The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Brenyo

Manufacturer
I saw RedZep mention he didnt receive the Direct tube, so after cleaning I thought I would start with that one installed.
It was the SCU actually, I don't suggest using the direct tube native without it unless you go for low temp flavour hits

as it doubles as a easy way to open the cap on the go (works like a leather loop)
Sure, you'll be able to open the cap with it.

I am assuming the Tempest will be too hot to comfortable use on the Revolve stem (V1)? Thus a new body was made?
Yes it would be way too hot with the Ti, the wood sleeve is fine though.

Since I've increased the airflow on the final cap the new Ti sleeve is getting slightly hot as well if you do a very long draw. It's not too hot even near the tip and cools down quickly, but there is a lot of heat for sure.

Also, is the new wood stem functionally any different from the old wood stems? Aside from the new surface details.
No, it's just the looks.

Same with the new glass stem, is it thicker or different than the Revolve V2 glass stems?
It's thicker, 13mm now instead of 12mm on the V2.

Last edited:

RedZep

Just some first impressions...

I finally received the beta unit today after an eternity (about 10 days) of excitedly waiting.

It is slightly larger than the Revolve w/ dynavap tip, but only the head is longer. The stem is exactly the same length as the revolve, it just has the sleeve so its wider. The sleeve feels really good in hand. Its something extra to grip onto. The head is really cool looking and I like being able to see the little balls inside. The head also makes a very strong connections to the mad heaters magnets. Its way stronger than the dynavap caps. I can hold the Reload / Tempest on magnet sideways and it will not fall off. I took it all apart and cleaned - easy just like the revolve.

My daily routine consists of micro-dosing with a Revolve Gen 2, titanium tip, and armored cap. I prefer full bowl extractions with a single heat cycle using a single flame torch. Maybe 2-3 bowls throughout the day. Then after work I use a desktop ball vape thru a bong. I also have some portables, but end up using the Revolve for out and about as well.

I saw RedZep mention he didnt receive the Direct tube, so after cleaning I thought I would start with that one installed. I usually have my Revolve Gen 2 set up with the direct tube anyway so why not? I had the direct tube with the direct bypass setting and the adjustable air flow on the head fully open. I set the wand up with the insert, set it to 600F and waited for the time out notification. That first bowl was way too close to combustion for my taste. The way I had all the air flow settings was a little noisy and may have helped lead to a toastier roast because all that heat hit really fast on the flower.

Next bowl I turned the wand down to 575F and raised the insert just the tiniest bit. I also closed the air flow control on the head to about 2/3 open. Back into the wand until notification again, and got a perfect roast. The vape was a little warm, but I did have the direct tube in, and the taste was amazing.

Third bowl I kept all the same settings on the wand, and kept the head air control at 2/3 open, but I swapped out for the Helix tube. Perfect, cool vape. Perfect roast for my taste. And this is totally repeatable. It took just 3 bowls to get it dialed in for my taste.

Being pretty stoned at this point, I sat with the Tempest. I realized I was trying to hit the Tempest just like my dynavaps - fast and to the point before the precious heat was gone. I dont think this is necessary with the heat retention of the balls. So next I'll try sipping a bit more. I'm still experimenting but I think it is very versatile so far.

I'm just going to enjoy this for a bit. I'll be in touch after I've had some more time with it. Thanks for reading :)
Great to see others getting to test. As Brenyo said it's the secondary cooling spiral i'm missing. I have the direct flow tube and have used it with glass, which I think is the intention for it. If you use it native with the direct flow tube, you won't have enough cooling.

My stem gets a little warm with quick back to back heat cycles. By the third cycle you can feel warmth in the stem. Not too hot to touch, but I would be very interested to try the wood stem for this kind of usage, as wood doesn't get warm to the touch like that.

Play with the different airflow options, but don't be afraid to feather the carb hole also, as it helps generate big hits.

Yeah it takes getting used to the heat cycle length. We are so used to rushing from using Dynavaps and similar devices. When using in casual session style short puffs, you can really relax with it. I never feel like my bowl won't be fully extracted at the end. You begin to really trust the device in this way.

I'm like you. I casually have a bowl with a device here and there through the day, then have a bigger concentrated session after work. I find Tempest is filling both niches for me. I prefer it to my B0.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I'm like you. I casually have a bowl with a device here and there through the day, then have a bigger concentrated session after work. I find Tempest is filling both niches for me. I prefer it to my B0.
That sounds a little to good to be true - if it was to replace my ball vape I would be beyond impressed but find it hard to believe.

VapingYogi,

RedZep

That sounds a little to good to be true - if it was to replace my ball vape I would be beyond impressed but find it hard to believe.
I've literally just found a buyer for my B0.

It should be known that I was never in love with my B0. I dislike using large glass pieces. Didn't like either the 10 min warm up, or leaving it on all day. Didn't like the reload, tamping, bowl pre heat process. So others might not replace their desktop ball vape wit Tempest like I am.

