The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

GnarlyVandal

Screw off the indicator housing on the Reload and pull up the outer side of the spring. Make sure that the outer side is touching or almost touching the inner wall of the housing all around. The spring compressed too much from the extra heat and got stuck in the lip / shelf thingy on the inside. It should work fine once you pulled it out.

There is a video on the bottom of the manual that might help taking it apart.
I’ll have a look and give it a try, thanks!

GnarlyVandal,

Corvoed

Farm Grower
How abnormal is it for the disks to have long delayed cooldown clicks? They work fine on heatup, but when I put the Tempest on my reload magnet, I'll get the first cooldown click relatively quickly, but sometimes I won't hear the 2nd disk's cooldown click until 45 minutes later. Doesn't really effect performance in anyway for me, but I find it odd.

Corvoed,
Reactions: eyevape

Brenyo

Manufacturer
How abnormal is it for the disks to have long delayed cooldown clicks? They work fine on heatup, but when I put the Tempest on my reload magnet, I'll get the first cooldown click relatively quickly, but sometimes I won't hear the 2nd disk's cooldown click until 45 minutes later. Doesn't really effect performance in anyway for me, but I find it odd.
I think the magnet might be pulling on the click disc that’s closer to it and won’t let it click back.
It’s usually around 5 minutes on mine.

Feyd2blak

Hubba hubba, black and rosewood is even better looking than I hoped. Ti and ebony also amazing 😍 beta upgrade installed (vi still a bitch to install though even with the new tweezers, actually went off manual as could not get the straight part to clip into the 2 bars but got there in the end) Thank you @Brenyo, Christmas came early, top class customer service as always!

retoxis

Received my tempest a few days ago and absolutely loving it - finally got through all of the ball/stem choices!

Does anyone have any tips on how to install the ball retaining screen? Other than by fluke the very first time I'm finding it impossible to get back in straight, I always end up with one of the fins bent slightly/on the wrong thread. I've very carefully flattened the screens multiple times to no avail alongside multiple cleans of the head just in case there was something stuck.

I very carefully then tried a brand new screen, and exactly the same thing.

HashOnMyMind

Received my tempest a few days ago and absolutely loving it - finally got through all of the ball/stem choices!

Does anyone have any tips on how to install the ball retaining screen? Other than by fluke the very first time I'm finding it impossible to get back in straight, I always end up with one of the fins bent slightly/on the wrong thread. I've very carefully flattened the screens multiple times to no avail alongside multiple cleans of the head just in case there was something stuck.

I very carefully then tried a brand new screen, and exactly the same thing.

This is how its suppose to be. One fin MUST be like that else it will come loose iiuc.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I have caught a fin before, but it will close fine without a fin being out of round. I find if I turn it backwards (Counter Clockwise) a couple spins I can usually get it to seat in the bottom and then go clockwise again to catch the threads. I have missed it if it says anywhere that one fin should be out of sync.

grognard3r

It's good to read that new Tempest owners are happy. Enjoy!

All the tips here from beta users are great, but don't overlook the fun of discovery of this awesome vape by yourself. What I mean: once new owners get a baseline extraction, perhaps from tips read on here or by carefully reading the (fantastic) manual, find what you personally enjoy the most by good old-fashioned experimentation. That's part of the fun of this device, at least to me. You can always post questions here, and this is a supportive community, but also do not be shy about trying things out by yourself. Take the path less taken, so to speak.

You may find, like me, your preferences change. Two examples: when I first received my Tempest (Dec of 23), I opened the air flow cap at the top to almost full. Weeks later, I shifted to almost closed. Nowadays, I do about 1/3 open airflow cap in the morning (has an espresso-like effect on me) but restrict to almost closed towards evening (more laid-back, joint kinda vibe). Even in a single day, I bounce between settings. I'd highly recommend doing that if you think your tolerance got too high. You can totally floor yourself with a different kind of Tempest hit, depending on something as simple as rotating the air flow port one way or the other. I can't wait to try the new balls! That adds new levels to this fun! Oh, and don't forget to play around with settings on the stem. That is a whole new set of variables! The options seem unending now with different ball types. So far, my top pick has been zirc. We will see if it keeps the throne.

For those of you in the US and like to attach a glass stem, Plant of the Vapes looks like it is having a decent Labor Day sale. They have BB 9s for $30, which is a steal. Compare that to the DynaVap prices for BB 3s and 6s. DynaVap isn't even offering the 9s currently. I hardly see those 9s anymore. Don't get me wrong: I think the Tempest is genius--everything---but I sometimes like a shortcut to cleaning and/or want to attach to larger glass pieces. The BB 9 is perfect as an adapter and a stem. Several pages back, I think I remember RedZep writing that the pin-hole carb on his BB 6 (or 3?) was spot on. I agree.

Soaking a BB 9 in ISO overnight and not having to deal with small parts in a re-assembly is a nice alternative to have, particularly if you like to keep your stems squeaky clean. The cleaner you can keep your stem, the more pronounced the taste.

