The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Lomoski

Hi gang! Just got my tempest and so far it's been great, my first mad heaters products and the details are exceptional. However, I do have one question about the Visual indicator. When I'm heating up using the wand or a torch, it will move pretty smoothly to the first indicator mark and just beyond then the discs snap and it jumps backwards a fair bit (pre first mark) however If I heat it continuously it won't move above the medium mark and I don't want to add more heat, that would have me combusting from cold. I took the indicator and discs out to make sure there's nothing in the way/binding and reset following the exceptional instructions and videos. Still acting the same way. Is this "normal"? Thanks!

Lomoski,
Reactions: Grover

eyevape

👀
The spring may be stuck and needs to be pulled up. This has been explained by Brenyo here a few days ago. Go back a bit in this thread or in my posts, you’ll find it quick. There’s also a guide for disassembling and assembling the spring at the bottom of the manual.

Last edited:

Splather

Has anyone come across a good carrying case option that would hold the tempest, reload v2, wand and a couple of spare batteries? Preferably something that's easily available/delivered to the UK? Would be nice to have something I could just grab and shove into a bag for travel etc.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Has anyone come across a good carrying case option that would hold the tempest, reload v2, wand and a couple of spare batteries? Preferably something that's easily available/delivered to the UK? Would be nice to have something I could just grab and shove into a bag for travel etc.
Firedog case

This is what I'm using, will be a bit tight with extra batteries. Wand, reload, tempest with leather case - just about fits perfectly.

gosta

Ozchin Bag

I don't have any spare batteries, and it's pretty tight but it does the job. Would be fine with batteries instead of second reload.
o-rings, screens, and dynavaps in the zip pocket.

PS: I'm loving this thing, might write up a more elaborate post at some point, just got a few different strains to really test it out

Last edited:

sporty90

@Brenyo My spring is probably stuck too ?

I did a few tests, the vape was always at room temperature ( 20 degree Celsius) and my Ispire Wand was fully charged.

290 degrees: VI on the second line
295 degrees: VI on the second line
300 degrees: VI minimally over the second line
320 degrees: VI on two and a quarter.

I saw on the homepage that the third line should actually be reached at 290 degrees.

Last edited:
sporty90,
  • Wow
Reactions: eyevape

Brenyo

Manufacturer
@Brenyo My spring is probably stuck too ?

I did a few tests, the vape was always at room temperature ( 20 degree Celsius) and my Ispire Wand was fully charged.

290 degrees: VI on the second line
295 degrees: VI on the second line
300 degrees: VI minimally over the second line
320 degrees: VI on two and a quarter.

I saw on the homepage that the third line should actually be reached at 290 degrees.

I can't see the pictures but it could be that your adapter is set too deep.
3rd line is usually combustion.

If everything is installed correctly then the pointer can be adjusted by SLIGHTLY bending the middle of the spring.
Only bend it where the 2 red lines meet, the center should stay straight. This has to be done very carefully so I don't recommend it.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Yeah that's also fine. The pointer should go a bit further with zirc balls if it's set up like that.

You could also check the calibration by releasing the middle of the spring from the 2 posts, pushing the pointer to the starting position and checking the angle of the middle of the spring. It should align exactly with the flat part of the middle post (where the screw comes through) on the pointer. Please send a picture of it.

Last edited:

NinneDDu

It's finally here. I've already washed and made the first bowls... the first at 280 while the second definitely more roasted at 290. I was extremely impressed by the fact that there is no need at all to heat it a second time and the vapour quality is 100 Times better compared to a DynaVap. Definitely a must have. Thank you @Brenyo You made me a happy child

budweis

Comfortably Numb
Hey @Brenyo, I assume this is wrong position of the spring, right? On the left it should go under the post, not above? I just did the initial burnoff and after the click the VI stopped on the first mark and didn't move further. Thanks!

8KrCJV6.jpg

budweis,

btka

I am going to order some boro balls and was thinking about ordering sic balls also. What difference would they make. And when reading the manual it says that the thermal conductivity of them is 120 W/m•K (zirconia is 1.1 W/m•K and boro is 2.5 W/m•K) so what difference does this bring when using with the tempest. Regarding density sic (3.21 g/cc) is between zirconia (5.68 g/cc) and boro (2.23 g/cc). About the differences and effect in density, I understand (tempest manual says: Higher density balls can store the heat longer and provide a smoother experience due to the slower temperature buildup.
Lower density balls heat up more quickly and can deliver a punchier hit.)

