because they started grinding it to the consistency of flour. Stuff came right through and I was actually inhaling it before I realized why I wasn't getting any effect. Pretty sure flour size bits of weed in my lungs didn't do anything helpful. Also the SC2 I had at the time couldn't handle a fine screen with fine weed in it, it would pack and clog the screen. The newest dogs, and especially the Alphas, have much freer airways. Later I realized that crumbs from whole bud I had ground for vaping in my Golden Gate grinder (once I discovered the shake I had been using for 4 years was now unusable I had to go to whole bud) were ALSO coming through the regular screens.

So - fine screens clogged with the SC2, crumbs coming through the screen - I thought I needed a coarser grinder. Prior to this the "shake" had not been ground, it was just mostly small bits that were perfect for vaping with the occasional microbud.

I'm not sandwiching herb between screens, I'm just finding ways to be able to use flat screens with my stems. One way is to balance it on the lip of a glass stem, held in place with a piece of silicone tubing, and the other way is to drop it into the stem on top of a UD supplied basket screen (flat side up). I haven't been able to find fine screens in larger than 1/2" size for a couple of years now, and you need 3/4" screens for basket screens for the regular size stems and 1" screens (unless you are UD/UDette) for the Alpha glass stem. Those were the only size stems I had before I Frankenstemmed the glass one-hitter.

It was my experience, once I found ways to use fine screens that worked for me which the new dogs allow because of the better airway - that I am good with the fine grind as long as I can use a fine screen, but only with the most recent dogs. I'm packing it light as in not packing at all and just putting small amounts in the stem, whichever stem I am using, at a time.

I actually get a bigger immediate effect from the femto-doses in my glass one-hitter with the fine screen and finely ground herb than from either of the larger glass stems with more "regular" (ground from whole bud in my grinder) material in them.

For me - and your mileage may vary - this works fine. If you want to pack huge loads of finely ground stuff, probably will clog, even in the new dogs. I THOUGHT I needed a coarser grinder - until I found ways to use finer screens with my stems. Now I'm good.

Actually I should try that and report back.

Plus I can get a spice grinder for like $15 or $20. I can grind my herb to flour too, LOL! As opposed to over $100 for that Brilliant Cut Grinder. I've actually got a spare spice grinder somewhere I think - not counting the two I actually use for cooking LOL!

But if you're into big loads, you may still want a coarse grinder. I believe arb said that in his experience, large loads of fine grind will still pack and clog the screens with the new dogs.

Last edited:
CurryLeafTreehugger,
  • Love
Reactions: arb

Enialis

So remember this whole thing with the screens and stems was predicated by the fact that the UD standard screens - which are NOT particularly coarse, mind, just normalish - were totally unusable with the "shake" I can get here because they started grinding it to the consistency of flour. Stuff came right through and I was actually inhaling it before I realized why I wasn't getting any effect. Pretty sure flour size bits of weed in my lungs didn't do anything helpful. Also the SC2 I had at the time couldn't handle a fine screen with fine weed in it, it would pack and clog the screen. The newest dogs, and especially the Alphas, have much freer airways. Later I realized that crumbs from whole bud I had ground for vaping in my Golden Gate grinder (once I discovered the shake I had been using for 4 years was now unusable I had to go to whole bud) were ALSO coming through the regular screens.

So - fine screens clogged with the SC2, crumbs coming through the screen - I thought I needed a coarser grinder. Prior to this the "shake" had not been ground, it was just mostly small bits that were perfect for vaping with the occasional microbud.

I'm not sandwiching herb between screens, I'm just finding ways to be able to use flat screens with my stems. One way is to balance it on the lip of a glass stem, held in place with a piece of silicone tubing, and the other way is to drop it into the stem on top of a UD supplied basket screen (flat side up). I haven't been able to find fine screens in larger than 1/2" size for a couple of years now, and you need 3/4" screens for basket screens for the regular size stems and 1" screens (unless you are UD/UDette) for the Alpha glass stem. Those were the only size stems I had before I Frankenstemmed the glass one-hitter.

It was my experience, once I found ways to use fine screens that worked for me which the new dogs allow because of the better airway - that I am good with the fine grind as long as I can use a fine screen, but only with the most recent dogs. I'm packing it light as in not packing at all and just putting small amounts in the stem, whichever stem I am using, at a time.

