The Nomad From Morwood

seriousTone

Over a month since the last batch 2 update, just saw another new batch of Toads announced. Anyone heard anything?
It's actually been 2 months yesterday I believe.

I'm just imagining (hoping) Dan is hard at work on them and as a surprise they'll ship sooner than we think, making it all worthwhile; but I've been known to get my hopes up.

The Toad updates hurt a little not gonna lie.

But I don't ever want to sound like I'm complaining because I'm just REALLY grateful to be in batch 2 and getting a Nomad at all. At this rate, I just don't see how Dan doesn't burn out or move onto the next device before he gets through all the batches.

Last edited:

jds

I suspect there was a (well deserved) summer vacation in there around August, so he might have been away for part of the last 2 months. I do hope for an update soon, though, I'm always excited to see what's going on with our Nomads.

I'm also curious about the overall progress of batch 2 since in the last update we saw that work on the main Nomad bodies was well on its way. How far can we be from the finish line? I'm hopeful like @seriousTone that we might have a nice surprise coming up.

Last edited:

floribud

I had completely forgot about the nomad II. I messaged Dan this past week and told me that I’m 155 spots from the top 😭😭😭. That’s like another 6 years, idk, I’m just guesstimating…

I signed up on the list in Nov 2020.
Hmm, I'm Dec 2021, I'm guessing i'll be eligible for Social Security by the time my number comes up... so that will be helpful.

BubbleDrop

I had completely forgot about the nomad II. I messaged Dan this past week and told me that I’m 155 spots from the top 😭😭😭. That’s like another 6 years, idk, I’m just guesstimating…

I signed up on the list in Nov 2020.
Ok let's say there are 15.5 Nomads II being made per year, I think it's more 10 years of waiting (well, added to the 3 years you signed up). :hmm:

@davendk93 Don't lose hope. It's a long time, but once you get it, you will have a device that will likely become a family heirloom because of how well made and timeless it is. There is really nothing else like it!
It's not a long time, it is just too long and a bit unrealistic. I don't know if more people were added to the list recently but if they are 300 spots from the top... Well, good luck waiting. :)

I hope Dan changes something in the way he builds those Nomads, maybe outsourcing ? Otherwise what can he do with a list of 300 names waiting (I don't know, maybe less or maybe even more) ? It is just not possible to deal with, I'm afraid.

Let's see what the future brings, hopefully some good news !

Last edited:

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
I hope Dan changes something in the way he builds those Nomads, maybe outsourcing ?
Outsourcing would diminish the value quite a bit for me. I'm on the list of those concerned about the lack of recent updates; iirc the last email was about a brief delay regarding the one expected for the subsequent wknd
@Dan Morrison , what can you tell us?

Ok let's say there are 15.5 Nomads II being made per year, I think it's more 10 years of waiting (well, added to the 3 years you signed up). :hmm:

It's not a long time, it is just too long and a bit unrealistic. I don't know if more people were added to the list recently but if they are 300 spots from the top... Well, good luck waiting. :)

I hope Dan changes something in the way he builds those Nomads, maybe outsourcing ? Otherwise what can he do with a list of 300 names waiting (I don't know, maybe less or maybe even more) ? It is just not possible to deal with, I'm afraid.

Let's see what the future brings, hopefully some good news !

I have to imagine he is going to stop making these entirely once he finally gets through the current orders. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense with how long the list is and how much faster the Toad is to make. He's pumped out 130 Toads in the time he's been working on Nomad II batch 2...

jds

I have to imagine he is going to stop making these entirely once he finally gets through the current orders. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense with how long the list is and how much faster the Toad is to make. He's pumped out 130 Toads in the time he's been working on Nomad II batch 2...

Yeah, it would personally stress me out to know how many are waiting. I just hope he does what's right for him and doesn't burn himself out. It is crazy though how many Nomads are yet to be made...

I wonder if he might consider hiring an apprentice at some point to help him with tasks. I feel like that wouldn't denature the product, because he'd be well taught and the Nomads would still be properly handmade.

davendk93

Enthusiast/Customizer
I just sold my #23 Nomad 2 to a satisfied customer! :nod: I miss it, but now I'm about to make my second part to the Kettle so it served a higher calling!:clap::science::bowdown:
what’s the after market value of a nomad? I didn’t see it in the classifieds here and I’m guessing that there are not many out in the wild, and therefore, not many for resale?

davendk93,
Reactions: jds

NOLOGO

I just sold my #23 Nomad 2 to a satisfied customer! :nod: I miss it, but now I'm about to make my second part to the Kettle so it served a higher calling!:clap::science::bowdown:
did you use the classifieds here on fc to sell it?

I own #18 of the nomad 2 (spalted tamarind + ebony wood) and I'm considering putting it up for sale... I don't use discord or vaporents... is the classified section here the best way to go?

The nomad II is one of my favorite things I've ever owned...simply stunning craftsmanship, really, but I just don't use it like it deserves to be used... and tbh that money would sure come in handy.