Also I am thinking to purchase a reload, but I am not sure if I should choose a silver one or black, is the black coating DLC (Diamond-like carbon) like the black tempest? @Brenyo

Last edited:

budweis

Comfortably Numb
Thanks man, it seems to be working fine now. Just a bit past the second mark, 280°C Wand time out.
------

Really happy to have my hands on the legendary monster. It was a tough lesson of zen as the courier missed me by one day before my departure for vacation. I had to wait whole week knowing the package was ready to collect but here we are.

First impression – materials and quality of manufacturing, wow. Everything fits smoothly and feels great in hand. The wooden stem has beautiful grain and changes hue in different light conditions. I'm a sucker for wooden vapes but the titanium heat shield looks rad as well. Can't wait to chug some clouds!

umODxe6.jpg

HaggisHunter

I am going to order some boro balls and was thinking about ordering sic balls also. What difference would they make. And when reading the manual it says that the thermal conductivity of them is 120 W/m•K (zirconia is 1.1 W/m•K and boro is 2.5 W/m•K) so what difference does this bring when using with the tempest. Regarding density sic (3.21 g/cc) is between zirconia (5.68 g/cc) and boro (2.23 g/cc). About the differences and effect in density, I understand (tempest manual says: Higher density balls can store the heat longer and provide a smoother experience due to the slower temperature buildup.
Lower density balls heat up more quickly and can deliver a punchier hit.)

Also I am thinking to purchase a reload, but I am not sure if I should choose a silver one or black, is the black coating DLC (Diamond-like carbon) like the black tempest? @Brenyo
The Boro heat up super fast and aggressively, don't fill it to the top of the bowl, watch how hard you draw on it while you get used to it, I ended up going below the suggested temp on the manual for Boro.
They are the most punchy of the balls on offer.
A good option for glass pieces.

I much prefer the sic, they still heat fairly aggressively, more so than the zirc, but they're easier for general use than the Boro, draw strength still affects it, but I found I was able to hit it with less issues in comparison to the odd bit of scorching I got with Boro, so they're a good halfway between the boro and zirc, they don't hold heat for long, they're ideal for single hit extractions with the half bowl using the tempest native, rather than going for a water piece with boro.

SS I'm still on the fence with them, they take the longest to heat up as the table suggests, they feel very similar to the zirc in terms of the extraction, but I've found they transfer more heat to the stem, I feel the heat coming through into the heat shield.
I've been running the SS since Sunday and really can't quite get into them.

I think the stainless will be my least used choice.

I've been running my release tempest with zirc, I've been changing the balls in the pre-release unit, to give a direct comparison.
I think my almost permanent set-up will be one with zirc and one with sic.

Marok

I can't see the pictures but it could be that your adapter is set too deep.
3rd line is usually combustion.

If everything is installed correctly then the pointer can be adjusted by SLIGHTLY bending the middle of the spring.
Only bend it where the 2 red lines meet, the center should stay straight. This has to be done very carefully so I don't recommend it.
Before everyone breaks their springs in attempt to tweak the VI ever so slightly, do you have a guide to do that without special tools?
And I guess increasing the angle moves the VI a bit further to the 3rd mark and decreasing it will so the opposite?

Marok,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Reloads are dye-anodized, neither of the colors match exactly.

Before everyone breaks their springs in attempt to tweak the VI ever so slightly, do you have a guide to do that without special tools?
And I guess increasing the angle moves the VI a bit further to the 3rd mark and decreasing it will so the opposite?
Don’t try it without a fine point tweezer, I couldn’t find a tool just as good.

Yes

jbm

I'm thinking it might be easier to change your behavior than to try and adjust the spring. Actually, I'm pretty sure of that. :o
My beta upgrade kit arrives today, along with a factory second Reload and a wooden sleeve. The only thing is, I have this thing so well dialed in at this point that I'm not sure I should change anything. It works great with the wand and I have it on a @Hookahhead_MD WPA. 2 big dairy hits on glass. Definitely thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Top Bottom