The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

4everpushingaboulder

That's gonna bake that wood in a hurry.
Yeah. I’m down for the moment since I lost my marbles ….errr boiling stones. On the Amazon truck for delivery.

I plan to start low (5.0v) and let it soak for a good 30 min. I have a decent IR heat gun and a great instant read thermometer. Will keep an eye on the way.
If I have to cut some vents in the side to vent heat and show some light it’s an option.

4everpushingaboulder,
Reactions: androponic

androponic

vaped.
Yeah. I’m down for the moment since I lost my marbles ….errr boiling stones. On the Amazon truck for delivery.

I plan to start low (5.0v) and let it soak for a good 30 min. I have a decent IR heat gun and a great instant read thermometer. Will keep an eye on the way.
If I have to cut some vents in the side to vent heat and show some light it’s an option.
theres room in there to line the hot area with foil, even dremel a little xtra area out in the lower section of the shaker in line with the bulb/balls area. i would hate to have to drill lt since it kinda takes away from the aesthetics. we definitely will run lower voltage as will anyone that buys any type of wood shield but i dont believe it will burn it up but i am definitely starting a bit lower on the vvps. the lower voltage should extend bulb life too.

Last edited:

oldfool

I plan to start low (5.0v)
I'm at 5.5V with an 18mm air gap.
IMG-2514.jpg

4everpushingaboulder

Maybe I’ll start at 4.5 :D

on edit: once I get it stabilized at 380ish, does anybody believe it will still be a risk?
I get that it will retain heat. But the concept is the same, my insulation factor is lower than yours. I have 3mm of space vs yours with 18. Right or am I missing something else.

And results. Started at 4.5. Did a 25 min soak. Started moving up until I hit 5.05. After 60 min total and 20 min at 5.5 the hottest part of the external wood is 175 while the inner core is 365ish. The top and bottom sections of wood are 100 and 90 respectively.

Function test had excellent flavor but was pretty warm. Probably can drop a bit more and be happy.

Edit 4. Still in my 6 hour window.

Eds TNT got his version tested. Same temps.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Salty Balls™ Authorized distributor
Experiment?
Proven experience that works well :D

Looking great. I saw you did it this way so you could put everything into a log.
So I ask you and anyone who has messed around a bit with the device, do you think there is a way to thread the halogen bulb through some divider? In order to create a separation between the wiring and the air path.
That in the airway there will be only the heat dissipating part of the bulb and the glass balls.

To illustrate - the divider will go where the black dotted line is, Which will also hold all the components in place :

Inked1627877783634-LI.jpg

Last edited:

badbee

@RedEyeFlightControl
Hello, I am curious to know if you tried to make an Air Path that will pass through the bulb and the glass balls only, And not through the wiring and ceramics.
@oldfool 's experiment shows that this is possible, so that we get an airway that is as clean as possible.
I would love to get an answer, Isaac
Part of the design goal was to use only inexpensive, off the shelf and unmodified parts. You could achieve what you want by drilling air holes in the stem or using a Y or T shaped lab glass connection. As you go down that path it gets harder and harder to build and source parts, but it's certainly possible. Cool intake air going past a short length of wire and some ceramic seems fairly harmless. It it was a full PCB and soldered connections that would be a concern.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
This guy is becoming my go-to morning vape before work. Heats up in 5 minutes and extracts in 5 seconds. Ssv43 for buckets of CBD when I get home, then I hit my vapbongs in the evening. Can't wait to try it on my new goo-roo couch potato which is supposed to arrive today.

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
@RedEyeFlightControl
Hello, I am curious to know if you tried to make an Air Path that will pass through the bulb and the glass balls only, And not through the wiring and ceramics.
@oldfool 's experiment shows that this is possible, so that we get an airway that is as clean as possible.
I would love to get an answer, Isaac
What @badbee says. Custom made/fabbed parts are certainly possible, but staying true to a commodity based DIY kit both keeps things simple and consistent while keeping costs low.

4everpushingaboulder

I rebuilt the HLT Grinder and tested it for about 10 hours yesterday. Then stripped it down to see the impact.

I settled on 5.05v which over the duration gave me stable extraction and a constant temp. If I ran lower I could get 1-2 good pulls after a soak but then it needed to rebound. At 5v (must be a minimum voltage somehow) it was rock solid.

External temps ranged from 160-180. Top end after extended times of non use. I measured the internal temp in the 320ish range.

I used it on the globe, a hook, and a beaker. Results were fantastic. But by the end of the night I could smell the wood slightly.

This morning I stripped it and found a small pattern of char. I’ll sand that down with the dremmel and run it again.

Overall love it for the extra $5.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
This kit was not supplied by me. The seller is making their own (against the law, the way it is licensed under attribution non-commercial share-alike). This is going to be interesting.

This sloppy screen work was not made by my shop.

Edit - seller deleted post. I have all of the documentation, screencaps. names, and user info I need for now. Thanks for the heads up guys, please let me know if you see this again.

1630621920485.png

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Hi all,

RedEyeFlightControl here, to introduce the next vaporizer release from REFC-Labs.com and friends!

