The HI

JBone65

Enjoying the little Bamboo HI.

Have gotten lazy using a Kannastor grinder, dipping the straw directly into the medium-fine product that results.

Just for grins, ground a couple of loads a little finer between the thumb and forefinger. What I ground several days ago was getting dry, but was surprised to find that it had dried into hard, sharp little chunks that took a couple of minutes to gently break up with fingers.

As expected (with 20:20 hindsight), the little pile got significantly larger, and the hit quality was significantly better.

I was concerned that my usage rate has increased with the HI, now I know I was getting only half or two-thirds efficiency. Have been at it for several months, finally learning how to use it efficiently for maximum enjoyment. Anyone have an easier way to achieve a quick final grind on a small amount?

Have learned this same lesson several times.... :hmm::leaf:

Last edited:

darkstar72

Enjoying the little Bamboo HI.

Have gotten lazy using a Kannastor grinder, dipping the straw directly into the medium-fine product that results.

Just for grins, ground a couple of loads a little finer between the thumb and forefinger. What I ground several days ago was getting dry, but was surprised to find that it had dried into hard, sharp little chunks that took a couple of minutes to gently break up with fingers.

As expected (with 20:20 hindsight), the little pile got significantly larger, and the hit quality was significantly better.

I was concerned that my usage rate has increased with the HI, now I know I was getting only half or two-thirds efficiency. Have been at it for several months, finally learning how to use it efficiently for maximum enjoyment. Anyone have an easier way to achieve a quick final grind on a small amount?

Have learned this same lesson several times.... :hmm::leaf:
I'm not sure what you mean by "between the thumb and forefinger." I find with my Santa Cruz shredder, I grind some bud and it appears to fluff up to more once ground. I grind upside down as I think it grinds it a little finer. Then it gets stored in a small glass cosmetic jar. I don't suck up much and tamp down a little to pack slightly. For efficiency, maybe pack less and use a small chamber. You can always load another. I prefer more green hits that way and they don't have to be lung busters. What stem or roasting tube do you use?

darkstar72,

JBone65

I'm not sure what you mean by "between the thumb and forefinger." I find with my Santa Cruz shredder, I grind some bud and it appears to fluff up to more once ground. I grind upside down as I think it grinds it a little finer. Then it gets stored in a small glass cosmetic jar. I don't suck up much and tamp down a little to pack slightly. For efficiency, maybe pack less and use a small chamber. You can always load another. I prefer more green hits that way and they don't have to be lung busters. What stem or roasting tube do you use?
The 3/8" SS tube most of the time.

I might have one particular batch that is a little more sticky and tougher to grind than some others. I learned with my grasshopper io to take an extra minute or two and make sure there's no hard clumps because they tend to come out green and just take up space. A quick once over with the thumb and forefinger make for better hits IMO.

I sometimes use a larger paper tube just for the intense flavor but it holds more than I normally want to consume.

JBone65,

darkstar72

Yeah, I get what you're referring to now. Sounds like you have some rock solid bud. I also prefer a medium fine grind.

darkstar72,

JBone65

With a full chamber of fine medium-dry grind in the 3/8" tube I'm now getting 3 enjoyable hits per load compared to two okay hits before with the semi course grind.

Most important than the number of hits per load, the hits are richer and more earthy. It's taken me several months but I'm finally learning ways to use the HI efficiently.

Yes, I'm probably slower than most. But I'll get there eventually. :myday::leaf:

Edit: This batch I ground 10 days ago is gradually drying out. The final grind is getting easier but it still hits great.

Last edited:

Zagala

I reunited with my 10mm Bamboo Heat Island after 3 months on the shelf due to broken glass heater cover. I was so sad when the glass broke after the device fell from my hands. I was so relieved and happy that I did not need to buy another one ,@Alan showed me how to remove safely the broken glass and confirmed he had replacements for purchase and two came a couple of weeks ago along with my 14mm male end GTR and other stuff I had already ordered. The glass heater covers did not come alone as I now have two new metal tubes I can use with it thanks to the settings that @Alan put together with his universal tube on one and silicone sleeve on the other and they work great. I use the HI almost daily during the day or in rotation with the 3/8” Hi and my UD SC3. I keep the dial at 9.5v/6w and I have enjoyable hits on this HI. Being fortunate to own several log vapes I tend more and more to set the dial at a preferred level for each one of them based on how I use them and leave it. That solves for me the challenge of choosing which ones will be on. I like my 3/8” HI but the heater on this light 10mm HI is underrated and deserves respect, it is powerful and quite versatile imho.

