The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
It would be interesting to see you put the head on a glass adapter to confirm whether or not the problem is in the stem or in the head. I'm betting it's a stem problem and that somehow you have blocked the airflow in the stem.

The advantage to the glass piece in trying to figure this out is that you get to see the actual vapor flow and there's no subjectivity of how it feels in your lungs.

akp55

It would be interesting to see you put the head on a glass adapter to confirm whether or not the problem is in the stem or in the head. I'm betting it's a stem problem and that somehow you have blocked the airflow in the stem.

The advantage to the glass piece in trying to figure this out is that you get to see the actual vapor flow and there's no subjectivity of how it feels in your lungs.
not sure how its a stem problem. i can take my m tip and throw it on the same stem and get big clouds. i can take the tempest head and put it on the rosewood stem, and i still get wimpy clouds.

It being a beta doesn't effect performance.

The vapour from the wand tells me your wand is set too high.
i've tried from 525 to 615....

i just wanna figure out how to enjoy it like everyone else is =/

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
not sure how its a stem problem. i can take my m tip and throw it on the same stem and get big clouds. i can take the tempest head and put it on the rosewood stem, and i still get wimpy clouds.
I missed that in your earlier post, sorry. I don't know where in the world you are, but maybe there's another Tempest user near you who can have a look at your setup. If it's not packed too tight, is being adequately heated, and has open airflow I can't see why you would be having this problem.

Try this. Take the head off your stem and close the airflow in the head. If you put the head to your lips and suck you should feel obstructed and get no airflow. Now open the airflow adjustment and put it back to your lips. When you suck on it you should get a very noticeable improvement in your airflow. If you don't get this than something is wrong. If you DO get the airflow than I can imagine no reason for your Tempest not to work, at least as you describe the problem...

akp55

Which balls do you have in the cap? Do they nearly reach the ball screen?
whatever the ones that were sent out in the feb kit. they are small white balls, i think there are around 60 of them in the head.

i just ran it again at 500F, bowl is thoroughly roasted, but again, light vapor production. top of the head was closed off as much as possible, used the DRC tube in open mode with my finger to modulate the air on a water pipe.

It being a beta doesn't effect performance.

The vapour from the wand tells me your wand is set too high.
I also see vapour in your glass piece 🤷‍♂️

Why not try without water, or even without the glass piece ?

Have you tried it native?
yes there is vapor in the glass, my issue is the density of said vapor.

Last edited:
akp55,
Reactions: boon

Zow237

Any news for people that bought the betas? Jw when Im able to get a new clicking head?

Zow237,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
You can order that now.

cybrguy,
Reactions: Zow237

akp55

I missed that in your earlier post, sorry. I don't know where in the world you are, but maybe there's another Tempest user near you who can have a look at your setup. If it's not packed too tight, is being adequately heated, and has open airflow I can't see why you would be having this problem.

Try this. Take the head off your stem and close the airflow in the head. If you put the head to your lips and suck you should feel obstructed and get no airflow. Now open the airflow adjustment and put it back to your lips. When you suck on it you should get a very noticeable improvement in your airflow. If you don't get this than something is wrong. If you DO get the airflow than I can imagine no reason for your Tempest not to work, at least as you describe the problem...
all good. ive tried that, but i am unsure of how to set it to get the vapor that i would like to. i've been trying to reason through it, and still can't figure it out. in the DV the air is pulled in through under the cap and between the tip and heated up as well as the side walls being hot. this hot air passes through the materials producing vapor. the nature of the cap provides as certain amount of restriction. i cannot replicate this restriction on my tempest head. maybe i shouldn't be trying to replicate the restriction, but at this point its the only idea i have left.

akp55,

mcscruffy

all good. ive tried that, but i am unsure of how to set it to get the vapor that i would like to. i've been trying to reason through it, and still can't figure it out. in the DV the air is pulled in through under the cap and between the tip and heated up as well as the side walls being hot. this hot air passes through the materials producing vapor. the nature of the cap provides as certain amount of restriction. i cannot replicate this restriction on my tempest head. maybe i shouldn't be trying to replicate the restriction, but at this point its the only idea i have left.
Looking at the videos you posted and the discoloration of the anodizing closest to the bowl and oven, it seems like your adapter is set at least a centimeter too deep. Can you post a picture of the bottom of the adapter on your wand? All the restriction in the world should be at your disposal between the stem carb and the oven vents.

akp55

Looking at the videos you posted and the discoloration of the anodizing closest to the bowl and oven, it seems like your adapter is set at least a centimeter too deep. Can you post a picture of the bottom of the adapter on your wand? All the restriction in the world should be at your disposal between the stem carb and the oven vents.
i believe that anodizing is from when i first got it and used it with a torch. this was in early in my DHV adventures before i got the wand. i'll post a video of it tomorrow. imma take some rips

HaggisHunter

i believe that anodizing is from when i first got it and used it with a torch. this was in early in my DHV adventures before i got the wand. i'll post a video of it tomorrow. imma take some rips
Sorry if it feels like things are being repeated, but it doesn't make any sense so might be worth starting from scratch.

