The Screwball by Vapvana

Rodney

A question please, the 18mm and 14mm Glass Joints that fit into the screwball hybrid bowl, is this a standard piece of glass that I can buy online and get a few spares? if so what it called (is the female end a standard fitting) and what company do you recomend? I live in AUstralia so a local company would be good for postage etc.

you mean this?

This is EU seller, not sure if there is Australian seller.

Rodney,
Reactions: DanTay

DanTay

you mean this?

yes that's the one, will have a look around but it is out of stock for the18mm, so is this something that is common or just made for the screwball?

DanTay,

Pcloudy

yes that's the one, will have a look around but it is out of stock for the18mm, so is this something that is common or just made for the screwball?
So it’s made by crossing tech/whatever company makes crossing tech stuff. Not sure if that helps but it may open some search avenues for you

Pcloudy,
Reactions: DanTay

Galford78

Hi,
I have had the Screwball from Vapvana since Friday, but the question is, if I set the controller to 220°C, for example, where can I measure whether the temperature is correct, directly at the bottom of the heater on the flat ring that rests on the bowl?
I have set the controller to °C and I had to set it to 430 and at the bottom of the ring it was 225°C, measured with a digital thermometer with sensor.
If I set it to 225°C, for example, it would only be around 100°C?
Somehow it doesn't make sense with the controller or am I missing something???

Thanks in advance!

Galford78,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Sorry do you have a picture I dont know what you mean?
Do you have a picture?
PXL-20240507-164237257-2-3.jpg

The very end of the coil is where the thermocouple is that is used to measure the temperature on the PID.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: Octavia

Galford78

Sorry do you have a picture I dont know what you mean?
Do you have a picture?

I
PXL-20240507-164237257-2-3.jpg

The very end of the coil is where the thermocouple is that is used to measure the temperature on the PID.
Yes, I measured the flat ring exactly at the point at the bottom!
So that means if I set 230°C on the controller, for example, it must be the temperature at that point, right? 🤔😅

Galford78,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Yes, I measured the flat ring exactly at the point at the bottom!
Is "the flat ring" what you are calling the coil? You want the very tip of that. But also I believe it's measuring on the inside. So it is covered by the housing.
So that means if I set 230°C on the controller, for example, it must be the temperature at that point, right? 🤔😅
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do. Are you verifying your coil and PID controller are tuned correctly? I don't think the Crossing controller, used by Vapvana, has a documented way to set parameters like the p,I, and d.

Also, as you probably know, the type of thermometer matters a lot. All have a range of error but some are more precise. And if course different sensors are better for different applications.

Grass Yes,

DanTay

you mean this?

I have sent an email to Vapvana to see if they will sell them as acceseriories soon as I would buy a couple as spares

DanTay,
Reactions: Rodney

EasyVape

Do the "low stock warning" messages on Vapvana's site reflect reality or are they just sleazy marketing (i.e. blatant lies)?
IIRC the low stock message was initially legitimate during the first one or two Screwball pre-orders. The current messages look like they just left them on auto-reset or manual reset going forward. IMO, the low stock warnings probably do help increase order numbers, however, as Vapvana grows into a brand that carries multiple products and sells multiple times to the same customers, they should consider removing the low stock warnings as they come off as fly by night operation marketing tactics.

.brew

IIRC the low stock message was initially legitimate during the first one or two Screwball pre-orders.
They weren't legitimate back then, either. It was discussed in this thread back then. One of the reasons I cancelled my pre-order.

.brew,

Vapvana

Manufacturer

Screwball One Year Recap​

Hi y'all, Cal here the founder of Vapvana.

It's crazy to think that ~14 months ago I shipped out the first round of early adopter Screwballs into the wild. We have gone through some milestones since then, and I wanted to take a moment to highlight a few of them.

2 Naming Contests​

We've launched 2 naming contests, one for the Screwball and one for our mascot Coach Reuben. There has been ~$3,000 worth of prizes given out between both contests.

Product Refinement​

Based off of feedback we've continued to refine the Screwball experience, here are some of the improvements we've made over the last year:
  • Half bowl screen setting (early adopters round)
  • 10-24 Handle threading (early adopters round)
  • New housing design with flat top (post presale)
  • Hybrid bowl design (post presale)
  • Custom coil guard (post presale)
bowl-lid-prototypes.jpg

It took ~10 rounds of iterations to get to the early adopters round, and another ~5 rounds to get where we are today. I've put thousands of hours (and bowls) into making the Screwball the best product possible (IMO).

Bigger Than Myself​

IMG_2837.jpg
IMG_2836.jpg

Over the past 3-4 months there has been a significant increase in sales that have officially made this business bigger than myself. 2.5 years ago I was staying in my childhood bedroom at my parents when this project started, so it was a surreal experience getting to the point I could no longer handle the day to day operations myself.

FC Market Share​

For transparency purposes, I checked how many times the coupon code 'FC10' has been used in the past 90 days. It was used ~17 times out of the ~1,260 orders we had go through our site.

As we continue to grow we unfortunately have to start choosing where to put resources, and may not be as active here as people would like.

New Team Members​

To help keep up with the increased sales, I've hired two team members to focus on two important parts of the business:

Head of AZ Operations - Holding down the day to day shipping is Rupert. He is a cannabis enthusiast who has been fully converted to being combusted free. He also helps out at our in person events, and our video content.

Head of Customer Success - Our most recent hire is Beau, who is a long time vape enthusiast and well equipped to help answer customers, process warranties, and anything else needed behind the scenes. Beau will also be the one making updates here in the future.

Growing Pains​

During the growth spurt these past few months there has been some unintentional 'collateral damage' with customer service. I apologize if our service hasn't met your expectations during the transition of getting Beau into place.

If you placed an order and are unhappy for any reason please reach out through our website and we will do our best to make things right.

O-Ring Issues​

If you haven't received an email from us, there was a mistake made with the wrong type of o-rings being used for the first round of production. This has caused issues with the glass joints getting stuck, or green residue being left from alcohol (the correct o-rings are Viton, and we have soaked them in 99% Isopropyl alcohol for 7 days straight with no issues).

These problems will be solved by using the correct o-rings. If you're having any issues with your hybrid bowl(s) then please reach out for free replacements through our website, or fill out our warranty form here: vapvana.com/pages/warranty-returns-form

Website Inventory Limitations​

We use Shopify as our e-commerce platform, and there are limitations to how the inventory works within the template we use. When there is over 20 units in inventory, the icon shows a green light and the text 'In stock, ready to ship' which can be confusing for a pre-order listing. However, if we set it to 20 units or less, it would show a yellow light with the remaining units left.

Screenshot_2024-09-18_at_9.20.14_PM.png

Based off of how the template was setup, I chose to set the pre-orders to start with 20 units and manually update them as they sold. My intention was to remove confusion with the pre-order process, not increase sales through artificial scarcity.

Screenshot_2024-09-18_at_9.21.24_PM.png

After reading peoples perspective on our 'marketing tactics', I went back into Shopify to see if I could update the settings. I was able to create a new template, and de-activate the inventory counter for all our current pre-orders.

The Vapvana Difference​

Being a vape customer the past decade, I try my best make sure we provide a great customer experience based off of my own personal experiences. Ultimately, I know the feeling of spending a good amount of money on a product that didn't live up to my expectations.

I understand purchasing expensive products can be a risk in our industry, or placing a pre-order for a 3D mockup/untested product that doesn't go as planned. Because of this, here are some of our policies to remove the risk from ordering through us:
  • 100 Day Guarantee - To my knowledge, we are the only ball vape company that allows open box returns. We believe in what we sell, and will happily refund anyone who isn't satisfied with their purchase.

• Lifetime Warranty - I believe that once you make an investment in one of our products, you should be (almost) set for life. We will replace any issues you have with your PID or coil.

• Discounted Presale Pricing - Not only do we test all of our products for 2-3+ iterations before starting a pre-order, we also offer it at the cheapest discount possible for the first round. Most of our products will be listed at under retail pricing until we finalize retail packaging for them.

Final Thoughts​

For anyone that has been a part of our journey so far, I want to thank you from the bottom of heart. I am grateful for the opportunity to make products that people enjoy using, and have a lot of exciting things in the works.

Again, I apologize if your expectations have not been met at any point during the past year. If that's the case, please reach out and we will do our best to make things right.

Moving forward, updates may be limited during the upcoming holiday season. We are working on a doing a rebrand and launching a new website before things get busier.

Cheers,
Cal

AndyO

Thanks for the (eventual) update, it sounds like there's some positive things happening and you're working hard to get on top of things.

This concerns me:

We are working on a doing a rebrand and launching a new website before things get busier.

I'm not anyone to tell you how to run your business. But I have experienced of your products and your customer service in recent months, and I work in marketing, PR and stakeholder relations. So take this as professional advice, not criticism.

You need (to spend time on) a re-brand about as much you need a race of horses stomping you on the dick. You're just getting some traction in the market, you've acknowledged a need to reprioritise and get back on top of the customer service. Spending time on a rebrand and a new website under those circumstances just seems crazy.

You have a great product that is almost universally liked in the Screwball, I hear the Ace is quite popular, and you have the cordless version coming out, presumably under the Vapvana branding. I strongly suspect all the recent issues and dissatisfaction around service are because you're trying to do too much at once. Take a breath mate.

Clapped_r6

bass in your face
These problems will be solved by using the correct o-rings. If you're having any issues with your hybrid bowl(s) then please reach out for free replacements through our website, or fill out our warranty form
would it be too much to ask that you just send out the correct orings to those that have purchased? Thank you for briskly addressing this problem, but if it's now a known issue...

Mickk

Thanks for the (eventual) update, it sounds like there's some positive things happening and you're working hard to get on top of things.

This concerns me:

I'm not anyone to tell you how to run your business. But I have experienced of your products and your customer service in recent months, and I work in marketing, PR and stakeholder relations. So take this as professional advice, not criticism.

You need (to spend time on) a re-brand about as much you need a race of horses stomping you on the dick. You're just getting some traction in the market, you've acknowledged a need to reprioritise and get back on top of the customer service. Spending time on a rebrand and a new website under those circumstances just seems crazy.

You have a great product that is almost universally liked in the Screwball, I hear the Ace is quite popular, and you have the cordless version coming out, presumably under the Vapvana branding. I strongly suspect all the recent issues and dissatisfaction around service are because you're trying to do too much at once. Take a breath mate.
big +1 on this

Rebranding, fancy packaging and all that is worhtless to people if the underlying structure of the company, and it's support is not as good as it can be yet

Prioritizing a rebrand sounds like you're just trying to get in as many new customers as possible, but you dont have the backend set up for that yet...

Mickk,
Top Bottom