The HI

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
lol sorry - completely misstook you with someone from years ago having a similar cartoonish avatar..

maybe momofthegoons, but these are the moments where you better stop talking.. :lol:

Haha yeah I remember them, used to be a mod, but left because they didn't like the way things run here? I think Alan liked them and used to participate here more when they were active back then...

thanks for your input!, will check the advanced telemetry module, and as you may have seen i edited my post, as i found further info on alans web page. ✌️

Oh, cool, yeah he has updated the toasty top website to be very informative now!

JBone65

In case anyone is interested, I've been enjoying the bamboo HI for 3 1/2 months. It looks so simple, practically idiot-proof, but I'm still learning how to use it efficiently, and get my consumption rate back down to normal.

In a nutshell, I'm learning to use smaller and smaller loads, and getting more consistent hits as a result. With the 3/8" SS tube, I'm now filling the small chamber only 40-60%. (I think it was @Shitsnacks that recommend this.?)

Originally, I needed to overfill it in order to get a good first hit without ignition. Took multiple hits when I only wanted 1-2, and the hits weren't as good on average, etc.

Instead of being careful with a larger load, I'm ripping into the smaller load, to get as much as I can. This seems to provide a reliable "full spectrum" sweet hit, leaving a decent second hit to finish it.

Probably obvious to most folks, took me awhile. 🤪

the_hexx

Team Hash
Sooo it seems that I'm in the queue for a Bamboo HI once these become available. New to logs, so very excited :)

Following Alan's advice, I opted for the 3/8" ss heater cover as I'm more of a microdoser. From here onwards it's all a bit overwhelming with all the different options for roasting tubes etc. What would you recommend for a HI starter pack so to speak? I'd be looking for a 14 mm WPA plus 2-3 roasting tubes to play around with. I'd be using it 90% for Morrocan-style hash if that helps.

I'm sure this has has been answered before but couldn't find info after a brief search so please bear with me!

JBone65

Sooo it seems that I'm in the queue for a Bamboo HI once these become available. New to logs, so very excited :)

Following Alan's advice, I opted for the 3/8" ss heater cover as I'm more of a microdoser. From here onwards it's all a bit overwhelming with all the different options for roasting tubes etc. What would you recommend for a HI starter pack so to speak? I'd be looking for a 14 mm WPA plus 2-3 roasting tubes to play around with. I'd be using it 90% for Morrocan-style hash if that helps.

I'm sure this has has been answered before but couldn't find info after a brief search so please bear with me!
Have been using the bamboo HI for 5-6 months. It definitely works. I'm still learning, but getting relatively consistent satisfying hits with the 3/8" SS tube.

There is a learning curve to use it more efficiently. I struggled at first, trying to find the balance, i.e. a strong hit without initiating combustion. A lot of the time I would err on the weak side and get a pathetic hit, then I would start a fire, etc.

Making matters worse, I tended to overload it, because I sometimes got a good taste by doing that. I now think that increased the likelihood of combustion.

These days I grind the weed fairly fine, fill the small chamber 1/2 & 3/4 full, and make sure to get two good hits. The smaller loads tastes better IMO and seems less likely to combust at 11.7 volts.

You will occasionally waste weed due to loading the wrong end of the tube. Eventually your fingers learn how to hold it and that almost stops happening.

It generates more "aroma" than my old portable device as well. I need stealthiness so it's a reliable garage device for me. Unfortunately the garage is 18°f this morning, so I'm trying to control the smell indoors.

My consumption rate is higher than it was with my old portable device, mostly due to getting two hits instead of one, but that isn't all bad....

I will eventually buy another portable device, but this works fine for now.

Last edited:
JBone65,
Reactions: the_hexx

the_hexx

Team Hash
@JBone65 Thanks for all the info. I thought a log would be a more of a plug in and go situation but I guess the learning curve is still something to be dealt with 🤷‍♂️

Do you have a favourite roasting tube or other accessory to recommend?

the_hexx,

JBone65

@JBone65 Thanks for all the info. I thought a log would be a more of a plug in and go situation but I guess the learning curve is still something to be dealt with 🤷‍♂️

Do you have a favourite roasting tube or other accessory to recommend?
I only paid for a bamboo HI and a 3/8" SS tube. It came with a few small accessories and a larger paper tube.

The paper tube works great. It's sized to fit onto the lip of the heating element instead of sliding fully inside. It holds more, thus gives sweeter hits. It's s really just two precisely sized rubber bands and a round cork grip, the paper can be changed anytime in 20 seconds. Interesting but it uses a load of weed, good for giving a novice, or a guest, a vape hit. A first timer will struggle with the small tube.

JBone65

The bamboo HI is acting up. Shuts off. It could be the power jack on the bamboo. Anyone else have issues or know what's happening? Thanks.

