TinyMight / TM 2

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Red light keeps blinking, is that alright or should it be solid on?

Just to be clear – blinking means it's in stand-by. When you hold the button it heats up and stops blinking, when the set temp is reached it vibrates shortly. When you let go the device falls back in its blinking stand-by mode.

All this applies to the on-demand mode only.

When switched on, the number of vibrations (1-4) indicates the battery charge.

I never owned a Volcano, but I'm not sure the TM soundscape is comparable with it... Robot star wars would worry me a bit.

Edit @DonMarteng – just saw the video, I'm not sure how much the mike or the software amplifies the sound, but this sounds quite a bit more aggressive and much louder than my device I think. Edit again: yeah, it's even louder than the vibrations, I suppose something in the device is amplifying the sound.

Last edited:

DonMarteng

Just to be clear – blinking means it's in stand-by. When you hold the button it heats up and stops blinking, when the set temp is reached it vibrates shortly. When you let go the device falls back in its blinking stand-by mode.

All this applies to the on-demand mode only.

When switched on, the number of vibrations (1-4) indicates the battery charge.

I never owned a Volcano, but I'm not sure the TM soundscape is comparable with it... Robot star wars would worry me a bit.

Edit @DonMarteng – just saw the video, I'm not sure how much the mike or the software amplifies the sound, but this sounds quite a bit more aggressive and much louder than my device I think. Edit again: yeah, it's even louder than the vibrations, I suppose something in the device is amplifying the sound.

Yeah Im pretty sure this thing is too loud.
Could never use that in a cinema or next to my gf sleeping.
Its just like an electrical shaver :D
Sent the video to the manufacturer, lets see what it is.
Its louder than the vibration for sure, and quite annoying.
Performance is flawless!

Nano-Doser

Thanks for the clarification! Well the vapor quality masks the sound pretty good the more I use it.
Have a great weekend, I will be back with more questions/opinions :D

Edit: I recorded the sound, my microphone is bad so turn up the volume!

Its hard to really gauge the volume whilst listening to a recording like that but I don't think that is much (if any) louder than mine. I have heard people say that they only noticed the sound when a friend pointed it out to them and that surely suggests to me that different units have vastly varying volumes. I was kind of disappointed with the volume of the engaged heater to start with but have kind of gotten used to it but I will be very interested to hear what the response is to your video (from the manufacturer)

DonMarteng

Its hard to really gauge the volume whilst listening to a recording like that but I don't think that is much (if any) louder than mine. I have heard people say that they only noticed the sound when a friend pointed it out to them and that surely suggests to me that different units have vastly varying volumes. I was kind of disappointed with the volume of the engaged heater to start with but have kind of gotten used to it but I will be very interested to hear what the response is to your video (from the manufacturer)
Yes its quite hard to get a good recording of the sound when filming with a phone unfortunatly.
Most of you propably know the sound of one of these electrical mosquito rackets,
Id say it comes close to this :)
My friends will mock me for that unit Im pretty sure,
they just look for reasons to keep smoking their joints! :D

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@DonMarteng – Some ideas that might fix it or at least give us an idea where it comes from. I'm still looking at resonance factors.

1. Remove the stem (something loose in the cooling unit?)
2. Tighten the ring of the tube holder (without overtighten it)
3. Look at the temp dial, does it protrude / is it loose?
4. Does the battery cap sit flush?

Yes its quite hard to get a good recording of the sound when filming with a phone unfortunatly.

Yeah, but I think listening to that sound in relation to the vibration sounds paints a pretty clear picture.

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
It's hard to compare the soundlevel by this video :(
It's related to ones sense of hearing too. I damaged my hearing a bit in younger years and can't hear higher frequencies any more.
I personally could only hear something while pressing the button. My wife could hear a slight tone as spool noise or something, as soon as the device was switched on.

DonMarteng

@DonMarteng – Some ideas that might fix it or at least give us an idea where it comes from. I'm still looking at resonance factors.

