The HI

darkstar72

@jeffp glad to hear that you like the square heat island. I saw the classified and it was gone immediately. I wanted it. Will have to pull the trigger soon on a new one. At only $118 it crushes the other logs in price and I think it would preform as well or better as Alan is an engineer and constant innovator. I'd like to try out a few various roasting tubes. One day...

SquirrelMaster

@jeffp glad to hear that you like the square heat island. I saw the classified and it was gone immediately. I wanted it. Will have to pull the trigger soon on a new one. At only $118 it crushes the other logs in price and I think it would preform as well or better as Alan is an engineer and constant innovator. I'd like to try out a few various roasting tubes. One day...
I dont think there's a wait either if he has any stock. I'm holding out for a custom but that's at least another 18 months off iirc but if I really needed something I like that's there's a cheaper option to hold me over.

Vapefanatic

What's the difference between the regular and square HI? Is it only the shape? I'm rather amazed at the low price. Am also new at this so can someone give me a HI crash course?

darkstar72

@Vapefanatic my understanding is that is a log is a log (all very similar) and that your VAS will be cured with one. They are impossible to beat, except they are not portable (plug in only). So if you seek top shelf flavor and efficiency then you should own a log. Alan, the sole employee, of heat island/toasty top (my assumption) is a trained engineer and big time vape enthusiast/innovator. While he may not advertise or push his product like his competitors (enano, wood scents, or underdog), I think he is the one to support. I say this because I think his design is possibly superior and because the stem/roasting tubes research/ innovations make a difference. Remember a log vape like his offers three different diameter chamber sizes. A dial son the chord controls the roasting temp. A game changer for most coming from portables. Plus wide open air path / no resistance. But then I don't have a log yet, just speculation. ..

Vapefanatic

I've gotten a reply from Alan and he is just awesome! Words cannot describe how much I appreciate his patience with me.

I just need to understand my options with the 7/16 heater. Then put together and order asap before it all sells out lol. I'm adamant in getting a square HI! Also need to figure out if I want a standard or halogen heater? Or both if they can be switched out?

I can't wait but I know Alan is busy. Not even sure if he is 100% yet so not gonna be too impatient.

Trackrat

I reached out to Alan and he responded that he has some square HI's on hand. Always want one . So I ordered one, the turbo tube and the extension for the cord .should be here Tuesday. Ask me if I'm excited. Hell ya, you betcha, by golly

Vapefanatic

I reached out to Alan and he responded that he has some square HI's on hand. Always want one . So I ordered one, the turbo tube and the extension for the cord .should be here Tuesday. Ask me if I'm excited. Hell ya, you betcha, by golly
I'm working on getting one too! Might have to settle for a center imperfection but I guess it only makes it more unique?

Any idea if the vvps is the standard one that we can easily buy? If possible, I'm trying to exclude electronic devices or power supply to avoid customs giving me issues.

Do you know the difference between regular heater, ss cartridge heater and halogen heater? How do they differ? What did you get?

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Good to see you again @Vapinghole Can’t stop innovating.

Glad you are enjoying your square HI @jeffp I mostly hold the tube and HI horizontally when connecting / drawing vapor to minimize the chance of loosing particles.

Thanks for posting the video @P.A.M. Happy to hear you think my prices and logs are the best. Trying to make them as affordable as possible w/o sacrificing performance/efficiency.

@darkstar72 - Hope you get to try a HI some day soon.

@Vapefanatic - The shape is really the only difference between the regular and square HI, everything else is the same. The square HI can be fabricated w/o a lathe and takes less time to make than a round shape.

Was recently assembling some bamboo HI units and decided to try installing one of my 10mm glass tubes w/ 3 slits in the end for the heater cover. The hot air exits the glass heater cover in three places along the perimeter rather than straight down the center for even roasting.
It works as a convection style roaster when the end of the 10mm glass tube does not touch the flower and it works as a convection/conduction style roaster when the rounded end of the glass tube contacts the flower. The air flow is not too restricted in convection mode, but can require a milkshake draw in conduction mode since the end of the tube will pack down the material.
It has the best flavor of any style roaster I have made and I get at least twice as many hits as a ss heater cover HI using the same amount. May have to try a 3 slit 12mm glass tube for a heater cover.

3slit10mmglasshc.jpeg

GoldenBud

Waiting for my HI Square ! :rockon:
gonna use it with solo II wpa - i understand i can't let the ss cover to touch the herb but can i leave it on or need to take it off each time i leave the room etc ?
as long as the ss cover only slightly touches the edges of the screen domed ...

