Tornado by Vestratto

PrematureEvaporation

I think it's because of the lighting in the video that its avb looks poorly extracted.
The flare is also much more affordable.
I heard that blacksmithing is very expensive, do you have any idea of the price?
Maybe that could be the case. Saying that though, I’ve watched many of his vids shot in the same spot and lighting as I quite enjoy them - the AVB is still light relative to AVB from other vids. I’d love to know what’s going on there

I’m not sure about blacksmithing prices or the process in general, the closest I’ve come is getting hammered on my anvil :p

PrematureEvaporation,

Oden

Maybe that could be the case. Saying that though, I’ve watched many of his vids shot in the same spot and lighting as I quite enjoy them - the AVB is still light relative to AVB from other vids. I’d love to know what’s going on there

I’m not sure about blacksmithing prices or the process in general, the closest I’ve come is getting hammered on my anvil :p
It would be cool if he took a photo of the avb after each video so we're sure.

I have to admit that since you mentioned this Flare I want to buy a Tornado even more for today's drop lol.
But again this seems not to be completely optimal unless this functionality is removed? But in this case we have to wait for a new Flare before buying it?

PrematureEvaporation

It would be cool if he took a photo of the avb after each video so we're sure.

I have to admit that since you mentioned this Flare I want to buy a Tornado even more for today's drop lol.
But again this seems not to be completely optimal unless this functionality is removed? But in this case we have to wait for a new Flare before buying it?
I don’t really know to be honest with you. I’d imagine it’ll be a slight revision of the flare in future batches that makes the change, unless there’s a way to update the firmware over the wire with a PC. It will work as it is though, just not sure where the performance ceiling would be when using the tornado with the current flare and its current settings. Only people that have both can answer that, and it’s a very small group at the moment.

The tornado works brilliantly with a torch so you’re not losing out on any device based functionality if you buy one today. I’m holding out for a stem based tornado before I buy in though.

PrematureEvaporation,
Reactions: Oden

eyevape

👀
This term gasification seems to be a scam to me.
Pure marketing.
I’d think the same if it wasn’t Vestratto. Since I’m a graphics designer I don’t believe in things that advertising tells me. But John is no marketing guy or salesman, he is an engineer. Call me naive, but I believe everything he says. If this was all about money making, he would build Dynavaps.

RedZep

I’d think the same if it wasn’t Vestratto. Since I’m a graphics designer I don’t believe in things that advertising tells me. But John is no marketing guy or salesman, he is an engineer. Call me naive, but I believe everything he says. If this was all about money making, he would build Dynavaps.
He is a bit. Remember the golf balls and footballs analogy?

I honestly think it's a load of bollocks. Tornado gets you high as balls because it's a massive Anvil. Nothing more needs to be said.

eyevape

👀

I honestly think it's a load of bollocks. Tornado gets you high as balls because it's a massive Anvil. Nothing more needs to be said.
I must have missed that one. Also I expressed myself wrong saying that I believe everything he says. That would be a bit too much. But I don’t think Vestratto makes useless gimmicks for sales sake. I believe if they come up with something new, it must be useful and worth coming up with.

PrematureEvaporation

Don’t forget that 95% convection thing in the sneaky Pete interview that he totally didn’t make up on the spot. John says some wacky stuff sometimes but at the same time he inarguably makes world class vapes

@eyevape not sure if you’re interested in some technical discussion about it, but if you go into the Phase 3 vaporisers thread and scroll a page or two back I asked @invertedisdead for his opinion on the gasification thing. He gave me a really detailed answer with some analogies and images that really helped me understand it. I’ve changed my mind since reading it. Whatever it is that makes it hit harder I’m not sure, but I don’t believe it’s gasifying anything. It’s just a very, very good device like all of Johns designs tend to be.

simba

@weedanwine
I think it's because of the lighting in the video that its avb looks poorly extracted.

It's definitely not the lighting, that AVB was very green. But I saw that as a good thing. He got big clouds yet there's still plenty left in the bowl.

The question of the Flare heating is separate though, it takes a while to heat in there.

RedZep

I must have missed that one. Also I expressed myself wrong saying that I believe everything he says. That would be a bit too much. But I don’t think Vestratto makes useless gimmicks for sales sake. I believe if they come up with something new, it must be useful and worth coming up with.
I think the particle thing is a gimmick. I also think the science doesn't hold up.

I also think the Tornado will be an incredible device, that needs zero marketing other than "Big Anvil"

mixchu69

I’m wondering if I should purchase the tornado. I’m a big fan of my anvil wpa combo with XL bowl. I’m feeling that the tornado may not provide a much different experience.

