The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

kokolokokolokon

@Shorner Do they stay in halfbowl? Maybe that 0,25mm is what they need to stay firmly in halfbowl.
I find normal screens can stay very clean with herb. But they degrade faster with hash

@leanpubpackage i suppose you are talking about normal screens. Im searching solid screens for hash

plus I’m sure someone will make a half bowl insert like Sneaky Pete does for Dyna’s.
the tempest bowl already has a half-bowl setting. Sneaky did the inserts because the old dyna doesn’t have it

kokolokokolokon,

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
tempest bowl already has a half-bowl setting. Sneaky did the inserts because the old dyna doesn’t have it

It’s not about placing the screen my dude, it’s about retention and security. With a converter in I can just hamfist it around on a debowler spike with zero concern of changing the screen location. Seems like those who are complaining about their screen moving around might appreciate a similar solution.

Smknbud

Hi, I have been pondering asking for a while and I hope this is ok to ask some likely dumb questions. I have never used a TED-type vape but a long time ago I used to smoke weed via a pipe for circa 7 or 8 years, and I think I like the idea of this type of device. Currently I've used Crafty+'s (x2) for 2.5 years but they are getting old battery-wise and I really like the idea of the Tempest, I would like to support a UK designer making some interesting kit, and I need a new vape. But...

1. I have dogs. Am I asking for trouble with one of these? I imagine buying a wand to use with it but have this abject fear of burning them with the vape.
2. Can you 'sync' (manually) a wand and Tempest so the heating stops at the right time? I can be absent minded and can see fire.
3. Would you buy one if you didn't have a table convenient to stick it on when done?
4. How long to they stay really hot for?
Thanks in advance for any tips for an utterly no idea where to start person.
-1) I don't think you have to worry about that unless they get high with you. :D
-2) The Wand has a time out mode so no worries there.
-3) You can stick it in a leather carrying sleeve after use if you want I guess, but something like the Reload and some solid surface sure is convenient.
-4) The thermal matrix stays hot for a few minutes at least

Singularity Walker

Well, that happened. Tapped the cap on the table to get some crumbs that fell into the cap out, the ball screen popped out. To be clear this was the screw in screen. Balls everywhere. Recovered 83 balls (counted multiple times).

I think I'm going to order some more just in case of future mishaps. ZrO2 2.5mm, correct?

PossumMD

It’s not about placing the screen my dude, it’s about retention and security. With a converter in I can just hamfist it around on a debowler spike with zero concern of changing the screen location. Seems like those who are complaining about their screen moving around might appreciate a similar solution.
Hang on. I don't have a tempest yet, but I watch this thread pretty closely and don't remember hearing if a converter. I ask as I like to have many smaller doses rather than one big one. Would love an easy solution...

PossumMD,

RedZep

My commentary about it many pages ago was because it has too much flex and can get pushed out of position so by the time I take it apart to clean it is pushed down further. I thought it was due to packing too tight but it still happens with a relatively loose pack.

I'm not sure what, if any, effect there is for the screen to be pushed all the way down but I think it keeps the convection from reaching the bottom edges of the bowl well based on the narrow tube after it with a sharp taper.

The screen has stayed extremely clean though, which stands out every time I empty it.
Fair enough. I've never touched it, or moved it. I will take yours and Brenyo's word for it.

I really like how long it stays unblocked however.

Timps27

Hang on. I don't have a tempest yet, but I watch this thread pretty closely and don't remember hearing if a converter. I ask as I like to have many smaller doses rather than one big one. Would love an easy solution...

The half bowl converter is sold for the Dyna; I have one in most of mine for security purposes. I’m hoping someone will make a similar item for Tempest eventually.

@Brenyo

Thanks to all who helped me out yesterday!

I was able to call USPS about my wonky tracking and unfortunately is being sent back to MadHeaters….they can’t do anything to reverse, only investigate as to why this may have occurred.

