The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

RedZep

Thanks @RedZep

I think I’ll order the Zirc then. I am very happy with the Boro but I certainly find the heat spikes frustrating, and would love to smooth out the curve as it were.

Would you say it’s a more complete extraction with Zirc compared to Boro? I’d imagine once it’s up to temp there has been more time for heat conduction to the bowl to occur from the slower heatup, and the more gradual application of heat to the air stream as the balls all come to temp would help flavour and preserve some of the lower temp terps a bit better.

I feel like as these portable ball vapes continue to gain popularity it would be nice to have a separate thread just for comparing ball materials. It’s so cool that you can rebuild the heater on these devices.
My experience with the Tempest suggests that full even extraction is more to do with stem/tip airflow settings, combined with draw speed. I can get full even extraction in half/full bowl with both ball types.

The Tempest has so many potential settings. So combined with user draw speed it is a large continuum of potential different results. I've had it set up once where I was scorching the top more than the rest of the bowl. However it was only for a few days, and I can't remember how I had it set up.

Zirc is also better for blind wand chained bowls, when I didn't have any functioning indicators, I just heated the second bowl while drawing on it. Because it's a more stable slow window with the Zirc, it was easy to catch it just right without combustion. This is irrelevant for the full release models, but is just an indication of the how the ball material affects operation.

But in short, for anything other than single hit, full lunged DTL hits, I put in Zirc. This is my subjective take however. But my logic is simply that if I want a more casual multi hit joint like experience, then I want the larger extraction window. Often I might have the tempest head in half bowl mode, on a j-hook or small bubbler, and in this instance I prefer boro, simply because it will get the job done, and shave 5-6 seconds of the heat up time.

Last edited:

PrematureEvaporation

Zirc is also better for blind wand chained bowls, when I didn't have any functioning indicators, I just heated the second bowl while drawing on it. Because it's a more stable slow window with the Zirc, it was easy to catch it just right without combustion. This is irrelevant for the full release models, but is just an indication of the how the ball material affects operation.

I think this has sold me to be honest. As you probably know, the TA has no indicators and goes very much by feel. Having a slower and wider window would be very advantageous for my application. I’m pretty good at creeping up on “the line” vapman style, but it’s inevitable that slight variance in outside temperature and flame variance on the torch can sometimes push it a hair into charring territory.

I tend to run my TA in a revolve stem with a carbless wooden sleeve and a very restrictive airflow through the TA itself. The added conduction of the TA makes it great for full nugs and hash, so my airflow settings are such that it welcomes that conduction. Big fan of hybrid effects, I just don’t feel like I’m “there” with conduction or convection only.

One final question, have you used the SiC? Back in the early days of the TA thread it was said to be the best material for quick, heavy hits. In my eyes this also suggests it’s quite twitchy and spiky in a thermal sense.

I’m curious though, it could be fun as a second option - the Zirc and SiC seem as if they sit at the extremes on opposing ends of the spectrum.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

RedZep

I think this has sold me to be honest. As you probably know, the TA has no indicators and goes very much by feel. Having a slower and wider window would be very advantageous for my application. I’m pretty good at creeping up on “the line” vapman style, but it’s inevitable that slight variance in outside temperature and flame variance on the torch can sometimes push it a hair into charring territory.

I tend to run my TA in a revolve stem with a carbless wooden sleeve and a very restrictive airflow through the TA itself. The added conduction of the TA makes it great for full nugs and hash, so my airflow settings are such that it welcomes that conduction. Big fan of hybrid effects, I just don’t feel like I’m “there” with conduction or convection only.

One final question, have you used the SiC? Back in the early days of the TA thread it was said to be the best material for quick, heavy hits. In my eyes this also suggests it’s quite twitchy and spiky in a thermal sense.

I’m curious though, it could be fun as a second option - the Zirc and SiC seem as if they sit at the extremes on opposing ends of the spectrum.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it
If you like having the stem airflow closed up, I recommend having the Tempest tip airflow half open. Gives really nice results. Even if you close of the stem airflow completely, the tip airflow can change the experience in a big way. Learning how the settings combine is a big part of the learning experience and can be daunting at first, but it's not hard to find a configuration that gets you good results from day 1, and from there you can experiment.