If you have a glass adapter use that and run it through water, then any issue of the stem being blocked etc can be discarded.

I set my airflow in the head like this, it's not open much.

Then check the adapter, it should only stick out my a mm or so (this is where someone tells me I'm in the wrong position 😉😆)

The head should sit inside about this much

If the batteries are full, set it to 300°c, I run mine at 310-330°c depending on how many bars are displayed on the wand.
But run this one at 300°c for this to avoid any potential combustion.
Set the wand to run on auto and leave it till it has completed it's cycle/lights have gone off etc.
Hit it slowly to start off with, let the heat soak into the bowl as you inhale, you should feel the vapour getting more dense as you draw.

It sounds like you have the 3mm balls.
I've got a busy day today with work and visiting parents, when all that's done I'm going to put the 3mm balls in mine and see how it rips.
If you do have the 2.5mm balls then your several short, mine have 87 x 2.5mm zircs.

I lost about half of the balls in my pre-release model and the impact was massive.
I basically put it away till the replacementa turned up.

I hope you manage to get the dense rips your looking for.
We'll figure it out.

Maybe someone could hold a zoom or teams call with you? I don’t have mine yet so can’t help. However community has lots of experienced Tempest users on it. Hope you get it sorted.

grognard3r

To be honest, I find Dinovap vapor to be on the thin side compared to Tempest vapor.

Your Tempest should produce vapor for about double the time a VapCap does, as the balls retain heat so well.

HaggisHunter above gave some super tips with his idea to only try the head. His pics should also be helpful. I'd recommend double checking your Wand insert to be sure it looks like HaggisHunter's. It looks like his adapter protrudes ever so slightly. My adapter is flush with the back of the Wand. No matter what, though, the heating area of the Wand needs to be set so that the ball chamber is being heated with 100% efficiency. Brenyo also has great visuals on this in the user manual. The Wand adapter depth is vital to get the Tempest working right.

My cap airflow restriction is about the same as HaggisHunter. For SUPER dense clouds, though, you can turn that tiny air flow hole even more to a closed/sealed position. The first time I closed off the head air flow, I was skeptical that enough air could pass through the herb. It works fine; it's one of my favorite settings now, and the roast tends to be more uniform and more dark. On the other hand, with a more open air flow in the head, the roasting is more dark on the top and less brown at the bottom. The primary reason I (often) restrict air flow in this way is I adore thick, milky vapor.

To get a hit that will slap you to next week, increase that air flow even more than HaggisHunter's first picture. The difference of a single millimeter on the cap (and especially in the Wand depth) profoundly changes the experience. It took me a few days to tweak the Wand adapter depth just right.

I have never liked whispy, airy hits, and that is one (of many) reason I reach for the Tempest for my daily use.

Last edited:

akp55

Sorry if it feels like things are being repeated, but it doesn't make any sense so might be worth starting from scratch.

If you have a glass adapter use that and run it through water, then any issue of the stem being blocked etc can be discarded.

I set my airflow in the head like this, it's not open much.

Then check the adapter, it should only stick out my a mm or so (this is where someone tells me I'm in the wrong position 😉😆)

The head should sit inside about this much

If the batteries are full, set it to 300°c, I run mine at 310-330°c depending on how many bars are displayed on the wand.
But run this one at 300°c for this to avoid any potential combustion.
Set the wand to run on auto and leave it till it has completed it's cycle/lights have gone off etc.
Hit it slowly to start off with, let the heat soak into the bowl as you inhale, you should feel the vapour getting more dense as you draw.

It sounds like you have the 3mm balls.
I've got a busy day today with work and visiting parents, when all that's done I'm going to put the 3mm balls in mine and see how it rips.
If you do have the 2.5mm balls then your several short, mine have 87 x 2.5mm zircs.

I lost about half of the balls in my pre-release model and the impact was massive.
I basically put it away till the replacementa turned up.

I hope you manage to get the dense rips your looking for.
We'll figure it out.
okay so i did 3 more runs today. adjusted the things for more or less same results. first 2 were light and wimpy, and i combusted the 3rd.
IMG-2216.jpg

i did close up the hole for runs numbers 2 and 3
IMG-2217.jpg

i lost the white adapter, so i am using the black on from DV upside down, i know it doesn't look level, but it is.
IMG-2221.jpg

the roast on the 2 non combusted bowls. its pretty uniform so i am confused as to where all the magic is going.