The HighLighTED - The HighLighter Thermal Extraction Device

This project took about 6 months and was recently completed by the Scientifically Higher Design Collective (also including @khelek41girl APwinger, Ketheptis, and @AWistfulNihilist )

-A brief history-

Halogen heaters have always been a desirable concept, as well as a highly performant heat source. Our dev group decided to pursue a side project that one of its members really wanted, so we designed a DIY kit to make available a highly-performant, clean, simple, cheap, and easily repair/replaceable Log style heater core module, which could be used any way as the pilot desires. Over the course of 6 months or so, this design has been peer- refined, upgraded, tested, and re-tested by industry leading inventors/makers/manufacturers.

Current release is tentatively 2-3 weeks from now as early-access users and influencers begin posting information / pics / videos of this heater.

-Current Status-

The HighLighter is a DIY Kit. It is designed to be as easy as possible to assemble, while requiring little to no prior knowledge to build. It requires only several common tools, and every component is a commodity piece of hardware, meaning you should always be able to find parts, regardless of whether it's from my store, or one of the other dev's stores. Our goal was to make this as attainable as possible, to the largest group as possible. Kits will be sold in batches to start, to ensure there are no major launch issues, and that proper support and guidance can be given as needed. I'm expecting to do 20 a week to start. This may very well change if/when this project ramps up.

Wood heat shields (as pictured in some of my IG posts) will start becoming available as an upgrade option. The naked core performs very well, however, a heat shield provides not only a caloric retention upgrade, but a beautiful and unique way to hold and display your core.

The reasons for this decision were three fold - one , the devs of this project have limited bandwidth and may not be able to crank these out as often as we'd like, given expected demand. Two, naked core performance is good enough where the heat shield is not necessary, so those who don't want to drop premium cash for a premium piece of wood or the upgrade in performance, don't need to .

Three, this is an open invite to all other makers, wood turners, artisans, manufacturers - to come and play along in making and selling heat shields!

That's right! I'll be providing the heat shield dimensional spec to whomever wants it - I want to see what other community members can offer for our little core project. Have fun, go mad, design something cool and sell it! We want the whole community to have a part in benefiting from this and we feel the heat shield is the way to do it. This also lets the buyer buy a heat shield from their preferred artist, and sends that artist business! I see this as an absolute win.

-And the other things-

I also make and manufacture the JetDryV, and vend a number of vapes, accessories, and parts, including rigs, spare glass, torches, and an assortment of Custom Dynavap Titanium (one of my other specialties). I am an authorized retailer of Elev8, Dynavap, Pulsar Premium Glass, S&B, Stache, RAW, GRAV, ACE LABZ, Molicel, and other big names. If you don't see it listed, and think it's worthy of the lab, drop me a line and we can talk!. My business is continually growing while I curate the best of the very best for everyone, so please check back from time to time as new products are regularly added to the store.

I'll do my best to answer questions objectively.

The HighLighter Kit will be available at retail pricing (soon, when in stock) here:

Individual spare parts will be listed soon, as well.

Please follow my IG or subscribe to my site newsletter to be the first to know about availability!

All the best,

Red

Thanks for the interest!

PS: Some vids:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/nucwyd/_/h0xadre https://www.reddit.com/r/VaporMilking/comments/nu55ix
Here you say its open source and anyone can make it from parts they get anywhere.
This kit was not supplied by me. The seller is making their own (against the law, the way it is licensed under attribution non-commercial share-alike). This is going to be interesting.

This sloppy screen work was not made by my shop.

Edit - seller deleted post. I have all of the documentation, screencaps. names, and user info I need for now. Thanks for the heads up guys, please let me know if you see this again.

View attachment 12605
Here you seem to imply legal action for someone doing that?

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Here you say its open source and anyone can make it from parts they get anywhere.

Here you seem to imply legal action for someone doing that?
The seller indicated they were going to do this commercially. SHDC isn't granting retail licenses for the kit at this time. The CC license grants personal use, not commercial use for profit. Of course, we would like to protect our time and energy investment in this project. We gave the design away so others could enjoy it without a material impact to making the kit available commercially.

I have no problems if you don't like the product and want to sell a used kit on the open market. I do have an issue with someone taking our design for free and profiting commercially from it. That's not why this was developed. Especially not at 130$ per core.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
What exactly are you licensing though? You can't claim intellectual property for the design can you? There are plenty of similar designs, especially if you look at published DIY efforts. Maybe you can if they have followed your BOM to the letter?

The name is original, I can't see anything else that is though, other than your admirable effort to bring a kit for enthusiasts to DIY, which I wholeheartedly applaud you for btw. You totally have my sympathy for someone trying to make a buck from your success though.

thunderstealer1337

What exactly are you licensing though? You can't claim intellectual property for the design can you? There are plenty of similar designs, especially if you look at published DIY efforts. Maybe you can if they have followed your BOM to the letter?

The name is original, I can't see anything else that is though, other than your admirable effort to bring a kit for enthusiasts to DIY, which I wholeheartedly applaud you for btw. You totally have my sympathy for someone trying to make a buck from your success though.
read the thread, maker did way more then what you think he did, like for instance vetted all the components etc...

Top Bottom