The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

4everpushingaboulder

Oh dang I managed to snap one up looks like a HL is coming to Canada. Any suggestions on a power supply available on Amazon Canada ?
Looks like this is the .ca version of the one I bought.

SHNITPWR 60W Universal Power Supply DC 3V 4V 4.5V 5V 6V 7V 7.5V 8V 9V 10V 11V 12V Adjustable Variable Power Adapter 100V-240V AC to DC Converter 1A 2A 2.5A 3A 4A 5A with 14 Tips & Polarity Converter
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08BL55LMB/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_J94Y9X37PT208467NG7M

4everpushingaboulder

the Highlighter is going to be back on Troy&Jerry in their ‘balls’ episode!

someTooL

All assembled over here and working. Working well ~6.3 to be exact. All wiring is good and no hot spot reading on connections or plug.

The tip of the bulb is against the screen but I have ~ 1/8 inch between socket and balls of free space. Is this the way or should I be having a more solid pack around the bulb?

someTooL,
Reactions: gra.4083

4everpushingaboulder

All assembled over here and working. Working well ~6.3 to be exact. All wiring is good and no hot spot reading on connections or plug.

The tip of the bulb is against the screen but I have ~ 1/8 inch between socket and balls of free space. Is this the way or should I be having a more solid pack around the bulb?
It won’t impact performance as long as you have the right weight of beads. I have a little extra space too and they rattle around if turn it the right way.

emily

Walnut HeatShield made by the one and only @Ed's TnT ! Been enjoying this beaut on my desk all week and thought I’d share it here!

What I would normally run at around 6.6-6.7v to get coffee brown abv, I run at ~5.3v. The heat-up time between hits even feels a bit quicker than no-heatshield (I’d give it a minute now vs 2 minutes w/o).
Nice looking setup with the heatshield! I notice that you've got your power plug installed inside of the heatshield, while all the other people using Ed's TNT heatshields have their power plugs hanging outside of the wooden unit on a cable. Have you done something special there to your highlighter to get it to fit completely inside the heatshield? Looks very tidy!

Kudzu407

Para-Vaper
Nice looking setup with the heatshield! I notice that you've got your power plug installed inside of the heatshield, while all the other people using Ed's TNT heatshields have their power plugs hanging outside of the wooden unit on a cable. Have you done something special there to your highlighter to get it to fit completely inside the heatshield? Looks very tidy!
I have mine flush now. I had it outside at first and just didn’t like it. I did nothing special to it. See second photo for how it’s done on the inside!

masonjars

All credit goes to @RedEyeFlightControl , the Higher Collective, and @Ed's TnT !

I just guided the braided wire along the edge of the heat shield underneath the power plug and just happens to fit really snug.
A2247555-104E-4AB3-895B-E0C5F42BAC08.jpeg7F4C665B-37E2-4DAA-9D96-F45350DCE80F.jpeg

masonjars

A little extra flavor from that plastic in the airpath?
You'd think the power plug would give it "a little extra flavor," but to my taste buds there is no difference in flavor at any temp. To be fair, I haven't done any side-by-side tests between 2 units (one with plug in/one without), I'm just going off of the few months using the HLT without the heatshield, and month or so since I've had the heatshield. If I ever get a second HLT I'd love to do a side-by-side taste test and share the results!

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
So here's a fun tidbit for anyone looking for a more precise out-of-the-box power supply for their HLT (or woodcents, vapbong, underdog, or any other 12v vape). I snagged one of these Sinilink XY3605 Voltage REGulators from amazon (basically a mini benchtop psu style buck-boost converter) and have been loving it with my HLT.

Something like "upgrade controller" you can get with other brands/vapes, but this one tells you what it's eating for lunch, can be programmed for time, current, temp, and voltage safeties, charts/graphs usage, can run in CV or CV modes, and takes a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel plug from at 12v 6a power brick. No voltage drift, either, once the core is hot :) She's been rock solid. My ONLY complaint is the sheisty plastic encoder knob on the top - it's the only "cheap" feeling part. I'm probably going to replace mine with a print of some sort. You can actually even put this inline with your cheapie amazon VVPS left on max/12v and let this take over its workload.

