The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

akp55

With this picture I can see that it is the right depth. I dunno if this is how you had it before but I would expect it to perform more or less "normal" at this depth.

I checked back through your comment history in here and I see you did talk about the balls but I didn't see if you ever took them out to clean them?

The simplest thing I can recommend at this point is a full and thorough clean as well as to clean your Wand adapter. Even if the balls are clean there may be some unseen gunk in the oven housing. Either way, the VI housing is extremely dirty looking and a full, thorough cleaning of the entire device certainly can't hurt.

Here's what my oven looks like after not being cleaned for a week when I clean it normally weekly and have had it since early November:

i cleaned the balls on Saturday. i counted them today, have 40 Zirc balls in the head. i think i need tweezers to properly head with the VI stuff...

VI itself is clean, head looks dirty AF because its been just hanging out in my lil travel case.

i found the adapter for the tempest today as well. i tried with that, and was getting the same results as the black cap. evenly roasted bowl, but light and wispy hits. so now i am even more confused.

Last edited:

KindBuddyBud

i cleaned the balls on Saturday. i counted them today, have 40 Zirc balls in the head. i think i need tweezers to properly head with the VI stuff...

VI itself is clean, head looks dirty AF because its been just hanging out in my lil travel case.

i found the adapter for the tempest today as well. i tried with that, and was getting the same results as the black cap. evenly roasted bowl, but light and wispy hits. so now i am even more confused.
Can we get a picture of the airflow setup on the mouthpiece? I want to know if the airport is open and you might not be covering it as you inhale. Here’s a pic of mine…
edit: with this closed off airflow you do not need to cover / uncover the airport as you inhale.

KindBuddyBud,

akp55

Can we get a picture of the airflow setup on the mouthpiece? I want to know if the airport is open and you might not be covering it as you inhale. Here’s a pic of mine…
edit: with this closed off airflow you do not need to cover / uncover the airport as you inhale.
i run it in the open position so i can add some air/clear it during a rip so i don't have to remove the piece from the water pipe.

akp55,

KindBuddyBud

i run it in the open position so i can add some air/clear it during a rip so i don't have to remove the piece from the water pipe.
Sounds like you are but just to be thorough (and not a dick) are you covering that airport with your finger as you toke / inhale?

Again to be thorough and not assume, do you own a Dynavap?

I just tried it open (like your mouthpiece setup) natively (meaning toked on it like a joint) after heating as I took a long draw I put my finger on and off that little hole :cool:😳 (@TedJones knows I didn’t mean it like that.)
And that little experiment rocked my world, I am really high as I write this.

Here’s how my tempest is setup. Maybe try this setup and toke on it like a joint or Dynavap. The vapor is not too hot, you won’t burn up your lungs.

This setup with the closed off airflow at the mouthpiece allows me to puff on it without having to flutter the air port or finger on / off the airport as I toke. My draw speed is similar to drinking milk through a straw.

Last edited:
KindBuddyBud,

akp55

Sounds like you are but just to be thorough (and not a dick) are you covering that airport with your finger as you toke / inhale?

Again to be thorough and not assume, do you own a Dynavap?

I just tried it open (like your mouthpiece setup) natively (meaning toked on it like a joint) after heating as I took a long draw I put my finger on and off that little hole :cool:😳 (@TedJones knows I didn’t mean it like that.)
And that little experiment rocked my world, I am really high as I write this.

Here’s how my tempest is setup. Maybe try this setup and toke on it like a joint or Dynavap. The vapor is not too hot, you won’t burn up your lungs.

yeah, over the airport when i start the rip, open it some through the rip to clear, and yepi have a DV. if you go back one or 2 pages you can see me hitting the DV on the rosewood stem w/ the tempest CU. nice thick hit. trying to get to that with the tempest. my stem and cu are setup the same as yours i think. helix/drc tube, no secondary cooling unit, MP is locked. sometimes i'll start it in the closed position and then rotate the stem to open to clear hit, just depends on the mood.

GnarlyVandal

yeah, over the airport when i start the rip, open it some through the rip to clear, and yepi have a DV. if you go back one or 2 pages you can see me hitting the DV on the rosewood stem w/ the tempest CU. nice thick hit. trying to get to that with the tempest. my stem and cu are setup the same as yours i think. helix/drc tube, no secondary cooling unit, MP is locked. sometimes i'll start it in the closed position and then rotate the stem to open to clear hit, just depends on the mood.
Just to say this again, you do get denser vapour, at least in my experience, with the direct tube rather than helix tube. I would try swapping to direct if you don’t want wispier vapour. With the direct tube in, I set the tempest airway to bypass and have been getting great rips, feather the air hole as needed. (Direct tube is also recommended for water pieces in the manual)

I also come from vaping Dynavap mainly, with an armoured cap and fully roasting bowls, this should get you there ✌️

Last edited:

TedJones

after heating as I took a long draw I put my finger on and off that little hole :cool:😳 (@TedJones knows I didn’t mean it like that.)
Hey, if we want to toke on the Tempest like this, so be it.
eric andre flautist GIF by The Eric Andre Show

I also come from vaping Dynavap mainly
Me too. Those are “direct” tubed condensers as well. Good suggestion if haven’t tried yet.