Looking at glass half full, I may not have Tempest, but I do have flower and Dyna.

Also: I did msg MadHeaters on their contact form for extra visibility

leanpubpackage

The half bowl converter is sold for the Dyna; I have one in most of mine for security purposes. I’m hoping someone will make a similar item for Tempest eventually.

I’m not sure this is needed for the tempest. There’s a nice ledge at the half bowl mark for the screen to sit on and it doesn’t slide out because it’s friction fit

leanpubpackage,
Reactions: VapingYogi

Timps27

I’m not sure this is needed for the tempest. There’s a nice ledge at the half bowl mark for the screen to sit on and it doesn’t slide out because it’s friction fit

I’m not sure how clearly I can say this.

The converter adds solid physical retention to the equation for greater security. It is not needed for Dyna’s, it is not needed for Tempest.

As someone who uses the converter on my Dyna’s I am personally attesting to the improved security it affords me; particularly when debowling on a hard spike.

IF people are less than satisfied with the security of the bowl screen (either beta version or launch), this is an option that could assist if someone decides to make one.

If you think it’s stupid, don’t use one.

leanpubpackage

The converter adds solid physical retention to the equation for greater security. It is not needed for Dyna’s, it is not needed for Tempest.

As someone who uses the converter on my Dyna’s I am personally attesting to the improved security it affords me; particularly when debowling on a hard spike.

IF people are less than satisfied with the security of the bowl screen (either beta version or launch), this is an option that could assist if someone decides to make one.

I didn’t call it stupid, and I won’t use one :)

leanpubpackage,

Beansuppa

I'm with you on this one. It didn't take much for my debowling spike on my reload to knock the screen out of the half bowl setting. A converter would be nice just to have. Especially once thse brand new screens become dented and bowl shaped over time, they aren't going to sit as nicely in there.

Now, who knows how much better it'll be with the improved screens on the retail unit, only time will tell.

One thing I'm curious about is why the bowls don't have the same nice, solid CCD-style screen that the cap has to hold the balls in place. Would that not have been a good solution for the bowl as well? I'm wondering why the choice was made to use a regular screen instead.

Peacefrog78

One thing I'm curious about is why the bowls don't have the same nice, solid CCD-style screen that the cap has to hold the balls in place. Would that not have been a good solution for the bowl as well? I'm wondering why the choice was made to use a regular screen instead.
I think it was mentioned the maker didnt like those ccd style for some reason. Airflow restriction maybe?

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Now, who knows how much better it'll be with the improved screens on the retail unit, only time will tell.
It will be a lot better and stay firmly in place.

Those types of screens let gunk through. Proper size mesh screens won't, they're cheaper and the airflow is better.

Well, that happened. Tapped the cap on the table to get some crumbs that fell into the cap out, the ball screen popped out. To be clear this was the screw in screen. Balls everywhere. Recovered 83 balls (counted multiple times).

I think I'm going to order some more just in case of future mishaps. ZrO2 2.5mm, correct?
Yours was probably overtightened as well (by me) and it loosened over time because of that. Sorry!
Please flatten the screen and only screw it finger tight, just until it's touching the balls.

kokolokokolokon

I use a modifyed tm screen. It is harder than the beta one. It stays in the halfbowl super firmly, Until we have the final ones i recommend to use that kind of screens.
Im sure the final ones will be like this
If i asked about the dani ones is because i prefer solid for hash, but for herb i prefer this modifyed tm cu screen

kokolokokolokon,

Misterhyde

I have only had the Tempest for about 48 hours, so more solid opinions will have to wait, but I am willing the share some of my initial thoughts.

This will be my very short section of complaints. The most annoying to me is that the heat shield moves from its o-ring very easily, such as when you remove the head. It also doesn’t stay hot quite as long as i expected, though it is a substantial amount of time. I have also noticed dark roast on top and light on bottom. Both latter problems seem to be slightly improved using a torch over the wand.

