The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I like the wooden sleeve, but no matter what I do the bowl sits slightly crooked which bothers me. I ended going back to the titanium stem and shield. :shrug:

ZC

I've been able to get a bit more consistancy since following advice here and pushing the adapter up in the wand. Now it is much harder to see the visual indicator, but it is still possilble.

I think I like the results I get with the torch more, but it also just takes so much energy to get this thing up to temp.

Mastering the draw speed and feathering the carb are both important here.

I do think this device would be much more user friendly with omnivap style air control. The way the omni allows you to fine tune exactly the ratio of cool air intake and then just leave it in place is unparalleled. If I could buy a replacement condensor that did the same thing for the tempest I would.

ZC,

delta hotel

I like the wooden sleeve, but no matter what I do the bowl sits slightly crooked which bothers me. I ended going back to the titanium stem and shield. :shrug:
Mine originally fit like this and it was driving my CRAZY, a brand new vape with a weird little crooked wobble. A few weeks later and whatever was causing it is gone, it sits flat and flush. I may have had a little burr in the lining.

AndyO

Get in touch with @Brenyo - you have the burr issue, he has video instructions for removing it. A bunch of them - including mine - came with the burr that stops the head sitting on it properly, which is a bummer, but it's super easy to fix.

ezpz

The way the omni allows you to fine tune exactly the ratio of cool air intake and then just leave it in place is unparalleled.
Maybe not Omni like perfection….. but doable.
This is how I use my Tempest. Air intake open, but slightly to one side. Leave air intake open for the first 2 long slowish DTL pulls, and feather the clean-up hit.

Musikchen

Omni allows you to fine tune exactly the ratio of cool air intake and then just leave it in place is unparalleled. If I could buy a replacement condensor that did the same thing for the tempest I would.
You might like the revolve cooling unit. It has a additional slot beside the bigger round hole to finetune the air intake.
I bet you can find one to trade easily.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Mine originally fit like this and it was driving my CRAZY, a brand new vape with a weird little crooked wobble. A few weeks later and whatever was causing it is gone, it sits flat and flush. I may have had a little burr in the lining.

Get in touch with @Brenyo - you have the burr issue, he has video instructions for removing it. A bunch of them - including mine - came with the burr that stops the head sitting on it properly, which is a bummer, but it's super easy to fix.
Thank you for the insight! I'll definitely look to find a burr and fix it. :tup:

Photonic,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Thank you for the insight! I'll definitely look to find a burr and fix it. :tup:

Please try to deburr it like I do in the video with a metal or ceramic tweezer, around the inner edge. That’s where it usually tears up the O-ring. Then grab a Q-tip with ISO and clean the inner threading as deeply as you can, pushing the cotton into the thread. Then clean it with the dry side of the Q-tip.

Link

Last edited:

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub
For me it is not crooked when I put it in, but it is so wobbly that every time after using Reload magnet to decap it, it wobbles out a bit :(
Doesn't happen for other tips that I put in... just the oposite, it holds them on really tight, and that for every dyna-tip I put in. Also damaged my helix tip upper o-ring a bit when I was trying it out. Trying the mentioned deburring but nothing changed (used metal tweezers) so I don't think it's that.
Kinda made my peace with it and returned to the metal stem, heh :D

.d,

delta hotel

Please try to deburr it like I do in the video with a metal or ceramic tweezer, around the inner edge. That’s where it usually tears up the O-ring. Then grab a Q-tip with ISO and clean the inner threading as deeply as you can, pushing the cotton into the thread. Then clean it with the dry side of the Q-tip.

Link
I can't seem to see a video following this link and I also initially had this issue. The head fits in the wooden stem fine now, but I definitely can tell that it looks like it's going to tear up the o-ring with repeated removals. Is there somewhere else I can find this video?

Also @Brenyo I see I can buy just the head now and I've been considering another one but I know there isn't more Tempest stock expected for awhile. Are the heads something that will be purchasable whenever or will they come and go out of stock? Trying to decide if I should wait or not!

delta hotel,

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub
change the 5x1mm o-ring to the larger 6x1 size that came with it and it will be much tighter
nice, works like a charm after I learned how to remove o-rings, thanks!