JBone65

Can I ask what voltage folks prefer for the Bamboo HI?

As I recall, it would combust easily on 11.7 - 11.8 volts before. Now I'm getting nice long hits at 12 volts with no sign of combustion.

JBone65,

GoldenBud

As I recall, it would combust easily on 11.7 - 11.8 volts before. Now I'm getting nice long hits at 12 volts with no sign of combustion.
which stem? the stainless steel stem 12.0v is too much IMHO.. for Ti tip (3/8 HI) 12.0v is great..for the paper WPA too..

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Grass Yes

JBone65

which stem? the stainless steel stem 12.0v is too much IMHO.. for Ti tip (3/8 HI) 12.0v is great..for the paper WPA too..
3/8" SS. This weed was ground two weeks ago and it's drying out, but it's hitting great and doesn't seem to want to combust.

Can different strains combust under significantly different conditions?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
3/8" SS. This weed was ground two weeks ago and it's drying out, but it's hitting great and doesn't seem to want to combust.

It's not just strains, literally every herbs, the same strain even, are going to be different, depending on the growth, but also just every time, and the way they dry out to the point when you use them, yeah all of those variables affect the vapor especially with pure convection on demand like this if you are keeping all the other variables the same using the same stems and settings... That's how you see there is variance, it's more an analog experience this way, most anything with herbs really, I have found it difficult to find any that are universally consistent?

GoldenBud

yeah
gth will support 12.0v with fast draw not dark ABV
slurricane abv will be darker
(it's a phenotype matter not strain, it depends how good the pheno is basically..)
12.0v is for glass wpa/paper stem/ti tip usually
riding the line sort of
if your weed has more THCA/Terpenes and less h2o content it will support higher temp
if your weed is hard as a stone... it's good and will probably support high temps.. if you find it hard to "squeeze" the bud (which must be frosty) and it's as strong as stone, it will probably support higher temps...
not sure? just use fast or very fast draw and inspect ABV

GoldenBud,

darkstar72

I reunited with my 10mm Bamboo Heat Island after 3 months on the shelf due to broken glass heater cover. I was so sad when the glass broke after the device fell from my hands. I was so relieved and happy that I did not need to buy another one ,@Alan showed me how to remove safely the broken glass and confirmed he had replacements for purchase and two came a couple of weeks ago along with my 14mm male end GTR and other stuff I had already ordered. The glass heater covers did not come alone as I now have two new metal tubes I can use with it thanks to the settings that @Alan put together with his universal tube on one and silicone sleeve on the other and they work great. I use the HI almost daily during the day or in rotation with the 3/8” Hi and my UD SC3. I keep the dial at 9.5v/6w and I have enjoyable hits on this HI. Being fortunate to own several log vapes I tend more and more to set the dial at a preferred level for each one of them based on how I use them and leave it. That solves for me the challenge of choosing which ones will be on. I like my 3/8” HI but the heater on this light 10mm HI is underrated and deserves respect, it is powerful and quite versatile imho.
@Zagala Sounds like the 10mm glass heater cover HI is a cool vape. How does it roast differently compared to your 3/8" steel heater cover HI? I have the 3/8" one and really like it. When my name come up I may have to get a bamboo glass one like yours.