Oh, did I mention this can run off of your car's 12v socket (or any other source up to 36v)? Or a USB C PD portable battery?

This VREG is doing a splendid job! I bought a second for my woodscents (or whatever else I have on my desk at that time).

I'm also working on a DIY version of this vreg that uses a slightly more simple buck boost module and some printed parts- more to come on that soon :)

The XY3605 has M2 (2mm) banana jacks. You will need to adapt this to your HLT, if you buy this VREG. This is quickly approaching my "highly recommended" list for HLT upgrades. I've ordered some blank M2's to use with a DC power jack, and a M-M 5.5x2.1 extension cable for a more versatile solution.

I'm currently proto'ing a DIY style unit for one of my customers - more to follow.

Stay lifted, Frients :)

1636131482429.png

1636132194527.png
1636132208069.png
1636132365329.png
edit:typo

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
So here's a fun tidbit for anyone looking for a more precise out-of-the-box power supply for their HLT (or woodcents, vapbong, underdog, or any other 12v vape). I snagged one of these Sinilink XY3605 Voltage REGulators from amazon (basically a mini benchtop psu style buck-boost converter) and have been loving it with my HLT.

Something like "upgrade controller" you can get with other brands/vapes, but this one tells you what it's eating for lunch, can be programmed for time, current, temp, and voltage safeties, charts/graphs usage, can run in CV or CV modes, and takes a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel plug from at 12v 6a power brick. No voltage drift, either, once the core is hot :) She's been rock solid. My ONLY complaint is the sheisty plastic encoder knob on the top - it's the only "cheap" feeling part. I'm probably going to replace mine with a print of some sort. You can actually even put this inline with your cheapie amazon VVPS left on max/12v and let this take over its workload.

Oh, did I mention this can run off of your car's 12v socket (or any other source up to 36v)? Or a USB C PD portable battery?

This VREG is doing a splendid job! I bought a second for my woodscents (or whatever else I have on my desk at that time).

I'm also working on a DIY version of this vreg that uses a slightly more simple buck boost module and some printed parts- more to come on that soon :)

The XY3605 has M2 (2mm) banana jacks. You will need to adapt this to your HLT, if you buy this VREG. This is quickly approaching my "highly recommended" list for HLT upgrades. I've ordered some blank M2's to use with a DC power jack, and a M-M 5.5x2.1 extension cable for a more versatile solution.

I'm currently proto'ing a DIY style unit for one of my customers - more to follow.

Stay lifted, Frients :)

View attachment 14070

View attachment 14071
View attachment 14072
View attachment 14073
edit:typo
I have a similar model with an app control, i have suggested it at few threads before. I can confirm it is rock solid maybe 6 months already,
To be honest i am using it mostly with the remote. DO you have one with your basic model ?
1636135269056.png1636135343083.png
I am diggin this one cause i dont like knobs too. I am running it at 30w without any issues.
1636135110456.png

Last edited:

SixStringToker

Naked member
Very nice @RedEyeFlightControl! These work quite well, too:

717JaWLVxFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's basically a DiY solution using a common buck booster module that someone has put together and is selling as a mini power supply.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Very nice @RedEyeFlightControl! These work quite well, too:

717JaWLVxFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's basically a DiY solution using a common buck booster module that someone has put together and is selling as a mini power supply.
Same basic concept! Ideally tailored specifically for vape IO with native 5.5mm jacks all around, in this use case :)

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer

thunderstealer1337

yea I was gonna get that zebrawood thingy, but then realized I can just make some log like you just pictured for less then $20 worth, so I stopped looking at edstnt to stop the vas haha

Top Bottom