The HI

Vapefanatic

I'm really interested in your thoughts on glass vs ss cover heater @Vapefanatic !
Those square HI look so sexy!
I'm so sorry buddy. Been busy with vapes and life. Once i get some free time, i test my vapes, get super baked, then come post on FC lol. I'm not done testing them yet and it won't be fair to state any preference yet. Still testing temps and loads. Not very used to the relatively smaller loads yet.

Perhaps older users can chime in? As of now, I'm having an easier time with the glass and halogen heater. The ss Heater i received is on the higher power side, so may take some time to dial in.

My guess is you won't go wrong with either.

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
@Vapefanatic Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but how was your experience with customs? Being from Greece I'm kinda worried. There's a problem with lack of CE certification in Europe specifically. There are a couple of log builders in the UK but with Brexit we're back to dealing with customs.

Vapefanatic

@Vapefanatic Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but how was your experience with customs? Being from Greece I'm kinda worried. There's a problem with lack of CE certification in Europe specifically. There are a couple of log builders in the UK but with Brexit we're back to dealing with customs.
You got nothing to worry about. Alan will take care of ya.

I'll be back with a review of them all. Just need to dial them in first. Have fun, my Greek friend.

SpudBob

My HIs and iHeat finally arrived. Been a little busy to try them all at once. Besides, I don't think I have that great a tolerance to attempt it anyways lol. Gonna take my time. They look fabulous though.

Holy Crap ! Nice colection. So cool to see new interest in Alans work. I use my HI EVERY DAY!!! Its plugged in 24/7!!! So handy and does what it does! Nice to see Alan continue the relentless pusuit of vapor PERFECTION! You da Man Bro!!!

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Guys I'm one step before assembling my order, only have some questions regarding roasting tubes/stems/tips. Please bear with me :drool:

What I want to get is one glass wpa tube and three direct draw tubes (two glass, one ss). The problems is I'm a little confused regarding these parts.

First of all what is the roasting tube exactly? Is it where the basket sits? Do I need a stem with a roasting tube or are they the same thing? Is it the metal piece in the first picture or is it the highlighted part in the next picture below?
rolltipglasstube.jpg
unnamed.png

Alan sent me this picture of the wpa he's making now, similar to the one on the far left in @Vapefanatic 's previous post. Is it also used for direct draw? If it is, which of the two glass mouthpieces (above & below) do you prefer? Or do you think solo stems are better for direct draw?
DSC04378-4.jpg

And finally, can the ss stem be adapted for connection to 14mm or do I need a specific ss wpa stem? From what I understand that's what @GoldenBud did here. He's using a 14mm male/10mm female to connect the ss stem to his perc. But there's also a glass piece inside the ss stem which confuses me.
wart.jpg

That's all!

GoldenBud

And finally, can the ss stem be adapted for connection to 14mm or do I need a specific ss wpa stem? From what I understand that's what @GoldenBud did here. He's using a 14mm male/10mm female to connect the ss stem to his perc. But there's also a glass piece inside the ss stem which confuses me.
wart.jpg

That's all!

haha bro I forgot to warn you here ... do not use the insert with any glass WPAs... the insert I had is broke now.... no need for that....
only for dry use it has its place....the insert is from lamart.ch , the tubo guy.. the insert for dry usage is really great.. it worked amazingly well.. i recommend and i think the shipping from his store for small things is cheap... i moved to water usage because it is still better for me.

I didn't like the glass WPA so much, the Arizer's Solo II WPAs are better imho!

Vapefanatic

Guys I'm one step before assembling my order, only have some questions regarding roasting tubes/stems/tips. Please bear with me :drool:

What I want to get is one glass wpa tube and three direct draw tubes (two glass, one ss). The problems is I'm a little confused regarding these parts.
Since the GonG (Glass on Glass) Tube has a 14mm joint, it is both a direct draw and WPA. So i guess you want two GonG and an ss tube? The ss tube comes with your HI so you don't need to purchase extra.

First of all what is the roasting tube exactly? Is it where the basket sits? Do I need a stem with a roasting tube or are they the same thing? Is it the metal piece in the first picture or is it the highlighted part in the next picture below?
rolltipglasstube.jpg
unnamed.png

Alan sent me this picture of the wpa he's making now, similar to the one on the far left in @Vapefanatic 's previous post. Is it also used for direct draw? If it is, which of the two glass mouthpieces (above & below) do you prefer? Or do you think solo stems are better for direct draw?
DSC04378-4.jpg
Roasting Tubes and stems means the same thing as far as I know. I use it interchangeably in my emails with Alan.

wart.jpg

That's all!
I don't know about the glass on the ss stem. Mine has a nylon or silicon sleeve on it that makes it a 14mm WPA as well. Actually, all my stems (ss, glass and wood) are both WPA and direct draw usable.