darkstar72,

Zagala

@Zagala Sounds like the 10mm glass heater cover HI is a cool vape. How does it roast differently compared to your 3/8" steel heater cover HI? I have the 3/8" one and really like it. When my name come up I may have to get a bamboo glass one like yours.
I am not great at taking pictures but I did a quick test for you to give you an idea. I am a low temp flavour chaser type of user so I generally don’t push my vapes to their full power only exceptionally for fun or more intense effects when needed, so the results on the pictures and parameters should tell you how well it can extract even at this setting. Extraction is generally pretty clean and you can get what you want I think playing with draw, voltage, load.., it responds well to different types of use. I have not used it higher than 10.3v, and beware the heater in the 10mm is more powerful than the 3/8” ss one, @Alan warned me, so if you set the dial on the vvps at a given level for the 3/8” do dial down a bit for the 10mm. I like and enjoy both and while mostly microdosing I go for a larger bowl at times and it is sip vs. rip then. I recommend.
BTW I used the UD 14mm WPA/DD for the quick test. Apologies for the pic quality. Let me know things you’d like me to test and I will gladly do so so much I love this 10mm and missed it so much when the heater cover broke! Talking about that incident it made me even more impressed when I was able to have a close look at the heater and wondered how that tiny build on frail wires can deliver as much power as it can if you want to get there!

Edit: ‘Heater’ instead of ‘Hester’

Last edited:

darkstar72

I am not great at taking pictures but I did a quick test for you to give you an idea. I am a low temp flavour chaser type of user so I generally don’t push my vapes to their full power only exceptionally for fun or more intense effects when needed, so the results on the pictures and parameters should tell you how well it can extract even at this setting. Extraction is generally pretty clean and you can get what you want I think playing with draw, voltage, load.., it responds well to different types of use. I have not used it higher than 10.3v, and beware the heater in the 10mm is more powerful than the 3/8” ss one, @Alan warned me, so if you set the dial on the vvps at a given level for the 3/8” do dial down a bit for the 10mm. I like and enjoy both and while mostly microdosing I go for a larger bowl at times and it is sip vs. rip then. I recommend.
BTW I used the UD 14mm WPA/DD for the quick test. Apologies for the pic quality. Let me know things you’d like me to test and I will gladly do so so much I love this 10mm and missed it so much when the heater cover broke! Talking about that incident it made me even more impressed when I was able to have a close look at the heater and wondered how that tiny build on frail wires can deliver as much power as it can if you want to get there!

Edit: ‘Heater’ instead of ‘Hester’
Glad you are loving the glass HI. A larger heater sounds interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I too like small doses and I feel like my HI excels at that. I'm also considering a 14F GTR when my name come up again. I was thinking I would use a 14M to 14M adapter and position a flat or basket screen on the middle of the hole that runs through it. Not sure if a GTR would be that different to the traditional style log (3/8" ss heater cover HI) that I already have. Or the glass cover HI for that matter. Choices, real first world problems - which @Alan masterpiece to get next? Maybe just a duplicate / backup, maybe something new, or maybe one of each?

Last edited:
darkstar72,

Shit Snacks

Glad you are loving the glass HI. A larger heater sounds interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I too like small doses and I feel like my HI excels at that. I'm also considering a 14F GTR when my name come up again. I was thinking I would use a 14M to 14M adapter and position a flat or basket screen on the middle of the hole that runs through it. Not sure if a GTR would be that different to the traditional style log (3/8" ss heater cover HI) that I already have. Or the glass cover HI for that matter. Choices, real first world problems - which @Alan masterpiece to get next? Maybe just a duplicate / backup, maybe something new, or maybe one of each?

Well I don't know, I think that seems pretty unnecessary to get 14 mm for the GTR, instead of getting an 18 mm female or male injector log with the larger air flow for the larger heater, can still do small bowls too... and HI are already very capable with the smaller loads and stems too, just odd to me though 14mm over HI core could be a good thing if someone has a lot of those stems? I just find them tedious personally I like the extra room even if I'm loading tiny bowls...

Zagala

Well I don't know, I think that seems pretty unnecessary to get 14 mm for the GTR, instead of getting an 18 mm female or male injector log with the larger air flow for the larger heater, can still do small bowls too... and HI are already very capable with the smaller loads and stems too, just odd to me though 14mm over HI core could be a good thing if someone has a lot of those stems? I just find them tedious personally I like the extra room even if I'm loading tiny bowls...
@Shit Snacks - the 14mm male GTR that I received from @Alan - a result of experimenting with the GTRs, he said - has amazing airflow thanks to the design of the heater cover - will talk about it more in the proper thread. It also handles well tiny loads as well as larger loads, especially with the glass/wooden tubes and even wooden pipes that came with it. I am still discovering it but will do a review in the GTR thread, it could be attractive to some, I think. I hear you though and an 18mm Female GTR definitely, before or when my name comes up on @Alan’ s list!

darkstar72

Yeah, going for something more different as opposed to more similar than what I have makes the most sense. I appreciate your opinion on a lot of fc topics.