MislavKO

When can I expect the silver (raw titanium) colour to be available again? Currently there are only a few colour options on the eu store...

MislavKO,

xnanaki

When can I expect the silver (raw titanium) colour to be available again? Currently there are only a few colour options on the eu store...
Check out this post where brenyo mentions the next batch will probably be comming in the next 6-12 months .

So I guess: pick a color or wait it out ;).

xnanaki,

Wylie

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
My Tempest arrived today! Feels great in the hand. The high quality manufacturing I have come to expect from Madheaters.
I have her soaking In iso atm. Looking forward to giving her a thorough testing later. Having been checking this thread for over a year it's been a long time coming. Happy days.

Marok

Just measured: my second cooldown click takes 17min after the first one - no magnets involved no cooling stand.

Last edited:

eyevape

Along with Brenyo’s suggestions, you might try getting a bit more airflow in the mix by letting a little of it through the carb and up the stem.. at times.
First of all I discovered my VI to be kind of stuck. It moves, but stopped at the 2nd mark, no matter how much heat I applied. That’s why I heated past the 2nd click and combusted hard - I wanted that thing to move 😅 Took the VI apart as @Brenyo suggested to @GnarlyVandal, put it back together, now it’s working again.

I don’t understand how adding stem airflow could affect the roast, as this happens after the bowl. Is it because the draw gets weaker, like a little cooling break for the herb?

First of all I discovered my VI to be kind of stuck. It moves, but stopped at the 2nd mark, no matter how much heat I applied. That’s why I heated past the 2nd click and combusted hard - I wanted that thing to move 😅 Took the VI apart as @Brenyo suggested to @GnarlyVandal, put it back together, now it’s working again.

I don’t understand how adding stem airflow could affect the roast, as this happens after the bowl. Is it because the draw gets weaker, like a little cooling break for the herb?
Yeah. Your overall problem very well could be the velocity of your draw speed. Just try all these suggestions before figuring out why it works the way it does. “Don’t over research the joy out of life”

eyevape

@humbuckers I do try the suggestions, but I also want to understand what I’m doing and why. This leads to learning which adds joy to my life 😉 I’ve never been able to learn stuff without understanding it.

Last edited:
eyevape,
Reactions: Zagala

TedJones

Is it because the draw gets weaker, like a little cooling break for the herb?
Yep. Heat is weaker from the cap (but still there), until you put the finger on carb. Overall draw is more open obviously and cooler. That’s how I start it out, then adjust from there. Sometimes covered carb for the rest of the pulls if it doesn’t seem hot enough. Or even opposite if cap is too hot. My preferred DTL style :peace: This is using the direct tube and bypass airflow stem settings btw.

RedZep

Yeah as Tempest leans heavily convection (hence awesome flavour) it means we can get a range of different results based on draw strength. Airflow options change the dynamic, and combine with your draw technique.

I advise new users to try the tip on a WPA on a small bubbler like below. You will get visual feedback of how your draw, and the tip airflow setting changes the result. Also experiment with pack. The below vid is half bowl, with slightly tighter pack. I like full bowl to be looser pack. Tempest can be a little intimidating at first for new users. Just have patience and know that everyone who spent the time to get to know it, love it.

@humbuckers I do try the suggestions, but I also want to understand what I’m doing and why. This leads to learning which adds joy to my life 😉 I’ve never been able to learn stuff without understanding it.
No doubt. My only reckoning is finding resolution without all this analysis, as your comprehension seems to be slowing you down quite a bit. Don’t want you to grow weary and cast aside a worthy vape (in my eyes)

humbuckers,
Reactions: eyevape

eyevape

Thank you guys for the good suggestions 👍 I think I got it working properly now. While adding stem airflow I discovered what I was doing wrong: My draw was way too light. Drawing harder and occasionally open the carb a crack helped a lot. Now this vape behaves like expected and I can work my style from there.

It’s funny cause it’s the exact opposite thing with the Anvil. There I need to draw slow and careful to get a perfect even roast. If I’ld hit this thing like the Tempest, results would be as uneven as vice versa.

@TedJones Very helpful, thanks. I’ll try the direct tube with my next bowl as I want to go DTL most of the time. The helix is nice, but I don’t need that much cooling.

@RedZep Great suggestion 👍 That’s how I learned my TM2, but somehow I forgot about it temporarily 😄 Gonna do that for sure. Imho it’s the best way to learn any new vape as you can see exactly what’s happening. I personally prefer a big bong as it shows more draw „history“.

@humbuckers Don’t worry about me, I’m absolutely fine 😊 I’m 100% convinced that this is a great vape that will serve me for many years to come. If I sounded somehow frustrated, it’s probably me expressing myself wrong as I’m no native speaker. But believe me, I’m fully into my element learning this thing. Nowhere near of giving up

Sativapo

I was wondering something. I tried the tempest with the flare and unlike the wand, you can't let the indicators potrude outside of the coil, so the VI reaches the max before the load so I have to continue heating after it reaches the max to reach high temps ( non combusting). Can this alter the VI functionning, decalibrate it or something ?

Sativapo,
Top Bottom