Hope this helps.

GoldenBud

I don't know about the glass on the ss stem. Mine has a nylon or silicon sleeve on it that makes it a 14mm WPA as well. Actually, all my stems (ss, glass and wood) are both WPA and direct draw usable.

Hope this helps.
you may know this guy too..
:whoa:
but for the ss stem, home usage? take the long one... cooling guaranteed. . .💨

Vapefanatic

I actually bought a full set of oak capsule stem with all the inserts. But in medium though cos I didn't see any cheap wood options for long stems lol. How did you know? :lol: :lol:

I actually have no idea how to use the inserts with the stems yet? Looking forward to finding out.

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Since the GonG (Glass on Glass) Tube has a 14mm joint, it is both a direct draw and WPA. So i guess you want two GonG and an ss tube? The ss tube comes with your HI so you don't need to purchase extra.

Roasting Tubes and stems means the same thing as far as I know. I use it interchangeably in my emails with Alan.

Hope this helps.

I finally get it now, thanks buddy :tup:

Great tip man. The shop looks great, cheap, and is in Europe! :love:

SquirrelMaster

I'm so sorry buddy. Been busy with vapes and life. Once i get some free time, i test my vapes, get super baked, then come post on FC lol. I'm not done testing them yet and it won't be fair to state any preference yet. Still testing temps and loads. Not very used to the relatively smaller loads yet.

Perhaps older users can chime in? As of now, I'm having an easier time with the glass and halogen heater. The ss Heater i received is on the higher power side, so may take some time to dial in.

My guess is you won't go wrong with either.
It sounds like the best thing to do order one of each if I'm hearing you right ;).

I look forward to the day my name comes up for a HI but I'm still over a year away iirc so I'll lurk until then. @Alan makes some amazing stuff, I need to start a wood stem list to ask him about turning.

Last edited:

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Alan told me in his last email that "There can be an issue of the water pressure pushing the herb out of the stem at the very end of the roast. A carburetor can relieve that problem, or slowly stop inhaling rather than stopping abruptly so the water doesn't fall quickly."

I got the Buzz honeycomb perc from Sneaky Pete which doesn't have a carb. Have you noticed the issue Alan mentioned to be too much of a hassle? And is there some carb adapter that I can put between the HI and the perc?
1_953de490-4ce3-4b50-b8a1-fe504d5bc573_1024x1024.jpg

vaporoufixtras,

Vapefanatic

Alan told me in his last email that "There can be an issue of the water pressure pushing the herb out of the stem at the very end of the roast. A carburetor can relieve that problem, or slowly stop inhaling rather than stopping abruptly so the water doesn't fall quickly."

I got the Buzz honeycomb perc from Sneaky Pete which doesn't have a carb. Have you noticed the issue Alan mentioned to be too much of a hassle? And is there some carb adapter that I can put between the HI and the perc?
Haven't had the issue but i also don't stop abruptly. The herb stays well in place for me. Hope it helps. What are you getting?

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Haven't had the issue but i also don't stop abruptly. The herb stays well in place for me. Hope it helps. What are you getting?

My final order should be:
  • 7/16" regural ss heater cover square HI (walnut/cherry) + ss tube
  • 2 x glass tubes
  • VVPS
  • Extra screens

Last edited:
vaporoufixtras,
Reactions: Whisper

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

That looks very similar to the bubbler I have from Kathy on dhgate, and I have had no issues using it with my heat islands. I always keep trying to clear though, inhale once the HI is sitting on the stem, turn it a bit back and forth as inhaling, then remove it and keep inhaling before then removing the stem... No herbal volcano blowback issue if you clear hits properly like this at least!

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
SS cartridge heater?

What's the difference with regular by the way?

That looks very similar to the bubbler I have from Kathy on dhgate, and I have had no issues using it with my heat islands. I always keep trying to clear though, inhale once the HI is sitting on the stem, turn it a bit back and forth as inhaling, then remove it and keep inhaling before then removing the stem... No herbal volcano blowback issue if you clear hits properly like this at least!