JBone65

I think someone said it in a previous post, so I started vaping lighter loads in the 3/8" SS tube, maybe around 2/3 full.

I was a little surprised that it tastes and hits a little better this way.

I still get a decent second hit, whereas I was getting three with a full chamber, but this is probably the closest I've come to a "1-hitter" vaporizer.

I just pulled a couple of different strains out of the freezer and blended them together.
Didn't renew my medical card in July, trying to rely on and use up the accumulated stash. I had the best stash of my life a year ago, but getting tired of it, super anxious for recreational cannabis to be voted-in three months from now so I can take advantage of a totally saturated OKC market.

Anyway, getting an enjoyable clean hit with the bamboo HI and a lighter load, the old stash is suddenly more enjoyable and my consumption rate seems to be reduced (at a time when supplies are dwindling and I'm too cheap to pay the $200 renewal cost). Might be a figment of a stoned imagination but I think the results are better as well....😵‍💫:leaf:

Edit: Have tracked my consumption rate for years. Typically used 1 oz every two months with my grasshopper io, have been concerned about burning thru 1 oz every 5 weeks or so with the bamboo HI (I've had to rely on it 100% lately). This little tweak should make up some of the difference in efficiency.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Hey "Mum" - is that you? :)

... no? lol I don't get it

Sorry cant seem to find a threat about more tecnical info. Seems low voltage in and low voltage out, so no usual variable voltage power supply with 110/230V input.

I don't know exactly, but if you skim backwards I'm sure you can find the info here or if you use the search feature for the word micro perhaps? Alan knows all the specs of course, I think you are correct though that the 110 / 230 is only enano I know of no other log that uses that instead of 12-24v vvps (all I've ever used for my underdog and heat islands, now I use them with cloud connoisseur vapes as well)

Any link to more tecnical infos? Seems to be making some stabilization?

I ask because i wanted to have that too, a stabilization over a hit, so temp does not decrease. I did it with 18V pulse width modulation using an programmed esp32, detecting changes in current and voltage in order to countersteer (is that the word?) and push wattage at the end of a hit.

Sorry I don't know the details as I said, but I would recommend checking out the advanced telemetry module as well made by REFC labs, that is my favorite vvps these days (I have a mini from Alan that is also a bit different from the micro I have as well and there are cheap versions sold by Amazon that come free with a lot of these type of vapes now) forgot you could run these logs just direct off wall power, I never even tried, but I appreciate the simplicity!

m0qu4

... no? lol I don't get it

I don't know exactly, but if you skim backwards I'm sure you can find the info here or if you use the search feature for the word micro perhaps? Alan knows all the specs of course, I think you are correct though that the 110 / 230 is only enano I know of no other log that uses that instead of 12-24v vvps (all I've ever used for my underdog and heat islands, now I use them with cloud connoisseur vapes as well)

Sorry I don't know the details as I said, but I would recommend checking out the advanced telemetry module as well made by REFC labs, that is my favorite vvps these days (I have a mini from Alan that is also a bit different from the micro I have as well and there are cheap versions sold by Amazon that come free with a lot of these type of vapes now) forgot you could run these logs just direct off wall power, I never even tried, but I appreciate the simplicity!
lol sorry - completely misstook you with someone from years ago having a similar cartoonish avatar..

maybe momofthegoons, but these are the moments where you better stop talking.. :lol:

thanks for your input!, will check the advanced telemetry module, and as you may have seen i edited my post, as i found further info on alans web page. ✌️

Pukka

maybe momofthegoons, but these are the moments where you better stop talking.. :lol:
Momofthegoons lives over across the river in the VaporAsylum neighborhood ... Dog I spend too much time online to come up with that offhand ... 🙃

Top Bottom