The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
So, building off of what others like and have asked for, I've designed a new trinket which will be available soon.

This is the REFC Labs Advanced Telemetry Module :) It can run 2 vapes and can handle up to 5a per controller. It can run dual HLT's, HLT+ (vapbong OR woodscents OR underdog OR ...) or any combo thereof. It uses 2x UCTronics buck boost modules but I can adapt to other modules provided with proper dimensions. This rig is capable of up to 50v @ 5a per channel and can ingest up to 50v 10a input. Right now I have it paired with a 12v 10a brick. This module sits in both a desktop (forward facing upright) or coffee table (45 degree cant) modes. It can run from a 12v car port, jump pack, computer PSU, power brick, or any DC power source with adequate spec.

Yes, I do plan on releasing a single bay unit as well. Those with just one core/vape should get to wear fancy pants too ;)

This module adds a very high degree of both accuracy and precision. You can tune your cores for a perfect wattage match every time you use it, no matter what cable, what core, or what power supply. I've been extremely happy with these modules so far and I have a test unit going out toward the end of the week. It's going to be real hard sending this one off into the sunset!

Retail parts cost for the guts is around 110-120$ without the shell, if one were to buy the parts themselves. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to kit this yet, but keep your eyes peeled for more news soon! I'm leaning towards selling this as a shell + 3x jack kit. I may drop some assembled units if there is demand.

Honoring the KISS/DIY spirit of the HLT, this Schematic is very simple and goes together with a screwdriver in about 10 minutes.
1636481178811.png
1636481198559.png
1636481218557.png
1636481258688.png
1636481361888.png

Texus

So, building off of what others like and have asked for, I've designed a new trinket which will be available soon.

This is the REFC Labs Advanced Telemetry Module :) It can run 2 vapes and can handle up to 5a per controller. It can run dual HLT's, HLT+ (vapbong OR woodscents OR underdog OR ...) or any combo thereof. It uses 2x UCTronics buck boost modules but I can adapt to other modules provided with proper dimensions. This rig is capable of up to 50v @ 5a per channel and can ingest up to 50v 10a input. Right now I have it paired with a 12v 10a brick. This module sits in both a desktop (forward facing upright) or coffee table (45 degree cant) modes. It can run from a 12v car port, jump pack, computer PSU, power brick, or any DC power source with adequate spec.

Yes, I do plan on releasing a single bay unit as well. Those with just one core/vape should get to wear fancy pants too ;)

This module adds a very high degree of both accuracy and precision. You can tune your cores for a perfect wattage match every time you use it, no matter what cable, what core, or what power supply. I've been extremely happy with these modules so far and I have a test unit going out toward the end of the week. It's going to be real hard sending this one off into the sunset!

Retail parts cost for the guts is around 110-120$ without the shell, if one were to buy the parts themselves. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to kit this yet, but keep your eyes peeled for more news soon! I'm leaning towards selling this as a shell + 3x jack kit. I may drop some assembled units if there is demand.

Honoring the KISS/DIY spirit of the HLT, this Schematic is very simple and goes together with a screwdriver in about 10 minutes.
View attachment 14187
View attachment 14188
View attachment 14189
View attachment 14190
View attachment 14191
Love it. My side-by-side OAB and Herbo Ti are looking at me like "but it already!" Would love a more subtle color like black, gunmetal or gray...

I'd be interested in seeing more of this build, what stand are you using?

These are all the parts I used. I drilled a 1" diameter hole through the bottom of the wooden cup and secured the core using silicone gaskets on either side. The heater can be positioned in any direction and it can be quickly disconnected from the base.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Love it. My side-by-side OAB and Herbo Ti are looking at me like "but it already!" Would love a more subtle color like black, gunmetal or gray...
Don't you worry about blank. Let me worry about blank!

I have black in stock as well as a few other colors. I have more on order as well! Also -taking color suggestions. I can't seem to insert any polls into my post, so I guess just quote me with a reply on what you want to see.

@Texus Do you by any chance know what the Herbo Ti requires for volts/amps/watts around 6 on the dial? I've been wanting to do this but haven't taken measurements yet.

badbee

These are all the parts I used. I drilled a 1" diameter hole through the bottom of the wooden cup and secured the core using silicone gaskets on either side. The heater can be positioned in any direction and it can be quickly disconnected from the base.
Thank you, I love it when people provide details of their customizations. Do remove it from the stand when heating or is the arm adjusted to keep it exactly right on your water piece?

Thank you, I love it when people provide details of their customizations. Do remove it from the stand when heating or is the arm adjusted to keep it exactly right on your water piece?
I don't remove it usually. I adjust it to fit the piece. I'm planning to get a j hook soon to use with it.

Spatulator,

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
When the High Lighter becomes available, I will put it in a glass vase like I did in the video above.

Last edited:
Vaporooni,

Texus

Don't you worry about blank. Let me worry about blank!

I have black in stock as well as a few other colors. I have more on order as well! Also -taking color suggestions. I can't seem to insert any polls into my post, so I guess just quote me with a reply on what you want to see.

@Texus Do you by any chance know what the Herbo Ti requires for volts/amps/watts around 6 on the dial? I've been wanting to do this but haven't taken measurements yet.
I think I have a multimeter around here somewhere. I'll see if I can figure out how to measure that for you. Real busy right now, so if I don't get back to you by end of weekend, shoot me a friendly reminder...