I have not tried SiC. However the people in this thread who are experimenting don't seem completely sure on it yet. Or at least have not dialed it in.

Fox

I want this song to be played during the checkout when the official release day comes! :D
Very happy I grabbed the beta version, worth every penny! The hype is real ya'll!
Because this is about music, have you also noticed the (hype) of listening to the music's pitch A in 432Hz instead of 440Hz, as introduced about 100 years ago? YouTube has some audio samples, maybe the topic is worth its own page. I would really be interested in your impressions!

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Because this is about music, have you also noticed the (hype) of listening to the music's pitch A in 432Hz instead of 440Hz, as introduced about 100 years ago? YouTube has some audio samples, maybe the topic is worth its own page. I would really be interested in your impressions!
Very interesting, never heard about this! Checked few samples and 432Hz definitely sounds softer, warmer and more enjoyable to me!

BushRanger,
Reactions: Fox

PrematureEvaporation

If you like having the stem airflow closed up, I recommend having the Tempest tip airflow half open. Gives really nice results. Even if you close of the stem airflow completely, the tip airflow can change the experience in a big way. Learning how the settings combine is a big part of the learning experience and can be daunting at first, but it's not hard to find a configuration that gets you good results from day 1, and from there you can experiment.

I have not tried SiC. However the people in this thread who are experimenting don't seem completely sure on it yet. Or at least have not dialed it in.
I’ll definitely have a play with the airflow on the tip. I kind of set it and forget it when I first got it and should go back and revisit. Probably some interesting effects I’ve left on the table there.

I’ve messed with stem airflow in the past but it seems to serve no real purpose outside of diluting the vapour with fresh air for cooling purposes. The revolve cools so well already that I keep it closed. Seems more useful with DV’s where convective cooling can be a real issue on certain tips. I’m open to the idea that I’m ignorant of the other purposes though.

Thanks for your opinion on SiC. I did try to search the thread but the search function on here is pretty poor and doesn’t work with small words and abbreviations. SiC being just that.

PrematureEvaporation,
Reactions: RedZep

Atom Flower

Hello vapers! joining in to learn about this awesome device :rockon:
Cleaning and assembly are going slower than expected, but we are still on track for the end of the month.

hi Brenyo,
this is on top of my shopping list as the small bowl of the well known brand of portable is too small for me. The balls are definitely the icing on the cake here :)
i am already on your mailing list as well as on the Notify Me lists of EU vendors!!! I am pleased to see you will be offering the head separately from day one (?).. unlike a certain well known brand....

I am not going to tire you with the usual "when is it coming" question. I apologize if some of these questions have been answered but this is a long thread:

- Does the head fit DV stems?

- Could you film a drop test, by dropping the Tempest from head height while standing, onto a hard concrete or stone pavement a few times? Not throwing but just letting drop as if it slipped out of your mouth.... I am concerned about the durability of the indicators since the Tempest will always land head first when dropped (heaviest end). My DV cap has been dented by dropping like this, but still clicks.

-Why is there a video on removing the indicators? How easy is to damage them by missing the mark and firing them with a jet lighter?

- will the Tempest come with a heat- proof case so I can slip it in straight after using and put it in my pocket without having to wait to cool down? This is essential for me for a portable as i may often vape in the hammock (synthetic fabric) or in public places. The wooden slimstash cases are perfect and have been an integral part of the DV experience...

-is there an integrated tool for emptying the bowl out when the roasted herb is stuck and cannot be blown out?

Cheers

Atom Flower,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
- Does the head fit DV stems?
Yes

I am concerned about the durability of the indicators since the Tempest will always land head first when dropped (heaviest end). My DV cap has been dented by dropping like this, but still clicks.
It won’t dent like a DV cap, this is way thicker and sturdier. You’d probably need to hit it with a hammer to bend it and even then you can buy the parts separately and replace it.

-Why is there a video on removing the indicators? How easy is to damage them by missing the mark and firing them with a jet lighter?
The beta versions came without calibrated indicators so the customers who got it early will need to install the final ones. It’s not easy to heat it directly and damage it unless you do it on purpose, but even if it happens somehow you can replace it.

