The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

HaggisHunter

with the boro balls you need to use less material or, at least, move the material away from the top of the bowl. The boro kills the bowl faster than the zirc but you need to know how to use them
Agreed, I turned the wand down to about 260 to start with.
I run the zircs at about 320/330.
I ended up about 270c on the wand but I must have been drawing on it a bit too hard.

There was a little less material than normal.
I'll try less again this eve, thanks for the advice :)
I am all about maximising as little material as possible.
I might try regular half bowl loads with the screen in full bowl mode as well.

Never had a ball vape, been using the standard zircs since November.
I expected it to be different due to what I've read in here, but didn't expect I to be that different.
The flexibility this device offers is crazy.

I do think I want a permanent head for a water piece, even though I don't really need to use one often.

Now I have an even greater hankering to try the other options out.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Never had a ball vape, been using the standard zircs since November.
I expected it to be different due to what I've read in here, but didn't expect I to be that different.
The flexibility this device offers is crazy.
I put Zrc into the Mercury by Cannabis Hardware and it rocks, so wireless imo is where Zrcs shine; boro is quciker but you can layer heat in different ways to get really good effects but as @kokolokokolokon mentioned its a little different to the Zrcs - but they are all fun in different ways

PrematureEvaporation

Does anyone have any advice for using Zirc vs. Boro to get best results?

Obviously I know the material differences, but I mean in terms of applying heat, packing, loading et cetera.

Seems as if the Zirc likes one big heatup as it holds the heat, with a few top ups along the way?

Boro maybe a few medium sort of “spurts” of heat?

Seems there’s some technique refinement I could make in order to get better results with Boro whilst I wait for the Zirc to arrive

PrematureEvaporation,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.

Obviously I know the material differences, but I mean in terms of applying heat, packing, loading et cetera.

Seems as if the Zirc likes one big heatup as it holds the heat, with a few top ups along the way?

Boro maybe a few medium sort of “spurts” of heat?

Seems there’s some technique refinement I could make in order to get better results with Boro whilst I wait for the Zirc to arrive
I use boro slowly, I tend to heat less than I would using Zrc, (at first start with the first mark on the VI) and then hit it and then heat it a little more (to the middle of the VI) and hit it again, and then a little more to the last VI mark and hit it again. I like to layer heat over and over working up to peak vaping temperature and then just beyond it. Its a really nice way to get the most flavour possible from the herbs but still finish off the bowl with a good strong stoney experience.

With Zrc; it takes longer to get to the temperature you want it to be but it stays there longer, where as boro takes the heat very quickly but looses it just as quickly.

I am a little more aggressive with the Zrc, I tend to take it hotter, to the last VI mark and then hit it there, it holds the heat for a lot longer so I tend to sit back for a while and just puff on it slowly and lightly to concentrate the vapour and keep the heat retained for as long as possible. I might do a second heat but if I do its less than the first one, so i'll heat it to the middle of the VI rather than the very end.

With Boro you want to pack the bowl a little lighter, get the herbs back a little from the heat matrix especially if you are running hot as it will scorch the top of the herbs, my slower layered approach tends to avoid accidental scorching. I like to do a hot heat especially if I am using glass (bong) as its easy to clear the bowl with a single hot boro bowl.

Also torching - I do different torching techniques when using boro compared to Zrc - Zrc takes time for the heat to move through the whole heat matrix where as boro seems to take the heat evenly, more quickly. If you heat the bottom of the Zrc bowl the top takes longer to heat up and click compared to using boro.

PrematureEvaporation

I use boro slowly, I tend to heat less than I would using Zrc, (at first start with the first mark on the VI) and then hit it and then heat it a little more (to the middle of the VI) and hit it again, and then a little more to the last VI mark and hit it again. I like to layer heat over and over working up to peak vaping temperature and then just beyond it. Its a really nice way to get the most flavour possible from the herbs but still finish off the bowl with a good strong stoney experience.

With Zrc; it takes longer to get to the temperature you want it to be but it stays there longer, where as boro takes the heat very quickly but looses it just as quickly.

I am a little more aggressive with the Zrc, I tend to take it hotter, to the last VI mark and then hit it there, it holds the heat for a lot longer so I tend to sit back for a while and just puff on it slowly and lightly to concentrate the vapour and keep the heat retained for as long as possible. I might do a second heat but if I do its less than the first one, so i'll heat it to the middle of the VI rather than the very end.

