TinyMight / TM 2

SkaPunk

The cooling unit is not bad, but it does get gunked quick and it affects the flavour.

After almost two years using the TM OG I've settled in two solutions, one for home and another when outside, "on the road" (mostly lounges, restaurants and such in my case). None of them involve the cooling unit.

For home, the stems Tinymight calls extra long 3D cooling stem are good (both models), they give better flavour and good cooling. Big difference than with the normal cooling unit stems.

As others have suggested you can go more fancy with WPA attached to j-hooks, bubblers, bongs or many other types. Only downside is these glasses can get expensive quick, that's why I think the ones TinyMight sell are a good starting point. If you go the WPA route try going all glass with an all glass WPA adaptor, not even metallic basket, for great flavour.

For outside, I need it to be portable and, more importantly , discreet. For this reason I've settle on using the dosing capsules. They allow me to change the load everywhere without having to go outside/bathroom if I'm in a place where I can not be seen with herb, plus it is very convenient. It is true that they affect the flavour a bit, but that's the compromise. Get the ones with the plastic container for easy carrying.

For the stem, I combine the dosing capsules with a glass stem like this (no cooling unit):

These ones are from rogue, but others do similar ones, these are just examples. I have no affiliation with this shop.

With no cooling unit, the only metal part is the dosing capsules, which keeps the flavour quite nice, and the size keeps it portable and discreet enough, while still offering decent cooling. The spikes give enough cooling if you do not go heavy into 9-10 territory (when I'm in public I usually do not go above 5-6, unless I'm trying to give a last pass to used herb).

When outside it is all a compromise between portability, discretion, cooling and flavour. This solution is the most optimized compromise in all parameters that I've been able to think and test. I have even used it in posh restaurants without a problem. It is great.

A simple stem with the cooling unit is a decent starting point, but after you try any of these solutions I do not think you'll want to go back. Plus, I find both of them easier to clean than the cooling unit system. After spending a year cleaning the cooling units religiously, now they are in storage and never used.

Hope my experience helps. And any suggestion for improvement is welcomed.
Do you think the metal cooler makes weed taste worse?
I bought a second filter and a long tube, made a double cooling unit (see photo), but in my opinion the taste is worse and the cough is more ...
photo-2023-05-02-20-35-07-2.jpg

I prefer this bong adapter without a cooler:
photo-2023-05-02-20-44-41.jpg

photo-2023-05-02-20-43-10.jpg

How do you feel about the perception of metal meshes, as in the photo below? Do you think they spoil the taste?
photo-2023-05-02-20-35-07.jpg

Last edited:
SkaPunk,
Reactions: BigJr48

Varden

Do you think the metal cooler makes weed taste worse?
I bought a second filter and a long tube, made a double cooling unit (see photo), but in my opinion the taste is worse and the cough is more ...

Yes, the cooling unit affects the flavour IMO. And I do not think I am fooling myself into believing something that is not there because the effect is very noticeable and others have told me the same, in person and in this forum.

After my message, someone commented about using an emptied half of the cooling unit with glass balls as a way to have good cooling while not affecting the flavour much. I have not tried it yet but I want to and see how it feels. You might want to try with that too.

I prefer this bong adapter without a cooler:

How do you feel about the perception of metal meshes, as in the photo below? Do you think they spoil the taste?

Yeah, the all glass stem with the "glass mesh" to put the herb is great. I have that same one and I am waiting delivery of the new 14mm with "glass mesh" that TinyMight put out recently.

I do think the metal mesh affects the taste a bit and using and all glass path is better, but is a lot less noticeable than with the cooling unit. Only the metal mesh and then all glass gives you a really nice taste honestly.

Even using an all glass path, others have pointed out that reducing the glass path, as in a shorter path from the herb to you, just enough to cool, gives better flavour than a longer path. I have not experimented enough with this because I am still building my glass collection, but you might want to if, like me, you seem to care about the taste. Shape of the glass might influence too.

Also, for the ones thinking that we care too much about taste, I want to point out that different taste means different chemical composition, even if just slightly, and that can potentially affect the high. I understand this is a bit speculative and hard to test, but it makes sense. It is not just being snobbish.