I actually get a bigger immediate effect from the femto-doses in my glass one-hitter with the fine screen and finely ground herb than from either of the larger glass stems with more "regular" (ground from whole bud in my grinder) material in them.

For me - and your mileage may vary - this works fine. If you want to pack huge loads of finely ground stuff, probably will clog, even in the new dogs. I THOUGHT I needed a coarser grinder - until I found ways to use finer screens with my stems. Now I'm good.

Actually I should try that and report back.

Plus I can get a spice grinder for like $15 or $20. I can grind my herb to flour too, LOL! As opposed to over $100 for that Brilliant Cut Grinder. I've actually got a spare spice grinder somewhere I think - not counting the two I actually use for cooking LOL!

But if you're into big loads, you may still want a coarse grinder. I believe arb said that in his experience, large loads of fine grind will still pack and clog the screens with the new dogs.
Okay I totally get what you're talking about now. It's been a long day lol.

Finer screens would be nice, I don't think I'm going to have time to experiment though before I smoke through the equivalent of a new vape figuring things out. I've got like 2oz of this shake to go through, it's actually dry popcorn but usually its the stuff your talking about.

Its more of a tolerance thing I think, I started using concentrates daily in wax pens and erigs when my state went medical for the sake of convenience and because fresh flower prices were insane. A large screen for the ud holds my 1/2 to 1/3 of the cloud evos basket and one of those was usually a pretty good starting point for me with street weed.
But back then I would load 5 bowls at once and not have to spend much time reloading baskets. With the UD I spend a lot more time filling and stirring the 1 gong or nong I have than I do vaping so I think I might get more stems to see if I can get medicated faster.

@underdog I did some testing last night with my UD running at 12v instead of 12.3v, and I ultimately had to go back and revape it on 12.3v after doing a second heat soak to get the temps up. Since everyone has pointed out that thats probably hotter than it needs to be I thought I would just ask you if this was all normal before going out and buying 3rd party power supplies.

Since all UD are going to be different because of so many different factors could a combination of the wood type and specific resistance in the heating cartridge, etc.. could mine just require a little extra power than most? It is an SC3+, I assumed at first they ran hotter at a lower voltage but I've since realized that that's not how they work per se.

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid but I want to be 100% safe. During the initial break in period the heater fluctuated a bunch in a way that seems unrelated to my electrical problems, as though the heater cartridge was breaking in. After that period my dog started running much hotter more consistently but unless I'm going crazy it seems like I've slowly started losing the "range" of the working voltage settings I once had. I ran my ud at 11.5v for whole day a few weeks ago for direct draw and it worked as expected but at the moment the lowest I've gone wad 12v to try to cool the vapor off but then wasn't getting even extraction.

Any thoughts before I make any purchases? This had all been done on a conditioned UPS and as of last night the readout was going +/-0.1v for most of the night without anything touch the knob.

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
Which UPS do you have? This might be a stupid question or one that was already answered but have you tried it at someone else’s place or without the UPS or an external battery just to rule out a few factors ?

Sour Dream,

CurryLeafTreehugger

<snippage>

Any thoughts before I make any purchases? This had all been done on a conditioned UPS and as of last night the readout was going +/-0.1v for most of the night without anything touch the knob.

+/-0.1v is nothing on these low cost VVPS. On the UD supplied ones, when they show 2 decimal places, that is nothing near accurate. Just assume that whatever your display shows, its only accurate to within about +/= 0.1. It flips around because its on a rounding edge, like the internal firmware is calculating the voltage to display and it is varying just enough at the 2nd decimal place that it flips between the round up and the round down. That .0x volt variance is not significant for our purposes.

But they should be (and mine are, both the Tekpower and the UD) RELIABLE, eg you should get about the same results at the same setting every time. But unless you can plug into a known good outlet, I don't think there's a lot of purpose in worrying about the VVPS. It's probably the power out of the wall.

I am pretty sure there is a thingy you can plug the UD in to and plug it into your car lighter. Maybe that would help to check reliability of the VVPS?