But the Tempest can replace a desktop imo, for those who want to, because of how rapidly you can chain bowls together using the residual heat and the visual indicator.

RedeyeDezign

Accessory Maker
It was the SCU actually, I don't suggest using the direct tube native without it unless you go for low temp flavour hits
Ah, that makes sense. I'll have to swap it out with my Revolve SCU just to give it try. Thanks.

Yeah, this is my daily routine, but yesterday I just stuck with the Tempest. I was obviously excited about the new device, but in the past I would always go back to my desktop ball vape to get where I wanted to be. Dynavaps are great for micro-dosing, but I never get really baked using them. I was really stoned last night. Like I kinda dont remember going to bed, lol. I havent done that from vaping in a long time. So, yeah, I could see it replacing a BO.

RedZep

Ah, that makes sense. I'll have to swap it out with my Revolve SCU just to give it try. Thanks.

Yeah, this is my daily routine, but yesterday I just stuck with the Tempest. I was obviously excited about the new device, but in the past I would always go back to my desktop ball vape to get where I wanted to be. Dynavaps are great for micro-dosing, but I never get really baked using them. I was really stoned last night. Like I kinda dont remember going to bed, lol. I havent done that from vaping in a long time. So, yeah, I could see it replacing a BO.
I mean Tempest is a ball vape. B0 sweet spot is 0.2g. Tempest has 0.15g bowl. So it just comes down to which set of processes a user prefers. I know my preference. I think I've spoke on the variables a lot.

To the guy who vapes 0.4g/bowl in a B1 diffuser, I would be less inclined to say he could/should replace his desktop with Tempest however.

vappingallnight

No, it's just the looks.
Any chance you got photos comparing the new rosewood and the natural maple stems? I am particularly interested in seeing it with the "all" black tempest head and mp.
Is that rosewood gonna be commonly available later?

It's thicker, 13mm now instead of 12mm on the V2.
Will the new 13mm work with the V1 revolve?
Why do you not recommend using the 12mm for V1? Had been eyeing the 12mm for a while to use with my POTV One.

Thank you so much for answering questions. Mad love for your company.

vappingallnight,
Reactions: Brenyo

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I've literally just found a buyer for my B0.

It should be known that I was never in love with my B0. I dislike using large glass pieces. Didn't like either the 10 min warm up, or leaving it on all day. Didn't like the reload, tamping, bowl pre heat process. So others might not replace their desktop ball vape wit Tempest like I am.

But the Tempest can replace a desktop imo, for those who want to, because of how rapidly you can chain bowls together using the residual heat and the visual indicator.
I had Freight Train Pro that I shelved because the Anvil was better than it; so I believe its possible, I just find it hard to think of something producing the same level of affects from the same amount of product as the Taroma 360 which has taken my focus of late. That being said, I still end up on the couch with my reload and a dynavap.

RedZep

I had Freight Train Pro that I shelved because the Anvil was better than it; so I believe its possible, I just find it hard to think of something producing the same level of affects from the same amount of product as the Taroma 360 which has taken my focus of late. That being said, I still end up on the couch with my reload and a dynavap.
Tempest is a Ballvape. We aren't comparing apples to oranges here. I can't tell much difference. I think when you have ample calories like in B0 and Tempest, potency becomes more about temp choice. I did a very high temp hit in Tempest the other day, the AVB came out looking like a RTL 0.05g bowl Anvil hit. I was smacked out of my mind.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Any chance you got photos comparing the new rosewood and the natural maple stems? I am particularly interested in seeing it with the "all" black tempest head and mp.
I don't have a maple with me right now but the rosewood will look something like THIS.

And similar to this pic with the black parts:
IMG_0043.jpg

Is that rosewood gonna be commonly available later?
yes

Will the new 13mm work with the V1 revolve?
Why do you not recommend using the 12mm for V1? Had been eyeing the 12mm for a while to use with my POTV One.
It will, but it's hard to take apart after some use because it's a much wider sleeve, there is no grip and the o-rings are tight. It would work better if you replace an o-ring on the CU with the smaller 5x1 size.

The 12mm is not as bad, it's useable.

TankeyPankey

One more question for the testers, do you feel the need to experiment with different types of balls? I know different balls have different heat retention properties (I'm not actually sure what the differences are - I just know a lot of ball vape users like Ruby balls).

The interesting thing about this being portable is that heat retention isn't always a good thing, a faster cool down may be preferred by some.

I think what my question comes down to, if you were to just sip this, how long does it take until you feel like you need to reheat?

MDude

My question is can you put it in the leather sleeve and in your pocket as soon as you finish the load or is it too hot?

MDude,

RedZep

One more question for the testers, do you feel the need to experiment with different types of balls? I know different balls have different heat retention properties (I'm not actually sure what the differences are - I just know a lot of ball vape users like Ruby balls).

The interesting thing about this being portable is that heat retention isn't always a good thing, a faster cool down may be preferred by some.

