The Screwball by Vapvana

Shafty

Seems to me with many of these small and innovative companies there's a constant balancing act of managing their product(s) vs managing their customers vs managing their business. Each element effect the others, and the balance is constantly changing as external factors often unpredictable occur, while often having to learn many new skills as they go. So to expect the same sort of service as from large established profit engines is not really realistic.

They comprise a whole ecosystem of their own, and as pointed out provide us with products that would be unlikely to see the light of day otherwise, and in our turn, we give these companies a chance to thrive by investing in them by buying their gear. It's a game of give and take. Without accepting the fact we act almost like investors for the company and in return take certain risks (such as customer service sometimes suffering) and in return we get shit to play with that few others even know exists.

So when I see Vapvana bring out one of the best ball vapes currently at a price that few other equivalent products can match, if I get a bad o-ring, that's something I can source myself if need be and hardly expensive. It's not like having to spend $50 or $100 on a new part. To expect a tiny brand new company to be perfect on everything is not realistic or reasonable.
The exception I saw here was the failed Pid, that ought to have been a no-brainer to get replaced asap. But if an o-ring is going to create paroxysms of anger against the company, maybe this cutting edge stuff isn't the best place to be? Stick to a Mighty or whatever?
Right? Like, where's the human empathy here? These are our bros! They're making stuff we wouldn't have dreamed of years ago. To do it all on likely a tiny budget is impressive. If it's a quality product, and the interactions are respectful, my patience is relatively unlimited. No point getting worked up over TED gear.

Is the issue a seal leaking dye or is that even confirmed? I haven't seen that before in my own work(hydraulic service). There's likely a plain black seal that would fit as well.

General Disaster

A Total disMember
You nailed it pretty much how I feel Orings a whatever I can find my own. It was the PID thing that had me concerned.
While I'm the last person to comment on how to run a business (other than running it into the ground! 😁) I have to wonder whether they expanded the product range too fast, and it's caught up with them in some way. Hopefully the new staff will get on top of things soon, it must feel awful to have that pressure of customer concern's on your back.

Right? Like, where's the human empathy here? These are our bros!
I can understand the frustration of dashed expectations, especially with the ol' Vape Acquisition/Anxiety Syndrome racking up the tension, but feedback is much more productive without the high emotions in the content.

General Disaster,

Shafty

I can understand the frustration of dashed expectations, especially with the ol' Vape Acquisition/Anxiety Syndrome racking up the tension, but feedback is much more productive without the high emotions in the content.
My take is that there are some addiction and anxiety issues tied into it. I don't like that some people vent those frustrations on others. If they get worked up over it, maybe it's time for some self reflection.

People react as though a dialog isn't possible, instead of acting curious and asking questions.

Any point moving from a CH Moab to the wireless Screwball?

Shafty,

Mr.Grumpy

Right? Like, where's the human empathy here? These are our bros! They're making stuff we wouldn't have dreamed of years ago. To do it all on likely a tiny budget is impressive. If it's a quality product, and the interactions are respectful, my patience is relatively unlimited. No point getting worked up over TED gear.

Is the issue a seal leaking dye or is that even confirmed? I haven't seen that before in my own work(hydraulic service). There's likely a plain black seal that would fit as well.
Those rings are a special high temp compound. Remember these orings must be able to take whatever heat setting the coil is set to, including a long duration heat soak. A normal black buna-n oring won't cut it. And trying to source high temp orings in small amounts from a manufacturer is $$$$.

General Disaster

A Total disMember
My take is that there are some addiction and anxiety issues tied into it.
If those things really are factors (and I suspect there are a whole variety of reasons), then you have to allow for their impact on the subconscious mind. Addiction alone is a hugely powerful, poorly understood process. It's stems from natural processes being taken beyond their limits of regulation in the body so expecting normal thought patterns (whatever a normal thought pattern is! 😉) won't help. Addictive behaviour can generate all sorts of unsocial behaviour, but may well not be perceived by that person. Calling them out for it, even if correct (especially if correct!), usually just puts people on the defensive and in denial.

People react as though a dialog isn't possible, instead of acting curious and asking questions.
I understand what you're saying, and you're not way off the mark, but some people don't understand this or even realise they do it. Sometimes gentle suggestions can be better than accusation and diminution of them and their actions even if grievous. Some people never get taught many of the rules about interacting, plus, strong emotions often blind people to the reality of the situation. I'm aware of this in myself where I can get very angry and frustrated over something and it's taken time to learn to try not to respond during that period, but wait for the adrenalin to subside.