With Boro you want to pack the bowl a little lighter, get the herbs back a little from the heat matrix especially if you are running hot as it will scorch the top of the herbs, my slower layered approach tends to avoid accidental scorching. I like to do a hot heat especially if I am using glass (bong) as its easy to clear the bowl with a single hot boro bowl.

Also torching - I do different torching techniques when using boro compared to Zrc - Zrc takes time for the heat to move through the whole heat matrix where as boro seems to take the heat evenly, more quickly. If you heat the bottom of the Zrc bowl the top takes longer to heat up and click compared to using boro.
This is perfect thank you! I see you in the TA thread and some of your posts have helped me there too. Much appreciated my man

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
This is perfect thank you! I see you in the TA thread and some of your posts have helped me there too. Much appreciated my man
@PrematureEvaporation I was thinking, the other thing I like to do is heat slowly, if for example using a torch, I have it set to like a medium flame and I hold it back - at a distance - I don't heat with the hottest part of the flame, I heat with closer to the lighter part of the flame nearer to the end.

I find that slower heat ups with the torch held further back it both easier to control and also helps avoid issues with the bottom of the device heating up to quickly compared to the top - as we are heating more of the cap by holding it back further.

Or when using the Forge I usually have the power down low (22-25%) for the first heat up and then up it to 50%-65% for top ups but I follow the same basic principles however I'll hold back a little more with the Zrc because I will do multiple heats using the Forge regardless of material (zrc / boro)

Last edited:

TankeyPankey

You may have already looked at this, but Brenyo updated the website some time ago to now include information on the different balls.

Atom Flower

hey guys- i have been playing with ball vapes for a while. I only ever cleaned the balls of my desktop ball vape once after a particularly smoky combustion incident pushed some smoke back up into the injector, because of the bubbler causing a small blow back. There was some soot left on the balls.

i just poured them into a steel bowl and fired at them in the bowl with a kitchen torch while moving them around until clean. To pour the balls back into their chamber I use a piece of paper folded in half and then folded again at one end to stop the balls from rolling away. I don't think cleaning them is really needed as firing the vape normally will clean them anyway and any residue is just carbon which shouldn't affect the taste.

Atom Flower,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I don't think cleaning them is really needed as firing the vape normally will clean them anyway and any residue is just carbon which shouldn't affect the taste.
I find if I don't clean the balls, at least periodically, they do pick up a taste that is unpleasant. I probably soak the head in alcohol every week or two and burn the balls clean with a torch every month or two. I average two or three half bowls a day with the Tempest.
I'm sure this strain being used is a factor in how much resin accumulates.

ahm123

Can someone recommend a descent inexpensive torch for cleaning the balls? I strictly use the wand so it is all I’d use it for & this method seems like the easiest/safest way to clean the zirc?

ahm123,

Atom Flower

I find if I don't clean the balls, at least periodically, they do pick up a taste that is unpleasant. I probably soak the head in alcohol every week or two and burn the balls clean with a torch every month or two. I average two or three half bowls a day with the Tempest.
I'm sure this strain being used is a factor in how much resin accumulates.
Assuming there is no debris entering the heater and going by what I've seen with the bigger ballers, this probably happens because of micro-blowback which pushes some vapor backwards into the heater so maybe has to do with inhalation technique and air intake settings as well.

Atom Flower,
Reactions: TedJones

Logo

Does anyone know if the tempest will work with the YLL 2.0 Induction Heater? Also should the tempest heat indicater be positioned so that it's not in the IH (as in, have that part sticking out the other side of the IH)?

Logo,

Choker

Will this tempest offer me anything new? Im trying to talk myself into it. I have a few Dyna with various set ups mostly chase single hit extraction. I like my Vong’s with FMJ or armoured cap with torch, helix tip with wand and low temp cap hitting while it heats up for a long draw.
I use them all on glass.

Since my screwball arrived I haven’t used my dynas much but it’s just a new gear thing.

Also any ideas when the sale will go live?
I just bought the revolve gen2 I see now it says if you buy tempest at the same time you buy a revolve you get a discount, anyway to still get the discount now? Or any codes?

Choker,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Assuming there is no debris entering the heater and going by what I've seen with the bigger ballers, this probably happens because of micro-blowback which pushes some vapor backwards into the heater so maybe has to do with inhalation technique and air intake settings as well.
I'm pretty confident that is exactly what is happening, because I often see a puff of vapor when I load the head onto a glass piece. Were it not for that the airflow would all be heading the other way when one draws and shouldn't juice up the balls.