Texus,

Glorg

Hey so I’m having issues with the Hl staying in position in the glass tube, apparently my glass is the widest width option and the oring doesn’t seem tight enough, it holds in place when done but a mild shake can get the lightbulb falling back out the end. Any tips on this one? Otherwise when it’s seated in its working fine I just can’t leave it light up directionally or eventually it gets looser inside and moves backwards.

Glorg,

4everpushingaboulder

Yep. The cause seems to be the weight of the wires and cord constantly pulling on that light base every time you move it.
Once I secured the cord to the top of my heat shield it has stopped moving.

4everpushingaboulder,

howie105

High temp silicone sealer will secure the washer to the bulb base and a couple of more dabs can be used to increase the washers grip on the tube,

howie105,
Reactions: Glorg

Glorg

Glorg,

howie105

Hey do you mean something like this :
Thanks for the help it’s a weird vape so far but I am enjoying it quite a bit I just want to figure out this problem before I put too much work into my heat shield
I went with a different brand, but that's the idea. Depending on what you decide on for a heat shield the silicone can also be used to help insulate the shield from the hot core some. Good Luck

howie105,

gra.4083

Hey so I’m having issues with the Hl staying in position in the glass tube, apparently my glass is the widest width option and the oring doesn’t seem tight enough, it holds in place when done but a mild shake can get the lightbulb falling back out the end. Any tips on this one? Otherwise when it’s seated in its working fine I just can’t leave it light up directionally or eventually it gets looser inside and moves backwards.
I had this issue until I bought a heat shield that held the DC jack in place. This took all the pulling force off of the o ring.

I have a question for the vape gods! Anyone run this thing off a car's dc12v yet? I think I saw improvaper using a car jumper to vape it? I assume I need an inline dial to control voltage but anything other than that? Thanks y'all

gra.4083,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I had this issue until I bought a heat shield that held the DC jack in place. This took all the pulling force off of the o ring.

I have a question for the vape gods! Anyone run this thing off a car's dc12v yet? I think I saw improvaper using a car jumper to vape it? I assume I need an inline dial to control voltage but anything other than that? Thanks y'all

The ATM is capable of feeding off of a car cig port with the right adapter (cig to 5.5x2.1mm male). You can also feed some inline VVPS controllers with a cig port (like the dial LED controllers) though the smaller controllers aren't really current-rated high enough for a level of comfort with the HLT. I think those are rated 3a, and you need at least 4-5 for the HLT.

Just completed the simplex proto. Slammed together in moments. I think I'm keeping this first one! Really happy with it.IMG_20211111_121847035.jpgIMG_20211111_121907490.jpg

mysterion

The Vaporizer Avenger
Is there anyway to have this dual unit be able to run a flowerpot coil and my HLT?

or even 2 singles i could stack, where 1 is 12v for HLT and the other is the 120v for the flowerpot baller coil…. But its nice and clean looking with all in one type setup

mysterion,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Is there anyway to have this dual unit be able to run a flowerpot coil and my HLT?

or even 2 singles i could stack, where 1 is 12v for HLT and the other is the 120v for the flowerpot baller coil…. But its nice and clean looking with all in one type setup
The case can be modified to hold a PID controller. I'd need to source one that everyone likes but it's certainly feasible. I've only just started this ATM project the other day, so it's brand spankin' new and begging for customer input.

Discrete stackable units are also an option. I've done CAD work for many years, so I'm open to play some design games.

Texus

Anyone with @Ed's TnT Heat Shield have any tips for getting that last o-ring in place? I've got some big hands and having no luck stretching it across the glass diameter since the glass needs to be in the wood tube when it goes in. Driving me nuts!!

UPDATE: Finally got the o-ring in place. And got a few great hits, but then there were wisps of smoke coming off it at 6 V from my VapBong power supply (no awful smells). So unlplugged it, but now that simple circuit won't power on. Only thing I can think of is the bulb going out, so off to find a replacement (BTW any brand recommendations?).

Last edited:
Texus,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Anyone with @Ed's TnT Heat Shield have any tips for getting that last o-ring in place? I've got some big hands and having no luck stretching it across the glass diameter since the glass needs to be in the wood tube when it goes in. Driving me nuts!!

UPDATE: Finally got the o-ring in place. And got a few great hits, but then there were wisps of smoke coming off it at 6 V from my VapBong power supply (no awful smells). So unlplugged it, but now that simple circuit won't power on. Only thing I can think of is the bulb going out, so off to find a replacement (BTW any brand recommendations?).
Pull the core pack out and double check the blocking wire that's installed, to make sure it's not bridging out the bulb. That could certainly get hot enough (SS is resistance wire) and if bridged could be low enough ohms to kick the PSU into protect.

RedEyeFlightControl,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I think I have a multimeter around here somewhere. I'll see if I can figure out how to measure that for you. Real busy right now, so if I don't get back to you by end of weekend, shoot me a friendly reminder...
Curiosity got to me, so I got to that this morning. The Herbo Ti controller is def. a PWM controller. "4" on the dial is about 5v. "6" on the dial (about where I prefer to be) is about 7.75-8v. So, the ATM is a perfect advanced companion for the Herbo Ti as well!

Here's the runtime spec for Herbo Ti. It consumes about 15 watts or so at 7.77v. For reference the HLT consumes about 17.5w and the woodscents is about 9.3w @ 10.3v. The duplex here is running my HLT (top) and woodscents (bottom) and the simplex is running my herbo :) I'm actually thrilled to dump the herbo ti controller, since I'm always bumping the knob, and like every other analog controller, it was a guessing game up to this moment. :rockon:

1636731657828.png

Top Bottom