The new cores DO run hotter than the older ones. They require lower voltage to reach the proper operating temperatures. Neither of my air cores had a VVPS, they ran at 12v. Mine ran a little hot so I got the Tekpower and lowered the voltage a bit, I forget where it settled but it was lower than 12v. I've used that Tekpower for all my dogs ever since.

With the new Alpha core and the SC3+, I have the Alpha running at 10.6/10.7, and the SC3+ is running at 10.5/10.6. Way lower than the original 12v.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

tom battleboar

@Enialis

I was planning on going to a coarser grind for the UD, because the crumbs come through the provided screen. However you can drop a 1/2" screen flat on top of the UD provided screens for the Alpha glass direct draw stem (if you put the UD basket screens in flat side up) - but your fine screen needs to be dead flat. I would MAKE the screens but I can't find a fine screen in 1" or larger (for less than a dollar apiece at any rate). I've been tempted to try to hunt up my disc cutter and make my own LOL! But I'm not sure it goes up to a whole inch.

For the regular glass direct draw, you can do the same thing with a 3/8" fine screen (or if you can find 3/4" fine screens, you can make a basket screen for that). There is also a way to balance a screen on the lip of a glass direct draw stem (wouldn't work on the SS tips, they're too thin-walled to support a screen) flat on top held in place with silicone tubing. 3/4" flat for the Alpha DD glass and 1/2" flat for the regular UD glass DD stem.

Not sure what other stems the standard basket screen fit in. Well the SS direct draw uses tiny basket screens, not sure about the hybrid but I think the ID on that is the same as the regular (non-Alpha) glass direct draw.

Since I've found ways to get a fine screen in there (weird ways, but ways that nonetheless work) I've decided I don't need a coarse grinder. With my SC2, there was too much air flow restriction to manage a fine screen with fine herb powder, it would pack and clog almost immedately. Because of that, I never considered using the shake even with a fine screen, but the draw on the Alpha and the SC3/SC3+ is much freer, and it works with a fine screen on the new dogs. I'm good with finer screens for that "shake" now.

But if you want a coarse grinder, the Brilliant Cut Grinder (coarse plate) was my choice for a coarse grinder. There is also the LIft? Lyft? Can't remember how

I just use crappy 40$ shake now in my sc3 and sc3+ Aroma Dog. Sometimes Alpha glass set at 10.8v to 11.8 and finish on sc3+ 11.0 to 12v. This device is god send. I can use it at work in my car for Aromatherapy essential oils no cannabis products, legal hemp as well. I can use in car, home, work, or office. I wish it had a timer built in to turn on and off like them Aromatherapy machines. Since a forest is growing in my room. But you know what's still cool, i didn't need to purchase extra accessories and I just recycled my equipment i had in my home. But I did get a few things I need like copper cups. Because right now it's ghetto hookups with copper penny or quarter with essentials oils like lavender or etc. Hi guy's don't trip on the free giveaway it's still down for the pound. You know 👊 it 😏 to 🏆 it
I just have busy life work so much n pain as well cervical radiculopathy. But you know what is cool my personal business start up. Tomorrow and then I will take a vacation to Australia on mom's day. My family is sick. I can also do the slogan of my business as well in materialistic items. From my personal business experience. Hi thanks guy's I will try to post around in other forums to draw more attention to Underdog. Lol 😆 it's not really a Underdog I do feel it's quite powerful at time's like 11.3 or 11.5 can combust on some flowers with different humanity levels. I am going to test his Underdog against boveda packs vs none to see combust voltages for each humanity of each flower. Even shake i can just efffin get it so hot that the basket continues to cook the herbs flowers after you have done inhaling the flowers essential oils. During that period I can toke inhale essential flower terps with going back to the heater. It's werid the volt be like 11.3 to 11.9v. Then sometimes it just efffin combusts like whoa you get that posion feeling of paranoia n tripping n that gross taste smell of combust. Hi I did die once almost on an Underdog or died twice almost well first time was when it combust and the ash char came in my mouth lungs i was rinising out n spitting. Then second was when it combusted and the screen got sucked with adh char into my mouth i though the screen was in my throat i was done tripping i was like where was it. And found it next to my angel 😇book. My new spiritual beliefs

Oops

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I'm pretty surprised more people aren't raving about the flavor from this vape, I'm an anal snob and still get surprised by the bright flavor and smooth vapor off the Alpha.