Thanks for the tip @Shit Snacks !

vaporoufixtras,

GoldenBud

the glass cover is just breakable and tastier than the SS cover... I wouldn't take the risk myself . if you are sure you will take care of it it's fine but SS is much durable....the taste should be better with the glass cover I'm pretty sure about it...

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah taste can be better, performance can be comparable, you will just have to run the glass at a higher voltage to get to the same level as the steel... The steel also takes a bit more to heat up the first time from cold, and there are some stems specific to each one...

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Alan informed of the differences between regular heater and cartridge heater. I'll quote him directly:

"Here is how the regular heater looks. It is a enameled glass
covering over wires wrapped around a ceramic core.
95vs25.jpg

The one on the top goes into the 7/16" ss heater covers and the one on
the bottom goes into the 3/8" ss heater covers.
They get to a nice roasting temperature at around 12 volts, so they work
well with a fixed voltage power supply in addition to a variable voltage
supply. I bend one of the wires down so that they run parallel to each
other for connecting to the power socket.

Here is how the cartridge heaters look before I remove the wire insulation.
51wVsxB3LgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It has wires wrapped around a ceramic core inside of a stainless sleeve.
Both wires are already parallel to each other, so it makes it easy to
connect to the power socket. It puts out too much heat at 12 volts, so
it requires the variable voltage power supply."

Decided to go with a cartridge like you @Vapefanatic, since I'm getting a VVPS & perc anyway and wouldn't mind the extra power.

Last edited:

Vapefanatic

I've received my HIs for a while now. Finally feel confident enough to give a preliminary review. Alan has helped me a great deal to dial in my HIs.

I received 3 HIs. Will go through them one by one, as best I can.

7/16 Walnut Square HI with SS Cartridge Heater:
This one is a beast. Took me a while to tame it. I did request for a higher powered heater so your experience may differ from mine. I combusted right away at 10.6V which was the voltage for my Vapbong. I figured why not? Big mistake lol.
Upon taking Alan's advice of hooking up a watt meter to determine wattage, things started to gel. I ended up at 9.95V to 10V and it was great. With stirring, I get very good clouds that tastes delicious, with very little material. It may be SS, but flavor is actually very good.

Favorite stem to use is the GonG and Wood.

I'll have to turn down voltage to around 8.8V or so to avoid combustion with the SS tubes though, so please be aware of that. Due to the smaller bowl and the conduction ability of SS, power has to be adjusted accordingly. Personally, I love it.

7/16 Walnut Square HI with Halogen Heater;
This one is an all rounder. I set it at max 12.4V. Very even extraction that don't require any stirring with the SS tubes, making it my favorite tube to use. Also very pretty as a night light if that's your thing.

May require slightly longer recovery time if you are a heavy hitter like myself. I can easily take 20-30 second draws without much effort. Sometimes even longer with my FlowerPots. So ymmv.

7/16 Bamboo HI with Glass Heater Cover:
This one is one for the sippers. Its one to pull out when you're in the mood to slowly roast some herb. Not a good idea to rush this one by poking the heater cover onto the load, unless its the last few hits or so. Rushing it will char the load. Slowly roasting it will give very good flavors. I also set this one at max 12.4V. But that's just me.

Only my Gong and Wooden Tube fits the glass HI so these two are my favorites.

Similarities:
Each unit I received looks gorgeous. Alan did a fine job.
Please note that these are log vapes that don't usually go over 10W or so. Even though a ton of innovation and improvements happened throughout the years, it is still a log vape. Alan is an awesome engineer but I'm guessing he sucks at magic lol. He can't turn a log vape into something it isn't.
With that being said, some recovery time is required, around 30secs or so. If you are a heavy hitter like me, it may take a little longer. When I want quick chain hitting sessions, I plug in 2 out of 3 of my HIs and take turns with them. If I want a marathon, I plug in all three. The combos then gets interesting. Who says VAS is a bad thing? LOL.

Casualty since receipt of HIs:
I broke one of my two GonGs. So, get a backup!

Conclusion:
I have a lot of vapes but I only get my logs from Alan. Price wise, it's the best value for money I've seen anywhere. For the price of some other premium logs, I can get my 3 HIs with stems and possibly still have some leftover.

Experience and knowledge wise, the man has been around since forever and knows the ins and outs of log vapes in general. Hard to beat that.

I'm sure there is more I can write about but i think it's suffice to say that I'm a satisfied customer.

Thank you, Alan!

Top Bottom