The Screwball by Vapvana

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Its been a while since I have had a working screwball, been waiting on a warranty PID for a few months (since june) but that arrived broken - so I am waiting for a warranty PID again... having had the screwball sitting not being used for so long I have noticed that the coils have started to show degradation of some kind and there is spots all over it which isn't on any of my other coils - which is a bit strange.

I did get the hybrid bowls at the time I got the damaged PID and while I don't have a screwball working (I have the new housing as well but I haven't had the chance to use it) to use the new bowls with - I have been trialing them out with another diffuser and the microdose bowl is decent - if a bit annoying to fill being so shallow and small and I prefer the microdose bowl when it has been pre-heated before you add the herbs so I have been heating it on top of my diffuser in the same coil.

I was considering getting the screwball wireless diffuser and have been following the wireless development with a bit of excitement - but I think the direction its gone in is for someone other than me. The heavy convection lean of the glass ace bowl, the full hybrid bowl and even the design of the screwball diffuser making it hard to pre-heat the wireless diffuser and the bowl at the same time (unless you want to set up another coil and PID). I like the ability to chance the connection but I only have 18mm connections. More than anything I just don't get the same extraction with the full hybrid bowl for me compared to the previous titanium bowl.

In truth, the delay in the warranty PID and being unable to use the screwball for months is probably colouring my opinion but *shrugs* I am disappointed - disillusioned - having been a vocal fan up until now.

Rodney

Its been a while since I have had a working screwball, been waiting on a warranty PID for a few months (since june) but that arrived broken - so I am waiting for a warranty PID again... having had the screwball sitting not being used for so long I have noticed that the coils have started to show degradation of some kind and there is spots all over it which isn't on any of my other coils - which is a bit strange.

I did get the hybrid bowls at the time I got the damaged PID and while I don't have a screwball working (I have the new housing as well but I haven't had the chance to use it) to use the new bowls with - I have been trialing them out with another diffuser and the microdose bowl is decent - if a bit annoying to fill being so shallow and small and I prefer the microdose bowl when it has been pre-heated before you add the herbs so I have been heating it on top of my diffuser in the same coil.

I was considering getting the screwball wireless diffuser and have been following the wireless development with a bit of excitement - but I think the direction its gone in is for someone other than me. The heavy convection lean of the glass ace bowl, the full hybrid bowl and even the design of the screwball diffuser making it hard to pre-heat the wireless diffuser and the bowl at the same time (unless you want to set up another coil and PID). I like the ability to chance the connection but I only have 18mm connections. More than anything I just don't get the same extraction with the full hybrid bowl for me compared to the previous titanium bowl.

In truth, the delay in the warranty PID and being unable to use the screwball for months is probably colouring my opinion but *shrugs* I am disappointed - disillusioned - having been a vocal fan up until now.

Really sorry to hear this and hope you get it sorted ASAP. Having to wait this long after paying for the device is ridiculous and needs addressed.

Mickk

Final Thoughts​

For anyone that has been a part of our journey so far, I want to thank you from the bottom of heart. I am grateful for the opportunity to make products that people enjoy using, and have a lot of exciting things in the works.

Again, I apologize if your expectations have not been met at any point during the past year. If that's the case, please reach out and we will do our best to make things right.

Moving forward, updates may be limited during the upcoming holiday season. We are working on a doing a rebrand and launching a new website before things get busier.

Cheers,
Cal
Stories like these:

Are a testament that you still dont have the basics in order. Please reconsider that rebrand for now, and first take care of your current customers. Rather than trying to catch more people with a fancy new website and packaging...

Rodney

Well I am very very happy with my screwball and had no issues at all with it as are most people, however there are a few people who are rightly not 100% happy with their product and the general thinking is that customers especially from this forum (as this is where the retailers watch to know what is good and not) should have their issues resolved before any rebrand.

Like you can still do the rebrand just please think about resolving the members here issues ASAP especially the guy who kept telling us all "buy a screwball you will not be disappointed" Also the member above (waiting since June) should be a priority.

The guy who you hired as customer relations should be making an account here or using your account and dealing with these people NOW so they can then come tell us "it has been resolved and they are happy" meaning more people will buy a screwball.

We all Love the screwball but we need much more communication and the guys who posted above need to be PM and helped ASAP as they helped by promoting and buying the product.

The last thing is most here used the discount code on the website as it was easier to copy paste and 95% of the people who bought a Screwball did so after reading about it here OR from reddit after reddit members read about it here then bought one and posted on reddit about it.

Mine is on all day and I love using it and I just hope @Vapvana can help the guys who bought one and cant get using it doing so also.

