Discontinued The Timber Elite by Vapwood

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good morning FC!
Happy to report, all testing on newly wired up Timbers has gone really well. Another reason for the coolness of Timber is the length of the 14 gauge wire feeding the coil. In Timber I have room to snake the wires under the board without much fuss. While the coil connector pads are at the top of the board (fire button end), and just under the coil, they are looped down below the connectors and bent 180 degrees back up. This wiring takes place out of the way and *below board*. The coil is formed with 18 gauge wire that needs to be converted to 14 gauge via butt splices. These butt splice connections, or actual soldering to the board, can be the last connection before dropping the cover plate in for final installation. Those are the kind of *upgrades* I am implementing now, more about internal wiring and the assembly process. The funny thing about building new products, it teaches you new things about the products you already build. Many of these build adjustments will find there way into LB.

The challenge with the LB Elite was width. How could we get a battery, coil, and DNA board to fit side by side by side? The board needs to be at one end, the battery the other, that left the center for the coil. We did a pretty ingenious job of making this happen by placing all wire connections under the coil (wire box).

Notice in the Timber there is no wire box. The floor between the battery and board compartments is partially opened for clearance and accessibility, and this serves as the wire compartment. A second, finished floor, is added after final assembly, on the battery side.

The Timber coil box is what's really unique about Timber. In addition to allowing a longer feed to the coil (keeps the board about 10 to 15 degrees cooler), the coil box is a full 50 x 50 mm square of pure wood. Instead of trying to minimize everything, we have room to surround the instaHeat coil in an all wood housing with some mass. There is literally nothing in this half of the unit but wood and stainless steel. The compartment is vented with four 1/8" dia x 3/4" deep holes. The depth of the holes creates a hair of resistance, but there's 4 of them. The compartment is lined with stainless steel foil right up to the vents, and filled with a 4.8" x 1/2" spiral mesh coil mounted to a 7/8" x 1/8" wood disc. The bottom sections houses all the electronics. I consider the top section of the Timber the oven, the bottom section the electronics (DNA board and battery). The top section may get warm, but the bottom section remains room temp. The grain on the top section runs side to side, so as to conduct heat to the sides and out, vs down, but I feel the main reason for the perceived low heat build up is just the sheer mass of the wood dispersing it. It would take a lot of heat to heat soak the Timber oven.

The current instaHeat coil + Elite combo is producing some great results, whether in be in LB or Timber form. The below coupon code combined with a September shipping date makes a Labor Day purchase a good idea.

LABOR DAY SALE
coupon code: NOWORK saves 15% on all Elites / Lil' Bud & Timber

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Finally made it to the local lumber yard and I was looking for walnut. The owner, also also a woodworker, was building a walnut cabinet, and he's cut offs were some fine, very swirly, shorter pieces, all squared up. I couldn't have had better timing.

What you're looking at here is a 20 second video showcasing some swirly walnut, and the classic cherry it'll be paired with. I am going to build Timbers with both walnut tops and cherry bottoms as well as walnut bottoms with cherry tops. I've also set some aside for future LB's. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. The way this hand selected hardwood is already finished and perfectly square is a huge work / time saver. I made sure I snuck away a couple of 2 x 2 square boards for future Square Hi work. This walnut will go a long way - Timbers Elites, LB Elites, Classics, Square Hi's, making lots of people very happy.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Labor Day - an awesome American tradition. I will still be working a bit, in the city today, and in my shop tomorrow and Monday. I am taking a bit of a deep breath though. I am very happy with the state of Vapwood products right now, and after building about 125 Classics, 65 LB Elites, and 10 Timbers - that's 200 units, I've feel very confident in my process, and product, after 2 years of perfecting it.
20190828-163117.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I managed to get a drop of shop time. I'd forgotten to join the walnut and cherry I need for my Black n Tans. I can now let the glue dry up overnight. With the Timber design it's easy to keep glue away from the heat air path. I updated the website a bit to reflect this influx of walnut. I'm now offering the Timber Elite as Cherry (bottom) / Walnut (top), Cherry / Cherry, Walnut / Cherry, Walnut / Walnut, as well as striped Black n Tan (bottom only). My LB (Elites and Classics) are all pre-assembled in Walnut, Cherry, and Maple. Timber is more modular, easier for me to mix and match, while I stock a couple of different options.

I managed to not disassemble the two Timber tallboys with single vent holes. For now they are still $200, plus shipping bare bones. This pair of vapes has no flaws, just a half inch taller. There's another six Timbers final assembled, a few sold, a few that have been put through the paces by me. I will begin to assemble the LB's for this order as well, and I'm on schedule for mid month shipping. My routine has been, cut off end of month, ship mid next month. I haven't cut off the September just yet. Buy now, ships mid September.

