The Toad from Morwood

namasteIII

I disagree, but easy for me to say that as I lucked into one of these...

I think the special units are in part because, it is his creative process and judging from his past work, I think Dan would be bored just producing a bunch of stock units one after another.

Customization kinda implies something different with these, as there is literally no customization from the customer- no customer input impeding his process or slowing him down.

The only real choice was which vape and what color pouch.
I meant customization as Dan and the buyer going back and forth about design elements. Like the Nomad process. Think we are on the same page.

attackpoints

couldn't have said it any better myself, the majority appeal here IMO is having a one of a kind piece straight from an artists creative place
I'm of this mind. Generally I enjoy Dan's aesthetic and I'm excited to see what he comes up! It adds to the hype.

The mushroom is Amanita Muscaria or Fly Agaric. A fairly well-known hallucinogen, though I believe it requires an MAOI to work properly and doesn’t contain Psilocybin.

Definitely would have been my top choice. Congrats!
So many mushroom hunters in this thread. One of my favorite hobbies. The toads with the natural paintings were also among my favorites.

Now I can't wait for everyone to receive their Toad so we can hear about its performance. 🐸🍃

letsnotbespecific

011-front-jpg.13748

Although 14 was my top pick, I am obsessed with this beauty that I am going to get.

It does feel like we were meant to be like some higher power in works :peace:

@Dan Morrison Curious to know which ones among the first batch got left out? and what are you going to do with the ones that didn't get picked ?

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I'd be interested to know what the process felt like from your perspective... did it feel like a good method?

6 people got their first choice, 3 people their 2nd, 1 person their 3rd, 1 person their 4th. 2 people unfortunately didn't get any of their top 5.

So, on one hand most people got their top pick... but on the other hand, I wish everyone could just get that number one pick! The non-custom crafting process just doesn't allow for that I guess.

I did like how everyone had time to make their picks, and it wasn't a feeding frenzy where you had to pick as fast as possible or risk missing out.

The cool thing about this method is that I can see which Toads are most popular, and that will help me for future batches. I can balance what I want to make, with what is popular. I like that sort of collaboration.

Personally I really liked this process, but then again, I am saying this from the perspective of somebody lucky enough to get in this first release, basically by pure chance.

If you were to keep doing batches of 15 or so moving forward, I think this would be a good process to keep. I've mentioned this to you in email, but I'm not sure I see this process being realistic/possible on a large scale

I'm not a fan of the "feeding frenzy" type drops at all, especially when each unit is so unique and different. That's a better method when each unit is the same, you either get one or you dont. But when you have little works of art, each hand crafted and designed by the artist with no input from the buyer, a little more time to pick and choose is great. I also like the way we had 5 picks, there was a preference order, idk, the whole thing just felt very smooth and well planned out to me.

Plus as you said, you're getting great feedback on what seems to be "crowd favorites" by doing it this way. Which is great to kind of figure out future toads too!

Last edited:
Personally I really liked this process, but then again, I am saying this from the perspective of somebody lucky enough to get in this first release, basically by pure chance.

If you were to keep doing batches of 15 or so moving forward, I think this would be a good process to keep. I've mentioned this to you in email, but I'm not sure I see this process being realistic/possible on a large scale

I'm not a fan of the "feeding frenzy" type drops at all, especially when each unit is so unique and different. That's a better method when each unit is the same, you either get one or you dont. But when you have little works of art, each hand crafted and designed by the artist with no input from the buyer, a little more time to pick and choose is great. I also like the way we had 5 picks, there was a preference order, idk, the whole thing just felt very smooth and well planned out to me.

Plus as you said, you're getting great feedback on what seems to be "crowd favorites" by doing it this way. Which is great to kind of figure out future toads too!
well said! think it is honestly the perfect batch size as well and not a fan of the feeding frenzy drops either, i am never quick enough lmao can't tell you how long i have wanted a Firewood.