With a cleaner path, that gives "better" flavour, you are getting a more accurate load of what the herb can give. With a more obstructed or metallic paths, with "worse" flavour, you are leaving some compounds or changing the composition, even if slightly. Plus, in general we have evolved to find "better" taste for the things that are better for us. Just like we can taste fresh and rotten food as good and bad tasting, same is likely with the taste of the vapour.

Again, I'll admit it is hard to test. I just really enjoy a good natural flavour while vaping, makes the whole thing a lot more pleasurable and relaxing. I believe that is my brain telling me that's better. But I understand others will not care as much.

Daisuk

@gangababa, you also take out the screens of the CU halves, make both hollow parts face each other and thus use that empty space to fill a bit more balls.
If not for more balls, it will allow you to shorten the distance between those 2 halves so the whole CU can be a bit further away from your lips (keeping the same bowl size en cooling you have now).
The only "downside" is that you'll need a mesh screen just before the CU (otherwise herbs can go throu the holes of the metal cylinder of the CU ):2c:

I don't think so. You may be able to use the deeper Arizer ones if you file/sand the rim though. But if your bowl is deeper than it's wide you'll probably get uneven extraction and will need to stir.

Here are the cooling stems i "created". The shortened Grav Upline Taster with half a CU filled with 4mm SS balls is probably the best short cooling stem on the market 😅 So confortable and it cools the vapor so well.
I broke a short stem but it lasted enough length to cut it cleanly and use it with the Ditanium mouthpiece and thus have one of the shortest 14mm WPA. 👌🤘

Nice - thanks! :) I've been eyeballing an Octotaster thing, but not sure where to buy it from. The one you've made looks ace. Which parts did you get to assemble that? :)

Daisuk,

2minTurkish

Oh I'm sure you have, I posted my TM stems from him here before as have others, you may not have looked closely though...? Anyway yeah I bought out his supply of the light blue and the purple glass for these lol
You're the culprit! Lol. I had asked about another blue vigreux stem a while back but he said the glass was all gone and he had a hard time getting more.

badmrfrosty

Accidentally knocked my TM2 unit off my desk yesterday.

Checked the inner glass stem and it's unscathed. Checked for rattling in case the glass around the heater broke, but didn't hear anything. Am I all set or should I open it to make sure the heater glass isn't broken?

badmrfrosty,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Accidentally knocked my TM2 unit off my desk yesterday.

Checked the inner glass stem and it's unscathed. Checked for rattling in case the glass around the heater broke, but didn't hear anything. Am I all set or should I open it to make sure the heater glass isn't broken?
If it seems fine, I would not open it. That seems likely to cause more problems. I think the TM is tougher than people think, although anyone can be unlucky.

If it seems like it is working fine, and the glass around the stem is fine, I would not worry about it, myself.

Goatts

Fresh TM stems dropped this AM for anyone in need.
Thanks for the tip, been stalking TRWW site forever waiting for TM stems. Placed my order and excited to receive.
I thought my VAS was quelled with the passing of the 420 storm. That was a short quell :goon:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Damn, RWW has some nice glass. I really like the ball and pellet stems they have for only $30!

I'd never dare do a direct comparison. But if I'm recalling correctly, you came to the TM from daily dabbing, right? Me too.

I can tell you as someone who got used to tasty concentrates...pure convection vapes like the TM offer the best experience.

You know, I love my TM2, but I have yet to try it with concentrates. I couldn't say why, but it's on my short list now. I have a Core erig for my low intensity dabbing, and my mind associates the TM2 with vaping flower. I used to vape with cotton all the time with previous vapes so I need to give this a go.

BTW, I just vaped some Ice Cream Cake flower through the TM2 and it was just lovely. I like to just leave mine set at 3 for the whole session.

florduh

Damn, RWW has some nice glass. I really like the ball and pellet stems they have for only $30!

You know, I love my TM2, but I have yet to try it with concentrates. I couldn't say why, but it's on my short list now. I have a Core erig for my low intensity dabbing, and my mind associates the TM2 with vaping flower. I used to vape with cotton all the time with previous vapes so I need to give this a go.

BTW, I just vaped some Ice Cream Cake flower through the TM2 and it was just lovely. I like to just leave mine set at 3 for the whole session.

