The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Jojofernz

I think the Forge is probably for power users, who have multiple compatible vapes. @VapingYogi has Tempest, TA's, Anvil and maybe some others for example. So it's quite a sound investment for him.

I'm not tempted myself, as i only have thr Tempest that is compatible. I'm loving the wand, even though there are better experiences out there.
Absolutely! Not trying to talk down to anyone who purchased. So many things in this vape space are priced surprisingly to those not accustomed to it. I get so many faces, and opinions from combustion buddies about my vapes that are $200, $300, $400+ and know it’s a pretty specific hobby. So I take back any judgement I may have implied about the price. In the world of vape it’s just another item and not too bad especially for it to grant such quick and powerful performance out of many vapes!

TedJones

Is the bowl surrounded by the coil alongside the cap in any of these IHs?

Want max conduction .. pre-heat bowl with a far away flame, load herb carefully, strap on cap, heat with preferred method :brow::lol:

TedJones,
Reactions: ezpz

RedZep

For those of you looking to get a Flare for the Tempest (just ordered mine)

I am addicted to using the Forge so I am a new Induction Heater fan...

I loved the Tempest before I got a beefy IH, but since I got one its been a different animal and I would recommend getting a beefier IH to pair with it

Brilliantly, that's how I use it at home
I look forward to your views on the flare. You are definitely the resident IH expert it seems.

TankeyPankey

Anyone changed ball type, and found it affected the vape signature?

I just changed to boro 2.5 and I swear the high is different. Same dose, same material. Anyone feel similar?
I was actually just getting on to ask a similar question. The Tempest preorder page says you can get free boro or zirc balls on preorders. Default is zirc, so the option is either more zirc balls in case you lose any, or boro for a potentially different ball experience that you can switch out.

The website says the following: "Higher density balls (stainless steel/zirc) can store the heat longer and provide a smoother experience due to the slower temperature buildup. Lower density (boro/silicone) balls heat up more quickly and can deliver a punchier hit."

I'm leaning towards getting the extra boro in case it's different, but I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experience with different types of balls.

RedZep

I was actually just getting on to ask a similar question. The Tempest preorder page says you can get free boro or zirc balls on preorders. Default is zirc, so the option is either more zirc balls in case you lose any, or boro for a potentially different ball experience that you can switch out.

The website says the following: "Higher density balls (stainless steel/zirc) can store the heat longer and provide a smoother experience due to the slower temperature buildup. Lower density (boro/silicone) balls heat up more quickly and can deliver a punchier hit."

I'm leaning towards getting the extra boro in case it's different, but I'm curious to hear if anyone else has experience with different types of balls.
I've been doing single hit, DTL full lungfulls today. I prefer the experience of that with boro. The high feels more cerebral, and hits faster.

Zirc is better for extended sessions, where you want to casually take multiple smaller puffs. Also better for hash.

If you want to use it in both scenarios, then go for both. However consider that changing the balls is not completely without friction. It's not something you would enjoy doing multiple times a day at all.

I can see myself keeping in boro when using in the house, as I use it like a ball vape. Big lungfull full extraction hits. But then swap for Zirc when I'm going hiking/camping.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Changing the balls is not a really big deal, but it is certainly not something I want to do all the time. I currently take them out to clean them periodically because using a torch seems to be the most effective cleaning method to get the best clean, but I usually soak the head in ISO to clean as it's easier. Getting the ball disk to thread properly is sometimes a challenge, so I wouldn't want this to be a daily or especially a multi times a day habit. I have picked up a second set of zirconium balls, but I haven't had any reason to use them yet. I have been thinking about trying glass or SIC but haven't yet bothered. When I pick up a second head after they're available I will have the opportunity to fill it with a different material and I wont have to swap the balls in and out to A B the materials to evaluate whether I find more value in one or the other. Apparently Brenyo is going to make that easy by offering a second set of balls for the preorder customers (thanks Brenyo). It seems logical to me that the biggest benefits between different ball material may apply best to whether or not one is using the device on a stem or on a piece of glass. It may well be that I prefer one material for my stem when out and about in one material for my glass when sitting at home, and having a second head would make that much easier.

