The Toad from Morwood

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
This was my favorite from the batch, that gradient and button combo 😍

Thanks! I really love it. It was my 2nd choice, after the snowy pines one, but only because I really loved the art & hand painted scenery! Thought that was really unique for a vape.

I dont feel remotely let down - this one is just as awesome! I can't wait to get it.

@Improvaper awesome choice! That button and color combo is killer!

Congrats to everybody else I hope you all got what you wanted!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Just sent out emails with your numbers!

I'd be interested to know what the process felt like from your perspective... did it feel like a good method?

6 people got their first choice, 3 people their 2nd, 1 person their 3rd, 1 person their 4th. 2 people unfortunately didn't get any of their top 5.

So, on one hand most people got their top pick... but on the other hand, I wish everyone could just get that number one pick! The non-custom crafting process just doesn't allow for that I guess.

I did like how everyone had time to make their picks, and it wasn't a feeding frenzy where you had to pick as fast as possible or risk missing out.

The cool thing about this method is that I can see which Toads are most popular, and that will help me for future batches. I can balance what I want to make, with what is popular. I like that sort of collaboration.

Top 5 most popular:
1. 005 - Snowy pine
2. 007 - Greenish fade with blobs
3. 004 - Yellow with abstract sumi brushwork
4. 001 - Green mushroom scene
5. 012/014 - blue fade/blue with grainy splotches

I absolutely love the texture on that dark brown one, reminds me of concrete, but dyed, old, weathered concrete, superb.

Thanks man! And you totally got exactly what I was going for....pretty much. I was hoping it would look like a stone... with the lichen button representing the lichen growing on it.

I think I'll be doing more of this style for sure. I'm really inspired by wood fired pottery right now, all those natural rocky looking glazes and such.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
on my Mac, the pics look better on FC than on Imgur. All are stunning... I changed my list last night.

I keep coming back to #14
My top pick is mine! I'm thrilled...
View attachment 13781
View attachment 13782
I won't lie... that one stole my attention!

I ended up with my first choice also, the big ole red shroom!
006-front-jpg.13738

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hey Dan, how did the crafting time and labor feel on the Toad project? Surely batch 1 will always be the most time and work as you've got to setup processes. Just curious how it ended up compared to your initial goals of fast and fun.

It ended up being exactly what I wanted, and more. If I had to say what I thought saved me the most time, it would probably be the fact that I spent a year or so optimizing the design, before going into production. And without the knowledge gained from the Nomads, this design would have never been possible... so the entire thing is piggybacking on everything I've done beforehand.

Many of the jigs and processes are exactly the same as the Nomads, and so I didn't really have to figure out much, at least for the wooden core. Most of the figuring out stuff came near the end, with the washi wrapping.

I'd like to do a deep dive into the washi composite material, showing how I make it. I'm pretty sure it's never been done before, the way I do it, and the results are pretty damn cool.

There is a TON to explore with the washi composite. I could imbed the washi with powdered/grainy clays, dried organic bits..hairs..fibers... pressed flowers or leaves... There are endless varieties of washi to try, some made from hemp! And I bet you could even substitute washi with silk, or even kevlar and epoxy if I wanted to make a Toad for..like... an arctic expedition, haha.

fangorn

Hi everyone, and especially Dan Morrison!

bravo for this batch of toad ... it's really an incredible job ... you just have to see the feedback from all the users of this forum ... I had the buried hope that enough people in the top 15 give up ... without any meanness on my part ... I don't think anyone in the top 15 is disappointed! the rarity of your works of art and their quality make them so desirable. (I hope this lot will allow the happy 15 to give us feedback on your heating!)

I think about the way the TP80s go on sale ... ultimately, most buyers are just happy to get one ... even if it is their tenth choice ...

your method has succeeded in satisfying everyone I think ... even if they only have their 5th choice! on 15 copies, it's still well done !!!
in the field of vaping, I personally find that there is little frustration ... apart from 4 or 5 models, one click is enough to receive the object of his desire in the following 10 days ... since 'we are talking about addiction for many of us (without wanting to offend anyone), I have the impression that the compulsive purchase of equipment is akin to caffeine, even nicotine ... your masterpieces do not really respond to this type of consumption ... or we would be on opium more than on caffeine (my apologies for this particular comparison!)

And then everyone seems to trust you completely ... and rightly so!

in short, your method of choice and your questioning of the effectiveness of it in relation to our desires shows your great interest in trying to satisfy as much as possible ... and in my humble opinion, it is exceptional. Your questioning touches me sincerely.

I have an idea that does not fully answer the question you are submitting to us ...
you would go back to a semi-customization, and I don't think it's in your interest ...
why not ask the next lucky ones to give you an idea of color (light, dark, gradient), an idea of color and an idea of theme or symbol ... for the rest, you just have to trust yourself on the realization . I am convinced that it would satisfy everyone. Considering the admiration we have for you and your work, there would even be added value if you created something "for us" ... I imagine ...

but that will add a step obviously ... and I'm not sure that's what you were looking for ...