Trackrat

Waiting for my HI Square ! :rockon:
gonna use it with solo II wpa - i understand i can't let the ss cover to touch the herb but can i leave it on or need to take it off each time i leave the room etc ?
as long as the ss cover only slightly touches the edges of the screen domed ...
Did you order the turbo tube ? That makes it all good. I turn mine on around 5 and turn it off around 10. Set at 11, I just hit on mine and go about my business. It keeps the buzz going.

Vapefanatic

I'm happy to report my HI purchases and entry to the HI fam. Before that, I'd like to take a few minutes to describe my experience with Alan thus far.

I sent Alan an email to be added to the waiting list, and we took it from there. This must have been more than 2 months ago. I quickly realized that the long wait everyone was talking about was ONLY for the log shaped HI. In all honesty, I actually prefer square.

Alan is kind, patient, knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman. We must have exchanged more than a few dozen emails so far and every one of them was a joy to read and reply. I'm a technical/ engineering idiot and may require a bit more effort when it comes to this aspect, especially being a log Vape newbie. Alan never showed the least bit of frustration and was patient throughout. I remember telling myself that I'd be extremely annoyed if it was me lol!

You can easily feel the passion this man has, and it infects you. His knowledge and continued quest for knowledge humbles me. In his free time, the dude solves archaeological mysteries! Wtf! Lol!. I never knew a log vape maker could care so much about my vaping experience until I met Alan. I'm not exaggerating , as I'm a paying customer who has no need to do so. I'm also not anyone special to deserve this treatment. The man just clearly loves what he does and his customers are a lucky bunch.

As for why my order took till now to finalize, it's actually due to my own decision. My VAS got the better of me and I couldn't choose between the different heaters. So instead of choosing one, I went for three lol. However, Alan was waiting on some parts which took longer than expected. If you knew what he had to go through last year, it's perfectly understandable. He also wanted to test the 3 slit glass cover in 12mm and with ss cartridge heater. So I had to wait which was more than cool.

Please note that Alan could've just asked me to pick whatever he has in stock at any given time, and avoided having me annoy him with emails almost every other day:lol: Instead, he helped me test out different configurations that best suit my needs, while we waited for parts to arrive. He would explain, I'd not get it and he'd explain again. I literally feel smarter now LOL!

The dude also helped me out big time with some other stuff. I cannot thank him enough!

With that being said, I'm looking forward to being the proud owner of two Square HIs, one with ss cartridge heater and another with halogen. I'll also be expecting a Bamboo HI with the 3 slit glass cover over the ss cartridge heater. Can't wait!

I might have read about Alan updating his website soon lol. Stay tuned!

Ripstar

I'm happy to report my HI purchases and entry to the HI fam. Before that, I'd like to take a few minutes to describe my experience with Alan thus far.

I sent Alan an email to be added to the waiting list, and we took it from there. This must have been more than 2 months ago. I quickly realized that the long wait everyone was talking about was ONLY for the log shaped HI. In all honesty, I actually prefer square.

Alan is kind, patient, knowledgeable and an absolute gentleman. We must have exchanged more than a few dozen emails so far and every one of them was a joy to read and reply. I'm a technical/ engineering idiot and may require a bit more effort when it comes to this aspect, especially being a log Vape newbie. Alan never showed the least bit of frustration and was patient throughout. I remember telling myself that I'd be extremely annoyed if it was me lol!

You can easily feel the passion this man has, and it infects you. His knowledge and continued quest for knowledge humbles me. In his free time, the dude solves archaeological mysteries! Wtf! Lol!. I never knew a log vape maker could care so much about my vaping experience until I met Alan. I'm not exaggerating , as I'm a paying customer who has no need to do so. I'm also not anyone special to deserve this treatment. The man just clearly loves what he does and his customers are a lucky bunch.

As for why my order took till now to finalize, it's actually due to my own decision. My VAS got the better of me and I couldn't choose between the different heaters. So instead of choosing one, I went for three lol. However, Alan was waiting on some parts which took longer than expected. If you knew what he had to go through last year, it's perfectly understandable. He also wanted to test the 3 slit glass cover in 12mm and with ss cartridge heater. So I had to wait which was more than cool.

Please note that Alan could've just asked me to pick whatever he has in stock at any given time, and avoided having me annoy him with emails almost every other day:lol: Instead, he helped me test out different configurations that best suit my needs, while we waited for parts to arrive. He would explain, I'd not get it and he'd explain again. I literally feel smarter now LOL!

The dude also helped me out big time with some other stuff. I cannot thank him enough!

With that being said, I'm looking forward to being the proud owner of two Square HIs, one with ss cartridge heater and another with halogen. I'll also be expecting a Bamboo HI with the 3 slit glass cover over the ss cartridge heater. Can't wait!