TedJones

😨
As we continue to grow we unfortunately have to start choosing where to put resources, and may not be as active here as people would like.
That’s fine & understandable for growth but it’s not hard to copy/paste from your IG, Reddit, or whatever, to here. Others do.
During the growth spurt these past few months there has been some unintentional 'collateral damage' with customer service. I apologize if our service hasn't met your expectations during the transition of getting Beau into place.

If you placed an order and are unhappy for any reason please reach out through our website and we will do our best to make things right.
Have people been emailing .. or just posting here?
More than anything I just don't get the same extraction with the full hybrid bowl for me compared to the previous titanium bowl.
I’m not noticing too much of a difference. Is it the Ti joint connection maybe? Think I remember you trying pre-heat maybe..
Also the member above (waiting since June) should be a priority.
Agree!
Am using the hybrid bowl with the screen set to the top position as seen in the picture
Something about that thin, yet large diameter of grind close to the heater :brow:

EasyVape

So I feel the same way as VapingYogi regarding the hybrid bowl's performance compared to the all Ti bowl

I feel like you get better conduction and even heating with the all Ti bowl.
Have you tried the all glass Ace bowl with the Screwball? IMO it seems like the glass bowl has the most even heating, however, it does seem to require a longer pre-heat (~15 seconds vs ~37 seconds from my own testing).

Walter Bishop

Have you tried the all glass Ace bowl with the Screwball? IMO it seems like the glass bowl has the most even heating, however, it does seem to require a longer pre-heat (~15 seconds vs ~37 seconds from my own testing).

I do own one, but have only used it on a limited basis because I have a few issues with it's functionality. They're my own issues, but they still prevent me from using it daily.

The first being my daily driver bubbler has an 18mm joint. So to use the Ace bowl, which has a 14mm joint, I have to use the included 18mm adapter. I dislike adapters for two reasons. The first being using it "safely" means using a keck clip, which creates an air gap between the 14mm joint and adapter. I dislike that. Of course I can also use it without the keck clip and get a tighter seal. But then you run the risk when removing the bowl to clear the hit that the adapter sticks and comes out unexpectedly, potentially gets dropped, breaks, etc.

Granted, I could also the adapter with no clip, leave the whole assembly in after the hit, and use the small capped carb hole that protrudes from the side. But I really don't like the diminished airflow though that small hole compared to removing the whole bowl and clearing though the 18mm joint. Not to mention I have to remove the whole bowl to clean the avb out as well as to pack it sometimes. So there's no escaping removing the bowl often anyway.

So again, while I acknowledge these are my own issues, I do find the Ace bowl kind of janky with the adapter, clip, small glass plug, etc. I much prefer the all Ti bowl which is 18mm native, and one single piece that comes in and out easily with no fear of dropping, breakage, etc.

What I haven't done yet, and should, is use the Ace bowl with one of my 14mm pieces. That would remove the need for the adapter and clip altogether. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a go.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I’m not noticing too much of a difference. Is it the Ti joint connection maybe? Think I remember you trying pre-heat maybe..
Firstly I am not using the Screwball and I still don't have one that works as I am waiting on my warranty PID - so that might make a difference.

I currently preheat the bowl on top of a wireless diffuser and then use the two together

I really think preheating the Titanium bowl is way more effective than preheating the hybrid bowl, it feels like there is more conduction and more radiant heat build up that allows for a better extraction; also I notice a LOT of build up of oil in the glass area of the join where as I don't see the same thing on the Titanium bowl.

the microdosing bowl is better than the full bowl (again not using the screwball) as the extract metal seems to help the extraction, but I am still not getting the extraction I am looking for or similar to the titanium bowl..

maybe its just me..

General Disaster

A Total disMember
... I notice a LOT of build up of oil in the glass area of the join where as I don't see the same thing on the Titanium bowl.
Most likely, the o-rings are insulating the glass from the Ti bowl, so the glass being much cooler the vapour will be more likely to condense on the glass.
the microdosing bowl is better than the full bowl (again not using the screwball) as the extract metal seems to help the extraction, but I am still not getting the extraction I am looking for or similar to the titanium bowl..

maybe its just me..
The μ-dose bowl has much more metal so I'd expect it needs longer heat-soak to come to equilibrium at the heaters temperature, and equally, if not heat soaking it it has more capacity to conduct heat away from the airflow and into the metal, but once heat soaked it should stay hot for longer and therefore I'd expect it to work as well or even better, and yet it doesn't seem to (I've not actually measured temps etc, just on observation/usage).
I'm wondering, as little else seems much different, whether the narrower bowl opening (internal diameter) of the μ is causing some sort of venturi related effect that's preventing the more even flow of hot air the normal bowl manages, whereby the restriction causes the velocity of the airflow to increase while the pressure decreases, altering the way the hot air flows through the μ-bowl? (this effect is old-school physics and well know about).