Been really hitting my full cherry Timber with the open quilty grain. It definitely gets a bit warmer than the previous walnut tops. I know wood will conduct heat along the grain much more than across the grain, and I bet this crazy quiltyness has something to do with it. It's only at the sides where the walls are relatively thin that you can feel warmth. Some of you might actually like this level of heat, board temp still only 115 degrees, and the lower 2/3 of the unit is literally cool.

Next up is mortising then coiling. Two processes I've done many, many times, but somehow look forward to it each time. Ten new coils should suffice for now. Rolling coils is truly an art, getting the mesh to curve uniformally along its entire length is something that is coaxed into the mesh, rather than forced.

Last edited:

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Just had another lovely session through water with the Timber. A mix of CA 1:1 and OR Orange Cookies. I’m still blown away by the immediate response time of the heater and the feel of the device in the hand is so pleasurable. You can feel the care that went into making it, totally unlike the mass produced vapes (even really good ones!). It really elevates the total experience to hold one handcrafted complete unit versus a cold metal or dull plastic box mod and 510 attachment.

funkyhomer

Just had another lovely session through water with the Timber. A mix of CA 1:1 and OR Orange Cookies. I’m still blown away by the immediate response time of the heater and the feel of the device in the hand is so pleasurable. You can feel the care that went into making it, totally unlike the mass produced vapes (even really good ones!). It really elevates the total experience to hold one handcrafted complete unit versus a cold metal or dull plastic box mod and 510 attachment.

Love reading this! So excited to try mine!

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
My LB Elite sized cherry connection dried up. That was perfectly square 12 x 4 x 2 inch turning blanks. While I have quite a few Cherry LBE's in pre-assembly, I like to stay fat with wood. This means another trip to the lumber yard. I'll have wood for six months!

I did stock up on a few basic supplies, wood discs, screen cradles, 14 and 18 gauge wire. I love having stuff to build with, with absolute no obstacles to the final product. It's like a kid with his toys. Makes me content. Ahhh...

Glad to see the Labor Day sale is being utilized - 15% and mid September delivery is a good deal.

Today will be a very relaxed *wood day*. By the end of the day I'll have a dozen Timbers blanks ready to join the ranks of the Elite pre-assemblies of which there are still over two dozen in Walnut, Cherry, Maple, and Waple.

Enjoy your day off America!

Bravesst,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I put in a couple of hours this morning, and got this to show for it. You're looking at a dozen future Timbers with mortises for board and battery already routed, that's 24 mortises that still need to be finished by hand.

Black n Tan (2 versions), Walnut, and Cherry
20190901-121341.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
So... why am I so hyped about Timber?

1. Isolated Coil Housing: This gives the coil some room to spread its wings. Our high mass heater doesn't need to get too hot to generate enough heat energy to turn flower into vapor, but it benefits from a thick blanket of wood to soak up and store that high volume low heat. I believe this helps keeps temps even, not spikey. I watch this process on the Escribe software, in addition to the actual experience of inhaling smoother vapor.

2. Battery and Board Are Back to Back: This eliminates the need for an additional compartment to wire the unit. I can double dip with the space between the two compartments.

3. Modular Build: I can install the coil into the coil housing, set aside, and pair with any lower section

4. Feels Good In the Hand: The 50 mm width and 30 mm thickness are a luxury to hold, feels very nice in the hand, and lends itself to a multitude of hand positions for operation. I love spinning it in my hand.

5. Electronics Stay Cool: The board and battery are spared any conducted heat, allowing them to operate unencumbered by any overheating. All the heat is where is should be.

6. Build Details: Improvements on battery door, cover plate, pairing the top and bottom sections were all necessary to complete Timber, and have resulted in an improved appearance as well.

7. Performance: A higher level of performance (extraction), with smoother vapor, is achieved through some structural changes but also improvements to the electronics that the new form allows, and in some cases, demands, IE: pure soldered connections from coil to board. This will be passed onto all Elites.

8. Vent Holes: Snaking the vents through 3/4" of hardwood has created just the right amount of resistance and open draw to give even more control of your session.

9. Straightforward Build: All of the above combine into making Timber a simple, practical design. So who cares about simplicity? The concept of simplicity might be a misnomer here, because if the same skill level, work ethic, is applied to a more simple task, the end results may wind up better. I believe that's what Einstein meant when he said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

10. Price: The above 9 points culminate into a quicker build process, which means a better price, making more people happy. Combine that with the coupon codes to help launch this bad boy here on FC, and I believe you've got quite a deal. coupon code: NOWORK save 15%

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Not sure why anyone buy a LB elite anymore , other then different sizes , the Timber sounds like the better vape at better price. Why pay more for Elite if performance of Timber is cooler, better battery life, better vent holes , etc etc .

Point 9 , it might be what Einstein meant , glad the Timber is more straightforward to build then point 9 was to read. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
People like different stuff, no doubt. All of you purchased LB Classics when the LB Elite didn't exist, then the LB Elite when the Timber was just an idea. Now Timber rushes to the forefront, once again an improvement on previous vapes, only this time, also cheaper.