Could you also maybe share your thoughts on using the tempest head on a wooden sleeve with a revolve gen 1. Does it have any disadvantages you can think of, any reasons not to combine it?
Thinking of getting an additional head for different balls/config, everything seems to fit and function perfectly, I don't see the difference in performance.

I can't seem to see a video following this link and I also initially had this issue. The head fits in the wooden stem fine now, but I definitely can tell that it looks like it's going to tear up the o-ring with repeated removals. Is there somewhere else I can find this video?

Also @Brenyo I see I can buy just the head now and I've been considering another one but I know there isn't more Tempest stock expected for awhile. Are the heads something that will be purchasable whenever or will they come and go out of stock? Trying to decide if I should wait or not!
The video is some pages back, search for "deburr" in this thread and you'll see a couple posts from Brenyo, one of them has a picture and a video.

also, same consideration, contemplating since morning with the head and 14-10adapter in the checkout :D

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Sorry about that, some early orders got out with burr in the tip connection.
If the threads are damaging the o-rings then please try to deburr it like I do in the video with a metal or ceramic tweezer, around the inner edge marked in the picture. That’s where it usually tears up the O-ring. Then grab a Q-tip with ISO and clean the inner threading where you push the bowl O-rings in as deeply as you can, pushing the cotton into the thread. Then clean it with the dry side of the Q-tip.

The video is some pages back, search for "deburr" in this thread and you'll see a couple posts from Brenyo, one of them has a picture and a video.
:tup:

Didn't find any super obvious burrs, but cleaned up the threads and it seems to be sitting much better.

Last edited:

TankeyPankey

I'm realizing I'm smoking this like a joint with some air going through the sides of my mouth, but now it has me all sorts of fucked up about how to actually hit this thing. The draw resistance seems so much more when not letting air in through the sides of your mouth.

TankeyPankey,

darkstar72

Ordered my Tempest Saturday and am getting psyched.

What are your opinions for the best cooling without glass? Does the Helix tube in the open setting cool the most? Any major flavor drawbacks? I'm planning to replace the Dynavap to lose the throat irritation. Will likely run it on the half bowl setting.

My order included the sic balls. Anyone prefer sic or boro over Zirc for smaller loads? Thanks

darkstar72,
Reactions: simba

I_like_logs

Ordered my Tempest Saturday and am getting psyched.

What are your opinions for the best cooling without glass? Does the Helix tube in the open setting cool the most? Any major flavor drawbacks? I'm planning to replace the Dynavap to lose the throat irritation. Will likely run it on the half bowl setting.

My order included the sic balls. Anyone prefer sic or boro over Zirc for smaller loads? Thanks
You don’t need glass at all. The best cooling is the tempest stem. I like using helix tube with the SCU and wide open airflow, but you’ll find your own style. My preferred balls are stainless, but I like them all for different reasons.

Hey!!!

How many heat-ups holds full charged wand?

Cheers!

C21-B1246-1941-49-BC-937-B-2-D54-AA0-AA248.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't usually get into these exchanges because my numbers never seem to be similar to others experience. Just as a data point for others, though, I will mention that in my case I am lucky to get more than 5 full heats from cold on a fresh set of batteries with my Wand. The Wand seems to have a wide variety of performance. If I ever see one at 75 bucks again, I may buy a second one just to see if this one has been defective its whole life.

JJ785

I don't usually get into these exchanges because my numbers never seem to be similar to others experience. Just as a data point for others, though, I will mention that in my case I am lucky to get more than 5 full heats from cold on a fresh set of batteries with my Wand. The Wand seems to have a wide variety of performance. If I ever see one at 75 bucks again, I may buy a second one just to see if this one has been defective its whole life.
How about leaving the USB C cable plugged in, at least while using it? For home use..

JJ785,
Top Bottom