CreatureGlass

I'm curious about this as well, what bowls will all fit it?
I'm expecting dfreeze and a few others to make wood bowls as well
It works fine although it's better not to let go of the screwball handle while using it with a shovelhead bowl as it isn't as deep so the screwball doesn't sit and stay on as well as with its own bowl. I've also used a quartz bowl made for the NV or now CH diffuser style heaters. The quartz one is deeper, and also, the sides of the bowl get smaller towards the top of the bowl. This makes it easy to put the screwball on n stays there a little better than with the shovelhead bowl, but it's still a little precarious to trust and let go. Vapevana have a new quartz bowl due out very soon if not already out so I'd say that would be the best sort to get and will be exactly the right size and is bound to be awesome especially for those flavour chasers as they're called nowadays. 😀

CreatureGlass,
Reactions: Vapor Dude

coolbreeze

Got replacement hybrid bowls and was able to use the 10mm joint finally. It's great to have a 10mm diffuser bowl and the airflow to run recyclers:
IMG-0601.jpg

EasyVape

To anyone that received the replacement o-rings, do the replacements look exactly the same as the originals (same color, density, etc.)? I was under the impression the warranty o-rings are made from black Viton. Also, I noticed some people are getting full bowl replacements while others just get the o-rings. Did the hybrid bowls have any tolerance changes we should know about?

coolbreeze

To anyone that received the replacement o-rings, do the replacements look exactly the same as the originals (same color, density, etc.)? I was under the impression the warranty o-rings are made from black Viton. Also, I noticed some people are getting full bowl replacements while others just get the o-rings. Did the hybrid bowls have any tolerance changes we should know about?
Mine are green, I'm not sure what's different. It seems fairly tight still but much easier/possible to remove.

Walter Bishop

I received new bowls as well as extra O-Rings in the packages. The O-Rings that were installed in the new bowls, as well as the extra one's I received, were the same exact green. I don't know about any tolerance changes, haven't heard anything about that.

lava

I haven't used the new half half glass bowl . Or the ace bowl much but so far I think I like the full metal.bowl best . Maybe because am used it . Wonder what others think .

I have the screwball for like 6months 1st and only ball.vape but I love it use less flower get higher .

Am definitely getting more of tolerance with this as well but not to much . Just the frist month or 2 the full.bowl would kill me now I can handle it .

I normally keep it at 500 F until no more smoke . The. Dump the abv into a jar and later can vape it 1x more . This last week I been going up in temp 550 or more it's risky might combust but wow am way higher at 550 then 500 . I also wouldn't reuse the abv at the 550 plus .

Hope yall doing well . Overall I would say the screwball is great

fcuser1047

I'm using the full hybrid in the half bowl setting. With a 15 sec soak at 495 I can clear it in one hit. The micro was too small for me, and full bowl takes too many hits to clear losing flavor. Ace bowl is too big with the pass through so haven't used it much.

Also, my glass was stuck tight in the bowl like everyone else. After using it for a while the oils from vaping coated the o-rings and made the glass joint loose and wobbly. Cleaned with a qtip and iso and back to normal for a week before having to clean again.

EasyVape

my glass was stuck tight in the bowl like everyone else. After using it for a while the oils from vaping coated the o-rings and made the glass joint loose and wobbly. Cleaned with a qtip and iso and back to normal for a week before having to clean again.
I kinda feel like the all metal Ti bowl is passing my reach test after using the hybrid and glass options. From what I understand the CH Ti bowl doesn't get stuck because the bottom part that interfaces with the bowl is thicker. In my mind, I'm thinking there should be three all metal bowl options (10, 14,18) with a thin top to interface with the heater and provide conduction, fins in the middle to dissipate heat and a thick joint like CH bowls to prevent sticking.

tetsballer

Is the metal dust ring issue specific to this ti bowl or does every ti bowl that touches ground glass joints (such as terp hammer) do this?

tetsballer,
Reactions: EasyVape

Walter Bishop

I've seen glass artists use a Ti "pen" to sign their work on the glass. I assume it's likely impossible to have a sharp angle made of Ti which interfaces with glass that doesn't leave Ti on the glass in some way.

Walter Bishop,
Reactions: tetsballer

Rodney

Did everyone who put in warranty requests for o-rings get theirs? I got my confirmation on the Sept 20th and radio silence. E-mailed them a couple of days ago and still nothing.

sounds familiar and something that should be sorted immediately.

This makes me wonder if something happens to my Screwball and i need to get it sent back for repair under warranty, will they even email me back? I mean we all bought this device and paid a good amount of money for it and that was partly due to the warranty.

@Vapvana can I ask if I have a problem with my Screwball and I email and contact about it being repaired under warranty will you contact me back and will it be repaired as promised on purchase? Just if you are still not getting back to people about o rings then what chance has someone with another problem have? (not that I have one just making sure)

Rodney,
Top Bottom