I have 30 pre-assembled LB Elites, which are more expensive and already built, yet I recommend the Timber to any new user. For you seasoned Vapwood vets, the choice is yours. You've accumulated enough knowledge about my products and vaping in general, to make you own informed decision.

Got a pretty good day in the shop today. Everything cut to size, mortises hand finished (takes 3 hours minimum to square up 24 mortises). Top and bottom sections paired up. That's some really nice walnut, just wait until some beeswax hits it.

4 Black n Tan (Black n Tans will run random; 2 cherry or 2 walnut stripes, but always walnut oven)
1 Cherry / Cherry (my DD is Cherry / Cherry)
1 Cherry / Walnut (have a few of these already built)
3 Walnut / Walnut
2 Walnut / Cherry
---------------------
Total 11 - don't asked what happened to blank #12 (bottom). Okay, he was mismortised.

This build is locked down tight. I can recite every spec off the top of my head. Timber has shrunk in size, but is now growing in numbers.
20190902-160115.jpg

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
The flask like feel of the LB Elite is unarguably class. I’m glad to read that “size matters” and interest in both LB and Timber will persist. The Lil’Bud Elite as that extra “harder/trickier “ to build value too considering these are hand crafted vapes.

Thank you for the 3,000th “ like @Megaton . That’s mega cool of you !

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
There is more than one way to skin a cat, or build an Elite. Both LB and Timber have their place in the vape world. LB Elite is out there and has proven itself, but as @P.A.M. reminded us, why should you take my word for Timber's performance enhancements? My job now is to give Timber a chance to be seen. Labor Day sale is over, but I listed Timber on sale, starting at $259, with no price increase for Black n' Tan (normally $20).

An interesting time in the build process. I'm about to build coils and install, BEFORE pre-assembly. The little 50 x 50 mm block gets bored out with 10 holes. For the bowl and coil, two from each direction, but with the same center point. From the top is the 5/8 through hole that sets it all up. Next, the taper is cut with a special reamer bit that matches our 19/22 fitting. Then it's on to the bottom, where I bore out a 13/16" hole for the actual coil housing, with a short 7/8 counterbore at the edge for the 7/8 x 1/8 inch disc. Lastly 4 vent holes are drilled out. Wires are converted from 18 gauge (coil) to 14 gauge (board) right at the underside of the disc. This set up allows the coil to be dropped right in, be anchored down, and ready for assembly in just about any bottom section (last two holes are pilot holes for attaching to bottom section)

For today, it's off to work in Manhattan, but back at it the entire rest of the week.

Bravesst,
Reactions: DirtyD

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Sometimes I think I accomplish more sitting on the train and thinking than I do a full day of work. That's because I think of something that will save me time and effort, and in a long run, many hours. Today, I was thinking about battery terminals, and how to fix them to the board. I think I came up with a winner idea, separating the screw that connects the wires from the job of fastening the terminal to the unit. Minor change as far as the customer is concerned, but something that will improve the fussy process of doing both simultaneously.

Another nice change are both plates, squarer, sleeker. The squaring off the the cover plate turned out to be a smart idea. The back plate now butts the top section and about 4 mm's thick (3/16). The more I can do to streamline the process the better it is for everybody.

Tomorrow, I'll be in the shop but I'm having siding and windows put in my house over the next two weeks. I should still get plenty of shop time, even with distractions. I plan on getting some Timbers pre assembled, but that'll mean some coil forming once again. I've grown to love my coils. I'll do my best to bang out 15 or 20 over the next few days. That should be plenty for the entire September batch. Let's not forget, this entire process is based on that coil.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Good evening Elitists!

Another very nice day here in Vapwood. Not only did I make some major *hole* progress, I got a head start on coils. Gonna build my coils in three batches of six, to help break up the repetitive nature of tinning wires, attaching butt splices, forming and mounting the actual coil. What was once quite a challenge, is now one of my most relaxed jobs.

Signing off quickly, as the long day in the shop has left me quite hungry, and the wife is calling for dinner...

Enjoy your night!!!

sickstreak

I know I sound like a broken record but I’m so consistently impressed with how cool and smooth the vapor is from the Timber. This is one of the smoothest vapes I’ve tried, possibly the smoothest. Really a home run.

No, please tell us more lol. What settings are you using? Do you prefer it through water or is it just that smooth that it doesn't need it?

sickstreak,
Reactions: P.A.M.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
No, please tell us more lol. What settings are you using? Do you prefer it through water or is it just that smooth that it doesn't need it?

I prefer it through water because I prefer all vaping through water. I use TC mode starting at 380 and temp stepping up in 5 degree increments to 395 every few hits. But even without water the vapor is still very cool compared to most convection vapes.

Top Bottom