RedZep

Changing the balls is not a really big deal, but it is certainly not something I want to do all the time. I currently take them out to clean them periodically because using a torch seems to be the most effective cleaning method to get the best clean, but I usually soak the head in ISO to clean as it's easier. Getting the ball disk to thread properly is sometimes a challenge, so I wouldn't want this to be a daily or especially a multi times a day habit. I have picked up a second set of zirconium balls, but I haven't had any reason to use them yet. I have been thinking about trying glass or SIC but haven't yet bothered. When I pick up a second head after they're available I will have the opportunity to fill it with a different material and I wont have to swap the balls in and out to A B the materials to evaluate whether I find more value in one or the other. Apparently Brenyo is going to make that easy by offering a second set of balls for the preorder customers (thanks Brenyo). It seems logical to me that the biggest benefits between different ball material may apply best to whether or not one is using the device on a stem or on a piece of glass. It may well be that I prefer one material for my stem when out and about in one material for my glass when sitting at home, and having a second head would make that much easier.
Yeah I would like to have a Tempest head with boro, on a WPA in my living room. Another with Zirc on the ti stem for portable, and in the garden.

DaBouse

Stupid question time: for the small amount of humans that own an induction stove top, does anyone know if it’s safe to heat the tempest on low setting and set the head on the burner? Assuming my burner is even recognized a tempest and doesn’t auto shut off.

DaBouse,
  • Haha
Reactions: Fireball2k

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Stupid question time: for the small amount of humans that own an induction stove top, does anyone know if it’s safe to heat the tempest on low setting and set the head on the burner? Assuming my burner is even recognized a tempest and doesn’t auto shut off.
Was wondering that myself but moved to a place without an induction stove so I can’t test! At best it’ll be slow since it’s much smaller than the pans they expect to be used and the cooktop will just be heating the bottom of the device rather than bottom and sides. At worst I’d expect the surface glass to stress or break earlier than expected due to the heat being concentrated into a small point rather than spread across the cooking surface.

Octavia,

TangibleHangnail

Mine does not detect anything that small. (Tried with an Anvil, no Tempest yet.)

cupcakes

The Tempest and my Vapcaps are the only vapes that I have that really use induction heating. While the Wand with a decent adapter does a good job with the VCs, I usually use one of my Pipes IHs for them so I don't have to switch adapters. I do still use them. If, like some of the users in here, the Tempest had become my one and only vape to use, it might make sense to spend a lot more money on a higher end IH. Given that the Tempest is only one of the vapes I use, and the Wand works pretty well with it, it's going to be hard to rationalize buying an expensive IH for it (me).

Added: Forgive me. I use IHs for my Tempest, my Vap Caps, and my Revolves, of which I have a couple of both Gens. I tend to think of my Revolves as Vapcaps because they still use the cap and tip.
Sorry just to confirm, does this mean the tempest does fit Pipe's IHs? I have the cauldron and wanted to make sure I didn't need to pick up the wand.

cupcakes,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
No. The Tempest head is too large to fit in Pipes receivers on either my PSM or my JarHead. I still use these devices for my Vapcaps (and Revolves), but for my Tempest, I only have the Wand. I don't have a Cauldron, but I'm pretty sure the receiver is the same size as the other Pipes devices.

cybrguy,
Reactions: cupcakes

grognard3r

Quick comment about the Wand: it works fine. I have been using the Tempest with the Wand since early December of 23. Before that, I used a torch on Dinovaps because the torch hit harder. With the Tempest and the Wand, I get MUCH harder hits than with any previous vape.

Messing around with lighters is a pain for my lifestyle. Before the Tempest, I used torches out of necessity to get the hits I wanted, but that era is now over for me, thanks to my Tempests.

If anything, I'd suggest saving your money and getting a Reload, a backup Tempest, and/or a backup Wand for the price of a new IH. Look at it this way: I think there is a GOOD reason Mad sells an adapter specifically for the Wand. By the way, I am not knocking anybody who is in the market for a heavy duty IH. I just think most new Tempest users will be best served with a Wand, especially if portability and stealth rank high on their "must be able to do" criteria for a vaporizer. Take it from me: you can get well baked with a Tempest and a Wand.

But I am biased, too, as I have been using the Wand-Tempest combo for 7 months. It's kind of an easy habit.

Before Mad Heaters was able to better calibrate the clicks and VI, the Wand made it possible to get the best experience out of the Tempest. Because the clicks and VI were inaccurate, and this has been fixed for the upcoming release, the only (reliable) way to use the Tempest was with a Wand, at least for me.

The new click disks are awesome. One click goes off midway (when the VI hits the middle mark); at this point, the blinking red Wand light turns solid. The second/end click goes off right after the Wand solid light turns off in its "time out" signal. The VI is as far to the right as it can go for this last click/Wand lights out.

Last edited:

TedJones

Anyone changed ball type, and found it affected the vape signature?

I just changed to boro 2.5 and I swear the high is different. Same dose, same material. Anyone feel similar?
Was just using the boro for about a week. They get HOT like the sic, but without that distinct taste I get w/sic. Was RTL on the normal 2nd VI mark so had to tone it down. Cleaned up my scorched up zircs and threw them back in .. my preference for this vape:tup:

Top Bottom