- will the Tempest come with a heat- proof case so I can slip it in straight after using and put it in my pocket without having to wait to cool down?
Yes, it comes with a heat-proof leather case

-is there an integrated tool for emptying the bowl out when the roasted herb is stuck and cannot be blown out?
Not integrated, but there is a debowler / screwdriver tool in the leather case or the Reload

Atom Flower

Yes, it comes with a heat-proof leather case
Thanks for the answers, that's all spot-on and i'm glad it meets my expectations. Seems like someone is really good at industrial design and the titanium milling machines have really evolved! It would be awesome to see some of the action at the factory..:tup:

That is not how physics works, just fyi

thanks but i was just asking the manufacturer a few questions.. I 'm good on the physics front.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

Cheers

Not integrated, but there is a debowler / screwdriver tool in the leather case or the Reload
We haven't actually seen the leather case yet, but this is where those of us who have been here for a while will highly recommend the Reload. The Reload is a companion piece to the Tempest which, though not essential, is a very wise investment to include in your purchase. It makes handling the head when it's hot simple and includes various tools that make the Tempest much easier to manage, including a screwdriver (which is also a debowler spike) that helps you remove the ball screen for switching out or deep cleaning the balls and a very strong magnet that makes reloading a hot Tempest simple and painless. That, of course, is all besides the two or three chambers for carrying multiple strains and ABV with you.

Not to belabor the point, but I have found that I now carry the Reload with me, whether or not I am carrying a Tempest, pretty much whenever I leave the house..

Last edited:

TDW710

We haven't actually seen the leather case yet
This iteration was shared by @Brenyo previously:

Yes, got plenty put away for the launch and the resellers.

Yes, hopefully it will be ready soon. Pre orders will start at the same time on both websites.

Stitching like on the top, but the leather quality is not good on that one, just below. The debolwer will have a better finish and the logo.

Atom Flower

well .. I am going to lose that tool immediately so my suggestion is to move the hole to the other end, so it can be neatly attached to a piece of string or chain. But only if this does not delay the release of the Tempest, lol.... I use a desktop ball vape at home so the DV tastes really bad now ... a better portable is needed quite urgently :nod:

Ideally the tool would be attached to the Tempest ... without raising a tempest of lawyers :haw: alternatively, some kind of clip-on design so it can be attached to the leather case. a small pocket could be sawn onto the leather case for it, etc....

Atom Flower,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Ideally the tool would be attached to the Tempest ... without raising a tempest of lawyers :haw: alternatively, some kind of clip-on design so it can be attached to the leather case. a small pocket could be sawn onto the leather case for it, etc....
The first design was attached to the Tempest but it didn’t look great.
There is a “pocket” in the leather case for the tool, it’s not loose

HaggisHunter

Could you film a drop test, by dropping the Tempest from head height while standing, onto a hard concrete or stone pavement a few times? Not throwing but just letting drop as if it slipped out of your mouth.... I am concerned about the durability of the indicators since the Tempest will always land head first when dropped (heaviest end). My DV cap has been dented by dropping like this, but still clicks.
Mines has taken a battering more than once. It goes everywhere with me.
I dropped it last week on the pavement and it bounced several times, it was a really nasty tumble, a slope on paving slabs, it just kept going...
It's basically fine. The ball screen became dislodged and when I opened it the balls rolled out but other than that functionally it was fine.
There is a slight scratch on the very edge of the mouthpiece, but you can't only really feel it, doesn't really show up.

It's going to need a good impact to damage it. You'll be fine.

Dropped a DV at a bus stop and the cap was also crushed, but mine didn't work, the bowl was also slightly ovalised.
Luck of the draw.

grognard3r

Who has a Scruffy Woofers cooling stand? Where did the outfit move? They are no longer on Etsy.

If anyone knows how to get in touch with them, please PM me or post here.

Having something to speed up cooling time down on your Tempest head will be useful to newcomers. That particular stand by Scruffy Woofers is perfect. Some users have posted pictures of it with their Tempest.

Another tip: you will certainly want to deep clean your balls. I tried the liquid Sugar Soap method, and it impressed me. It cleaned up my dirty balls, and they soaked 3 days to get all the crud off. They were DIRTY.