1. Remove the stem (something loose in the cooling unit?)
2. Tighten the ring of the tube holder (without overtighten it)
3. Look at the temp dial, does it protrude / is it loose?
4. Does the battery cap sit flush?

Yeah, but I think listening to that sound in relation to the vibration sounds paints a pretty clear picture.
Thanks for your tips, already tried them.
Checked all the things you can unscrew and no changes.
Also squeezed the alu endings in every possible way but it seems to come from the inside,
when I put my ear to it Id say right about the middle/center of the wooden body.

DonMarteng,
Reactions: Siebter

im not a robot

giddy here too. i am on the road this weekend, perfect timing as i think my tm tried to arrive. sth to look forward to in monday then. i am curious how this sound / volume issue will play out, it does sound pretty odd in the video, but without a reference it is hard to tell. also, nice that the new stealth option is implemented. does it stay in stealth mode when turned off? i should find out soon enough though..

Some-new-user

I once had my mighty near my ear. It does produce a very quiet noise, I have tinnitus. It makes it difficult to ignore a noise once I can pick it out. My IQ is quite loud in comparison and then the MV1 I guess is the 'loudest' I have. I will try to do some comparison of noise levels over the weekend

im not a robot

. I will try to do some comparison of noise levels over the weekend
i would - seriously - love to hear those. sound is not anything one usually connects to vaping, not anything that to comes to mind really. but i used to love the almost inaudible crackling of combustion, the kind of minor event that only stands out in snowy landscapes in the dark. any vaporiser will have a tough time competing with this. still, i find the idea of comparing sonic profiles of vaporizers intriguing. it is possible i had too much wine tonight.

RelaxedNow

It’s official; I have CRS disease. I haven’t been able to find my Tinymight for two days!

Thankfully, I have a couple other decent vaporizers, but I’m kinda bummed because it’s definitely my favorite. Hopefully, I’ll find it in some stupid spot soon. It’d be ugly, but when I find it (or when I replace it) I might attach a Tile to it!

Worst part is I was straight when I last held it....I think. :rolleyes:

Anybody seen it?

Last edited:

badbee

If you are curious about the source of the noise it's a common feature of power regulation circuits. In order to provide a voltage to the heater that is lower (or higher) than maximum (or minimum) the regulator switches the output on and off really quickly. The effective voltage is the "average" over the pulses. This high speed switching often creates an audible frequency. If you are unlucky you hit a frequency that resonates and the sound level is amplified. Tiny changes in the circuit (literally unsoldering and resoldering a connection) can sometimes greatly reduce the sound level. If it's a concern the manufacturer can likely tweak it.

My Ghost buzzes a little but not to the extent that some people have complained about.

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Just finished reading all 81 pages of this thread. Big thank you to those patient souls who answered the same questions many times over and kept the forum on a positive course.

FYI. The TM website now has for sale a tube holder insert made of quartz glass to replace the aluminum one in the heating chamber. Sounds like people requested it and they responded quickly.:clap:

Brewervapesalot

Just finished reading all 81 pages of this thread. Big thank you to those patient souls who answered the same questions many times over and kept the forum on a positive course.

FYI. The TM website now has for sale a tube holder insert made of quartz glass to replace the aluminum one in the heating chamber. Sounds like people requested it and they responded quickly.:clap:

Nice option. Maybe not necessary. But I like responsiveness. I would prefer all aluminum replaced by stainless steel.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
'PWM Squeal' @badbee - Flashlight peeps turn to this immediately as a 'game over'. A lot of people can't hear these frequencies. They don't necessarily have to resonate with anything either. Just an ATiny13 chip will sing you a song. More progressive units just up'd the frequency to over 20,000 Hz. Having said that, I wonder if the coil 'sings' [resonance excitation].

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
Nice option. Maybe not necessary. But I like responsiveness. I would prefer all aluminum replaced by stainless steel.

That was my original thought as well. Wondering if there would be noticeable performance differences due to the way the different materials would heat up or retain heat? Nah.:hmm:

Top Bottom