@Shafty ...
I would just buy the Ace housing if I were interested in that. You aren't going to see any benefit moving to the crossing PID controller.
I'd be inclined to agree. I tried my old CH pid with my screwball, even recalibrated the pid for it, but although the CH pid gave a far more precise realtime temperature reading (couldn't say if accuracy was any better or worse) with the readout following the change of temp in the coil and ball-head, it was quite a bit slower to heat up, and in the end I found the matched pid worked better, once I'd understood the different way it reads out the temperature, like allowing a few mins after it reads the correct temp as the read out won't show the smaller variations as it equalises.
(Caveat - I don't leave my 'ball running, turn it on, use it, turn it off; so a fast heat up is better in that situation.)

Last edited:

Shafty

We don't need to debate whether any FC users have a THC addiction, it's a certainty. I make no judgement either way on it. Notice my lack of detail in that. I'm not addressing that any further in this thread. PM if you want.

When I see hyperbolic comments about minor issues, it's not hard to imagine the toxic interactions I've had working as CS. I've been on the losing end and it sucks your energy, time, and motivation. I try to be diplomatic, and it's usually effective, however, the work needs to get done, and I only have 2 hands. I'll bet they are quite stressed pushing for their delivery dates at Vapvana.

Back to the Screwball, and let's keep it there.
Vapvana says Viton, so there should be black replacement options. I'm waiting for the size.

EasyVape

Just received replacement hybrid bowls (the first warranty claim they just sent out the o-rings). Testing the new hybrid bowls I notice an improvement in the way the glass insert sits. It now pops in and out with just the right amount of snugness. I'll need more time testing the o-rings in iso but they do seem a bit more dense.

Shafty

How are you "testing" the orings in IPA? What %?Why?

Viton is rated for it. You don't have to guess on this, there are charts all over.

Glass is harder than Ti. The ti rubs off like cutlery in a ceramic bowl. I get the same thing in ground joints with a Shovelhead ti bowl.

EasyVape

How are you "testing" the orings in IPA? What %?Why?

Viton is rated for it. You don't have to guess on this, there are charts all over.

Glass is harder than Ti. The ti rubs off like cutlery in a ceramic bowl. I get the same thing in ground joints with a Shovelhead ti bowl.
IPA soak and q-tip swab. The reason I'm testing has to do with a customer/FC member reporting the o-rings received from a warranty claim still bleed green pigment when swabbed with IPA. If you scroll up a bit you can read the comment on pg 59 of this thread.

EasyVape,

Shafty

IPA soak and q-tip swab. The reason I'm testing has to do with a customer/FC member reporting the o-rings received from a warranty claim still bleed green pigment when swabbed with IPA. If you scroll up a bit you can read the comment on pg 59 of this thread.
Ah. Even if the seals are rated for it, I think if you do that very often you'll degrade them.

Those sound like silicone or another material. No surprise they leaked pigment with IPA exposure. Green hnbr or colored viton generally don't do this. Black viton has no dye.

Shafty,
Reactions: EasyVape

Walter Bishop

You don't need to soak anything. Dip a Q-tip in iso, swab the O-Rings right where they sit in the bowl. They will bleed green right onto the Q-tip. My originals did. My replacements did as well.

EasyVape

I'm curious how everyone using the hybrid bowls manages the cleaning process. It appears the removal of the o-rings can damage them over time. Ideally there would be an access slot cut into the o-ring slots for easy removal/cleaning but in the current form these are nearly impossible to remove without causing some o-ring damage.

Looking at the current situation with the inserts and warranty/replacements it appears lube was applied to the o-rings or o-ring slots. I can see the glass insert covers this space up so it’s not actually in the air path when in use. Do most of you just swab out the top area of the bowl in the air path and insert with IPA and flush with another swab dipped in water? No need to take out the o-rings and clean/swab the entire hybrid bowl area with the o-rings because the insert covers them up?

EasyVape,

TedJones

I'm curious how everyone using the hybrid bowls manages the cleaning process.

I leave it assembled and do an iso swab. rinse, and call it done.
Still this. I’m not needing to change to the smaller connectors. Don’t believe any buildup or whatnot is happening between the outer glass and bowl (not in the air path). I’ll remove it from the larger bowl next time it needs a cleaning to inspect 👍

Top Bottom