My former method is not so good (with flame only). It scorched my black tip (my fault), and the balls--upon taking them out to soak in Sugar Soap--were NOT clean. When you get your new Tempest, have some of that liquid Sugar Soap on hand. You can tell the taste pops more with a cleaned out tip. (I didn't want to put "taste" and "balls" in the same sentence.)

Another thing: think of your Tempest as an expedition of sorts. You get to play around with so many different settings on just the Tempest. The different kinds of balls are neat, and I look forward to trying them all. Without new balls, though, your Tempest has at least a dozen different configurations. I actually kind of envy new owners because they get to explore all the cool possibilities with their new vape. Oh, other settings outside the Tempest include Wand "temp" and adapter depth. Throw in different kinds of sleeves, and you have a party.

It will take some time to find your personal preference, but enjoy the ride as you do! It's a vape you will have a honeymoon with... and the honeymoon never ends.

grognard3r,
Reactions: RedZep

kegstandman420

I've had best results dumping half the balls out onto a spoon and torching with a flame while moving the balls around on the spoon. Literally takes less than 5 minutes with chazzed balls. 3 pack of spoons at dollar tree is all you really need lol. Taking the tempest with me to ocean city MD tomorrow woohoo!

RatSkull7316

Hey @Brenyo on the website you guys said no custom charges for US if the order is under 800usd in value. Does that mean ordering to US is cheaper than to Canada, and maybe even cheaper than to some European countries?

RatSkull7316,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I've had best results dumping half the balls out onto a spoon and torching with a flame while moving the balls around on the spoon.
I do the same, but with a serving spoon I never use so I dump the whole head worth and I don't have to worry about losing any balls. I don't remember who first recommended it, but it works very well.

The best way for me to get them back in the head is to pour them into my hand and move the head to pick them up. But don't do what I did once when too high and I spilled them into my hand long before they had cooled enough for touching flesh. I felt like I had 80 something little burns in my palm as a result of the two or three seconds It took my brain to calculate whether I could withstand the pain, or if I had to allow them to drop onto my carpet potentially getting lost or melting the nylon. After those two or three seconds, of course, the decision was made for me.

So don't do that. The zirconium might take a little longer to cool than you'd expect, unless, of course, you were actually thinking about what it was and how it behaves.

sedentree

I do - he was blocked on Esty and can't list there but I believe you can reach him on Instagram (here)

I don't know why people are trying so hard to clean the stains off the Zrc balls *shrugs*

Yep, you can DM them on Instagram, I actually contacted Scruffy Woofers there myself on Monday and should be getting my stand for the Verdavap today ✌️

sedentree,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Yep, you can DM them on Instagram, I actually contacted Scruffy Woofers there myself on Monday and should be getting my stand for the Verdavap today ✌️
you were the one :) I was wondering who it was - my TA4 size fits perfectly

VapingYogi,

HaggisHunter

Has anyone cracked any balls when torching them clean?

I couldn't be bothered cleaning them yesterday, so put them in a tea strainer and torched them clean, that's when one cracked in half. Nothing to intense, heated them for about 30 seconds or so. Torch isn't that big either, little kitchen type torch rather than the bigger ones some use.

Not sure if the tumble it had the other week may have done something to the one that cracked.

Also, the replacement indicator housing and induction sleeve I received, it feels like it's helping to retain heat for longer than the original ones I had.
After fitting them on Friday, I noticed that it's now a tighter fit in the scruffy woofer stand I've got, it also takes longer to cool in it.

Not a problem, just something I've noticed.

With all the chat on the little stands, they can be customised as well. I have a design for the double I want to ask about.

Also tried the Boro balls last night. Back to back bowls I've not got dialled in yet. Either getting close to charring or not enough of a roast.
Going to stick with them for a couple of days, but I think I'll use them for water pieces etc. They do seem to be a good at emptying the bowl really quickly.

HaggisHunter,

kokolokokolokon

Also tried the Boro balls last night. Back to back bowls I've not got dialled in yet. Either getting close to charring or not enough of a roast.
Going to stick with them for a couple of days, but I think I'll use them for water pieces etc. They do seem to be a good at emptying the bowl really quickly.
with the boro balls you need to use less material or, at least, move the material away from the top of the bowl. The boro kills the bowl faster than the zirc but you need to know how to use them

Top Bottom