Fixed a lot of my AVB issues too, for some reason I thought the screen on the Nong was fixed because the first time I tried adjusting it, it didn't really go anywhere. With the screen all the way at the bottom, I could feel with my finger on the metal when inhaling that it wasn't adding much conduction, pushed the screen up 1/4-1/2" from the bottom and it seems to be adding a bit more conduction to the sides of the load now.

This Alpha will be going on vacation with another FC member before returning to big poppa @arb

Also, I might start an official thread for "vape swapping" AKA open source vape reviews where members can facilitate the exchange of devices to evaluate and test drive them. Most of us have multiple devices in our fleet, why not let another valued member borrow one for a test drive. The best vape reviews have always come from members of this forum.

MikeRotchHertz

I'm pretty surprised more people aren't raving about the flavor from this vape, I'm an anal snob and still get surprised by the bright flavor and smooth vapor off the Alpha.

Fixed a lot of my AVB issues too, for some reason I thought the screen on the Nong was fixed because the first time I tried adjusting it, it didn't really go anywhere. With the screen all the way at the bottom, I could feel with my finger on the metal when inhaling that it wasn't adding much conduction, pushed the screen up 1/4-1/2" from the bottom and it seems to be adding a bit more conduction to the sides of the load now.

This Alpha will be going on vacation with another FC member before returning to big poppa @arb

Also, I might start an official thread for "vape swapping" AKA open source vape reviews where members can facilitate the exchange of devices to evaluate and test drive them. Most of us have multiple devices in our fleet, why not let another valued member borrow one for a test drive. The best vape reviews have always come from members of this forum.

I have been exchanging vapes with an inner circle for a while now and have had a blast doing it.

I often joke that it was to prevent ourselves from buying everything when VAS strikes, but ultimately I believe I've bought more from realizing that I just HAD to have that particular vape in my collection now.

I had the fortune of trying a vapman station before I bought one thanks to @seki. I have paid it forward and am loaning it out to a fellow member on here and it feels great. It's a great way to demo something for cheap before taking the plunge. I'd like to borrow one inverzion please! Lol

Anyway, I'll reveal big wang is coming my way and in return @arb will be borrowing my proto sc2 based alpha. It will be good for me to hear his side by side comparison and also reassure me that I should buy a couple new alphas.

P.S. Flavor for logs is off the charts. I particularly love the standard size SS for flavor. Who doesn't love taking green hits every time? Back when I combusted I preferred that to massive bowls too.

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
So I played around with that Alpha a bunch over the weekend and think I forgot to post in here about it. But just to reiterate, there were a few alpha units that got sent back for lack of performance, not what was expected, doesn't work, or for whatever reason. I took one of them to see if I could get it to work well for me - and to me, it works beautifully. I'm not sure who the original owner was or what the exact complaint was but I personally find it to be pretty much how I expected, a more powerful/better performing SC3, which is my only previous experience with a log.

Going through water was actually extremely underwhelming, but I believe that's because of my water piece itself. It's a 14mm, so I already had to neck down the 18mm gong/nong to 14, and the mouthpiece on the bubbler itself is pretty necked down... anyways so I need an 18mm wide open glass piece to really test that out. So far until proven otherwise the Nylon Direct Draw is my favorite.

Again, have yet to "overpower" the heater, I've been getting IMO consistent and fully extracted avb, big smooth tasty rips so idk. I think this lost dog may have found itself a new home to be honest.

arb

Semi shaved ape
001.jpg

For a couple of my reddit fans you know who you are.
I will try and get that other unit I don't have up for you this weekend.
😁

tom battleboar

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Heya Dogs time for a quick shop update..

We are once again playing catch up with custom orders and power supply back orders so won't be having
a 420 sale this year. There's also going to be a gap in vape availability for the next couple weeks as the next
refresh isn't going to drop until 2 weeks from today on Friday the 30th.

There is some good news though in that the refresh on the 30th should be larger than the more recent ones so more
people will have a chance to pick up an Underdog and there should be a number of each type of core (SC3, SC3+, Alpha, etc)
as well.

We'll also be bringing back some old in-house accessories like Stem Caddies and higher end VVPS options. :cheers:

Top Bottom