I think what my question comes down to, if you were to just sip this, how long does it take until you feel like you need to reheat?
I experimented with Zirc and Boro. Boro has enough calories to fully extract easy. Zirc will give a longer heat cycle, which might be important to users who want a session, joint style experience. Although I haven't timed this. It would be tricky to time as you don't know when the balls time out so to speak, unless you are hitting it.

Torch users who just do a large DTL hit might like Boro more as it shaves a little time of the heat up. I find my torch heats the device about as fast as my IH. I use a mid sized single flame.

I find I'm using Zirc more. It doesn't add too much to the heat up requirement, and it's nice knowing you have that longer cycle if you want to hit it that way. Sometimes I don't know how I want to hit it until the device is in my lips.

This might be psychosomatic, but I'm under the impression ZIRC has a slight positive effect on taste. But I would want more users to give their opinion.

My test unit has a screen, so it's more of a pain to change the ball for me. When I have a final model, I will be swapping out balls depending on use case. I could see myself using Boro outside the house for example. Unless it was really cold in which case I would want more retention and heat capacity.

I honestly strongly disagree with your heat retention point. If you want that there is a Dynavap. If you want a Ballvape then heat retention is sort of the point. The balls have loads of heat capacity. The benefit of massive powerful hits, ability to toke like a joint, and needing less energy for new bowls are huge advantages that vastly outweigh being able to put back in your pocket quickly. Especially considering we can just put it in a leather pouch (supplied) or some wooden solution. It's not like we were ever putting just used naked Dynavaps in our pockets. Both Dynavap and Tempest require a case solution for outdoors portable use.

Your last question is hard to answer. It just always has more than enough to fully extract the bowl. And that's going as slow as I want to. No rushing. To not have enough heat left to extract bowl would require negligence, like going on your phone and forgetting you are toking it.

Last edited:

Brenyo

Manufacturer
It’s barely loosing the heat if you don’t draw on it. Unless you want a 3 minute session it should be enough to fully vape the bowl no matter how small puffs you want to take.

My question is can you put it in the leather sleeve and in your pocket as soon as you finish the load or is it too hot?
You can, easily.

Fox

I don't have a maple with me right now but the rosewood will look something like THIS.

And similar to this pic with the black parts:
IMG_0043.jpg

yes

It will, but it's hard to take apart after some use because it's a much wider sleeve, there is no grip and the o-rings are tight. It would work better if you replace an o-ring on the CU with the smaller 5x1 size.

The 12mm is not as bad, it's useable.
Hi Brenyo, I am thrilled with this engineering and the quality you bring is a feast for the eyes. So far, I don't own anything from your workshop, but the Tempest and I will surely become friends. Nicely done!

RedeyeDezign

Accessory Maker

I personally dont feel the need to change out the balls. I only have experience with ruby balls in my desktop ball vapes, but I never felt the need to swap those out either. I need to do some more experimenting as I havent even had the Tempest for 24 hours yet, but the flavor and heat retention is great the way it is. I trust Brenyo's assessment and ball choice here.

Heat retention is a give and take, as with all dhv out there. My preferred method of vaping is to be as efficient as possible - both with my herb, and with my heat. I can rip it, or sip it, but I'm damned sure going to finish that bowl before having to reheat. If I just take one drag and set it down, whats the point? Pack a smaller bowl and finish that shit is my way of thinking. Plus, reheating mid-bowl with a dynavap was always sketchy and sometimes lead to combustion, so I have trained myself to avoid having to reheat.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Your last question is hard to answer. It just always has more than enough to fully extract the bowl. And that's going as slow as I want to. No rushing. To not have enough heat left to extract bowl would require negligence, like going on your phone and forgetting you are toking it.
Negligence is an odd word to use, but I think I get your point. In truth, I suspect there will be times if I am loading a full bowl which is apparently .15g, that I may not want to finish it in that one session. Two really good hits might be enough, so I may not finish the bowl until 5 or 10 minutes later or even longer. Then I may be reheating a bowl a second time. I suspect the reheat will go quicker unless I have waited long enough for the device to fully cool down.

This will be my first ball vape, so it will be my 1st experience with something portable that holds the Heat this long. We'll have to see what my usage style will be like.

RedZep

Negligence is an odd word to use, but I think I get your point. In truth, I suspect there will be times if I am loading a full bowl which is apparently .15g, that I may not want to finish it in that one session. Two really good hits might be enough, so I may not finish the bowl until 5 or 10 minutes later or even longer. Then I may be reheating a bowl a second time. I suspect the reheat will go quicker unless I have waited long enough for the device to fully cool down.

This will be my first ball vape, so it will be my 1st experience with something portable that holds the Heat this long. We'll have to see what my usage style will be like.
Negligence just means failing to take proper care. If you heat up the Tempest with intent to fully extract, then it requires you forgetting you are toking it and being distracted by something else to fail that intention imo.

You could do that no prob. Any residual heat will aid heat up time when you want to finish the bowl. Also you have the option to adjust the bowl to 0.075g So you could experiment full extraction of a smaller amount this way also.

Top Bottom