I've realized and come to terms with the fact that I'm just more of a "regulated" vape kind of guy. I used the nomad II around 10 times, put it in storage for a while, and just took it out again to see if I will fall in love with it's unregulated nature... but I didn't.

Just wondering if the classifieds here is the recommended way to go.

tia!

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Dan’s aspirational timelines can be frustrating but hardly seem nefarious. If he set more realistic expectations, he might limit some of the Toad-drop blowback, but is that even possible at this point?

@Custom Flower Hardware being able to sell his for what he did—Xylay or not—puts a dollar value on your patience. It’s a rare product that appreciates before it physically exists. 😉

Last edited:

Jojofernz

Dan’s aspirational timelines can be frustrating but hardly seem nefarious. If he set more realistic expectations, some of the Toad-drop blowback could possibly be avoided, but is that even possible at this point?

@Custom Flower Hardware being able to sell his for what he did—Xylay or not—puts a dollar value on your patience. It’s a rare product that appreciates before it physically exists. 😉

Oh damn that was his! I remember that! Hey good $3k made.

The way some of these vapes are blows my mind!

Jojofernz,

jbm

Dan’s aspirational timelines can be frustrating but hardly seem nefarious. If he set more realistic expectations, he might limit some of the Toad-drop blowback, but is that even possible at this point?
I don't think anyone is accusing Dan of being nefarious. It's concerning that there have been no weekly batch 2 updates for more than a month, but there's been yet another Toad drop. It's starting to look like the "side project" has become his main focus.

jbm,

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
It's starting to look like the "side project" has become his main focus.
Agree. But the man’s gotta eat.

The base Nomads are pricier but not hugely so compared to the Toads. It’s clear that Dan can batch the Toads out way more quickly (for him), making it a more consistent income stream.

For him to achieve the same with the Nomads, he’d have to price them several times higher than where they are now. There was an earlier post where Dan said Nomad production just doesn’t scale the way he hoped.

It’s the flip side to all the painstaking artisan bs we otherwise gush about.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder

Wait, did this really sell for $3k??

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I'm just waiting for that Honduran rosewood curly maple to be in my hands. Paid June of 2021. I too am frustrated with the wait but, at this point, the $500 I paid isn't even a worry in my finances and really wouldn't make much of a difference so I don't particularly mind waiting, despite the somewhat upsetting lack of updates :(

I'm just glad he decided to stop taking orders on the nomad for now. It lets him catch up on it and, as was said before, he can focus on making enough money to eat. Lord knows I'm struggling with making enough and that's WITH a whole salary haha. Still, the $500 wouldn't help much with that.

@Dan Morrison PLEASE UPDATE US. WE'RE STARVING FOR THEM OVER HERE ;)

jbm

I'm just waiting for that Honduran rosewood curly maple to be in my hands. Paid June of 2021. I too am frustrated with the wait but, at this point, the $500 I paid isn't even a worry in my finances and really wouldn't make much of a difference so I don't particularly mind waiting, despite the somewhat upsetting lack of updates :(

I'm just glad he decided to stop taking orders on the nomad for now. It lets him catch up on it and, as was said before, he can focus on making enough money to eat. Lord knows I'm struggling with making enough and that's WITH a whole salary haha. Still, the $500 wouldn't help much with that.

@Dan Morrison PLEASE UPDATE US. WE'RE STARVING FOR THEM OVER HERE ;)
I’m mostly fine with the wait. It’s been more than 3 years since I paid for the Nomad. I paid for some additional accessories a year later. For the longest time I didn’t even mind seeing the Toad drops. I’ve defended the long wait times here on numerous occasions. The combination of the recent radio silence on the updates along with yet another Toad drop concerns me however. It’s been so close and it’s starting to seem so far.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

3K? WTF? That's horrible!
I hope this was a joke and not serious.

I dunno. I've always felt that to be proud of selling something for that much more than it cost you just seems dirty and wrong :huh:

Last edited:

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
did you use the classifieds here on fc to sell it?

I own #18 of the nomad 2 (spalted tamarind + ebony wood) and I'm considering putting it up for sale... I don't use discord or vaporents... is the classified section here the best way to go?
Hey NoLogo ... is this your beauty ? 💜

Screenshot-20230922-074843-Chrome.jpg

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
3K? WTF? That's horrible!
I hope this was a joke and not serious.

I dunno. I've always felt that to be proud of selling something for that much more than it cost you just seems dirty and wrong :huh:
Depends on the thing. With this particular nomad, it probably cost somewhere near 1000 for it originally. Mine is $500 and I BARELY have any extras added on. So people are paying the extra 300% to not wait for years I suppose. Idk who has that kind of disposable income though haha

Terpenetime

Depends on the thing. With this particular nomad, it probably cost somewhere near 1000 for it originally. Mine is $500 and I BARELY have any extras added on. So people are paying the extra 300% to not wait for years I suppose. Idk who has that kind of disposable income though haha
He said in the video it cost $600 IIRC

Terpenetime,
Top Bottom