The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

Improvaper

No more mason jar jank for me. Now it's pure pepper mill jank! 😂

Haha, yeah, I messed up the DC port a bit. But still a big and easy upgrade for $5 (it was a 2-pack on sale when I purchased). Took me 10 minutes to make it work.

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer

Haha, yeah, I messed up the DC port a bit. But still a big and easy upgrade for $5 (it was a 2-pack on sale when I purchased). Took me 10 minutes to make it work.

Hell yeah! That looks great, man!!

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Thanks for sharing these! I don't think I'm handy enough for even a janky peppermill build 😂.

Didn't let that stop me filling out the REFC email sign-up to be alerted for the kit drops. I've been lurking on this thread for a minute and the HL seems like an enticing desktop option for a great price.

I've been curious about the JetdryV too, with the notable caveat that all my bubblers and j-hooks are 18mm.

jasp3r

Thanks for sharing these! I don't think I'm handy enough for even a janky peppermill build 😂.

Didn't let that stop me filling out the REFC email sign-up to be alerted for the kit drops. I've been lurking on this thread for a minute and the HL seems like an enticing desktop option for a great price.

I've been curious about the JetdryV too, with the notable caveat that all my bubblers and j-hooks are 18mm.
You could just put a 14mm to 18mm adapter on it which is what I do with my JetDryV but good luck getting one lol

KindBuddyBud

I had a question for the refc highlighter crew, I want to thank you guys (and gals) first. This thread was a good read. Questions were answered that I didn't even know I had. I can't wait for the next drop, made an account and subbed to the newsletter, also subbed to this thread. I'm looking for a 14mm to 18mm adapter for my rig. Someone mentioned Troy's adapter was from Lamart. My question is, are these the same?

new water pipe adapter 14/18mm combo w/ carbtube: https://shop.lamart.ch/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_79&product_id=848

new water pipe adapter 14/18mm combo w/ handle: https://shop.lamart.ch/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1204

And wth is a carbtube? Is it ?"carbed"?🤷‍♂️ throught the handle? whow!
Thanks.

Coreshot

I had a question for the refc highlighter crew, I want to thank you guys (and gals) first. This thread was a good read. Questions were answered that I didn't even know I had. I can't wait for the next drop, made an account and subbed to the newsletter, also subbed to this thread. I'm looking for a 14mm to 18mm adapter for my rig. Someone mentioned Troy's adapter was from Lamart. My question is, are these the same?

new water pipe adapter 14/18mm combo w/ carbtube: https://shop.lamart.ch/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_79&product_id=848

new water pipe adapter 14/18mm combo w/ handle: https://shop.lamart.ch/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1204

And wth is a carbtube? Is it ?"carbed"?🤷‍♂️ throught the handle? whow!
Thanks.
I tried one of these and it's a little bit too small for the hlt. It slides up all the way to the screen and flower ends up stuck to the screen. I also tired filling just with the built-in glass screen and I had to turn the temp way up, also tons of flower fell out the bottom when I stirred.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I tried one of these and it's a little bit too small for the hlt. It slides up all the way to the screen and flower ends up stuck to the screen. I also tired filling just with the built-in glass screen and I had to turn the temp way up, also tons of flower fell out the bottom when I stirred.
So, you can adjust the corepack up a tad. The guts are friction fit, and you can push the core pack up a few mm so you have the clearance you need for that WPA. It will work! Just takes tweaking the core pack location up just a hair. Most WPA's will have variances between makes/models so this is pretty normal SOP for setting up a core for your particular glassware.

KindBuddyBud

Thanks, @Coreshot .It's back to the drawing board. I like the idea of a handle to keep my fingers away from a warm/hot adapter. I guess the adapters with the thicker (22mm?) center should be fine. ex: amazon.com (the link was way too long)
I already have 3 different 19/14 adapters that I’ve been rotating. Honestly I set it to my deepest and it works fine with all of them.
Another example of answering a question I didn't know I had. 19mm? ha more flower! I guess I could jam a 20mm elev8r screen down there. What do you think of this? @4everpushingaboulder https://www.smokeday.com/19mm-male-to-14mm-male-converter-attachmen.html

4everpushingaboulder

Coreshot

So, you can adjust the corepack up a tad. The guts are friction fit, and you can push the core pack up a few mm so you have the clearance you need for that WPA. It will work! Just takes tweaking the core pack location up just a hair. Most WPA's will have variances between makes/models so this is pretty normal SOP for setting up a core for your particular glassware.
I've been trying to adjust it because it's way nicer than the generic ones and being smaller the HLT is easier to rotate on the WPA.

4everpushingaboulder

Well I got my pepper grinders, pulled one apart, slid the highlighter in, lifted it up by the cord to observe…glass tube with all the beads goes one way while the cord went the other.
Placed an order for more 3mm boiling stones.
In the mean time the fit is very interesting and the built in ledges fit the core either direction

turns out there is a metal ring at the bottom holding in the pepper mill. Once removed a pair of tin snips to the center bar, and the original screws and holes will hold it securely.

Last edited:

androponic

vaped.
@4everpushingaboulder , I can't tell you how awesome that is, totally love it. Nicely done. What size of spade bit? :) Maybe I need a new pepper grinder...
i just ordered the shakers from amazon, my tubes are .88 inch so a 7/8 (.875 inch) spade bit will get me close so a little sanding and should hold the top of tubes snug which is what i want at the topside. the inside of the shaker body looks open like where the peppercorns would sit i will line that area with foil and the bottom metal bracket after removing the center piece via dremel will support the business end. i hope the salt one is similar at the bottom end as i hope to build a pair from this set. thanks to @Improvaper and @4everpushingaboulder for the ideas

Last edited:

4everpushingaboulder

@4everpushingaboulder , I can't tell you how awesome that is, totally love it. Nicely done. What size of spade bit? :) Maybe I need a new pepper grinder...

i just ordered the shakers from amazon, my tubes are .88 inch so a 7/8 (.875 inch) spade bit will get me close so a little sanding and should hold the top of tubes snug which is what i want at the topside. the inside of the shaker body looks open like where the peppercorns would sit and the bottom metal bracket after removing the center piece via dremel will support the business end. i hope the salt one is similar at the bottom end as i hope to build a pair from this set. thanks to @Improvaper and @4everpushingaboulder for the ideas
I used the 3/4 and sanded it larger. The 7/8 would have worked from the start.

Both shakers are identical other than the wood color.

I may end up drilling a place for the cord to slip thru as well. Also the ‘lid’ is designed to spin inside the shaker core so I also may end up using a bit of wood glue to secure that. It would be cool to figure out a way to let it spin so the cord could rotate. Haven’t vaped enough today to engineer that part yet

@androponic one more thing just so you aren’t surprised. The lid has a small metal 3 prong insert. Edge of a screwdriver popped it out.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
When building any heat shield that uses values (cavity diameter, length, thickness, etc) outside of the listed spec, please remember to keep a close eye on heat temps over long term operation. As with any DIY kit, many of these configurations are untested.

DIY is always at your own risk, so just remember to use your noggin and stay safe out there :) Love seeing all of these fun projects!

Kudzu407

Para-Vaper
I recognize the first handle @Kudzu407 but where are the second two box with holes in them from? I will get one of these once I am re-employed :(
Just some I made . They are made from wood turning blanks. And you would not believe how hard it is to drill a straight hole in Wenge. I know close to nothing about wood and these simple little handles are teaching me a lot.

Top Bottom