Does anyone have the anvil wpa and tornado? Are they similar? The 1 thing I would like is better airflow

Roffa

I’m wondering if I should purchase the tornado. I’m a big fan of my anvil wpa combo with XL bowl. I’m feeling that the tornado may not provide a much different experience.

Does anyone have the anvil wpa and tornado? Are they similar? The 1 thing I would like is better airflow
I'm on an Anvil thermocore + xl bowl and mouthpiece. I use it natively, with a torch and with the wand. Haven't gone back to the Anvil since I've had the Tornado. Shame I can't use that with a stem yet, but a dedicated adapter and stem is a matter of time. Very perceivable difference to me and I use my vestratto device daily.

leanpubpackage

TORNADO HAS LANDED.

Visual first impressions, as I cannot test until Thursday evening (sad):
-The bowl is massive, but I don’t think it needs to be completely full for you to get an effective hit. I think as long as you have enough to cover the screen, which is same size as anvil, it will extract well. This is an assumption based on my experience with the XL bowl
-quality of machining is consistent with the quality I have received with the duracore and thermocore
-when the bowl is screwed down, there’s a hairline gap that’s left (still screws on securely despite gap) I’m not sure if this was adjusted following incidences of thread locking, but I will not be the guinea pig. I’ll be sure to still back it off

Interestingly, there is a thin copper exposure at the botttom of the “gasification chamber”, indicating that the copper core runs through the entirely of the thermal battery AND gas chamber. This tells me there’s a true purpose behind it, otherwise, why would vestratto spend the time to do this, knowing how hard it is to fuse SS with a copper layer. Lots of work for a gimmick, IMO

Thursday can’t come fast enough

Last edited:

eyevape

👀
@eyevape not sure if you’re interested in some technical discussion about it, but if you go into the Phase 3 vaporisers thread and scroll a page or two back I asked @invertedisdead for his opinion on the gasification thing. He gave me a really detailed answer with some analogies and images that really helped me understand it. I’ve changed my mind since reading it. Whatever it is that makes it hit harder I’m not sure, but I don’t believe it’s gasifying anything. It’s just a very, very good device like all of Johns designs tend to be.
Very interesting read, thanks. But also kind of disappointing. I wanted the gasification thing to be true, since the bioavailability droplet size thing makes perfect sense. And even more I wanted John to be honest. I watched the video again and yes.. he’s getting pretty vague at the gasification part. A little too much simplification.

I think the particle thing is a gimmick. I also think the science doesn't hold up.

I also think the Tornado will be an incredible device, that needs zero marketing other than "Big Anvil"
The text by @invertedisdead seems to proof the gimmick suspicion 😕 Yeah, at least it’ll be a good device still.

hotmeals

Serial vapist
I think @invertedisdead may be being a little binary in his explanation here. I don't think John ever claimed to be achieving the same level and uniformity of particle size modification as something like a spray paint can. I also don't think that means it isn't breaking down any of the particles at all. In the picture @invertedisdead posted you can see that there is some mist coming directly out of the hose's nozzle. Compare that to a hose with nothing on the end. Maybe he can share some more details that would prove a less complete and uniform, but still partially modified particle size result to be impossible, but for now I'm giving Vestratto the benefit of the doubt that it at least does something. Whether it is a significant and noticeable difference is another question. We do have at least 2 users in here reporting stronger effects with the same amount of material as the Anvil.

No hate at all to @invertedisdead or anyone else

The tornado works brilliantly with a torch so you’re not losing out on any device based functionality if you buy one today. I’m holding out for a stem based tornado before I buy in though.
I'm getting my tornado on 19th
on which spots do you torch yours?
and which torch you use?
how long do you heat till 2nd click?

thanks for your efforts

RedZep

Very interesting read, thanks. But also kind of disappointing. I wanted the gasification thing to be true, since the bioavailability droplet size thing makes perfect sense. And even more I wanted John to be honest. I watched the video again and yes.. he’s getting pretty vague at the gasification part. A little too much simplification.

The text by @invertedisdead seems to proof the gimmick suspicion 😕 Yeah, at least it’ll be a good device still.
I honestly think John might believe it himself. It's quite a complex mechanism. I don't think it's some kind of swindle. Just spin.

He put spin on the first Anvil release, but it didn't matter as people still got a great vape, at an honestly good price considering the manufacturing process. I wouldn't let it bother you. If he never mentioned the gasofication thing and just said "what's up, here's a big ol fatty Anvil. It will send you to space" people would have been just as intrigued.