Oh sorry I wasn't clear, sorry! I mean the convection flavor from flower worked out well for me coming from a concentrate only diet. But, hey why not experiment with using the TM for concentrates too?

badbee

I mean it was a short fall and it just plopped on its side, it didn't bounce around or anything
I would just keep using it if you can't see any issues looking down the barrel. Opening it up can go badly. I had the same thing happen with my TM1 and now the vibrator only works when it's really warm. Not knowing the battery charge is mildly annoying but when it suddenly turns off, I know why that last hit was weak :)

Varden

I would just keep using it if you can't see any issues looking down the barrel. Opening it up can go badly. I had the same thing happen with my TM1 and now the vibrator only works when it's really warm. Not knowing the battery charge is mildly annoying but when it suddenly turns off, I know why that last hit was weak :)

If you do not need to open you should not, but in case you need to this video shows how to:

I've used the trick of putting tape around the lower metallic part so it does not come out and it works. Several times and it works all perfectly.

Varden,

Old Moderate

BTW, I just vaped some Ice Cream Cake flower through the TM2 and it was just lovely. I like to just leave mine set at 3 for the whole session
I’ve slowly progressed to exactly this setting (3) and no longer temp set after having the TM2 for a couple months. I actually think @Shit Snacks is right about eventually getting pretty good extraction at lower temps, just slower. Every now and then I doubt things and turn up the dial at the end to see what’s left and usually it’s just tiny wisps of vapor. A slow session at 3 also makes it easy to share with a friend, which is almost always my scene. It’s actually sent me down a rabbit hole of scientific literature on evaporation, wind speed, and vapor pressure of Cannabinoids and terpenes that I will share at some point here. I think the loose packing, open air-path, and convection nature of the TM2 makes this possible where it might not be in a conduction-style vape, but I’ve not tested.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I’ve slowly progressed to exactly this setting (3) and no longer temp set after having the TM2 for a couple months. I actually think @Shit Snacks is right about eventually getting pretty good extraction at lower temps, just slower. Every now and then I doubt things and turn up the dial at the end to see what’s left and usually it’s just tiny wisps of vapor. A slow session at 3 also makes it easy to share with a friend, which is almost always my scene. It’s actually sent me down a rabbit hole of scientific literature on evaporation, wind speed, and vapor pressure of Cannabinoids and terpenes that I will share at some point here. I think the loose packing, open air-path, and convection nature of the TM2 makes this possible where it might not be in a conduction-style vape, but I’ve not tested.

I started at 6, then stepped down to 3 after only a few days. At 3 I noticed I was still getting big clouds but the hits felt a bit cooler and I got a bit more flavor. My feeling is, I'm getting what I want from the herb so why go up in temp. I also pack a moderately loose bowl. I use the straw method for loading and then just enough tamping to make the top flat. Slow and steady works well for me because it's just comfortable. I also think it's important to keep drawing for a few seconds after letting off the button. I sense a huge amount of vapor comes through at this time in the hit.

To me it still follows a similar pattern, at a 3 you still get the first terpy hit, then 3-4 good blasting hits, then another 1-2 that are lighter and overly roasty in flavor. I usually stop before the roasty hits because I don't need it. I don't want to jinx myself and anger the weed gods, but I have good access to great flower so I'm more likely to dump and reload early. I've lived through times of weed feast and times of weed famine and the TM2 seems great for both worlds. For the latter, the TM2 will ensure you extract every last bit.

Pappy

shmaporist
Disappointed by virginal taste test of 3D stem. The one thing I feared, happened -- the mesh basket came off when I removed the stem. I avoided getting ABV in the chamber but now have trepidation about using stem again. Will pick up Grav Upline and Octotaster but the bowls look larger than my preferred session size of .25 grams.

Last edited:
Pappy,
Reactions: cosimo

TangibleHangnail

Disappointed by virginal taste test of 3D stem. The one thing I feared, happened -- the mesh basket came off when I removed the stem. I avoided getting ABV in the chamber but now have trepidation about using stem again. Will pick up Grav Upline and Octotaster but the bowls look larger than my preferred session size of .25 grams.
Rimless basket screen? Those work very well for me.

Top Bottom