Now to the positive! So far, I freaking love this thing. It is amazingly attracted to magnets. I assume this is why it heats so well in the wand. Wand heating time isnt that much longer than a DV but heat retention is much better. I hadn't used a torch on it until earlier today when it was suggested by user Zasquach. Heat retention seems to be a lot better using a torch IMO. It also doesnt take long to heat with a torch and the VI is amazing! I left the MP in spinning mode and its super easy to torch plus the VI is on both sides to you are constantly seeing its progress. I am beyond impressed by the VI, i didnt even realize there were 2 spots to read temp.

The flavor seems great to me. I have kept the screen in what i think is half-bowl but it seems to hold a decent amount to me. It is for sure a very convection heavy device. I think i still like a little conduction sometimes and am not ready to throw out my DV's just yet, although i havent been using them during these 2 days. I don't get the immediate heavy cloud that i can get with a DV, however the flavor and continual heat is better.

I have used it on my DV vong body as a WPA and really enjoy that as well. I think is actually less hot with the Tempest head than with a vong tip. I also did a dab through it using Rayon and that was extremely pleasant.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Without working temps controls, it’s hard to use repeatedly in an uncontrolled environment, like sitting outside the front of the hospital on the cement where the temperatures around 29/30c and bright as hell so seeing blinking lights or even the indicator through the glass because of reflections was practically impossible.

Last edited:
VapingYogi,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm not really understanding all the dislike for the Wand. I'm not one to let aesthetics get in the way of function. The Wand is really good at what it does, it's rugged and I've never had problems with it. I find the batteries last quite a while and I'm glad it uses 2x18650s.

I bought it for dynavaps (for which it's great) but unexpectedly it's worked for the Dani, the Convector, the Stunner and soon I trust it'll work for the Tempest when I get one. It's surprised me at how versatile it is.

Honestly, for it's price and how well it functions, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the most owned induction heater by dry herb vapers. I also like the fact that it's designed in a way that you can put objects straight through the coil.

Sorry, I feel like I was part of what kicked off that sentiment... To clarify I would agree the function is important and it does seem to be working quite well for most!

Having never use a IH before the Wand I don't really understand peoples dislike for it, I only got it out of the box to use with the Tempest as it didn't add value over a torch for the Anvil or a Dynavap, but for the Tempest I am really liking it. The only thing for me is that I need a noise on timeout (or click discs in my Tempest) as I have walked away and come back to a cold device and had to start again (its not as bad as my ball vapes, I have come back to smoke a few times)

Honestly it always felt a little janky to me, using it as an IH for other vapes, since it was designed for bangers (I was tempted by that feature as well but ultimately not the style and way it is used, compared to my dabbing style) and a little clunky I guess? Simultaneously simple which I found appealing, though also complex, which really turned me off repeatedly (all the parts, what it comes with and what you might need extra to fit properly, standard swappable batteries is good but for some reason in this application it kind of annoyed me? Similar to the full one degree digital temp, normally something appreciated, but in this situation these are things that kept keeping me from grabbing one since they came out)

I'm also sorta confused why ergonomics is a concern with the wand. Every other worthwhile IH on the market is a square block, they're like the least ergonomic thing possible if you need to hold it over a water piece or something. At least the wand is shaped like a remote and it fits easily in all of my storage bags.

I love my Wand, I never once thought "this is awkward to operate" while using it. The tempest "future proofing" is icing on the cake. I would have been real sad if I had gotten the YLL2.0 instead haha.

Yeah not really ergonomics exactly, and that sense it does seem well designed for practical home in the hand use? Just something about the form factor I don't like though, whether it is aesthetics exactly, or something more as I was describing above... Yeah I guess I'm not so keen on having to hold it like that at all? Would be nice to just stick it in something, that itself is stationary even if you have to continue to hold the tempest while it heats... Vapman Station is my main comparison point as well, since I've never tried IH with my vapcap OG ever, and that one is so unique hands-free while heating up, would be cool to do that with one of these, more like passive heating (although that is risky if you get distracted I must admit!)

That said I like the wand and am glad I have it. I travel a lot and a wand travels much better than a torch and a can of butane.

Yeah it is very affordable, would make sense with the case and everything, easy to pack and grab, especially long-term as you describe...

Plus it’s a far better dab rig than I think most people realize. Probably wouldn’t surprise you that I like a big torch on quartz for dabs; but I’d put a wand dab above any other electric dab I’ve had.

Yeah exactly I just like using hot start torch too also pre-clean each time lol I still need to try my BAK banger for edabs... it's just so easy to be lazy and stick with what you know, maybe someday I will grab it and try the full experience, thanks!

I personally love the wand , im never using a torch again....the wand gives me a perfect roast everytime so why would I want the hassle of firing a torch at my Tempest and making lthe cap look burnt to shit 🤔

Yeah this sounds so much more like me, so I really should not discount it, or have to wait for something more dedicated that will be more expensive too... Maybe the next big sales, by then I should have a tempest too!

I have had a wand for ages and I think I had one of the earlier ones that came out., used it with a DV as my main way of vaping outside of a moderately priced electric unit. I like the functionality of it, but it is large for when I am out and about. It is not a bad unit by any means but I would love a IH that has a timeout feature I can set easily (like the wand) but is smaller and boxier, think the size of a pack of smokes in length. I am not saying for a minute that is possible. I don't know if it is... but that is my dream IH!

Wand works fine for me, but I'd upgrade for the smaller one if it worked like I said! I love the ritual of rolling a blunt or whatever but never liked using a torch on a vape, always felt weird and slightly embaressed to do it around others.. Probably just past experiences and that probably is just a me issue.

Yeah I only got the VM because it was with the Station, the Wand just didn't have the same fit and finish to me, so I'm more dedicated unit with timeout features and nice form etc would be really appealing...

You are so right about the stigma with the torch in general, so having that clean e experience makes sense, especially coming from battery powered herbal vapes etc...

After the initial launch of the Wand I thought I would like it for dabs, but I was more tempted when I got my olivewood WPA thermal accumulator, though it didn't feel right then again...

Tempest seems a bit more streamlined to work well with it though based on what you all are saying, so yeah okay I won't rule it out!!! Still will plan to start off with torch at least when time does come

Singularity Walker

Yours was probably overtightened as well (by me) and it loosened over time because of that. Sorry!
Please flatten the screen and only screw it finger tight, just until it's touching the balls.
It wasn't you, it was me. You sent me the screw-in ball screen separate. Thank you again. I will follow advise and not go so tight.

ahm123

i gets mines tomorrow :} any recommendations for the coolest (in temperature) possible way to hit this bad boy & get a full extraction? as far as settings on both the tempest & wand.. thanks in advance!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
i gets mines tomorrow :} any recommendations for the coolest (in temperature) possible way to hit this bad boy & get a full extraction? as far as settings on both the tempest & wand.. thanks in advance!
Helix Tube, Open Airport, Open the Airflow on the Tempests cap and start the Wand at 295c until timeout and go up from there (I find "full" extractions are at least 310c until timeout - from cool/cold)

ahm123

Helix Tube, Open Airport, Open the Airflow on the Tempests cap and start the Wand at 295c until timeout and go up from there (I find "full" extractions are at least 310c until timeout - from cool/cold)
very helpful, thank you

ahm123,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I use a modifyed tm screen. It is harder than the beta one. It stays in the halfbowl super firmly, Until we have the final ones i recommend to use that kind of screens.
Im sure the final ones will be like this
If i asked about the dani ones is because i prefer solid for hash, but for herb i prefer this modifyed tm cu screen
Did you find a fitting solid one? I just inverted a dosing capsule cap.

VapingYogi,
Top Bottom