PrematureEvaporation

@hotmeals

In fairness to inverted. He was using some simplified analogies and imagery to help visualise his point for someone like me with limited technical knowledge.

I mean with respect to John, he’s kept his claims quite vague so there’s always some wiggle room when the claims inevitably get questioned.

As previously stated I agree with inverted, that the method to do it in a meaningful way is not really something feasible right now, in theory. Even if it was, the challenge would then be to keep those shrunken particles from enlarging whilst also keeping the temperature of the vapour manageable. Seems to just be a very unstable and hard to manage situation all round IMO.

Perhaps John has really achieved it, we won’t know without a reliable way to test and quantify. He did make the same claims with the anvil too, and then went quiet on that front.

All that matters really is how hard it hits, and all reports are coming back saying that it does indeed. That’s more than enough for me

hotmeals

Serial vapist
In fairness to inverted. He was using some simplified analogies and imagery to help visualise his point for someone like me with limited technical knowledge.
Agreed. I also have limited knowledge on this topic.
the challenge would then be to keep those shrunken particles from enlarging whilst also keeping the temperature of the vapour manageable.
There is always loss as the vapor travels. Nothing is perfectly efficient. I think it seems reasonably plausible that the Tornado achieves a sufficiently modified particle size that when used with common sizes of glass pieces, especially smaller and dry, there is still a significant quantity of smaller particles at the point of inhalation.
He did make the same claims with the anvil too, and then went quiet on that front.
I remember those claims about the Anvil. How did he go quiet about that? Were people asking him to go more in depth and he never did? To me it seems like the Tornado is the continuation of his claims there, and I believe he is claiming the Tornado does this job better than the Anvil. Again, he never claimed that the Anvil achieved a perfect result, and I don't think he is doing so with the Tornado either. I don't recall him claiming the Anvil having an entire section of the device dedicated to performing this function. To me that is a significant difference between the claims being made about these devices.

eyevape

👀
@RedZep @PrematureEvaporation @hotmeals
So the gasification atomization golfballification topic is at least questionable. I didn’t know that the same has been announced for the Anvil. Always thought that it’s simply the portion of conduction which makes it hit like that, paired with well timed click discs.

Whatever the Vestratto magic sauce may be, it’s working great with the Anvil. And from what we’ve heard here it does even better with the Tornado. I have no doubt it won’t disappoint me, for whatever technical/physical reason this may be true. Very excited that my Tornado is about to cross the Atlantic Ocean 🌪️

PrematureEvaporation

There is always loss as the vapor travels. Nothing is perfectly efficient. I think it seems reasonably plausible that the Tornado achieves a sufficiently modified particle size that when used with common sizes of glass pieces, especially smaller and dry, there is still a significant quantity of smaller particles at the point of inhalation.
I disagree, I don’t see how such an unstable situation can be managed in a way that it makes a meaningful difference in terms of smaller particle numbers available whilst also being at a manageable temperature to breathe in. I really do think the resulting vapour from a theoretically successful “gasification” will simply be too hot to inhale comfortably. Then by the time it’s cooled enough I just don’t see there being much of a difference in available small particles compared to the “standard” vapour before the process started.

I remember those claims about the Anvil. How did he go quiet about that? Were people asking him to go more in depth and he never did? To me it seems like the Tornado is the continuation of his claims there, and I believe he is claiming the Tornado does this job better than the Anvil. Again, he never claimed that the Anvil achieved a perfect result, and I don't think he is doing so with the Tornado either. I don't recall him claiming the Anvil having an entire section of the device dedicated to performing this function. To me that is a significant difference between the claims being made about these devices.
He went quiet as he never really mentioned it again after the initial claim. Anything further from that point is speculation. I remember he said a few odd things in that initial rush of hype when the anvil first hit the scene. That’s just John though. I’ve been around Vestratto since December ‘21 when I first saw whiff’s Reddit posts before the shilling drama, and got my anvil March ‘22 in the second waitlist drop. Like I said, the guy makes claims that are punchy enough to sound like he’s doing something different but vague enough that there’s wiggle room. You are using said wiggle room in your replies to me so it works well.

I think ultimately we will just need to agree to disagree as I can’t help but feel this topic is starting to clog the thread and probably annoying those who aren’t bothered about it and want to hear about the device. Bit of a circular topic that’s always going to swing back around to differences in subjective opinion in the absence of any real data or tests.

Maybe a separate thread will be a good idea? There’s certainly a few of us that enjoy discussing it, that’s for sure. Would hate for this good spirited discussion to die out as much as I’d hate for it to suffocate this thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom