The Nomad From Morwood

jds

I don't think anyone is accusing Dan of being nefarious. It's concerning that there have been no weekly batch 2 updates for more than a month, but there's been yet another Toad drop. It's starting to look like the "side project" has become his main focus.

Your post made me reflect a bit more on the current situation.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Toad is a "necessary evil" if we're to see our Nomads builds be completed. Like other posters mentioned, they are a much more reliable stream of income since they're quick to build. I don't feel angered by the recent Toad drops, they're just another indication that Dan has to eat too, and if this is what it takes to keep him going, then so be it. I'll gladly let my Nomad be subsidized by these Toads rather than have the whole project be cancelled.

Although, this makes me think that Nomads may not continue being built after the current batch(es), since obviously there is a gross mispricing going on. It would definitely need a massive prise raise to be worth it for him, I think.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
For all of those curious about the Batch 2 updates, they'll be back first week of October. I just sent out a longer update email to Batch 2, and Batch 3, that outlines the estimated timeline for shipping Batch 2 (February), and when I'll be starting on Batch 3. I also go into a bit about the Toads in the email, but I'll offer up some thoughts here too.

The Nomad IIs turned out to be financially unsustainable. This was mostly because I vastly underestimated the time it would take to make them, but my inexperience with planning a project of that size certainly didn't help either.

@jds You're correct in that the Toads had become a necessary evil. While I never intended the two projects to overlap, and I really tried everything I could at the time to avoid it, they did end up offering me a sustainable way to keep things going.

I have a lot to say about the Nomad II project, and one day I'll have my thoughts together enough to make a post about the entire experience. For now I just feel as though I am sorry for how long it has taken to fulfill these orders... and that what matters is that I keep trying my best to get them out the door.

For those wondering if I’ll ever make another batch of Nomad II’s after these orders are all caught up…. I will say that my improvements over the last years are starting to make the Nomad II’s look more viable to continue making at some point, with a few design tweaks and a price hike for sure. I absolutely love the design, so I’ll definitely be looking for ways I can keep it going in some form.... but... I really won't know for sure until I'm done Batch 3.

fangorn

@Dan Morrison

Ouch... it's hard to read, so it must have been hard to write...

it's easy to say, not being involved in the project, but it's part of the journey...
a personalized trip, where we all feel like we can be involved at one time or another...

apart from certain clients for whom you may have started the process, I believe that you left the possibility of catching a toad quickly instead... and you always left the option of getting their money back...
I think we are all aware that you don't run an ordinary store and that you do your best to be transparent and fair.

But you're not just selling a vaporizer, you're selling pieces of art.
And it's as if the financial value of this artistic work was not taken into account financially...
I have to think at two other wooden vapo designs... where the "custom" art is not present as such. And they are sold at prices not so far from what you offer... (I'm not criticizing these vaporizers, right! I owned the V1 of one of the two, the v7 of the other and I just ordered the V9)
My vision is that the Nomad 1 was a beautiful, personalized vaporizer. But that's valid if we don't take into account the artistic work of the covers... You could have certainly charged more for the covers... It was pure art... some could sell for thousands of dollars... and maybe one day a millionaire who discovers vaporization will pay 1 million for such a nomad...
for the Nomad 2, the art is understood in the woodworking and the shapes.. But I think that here again you sold a vaporizer and raw materials but not art.
And for the Toad... the wooden base is a little similar to the two vaporizers that I mentioned above. And I think that just this part could be sold at the same price as the V2 or the V9 mentioned above... (I'm perhaps not going to make only friends by saying this)...
but you add the washi paper work and the artistic painting work... in my mind, it's as if this part was not taken into account financially...
good for me - I really think so - I feel very lucky - but how is that possible...?

I mean... in one year, Nomads 1 or 2 sold for between $1500 and $3000.
Buyers didn't just buy a V4 or V5... they paid for art...

Another craftsman who works with wood and offered customizations, started offering auctions... I'm not saying it's a good or bad method, but it should give an idea of the number of people ready to pay more than the average price...

I hope you don't sell the Nomad v3 for $1000... but in hindsight, that would shock me less than seeing it sell for $600.

There you go, I have lots of other ideas but I'll stop there!

It's not my business... I don't necessarily feel justified in expressing my opinion but... it was beyond me...
I hope I don't offend anyone here, especially you Dan.

I can't wait until next spring and seeing all these Nomads disperse across the planet and amaze their future owners! and I can't wait to see photos of the Nomads in the hands of the owners 😁

happy vaping everyone!

sledge

Strange times we live in... accelerating populations, dwindling resources, and higher demand for, well, everything. But, I digress.