Last edited:
akp55,

mcscruffy

I do
okay so i did 3 more runs today. adjusted the things for more or less same results. first 2 were light and wimpy, and i combusted the 3rd.
IMG-2216.jpg

i did close up the hole for runs numbers 2 and 3
IMG-2217.jpg

i lost the white adapter, so i am using the black on from DV upside down, i know it doesn't look level, but it is.
IMG-2221.jpg

the roast on the 2 non combusted bowls. its pretty uniform so i am confused as to where all the magic is going.
I am pretty lost on what the problem could be... I don't recall seeing in your other posts so forgive me if I missed this being discussed... have you taken the balls out to clean them? Any reclaim buildup in there could cause some issues like what you are talking about. Also, with the amount of smoke that came up when you pulled it from the Wand in the video, if the depth is right the only other explanation is stuff mixed in with the balls in the oven that's cooking it during the heat cycle.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss. Weird stuff, it seems like it should be straightforward but maybe check all the o rings to make sure they are good too?

mcscruffy,

akp55

I do

I am pretty lost on what the problem could be... I don't recall seeing in your other posts so forgive me if I missed this being discussed... have you taken the balls out to clean them? Any reclaim buildup in there could cause some issues like what you are talking about. Also, with the amount of smoke that came up when you pulled it from the Wand in the video, if the depth is right the only other explanation is stuff mixed in with the balls in the oven that's cooking it during the heat cycle.

Beyond that, I'm at a loss. Weird stuff, it seems like it should be straightforward but maybe check all the o rings to make sure they are good too?
i think i am going to wait for my upgrade kit to come in and try again with the new balls and all.

so i lied. i cleaned the balls and tried again with a torch this time around.

1st runi used the torch to hit the middle of the sleeve. the thin part between the 2 rings. heated until VI was at second position. pretty much no vapor, bowl wasn't even roasted.
2nd run. just reused the first pack, heated the tip where the sleeve meets the colored part of the bowl. heated VI to second position. ended up combusting.
3rd run. fresh back, heated at the third part of the sleeve, so above the color, heated VI until 2nd position. got a RTL hit, bowl was not evenly roasted.

using this info i made some assumptions about the induction field and tried again with the wand. the VI is sticking way out there, but its close to giving me the hits i want when it gets to the 2nd VI. @HaggisHunter, i know you said it should only be sticking out a little bit, but i am going to assume mine is out more because beta?
IMG-2223.jpg

hopefully with the upgrade kit this wont be an issue since i'll be getting click discs, the view VI gear, and a new induction sleeve.

Last edited:

kegstandman420

[QUOTE="akp55, post: 1808104, member:
hopefully with the upgrade kit this wont be an issue since i'll be getting click discs, the view VI gear, and a new induction sleeve.
[/QUOTE] hey I have a Feb drop. I run my wand at 600-610f. Could it possibly be the bud you're using. I've noticed some buds I can chief the tempest for like 5-6 pulls and others it's like 1-2 pulls and it's done. I would try another strain it could be as simple as that.

kegstandman420,

akp55

[QUOTE="akp55, post: 1808104, member:
hey I have a Feb drop. I run my wand at 600-610f. Could it possibly be the bud you're using. I've noticed some buds I can chief the tempest for like 5-6 pulls and others it's like 1-2 pulls and it's done. I would try another strain it could be as simple as that.
[/QUOTE]

No it's not the bud I am using. I can throw the same bud in my m tip and chuck clouds. And I've used like 4 different types since we started this.

akp55,

GnarlyVandal

i think i am going to wait for my upgrade kit to come in and try again with the new balls and all.

so i lied. i cleaned the balls and tried again with a torch this time around.

1st runi used the torch to hit the middle of the sleeve. the thin part between the 2 rings. heated until VI was at second position. pretty much no vapor, bowl wasn't even roasted.
2nd run. just reused the first pack, heated the tip where the sleeve meets the colored part of the bowl. heated VI to second position. ended up combusting.
3rd run. fresh back, heated at the third part of the sleeve, so above the color, heated VI until 2nd position. got a RTL hit, bowl was not evenly roasted.

using this info i made some assumptions about the induction field and tried again with the wand. the VI is sticking way out there, but its close to giving me the hits i want when it gets to the 2nd VI. @HaggisHunter, i know you said it should only be sticking out a little bit, but i am going to assume mine is out more because beta?
IMG-2223.jpg

I’ve only had mine a few days, but from what I can see that’s way too deep. What you seem to be doing here is directly heating the bowl rather than the balls, so may get some hit, but nothing really.

I would recommend the following:

First; switch to the direct tube rather than helix tube.
Close the stem air hole if you haven’t already, as you want the densest vapour. Make the glass adapter basically flush with the wand. Set the wand to 330 Celsius and run it to timeout.

If you don’t get vapour from that then I’m really not sure what to advise. Hope you get it sorted

Top Bottom