By the way, to keep this thread less cluttered shouldn't we be using this shipping thread to talk about shipping matters?

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Is there anyone who prefers the 3mm balls over the 2.5mm balls? It would seem to me that the 2.5mm balls would have more surface area touching the air flow so might heat it better but I wonder what users might have experienced.

hazyy1

Anyone been able to use the different types of balls? I was able to grab the SiC and stainless steel as the zirc and glass ones come with the preorder.

hazyy1,

akp55

Just to say this again, you do get denser vapour, at least in my experience, with the direct tube rather than helix tube. I would try swapping to direct if you don’t want wispier vapour. With the direct tube in, I set the tempest airway to bypass and have been getting great rips, feather the air hole as needed. (Direct tube is also recommended for water pieces in the manual)

I also come from vaping Dynavap mainly, with an armoured cap and fully roasting bowls, this should get you there ✌️
interesting. i tried the direct tube with both the DV and Tempest heads and didn't like it. the helix/drc give me the resistance that's similar to using a water pipe with a snapper in it.

akp55,
Reactions: TedJones

HaggisHunter

Is there anyone who prefers the 3mm balls over the 2.5mm balls?
I was using the 3mm over the weekend. I was getting a bit of a tickle in the throat with them. I was trying them back to back against another with 2.5mm and I felt it was noticeable, but I do have sensitivity issues in the throat so maybe for others that wont be an issue, the roast was still good though.

Anyone been able to use the different types of balls?
The Boro heats up quickly, they're a hard and fast approach, I liked them with water pieces.
I went with someone else's advice and didn't fill the bowl to the top, otherwise there can be some scorching depending on how hard you draw on it.

Been using sic the last couple of days and I really like them, seem to be a good halfway between the boro and zirc.
Fast to heat up, and I'm finding I can draw on them quite hard and there's less risk of any scorching etc, I'm getting a couple of really big rips from a half bowl.

Will probably wait till tomorrow before I try the SS, I have both sizes of those.

Last edited:

TedJones

Is there anyone who prefers the 3mm balls over the 2.5mm balls? It would seem to me that the 2.5mm balls would have more surface area touching the air flow so might heat it better but I wonder what users might have experienced.
They’re my preference. But I like a lot of airflow & dtl. Had the 2.5’s in last week for about 5 days & you’re right, the cap does hotter and for longer with the same amount of applied heat. Felt the heat & weight on the stems a bit more too :brow: Will prob go with 3 Sic next time I dump to change it up :tup:

Fogoff

My wand is stuck in flower mode. Does anyone have any tips or techniques for using the Tempest in this mode?

Fogoff,

n0tu2

My wand is stuck in flower mode. Does anyone have any tips or techniques for using the Tempest in this mode?
Pretty sure it's the same - maybe the heating timings a little different if flower mode/who knows? If I remember correctly when the wand first came out there were 2 versions.. An EU and US version.. US only had the one mode.. but the EU version had a physical switch for flower or concentrate mode.. think it just lights up a flower picture in the screen if in flower mode?

The US version still has the functionality but they removed the physical switch.. You have to open it up and manually flip it on the inside of the US wand on the board.. If you do some searching there are probably instructions/how to somewhere.. I think they switched over to US standard design (no flower mode) for all future wands produced for EU as well..

n0tu2,
Reactions: Petetbay

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
There's a few posts on reddit with photos on two different ways to access the switch. Apparently nothing changes except the color of the LED light and the image on screen. All other functionality is reported to be identical.

bizwaxzion,

Singularity Walker

Changing the switch changes between flower & concentrate mode.
Concentrate mode is temperature settings (just timers not real temp) and a yellow LED when heating. - plenty of recommendations for temps to set.
Flower mode has 4 values from 1 flower to 4 flowers and a green LED when heating. For flower mode I would recommend either 3 or 4 flowers till time-out. I prefer 3 as less risk of combust and I can always use VI and add/reheat more if I want.

Singularity Walker,

NinneDDu

Changing the switch changes between flower & concentrate mode.
Concentrate mode is temperature settings (just timers not real temp) and a yellow LED when heating. - plenty of recommendations for temps to set.
Flower mode has 4 values from 1 flower to 4 flowers and a green LED when heating. For flower mode I would recommend either 3 or 4 flowers till time-out. I prefer 3 as less risk of combust and I can always use VI and add/reheat more if I want.
On Reddit I found that you have to disassemble the wand to do it. but imo is absolutely useless, it is more accurate in concentrated mode because you have more temperature choices

NinneDDu,
Reactions: ahm123

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
*makes a return to FC after a Covid break*

I have balls galore to test and am starting to play with them now I can breathe properly (before this goes to "quotes out of context" I wasn't out of breath because of the balls ffs)

The black Tempest with the Rosewood sleeve is my release version of the Tempest :)

** Edit : its been a year today since I came to FC - specifically for the Tempest and the Screwball.... good times

Last edited:
Top Bottom