And here you have one man, and one very unique art form. I'm surprised the demand isn't higher and the cost isn't greater. I've been in line for a Nomad 2 since 2021 -not nearly as long as some others who wait. I currently have a Toad on order, paid for and awaiting finishing and delivery. If it is in the stars, I will purchase other Toad's. I take the same approach to the Nomad. I believe in the work Dan is doing and I will continue to support his art for as long as he is willing to create it.

Hopefully Dan will find a way to keep the Nomad's in production. If that means more Toad's and more of a wait, then so be it. If that means higher prices, by all means -the sky is the limit. These are heirloom pieces of functional art and they are unlike anything else on planet earth. Would it be too bold to call them priceless?

jds

Strange times we live in... accelerating populations, dwindling resources, and higher demand for, well, everything. But, I digress.

And here you have one man, and one very unique art form. I'm surprised the demand isn't higher and the cost isn't greater. I've been in line for a Nomad 2 since 2021 -not nearly as long as some others who wait. I currently have a Toad on order, paid for and awaiting finishing and delivery. If it is in the stars, I will purchase other Toad's. I take the same approach to the Nomad. I believe in the work Dan is doing and I will continue to support his art for as long as he is willing to create it.

Hopefully Dan will find a way to keep the Nomad's in production. If that means more Toad's and more of a wait, then so be it. If that means higher prices, by all means -the sky is the limit. These are heirloom pieces of functional art and they are unlike anything else on planet earth. Would it be too bold to call them priceless?

I've said it somewhere else in this thread, but the Nomad II is the only vape I own where even people who aren't into cannabis or vaping comment on its worksmanship. It is truly a piece of art.

Edit: Here's a picture of my Nomad II to liven up the thread:

Last edited:

fangorn

(I realize that I did not take into account the regulation system which is present on the other vaporizers that I mentioned before !)

fangorn,
Reactions: jds

kairos

For all of those curious about the Batch 2 updates, they'll be back first week of October. I just sent out a longer update email to Batch 2, and Batch 3, that outlines the estimated timeline for shipping Batch 2 (February), and when I'll be starting on Batch 3. I also go into a bit about the Toads in the email, but I'll offer up some thoughts here too.

The Nomad IIs turned out to be financially unsustainable. This was mostly because I vastly underestimated the time it would take to make them, but my inexperience with planning a project of that size certainly didn't help either.

@jds You're correct in that the Toads had become a necessary evil. While I never intended the two projects to overlap, and I really tried everything I could at the time to avoid it, they did end up offering me a sustainable way to keep things going.

I have a lot to say about the Nomad II project, and one day I'll have my thoughts together enough to make a post about the entire experience. For now I just feel as though I am sorry for how long it has taken to fulfill these orders... and that what matters is that I keep trying my best to get them out the door.

For those wondering if I’ll ever make another batch of Nomad II’s after these orders are all caught up…. I will say that my improvements over the last years are starting to make the Nomad II’s look more viable to continue making at some point, with a few design tweaks and a price hike for sure. I absolutely love the design, so I’ll definitely be looking for ways I can keep it going in some form.... but... I really won't know for sure until I'm done Batch 3.

While I would really love to see batch 5 happening as I should be part of it, I know for sure that some projects need pauses and we all need some rest. Please take care and keep strong!

fangorn

After this teaser inspired by the Christmas period... here I am again.

So I was lucky enough to get my hands on Nomad #008. Thank you very much to the seller! It seems a little unreal to me...

I feel like I've traveled back in time to catch it!
It could have been lying around in one of the many drawers of an old, dusty piece of furniture... in an overcrowded, messy room filled with treasures... It would have been forgotten there due to the adventures of its owner.

And given the theme of personalized painting, I obviously see this in Asia...

In a past era... but futuristic... with a dark atmosphere while being inspired by "Tintin and the Blue Lotus".

So much for my delirium... This Nomad really takes me on a journey!

In real life, the seller was super cool...
And, my luck is that he had to stop consuming THC (for positive reasons) before even receiving his Nomad...
So...except for one corner out of eight of the custom sleeve...it is in perfect condition!! It's really crazy.

Which didn't stop me from completely dismantling it when it arrived, inspecting it, cleaning it, feeding it...
I spent an evening on cloud nine...

I've been vaping almost exclusively on a Toad for over a year... so the differences have been striking!
It was very strange to see the spring instead of the magnets, a much larger air intake hole, a very different locking system, or even the absence of a screen in the body of the Nomad.
It took me a while to get used to it...and I'm not done yet.