I have enjoyed this process from the outside and haven't seen any negative points on it yet

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
well said! think it is honestly the perfect batch size as well and not a fan of the feeding frenzy drops either, i am never quick enough lmao can't tell you how long i have wanted a Firewood.

I have enjoyed this process from the outside and haven't seen any negative points on it yet

I think ultimately the way to do the toads would be this same process, keep a running waiting list like the Nomads, especially considering it's kind of a "side project" for Dan, or at least as I understand it to be. I agree I think 15 is the perfect size for this - Dan does the designs/art however he wants at the time, keeping in mind its a fun side thing for him, I think he should be working off of whatever is inspiring him at the time.

The only downside to this long term would just be an ever growing waitlist and it could eventually turn out to be a really long wait, but it seems to be working out for the Nomads, so why not?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Dan Morrison Curious to know which ones among the first batch got left out? and what are you going to do with the ones that didn't get picked ?

Oh they are still going to customers, it just means two people are getting a toad that wasn't on their list, because they themselves were near the bottom of the list and had chosen the most popular units for their top five so they were already taken...

Yeah I like how this makes everything easier for Dan and still nice for the customer, using this thread, is easier than maintaining a separate wait list, that is such a task, and making them himself on his own to his own style, then sharing them with the top five picking system, well that is more generous than most manufacturers would ever be! I think this is a very fine balance of customized choice and artist creation!

letsnotbespecific

I am one of them two :chill:
I do love this ordering proces though.
What number did you get?
Oh they are still going to customers, it just means two people are getting a toad that wasn't on their list, because they themselves were near the bottom of the list and had chosen the most popular units for their top five so they were already taken...
I guess @namasteIII skipped this batch

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@Dan Morrison you asked about the ordering process. I'm probably biased because I was in that first block of 15, but I think this a great way to do this. I share @BrianTL's thoughts about drop-based purchasing--its really a shame when you can't even look at something that is not only a functional object but also a work of art. Having the ability to pick a few choices makes this so much more enjoyable.

I think drops can work for something like the Firewood 7 where there isn't much variety between units (personally I'd still rather just put my name on a list than show at a prescribed time and hope the network connection between all the computers involved in a digital purchase is up to snuff and that my bank doesn't flag the purchase as possibly fraudulent), but its a real shame for something like a Tetra P80. I get that long wait lists can feel unapproachable, though. I'm on the nomad list and I gather it will be a couple of years, but for a Vape like that I guess for me its easy to accept that part of it is the handmade work of art quality. There are plenty of suitable "off the shelf" vapes that will just work from a functional pov so I figure enjoy one of those and it will just be a pleasant surprise whenever my name comes up on the wait list!

fangorn

We talked about it some pages ago, but I felt bad owning a Nomad and also getting a Toad before so many want but have no Dan Morrison devices.

I feel bad for skipping tho.

hello @namasteIII !

I feel a little bad because I think that one of my messages partly motivated your choice ...
so sorry for that, sincerely.

on the other hand, you made one more happy (hoping that the lucky fifteenth doesn't actually have any other device (s) from Dan .....)
and on the one hand it makes me happy ... because even if (in my humble opinion) humanity as a whole is in danger ... you show us that there is a part of generosity and humanity that resist!

(sounds a bit pretentious philosopher I guess ... I hope I don't sound too moralistic or judgmental ... that's not my intention ...)

so thank you very much, and again sorry ... hoping you get one relatively quickly.

good vape !!

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I just want to say I absolutely love how courteous this forum is, and specifically in this case of all you in here. There’s just a different vibe with the Morwood threads. I’m pretty stoked to know I’ll be sharing these devices with such rad people. Bless up the FC massive.

I just want to say I absolutely love how courteous this forum is, and specifically in this case of all you in here. There’s just a different vibe with the Morwood threads. I’m pretty stoked to know I’ll be sharing these devices with such rad people. Bless up the FC massive.
agreed! a true enthusiasts space with a common interest shared!

Top Bottom