JBone65,

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
The bamboo HI is acting up. Shuts off. It could be the power jack on the bamboo. Anyone else have issues or know what's happening? Thanks.
Might be the connector; might be the cord 🤷‍♂️ Take a look here 👇

darkstar72

Check the vvps chords; my original one got frayed. I just replaced the vvps with a new one for like $15 from amazon.

darkstar72,
Reactions: JBone65

JBone65

The bamboo HI finally quit. I suspect one of the soldered leads has come loose inside the adapter. Had enough clues and advice to have seen this coming and ordered a replacement vvps yesterday. My alternative vaporizers suck. Guess what I'll be doing for the next day or two? :ugh:

Shit Snacks

The bamboo HI finally quit. I suspect one of the soldered leads has come loose inside the adapter. Had enough clues and advice to have seen this coming and ordered a replacement vvps yesterday. My alternative vaporizers suck. Guess what I'll be doing for the next day or two? :ugh:

I'm so glad you have been loving this so much after I suggested it to you when you were so hooked on the hopper! You see backups are important, be it the power supply, the vape, or whatever, could be a good idea to grab another one of these logs (with a different core why not since Alan offers so many) just to be even safer :tup:

JBone65

I'm so glad you have been loving this so much after I suggested it to you when you were so hooked on the hopper! You see backups are important, be it the power supply, the vape, or whatever, could be a good idea to grab another one of these logs (with a different core why not since Alan offers so many) just to be even safer :tup:
I appreciate the advice. The little HI is powerful and enjoyable. Is also simple, easy, quick, reliable (normally) and relatively efficient once you get the hang of it. In some ways, using the HI is similar to using an old school one hit pipe (like I've been doing until my adapter arrives later today). :leaf::spliff:

Edit: I don't miss some things about the Hopper, like cleaning hassles and batteries, but I liked the overall efficiency and portability of it. Grasshopper might rise again!!!!

Last edited:

cluffy

Vaker
So, I moved, for the 5th time in 5 years. After the 2nd move, I couldn't find my HI. As luck has it, on this move I found the special box that contained it. But no mouthpiece! So I rigged up a wand from Da Buddha and an ELB from the cloud evo. Works incredibly, the loaded ELB fits right over the HI and into the wand. Biggest bowl I ever vaped on a wood vape!.

Edit:
lol, I've been away from this site so long I forgot what a log vape was called!

Edit2: A pic for the non-believers...

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Does anyone know the rough waiting time for these beautiful vapes. I understand it can't be exact but how long did buyers wait until they could purchase. Do they ever turn up n FC classifieds? They seem like a piece that an owner would want to keep and cherish.

Thanks in advance.

happynomoretobacco

Does anyone know the rough waiting time for these beautiful vapes. I understand it can't be exact but how long did buyers wait until they could purchase. Do they ever turn up n FC classifieds? They seem like a piece that an owner would want to keep and cherish.

Thanks in advance.
Ask Alan for a second Quality - i got mine in short time. Works perfect just a tiny scratch in the wood. And it was cheaper... And Yes i keep mine no Intention to sell - maybe i buy a second :rockon:

Shit Snacks

Thanks in advance.

They do pop up occasionally, but he always has stock to sell if you are not picky, just reach out to get on the list and ask what can be had now... very reasonably priced too!

Finessseee

What’s everyone’s favorite direct draw stem? I plan on snagging a couple short glass wpa, as I’ll mainly use this device through glass, but am interested in snagging a direct draw stem to go with my order. Any suggestions?

Trying to keep things simple, affordable and efficient. Thanks!

SpudBob

What’s everyone’s favorite direct draw stem? I plan on snagging a couple short glass wpa, as I’ll mainly use this device through glass, but am interested in snagging a direct draw stem to go with my order. Any suggestions?

I just use the SS one, 7/16, that Alan sent with the HI. He included a silicone sleeve that you roll over to seal most female glass devices. Works like a Bomb!

JBone65

I only have the indestructible 7/16" SS stem. It gets the job done.

It's also easy to keep it mostly clean. I let the dirty screen and the tube soak in a small plastic bottle in an inch of 91% ISO once every week or so. You can shake the bottle to speed up the process if anxious.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.

It's also easy to keep it mostly clean. I let the dirty screen and the tube soak in a small plastic bottle in an inch of 91% ISO once every week or so. You can shake the bottle to speed up the process if anxious.
@Finessseee

Alan makes fantastic tubes, and always has some in stock. Wood, cork, glass lined, paper.
my favorite are the wood or glass, but Alan will tell you the paper give you the best flavor and are easiest to clean. He has some new tube models designed to use a paper tube inside a wood tube.

great stuff

SpudBob

All I do to clean the screen/stem is get some tongs and hold it under HOT running water for 45-60 seconds changing the direction through the tube every 10 seconds or so. The HOT water takes care of 95% of the buildup. I then just blow, after it cools a bit, the excess water. The Hot SS tube evaporates most of the water left over after blowing out. I then place the mostly dry tube on the HI for a minute or two changing ends a time or two and bada boom its done. No ISO needed! I do confess that my kitchen tap water has its own small 5 gal water heater and its VERY hot!!!

Top Bottom