Once satisfied, I inserted the low heater. The one that had obviously not been used. I burned on my first two attempts. Knowing Dan's heater perfectly, I was a little surprised. I inserted the high heater that I received with my Toad, and that I had only used for a week... and off I went! Dan confirmed to me that there were a lot of contacts in the heaters, at the spirals, and that they were probably not usable. I was planning on updating Nomad #008 with the latest version of Dan's heater anyway. But I'm glad I had to get used to the high heat because I really enjoy the experience...even if it's tasty for less time than the low heat. I like to use both!

The body is made of Canadian big-leaf maple.
The necklace is made of cocobolo.
The metal parts are bronze.
The button is abalone.
The painting represents an emblem/kamon of the Oda family which was powerful in the 15th century (Sengoku period -!!! - according to Wikipedia). It's a quince flower.
On the other side, it says "martial arts" according to Google Lens, and "the way of the warrior" according to a post by its first owner.

A lotus flower next to a quince flower...

Last edited:

fangorn

The maple burl is just incredible... it's soft, it's beautiful... I can spend a lot of time looking at or touching the wood... I'm a fan!
And with an 18650 battery inside the weight is just perfect...

And the abalone button is also exceptional... I imagined one day asking Dan to sell me a button that would contain a galaxy... well... I'm pretty good now!

There you go... I had fun with this post... (sorry if it's "too much")... and I had fun with this purchase!

But so, Nomad #008 is well settled in his new home.

Okay and finally... maybe some people have spotted in the previous image... but in this room full of treasures where I found my Nomad #008... there was another lost artifact.. . a unicorn that we no longer dared to talk about... Okin #81... but this part of the count is for another thread...!

That's it for me...
I'm in a little bubble of happiness at the moment...!
I sold everything else... I still have vapman, lotus and a glass vape... and I'm enjoying it!

Thanks again to this awesome seller who was kind enough to part with two unicorns...
and once again, Thanks to Dan for this exceptional job he did with this custom Nomad...
It is a true work of art, a functional jewel... and an artifact that makes me dream and travel... in space and in time...

Happy vaping everyone!!

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
The maple burl is just incredible... it's soft, it's beautiful... I can spend a lot of time looking at or touching the wood... I'm a fan!
And with an 18650 battery inside the weight is just perfect...

And the abalone button is also exceptional... I imagined one day asking Dan to sell me a button that would contain a galaxy... well... I'm pretty good now!

There you go... I had fun with this post... (sorry if it's "too much")... and I had fun with this purchase!

But so, Nomad #008 is well settled in his new home.

Okay and finally... maybe some people have spotted in the previous image... but in this room full of treasures where I found my Nomad #008... there was another lost artifact.. . a unicorn that we no longer dared to talk about... Okin #81... but this part of the count is for another thread...!

That's it for me...
I'm in a little bubble of happiness at the moment...!
I sold everything else... I still have vapman, lotus and a glass vape... and I'm enjoying it!

Thanks again to this awesome seller who was kind enough to part with two unicorns...
and once again, Thanks to Dan for this exceptional job he did with this custom Nomad...
It is a true work of art, a functional jewel... and an artifact that makes me dream and travel... in space and in time...

Happy vaping everyone!!
Congrat's on the new vapes man, they truly are beautiful pieces, what a collection!
I envy your Okin, even though I imagine I'd rarely use one (I rarely use any of my vapes that aren't Nomad/Toad) I'd love one for the occasional leisurely charcoal toke! And to have an example of each of Dan's vapes must be like having a mini museum of modern craft in your vape box!

Whereabouts are we in the Nomad II waiting list?
I had to drop out of the first batch but re-joined as soon as I could and think I just missed batch 3.
Has anyone from 3 received their Nomad II yet?
I see from recent posts that Dan may be reviewing prices etc. I REALLY hope that batch 4 (and beyond!) will still be made, are you able to offer any updates to those of us beyond the current batch @danmorrison?

seriousTone

Congrat's on the new vapes man, they truly are beautiful pieces, what a collection!
I envy your Okin, even though I imagine I'd rarely use one (I rarely use any of my vapes that aren't Nomad/Toad) I'd love one for the occasional leisurely charcoal toke! And to have an example of each of Dan's vapes must be like having a mini museum of modern craft in your vape box!

Whereabouts are we in the Nomad II waiting list?
I had to drop out of the first batch but re-joined as soon as I could and think I just missed batch 3.
Has anyone from 3 received their Nomad II yet?
I see from recent posts that Dan may be reviewing prices etc. I REALLY hope that batch 4 (and beyond!) will still be made, are you able to offer any updates to those of us beyond the current batch @danmorrison?
Batch 2 should be sent out February-ish.

Top Bottom