HaggisHunter

Does anyone know if the tempest will work with the YLL 2.0 Induction Heater? Also should the tempest heat indicater be positioned so that it's not in the IH (as in, have that part sticking out the other side of the IH)?
It doesn't work unfortunately. Works with the new flare though, that's coming out soon.

Works great with the wand, good batteries make a difference.
Also, with the wand you can see the visual indicator when it's heating up.

The indicator is fine to be inside, it sits inside the wand adapter mad heaters sell.
There's a guide on the website that shows you were to position it.

Will this tempest offer me anything new? Im trying to talk myself into it.
It's flexibility is it's greatest asset in my opinion, it's a proper heavy hitter or a more gentle sipper, I'm really impressed at how well it can fill the space at both ends of the spectrum, and everything in-between.

I have the more up to date indicators, only been using them for a few days so still getting used to them, but they're really accurate and allow me to tune the session I want.
Whether that's a lighter session, or going for a more thorough roast, the indicators are accurate, reliable and allow repeatable results, indoors or outdoors, on the move etc.

Then there's the alternative ball materials, I just tried a different material yesterday, it's offered up even more options and ways of using it, and there's two more to come.

Last edited:

TedJones

Can someone recommend a descent inexpensive torch for cleaning the balls? I strictly use the wand so it is all I’d use it for & this method seems like the easiest/safest way to clean the zirc?
Any medium sized torch at your local tool box store, ~ $20-$35 should be fine.
Small flame will work but will take longer. Want to get that bright blue right on them. Quick DEMO ;)

TedJones,
Reactions: ahm123

grognard3r

It's flexibility is it's greatest asset in my opinion, it's a proper heavy hitter or a more gentle sipper, I'm really impressed at how well it can fill the space at both ends of the spectrum, and everything in-between.

I have the more up to date indicators, only been using them for a few days so still getting used to them, but they're really accurate and allow me to tune the session I want.
Whether that's a lighter session, or going for a more thorough roast, the indicators are accurate, reliable and allow repeatable results, indoors or outdoors, on the move etc.

Then there's the alternative ball materials, I just tried a different material yesterday, it's offered up even more options and ways of using it, and there's two more to come.

I think Haggis Hunter is right about the Tempest's flexibility. It's fun to find the exact airflow configuration that suits you best.

It most certainly can be a heavy hitter--if you set it up that way. For its size, it's amazing all the variety you can get out of it. Perhaps think of a fancy Swiss Army knife, except for vapor intake settings instead of can opener, screwdriver, corkscrew, blade, etc. If you want a hit that will blow you away (and cough up a lung if that's your thing), you can find a setting for it. If you'd like a hit that's smoother, then close off the air intake more and other airpath settings (i.e. goes up the outer spiral or through the inner air tube). Insert the secondary cooling unit in the mouthpiece (or take it out for more taste and a bit more heat).

I usually close off the air intake in the tip. I perceive the hit to be less harsh and more tasty. By accident today, I unknowingly opened the intake to half open. That hit caused my eyes to water and went through a coughing fit. Wow. I felt awesome after coughing faded and the stoneyness set in.

Once the different balls are released, that will add a whole new dimension. The chart for different ball material, Wand settings, etc on the user guide page are really helpful. I saw I was setting the temp too high for my boro balls. I tried the recommended temp, and the experience was way more enjoyable. I'll go back to zirc balls, as I like those more, but the simple fact that I can play around with various settings (ball type, airflow options, sleeve options) makes this a truly fun vape.

HaggisHunter

Your probably right, mines have only really been mega dirty once.
Originally I was running mine by just placing the tempest in the wand, I'd tamp each bowl down slightly but after a few weeks the balls were properly coated.
After I cleaned them in sugar soap, I started holding the tempest upright and using the wand upside down, they've never been that dirty since. I felt it was noticeable when they were that bad, felt like they took longer to heat up and didn't hold the heat as well.

You can still see a light build up, but nothing like the were in the photo.

PSX-20240219-091233.jpg

It's fun to find the exact airflow configuration that suits you best.
I completely forgot to mention the airflow adjustments :lol:
One of the biggest factors of the device itself.
I run both the air intakes so there's a slight opening in them both.

Certainly plenty of ways to tune it to your personal taste.

Marok

Will a closed intake in the tip be closer to dynavap/conduction and open more like a regular ball vape?

Marok,
Top Bottom