In any case, I didn't think there would be any new batches of toads but your questioning seems to indicate the opposite so I'm delighted! As a French frog, I reiterate my great interest in this toad which impresses us, makes us dream just by looking at the photos ... and positively feeds our frustration !!!

Sorry for this very long text ... hoping that the translator has not transformed my words too much!

good dreams to all and good vaping to all !!!!

namasteIII

Who got 15?

I have an idea that does not fully answer the question you are submitting to us ...
you would go back to a semi-customization, and I don't think it's in your interest ...
why not ask the next lucky ones to give you an idea of color (light, dark, gradient), an idea of color and an idea of theme or symbol ... for the rest, you just have to trust yourself on the realization . I am convinced that it would satisfy everyone. Considering the admiration we have for you and your work, there would even be added value if you created something "for us" ... I imagine ...

but that will add a step obviously ... and I'm not sure that's what you were looking for ...

To this point I think Toad should remain no customization and leave that for the Nomad, and leave the Toad to Dan's inspirations. Also with the current voting system Dan has the votes of the previous batch to inform the next one, so that is semi customization.
I'd like to do a deep dive into the washi composite material, showing how I make it. I'm pretty sure it's never been done before, the way I do it, and the results are pretty damn cool.

There is a TON to explore with the washi composite. I could imbed the washi with powdered/grainy clays, dried organic bits..hairs..fibers... pressed flowers or leaves... There are endless varieties of washi to try, some made from hemp! And I bet you could even substitute washi with silk, or even kevlar and epoxy if I wanted to make a Toad for..like... an arctic expedition, haha.

I think you would find mighty support around here for that idea. I think some minimally edited videos would be awesome to look at and learn from. And hopefully 1 camera on a tripod, what your working on in front of you, and some ideas in your head. Should make it so it's not a whole production or thing you have to put lots of time into.

Or not, I don't really plan on playing with Washi but every time you talk about it I find it really interesting.

Excited for y'all new folk. I don't think I saw any current Nomad owners of those who announced themselves. I'll just say, it's not only pretty, it's a top tier vape from all other standpoints.

DogZilla

Oh wow, these are all gorgeous! I bet they look even better in person. Dan your designs are always amazing, I love your creativity.
I'd like to cast a line out for a Toad and express my formal interest for any future batch!

Who got 15?

To this point I think Toad should remain no customization and leave that for the Nomad, and leave the Toad to Dan's inspirations. Also with the current voting system Dan has the votes of the previous batch to inform the next one, so that is semi customization.

I think you would find mighty support around here for that idea. I think some minimally edited videos would be awesome to look at and learn from. And hopefully 1 camera on a tripod, what your working on in front of you, and some ideas in your head. Should make it so it's not a whole production or thing you have to put lots of time into.

Or not, I don't really plan on playing with Washi but every time you talk about it I find it really interesting.

Excited for y'all new folk. I don't think I saw any current Nomad owners of those who announced themselves. I'll just say, it's not only pretty, it's a top tier vape from all other standpoints.
couldn't have said it any better myself, the majority appeal here IMO is having a one of a kind piece straight from an artists creative place

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I disagree, but easy for me to say that as I lucked into one of these...

I think the special units are in part because, it is his creative process and judging from his past work, I think Dan would be bored just producing a bunch of stock units one after another.

Customization kinda implies something different with these, as there is literally no customization from the customer- no customer input impeding his process or slowing him down.

The only real choice was which vape and what color pouch.

I disagree, but easy for me to say that as I lucked into one of these...

I think the special units are in part because, it is his creative process and judging from his past work, I think Dan would be bored just producing a bunch of stock units one after another.

Customization kinda implies something different with these, as there is literally no customization from the customer- no customer input impeding his process or slowing him down.

The only real choice was which vape and what color pouch.
would you mind giving an example of what customization would look like for you in this case? intersted in your perspective

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
It ended up being exactly what I wanted, and more. If I had to say what I thought saved me the most time, it would probably be the fact that I spent a year or so optimizing the design, before going into production. And without the knowledge gained from the Nomads, this design would have never been possible... so the entire thing is piggybacking on everything I've done beforehand.

Many of the jigs and processes are exactly the same as the Nomads, and so I didn't really have to figure out much, at least for the wooden core. Most of the figuring out stuff came near the end, with the washi wrapping.

I know I'd go wild for some pressed flowers worked into the design, your buttons are already breathtaking so it'll be interesting to see where you take this project. This first batch really turned out incredible, I like the diversity of designs you went for quite a bit.

Last edited:

BakedDiogenes

on my Mac, the pics look better on FC than on Imgur. All are stunning... I changed my list last night.

I keep coming back to #14

I won't lie... that one stole my attention!

I ended up with my first choice also, the big ole red shroom!
006-front-jpg.13738

The mushroom is Amanita Muscaria or Fly Agaric. A fairly well-known hallucinogen, though I believe it requires an MAOI to work properly and doesn’t contain Psilocybin.

Definitely would have been my top choice. Congrats!

Top Bottom