I might have read about Alan updating his website soon lol. Stay tuned!
great to hear! I just sent Alan a email this week and he responded to get things started. Is there a big difference in performance between the square? I guess I didn't know that was a option!

Vapefanatic

great to hear! I just sent Alan a email this week and he responded to get things started. Is there a big difference in performance between the square? I guess I didn't know that was a option!
I'll do my best to answer but please be aware that I've yet to receive my order, and I'm a log vape newbie.

Based on what I understand from Alan, there are no performance difference between regular, square or bamboo HI. Its really just the shape and different wood. There are however, a few different heater types namely the regular heater, the ss cartridge heater and the glass heater. The glass heater has undergone some pretty cool upgrades lately, which Alan explained a little above. You can choose to have any heater on any HI.

You can also choose from 3/8' or 7/16' heater cover sizes for all the HIs. The 3/8' is smaller but is fully compatible with Underdog stems. I went for all 7/16' sized ones. Then, there is also the iHeat but I don't know too much about them except they also kick ass lol.

Some cool stuff Alan is working on but I better let him announce himself lol.

GoldenBud

Looking lovely!!
Great song too, Micah’s tunes have made an appearance in a few of my videos! :sherlock:
haha I used the shazam app to check who the artist was, great vibes :rockon: ! i know all his songs now lol
nice! which heater did you go with?
it's the SS 716'' cover... now trying in around 12V on a bubbler..been great for small amounts i'm impressed....

here's 11.9v around 0.04g load or even abit less got me roasted then uplifted .. :D (couldn't finished the whole load in 1 hit haha)

Last edited:

grogazola

New to log vaporizers and I rarely hear people talk about the HI, which makes me intrigued haha! I just grabbed a WS and I’m experiencing LAS (log...acquisition syndrome).

What separates the HI from the other vapes? I heard there was a glass cover to the heater? That sounds cool! I saw a few pages back there is a way to work vapcaps with the HI? That sounds sweet!

What’s everyone favourite stem like? Those wood stems look really nice!

grogazola,

GoldenBud

New to log vaporizers and I rarely hear people talk about the HI, which makes me intrigued haha! I just grabbed a WS and I’m experiencing LAS (log...acquisition syndrome).

What separates the HI from the other vapes? I heard there was a glass cover to the heater? That sounds cool! I saw a few pages back there is a way to work vapcaps with the HI? That sounds sweet!

the 7/16" ss cover is compatible with Solo II's WPA. I brought it because I have 4 WPAs. but i prefer the microdosing ss-stem filling overall.
I chose not to go with glass cover because it's breakable
using 11.0V the taste is amazing... 11.8V for heavy hits and 12.0V-12.3V for seriously psychadelic effects (on 12.0V you have to take slow draw for heavy draw) never combusted yet with this device, never been more than 12.5V

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Read the past few pages, there is a lot of variety in the offerings from Alan, and he works with you for amazing custom orders with phenomenal wood /work!

Everything from crazy exotic wood customs on the near two year waiting list, to bamboo and square units that are cheaper and more readily available... With standard steel core in small and large size, and hybrid glass core, that has recently been upgraded... He even makes a halogen unit among other innovative product designs! And this is not even getting into all the variety of glass and wood and steel and silicone and cork stem options he has!

I have a regular small hybrid glass core, and regular small standard steel core, along with his custom digital vvps and stems (and iHeat too) that are all super nice so I am on the list for something else in the future... Heat Islands et al are great to collect, I think you'll feel at home here!

Last edited:

Vapefanatic

Let me try to give my perspective. Although my order is still on the way, perhaps another 10 dayish or so, I do have months of email exchanges with Alan. At this point, there must have been more than a hundred emails between us both.

The reason you hear less about HI is due to a few reasons. Alan had a death in the family, an accident and a move to a new state/home. I personally don't know if I could come back from all that, in the midst of Covid no less. But the guy is already in his new shop, completing orders and working on new stuff. Like really high quality offerings/innovations at REAL affordable prices. I'm blown away. What I respect most is, Alan NEVER once used his misfortunes to score any brownie points. In fact, he didn't even tell me. I found out myself from reading the threads.

You'll also notice that Alan does not do social media. At least not so far. This greatly reduces exposure but I have not seen the HI or iHeat die out like many other Vapes, when the maker stops being active. Right up to Alan's accident, his threads have been very active. This says a lot about the product. You can always count on satisfied older buyers to chime in with their experience. The history of the HI/iHeat itself is awesome. Most modern log Vapes we see today probably wouldn't be as awesome, without inputs from the HI. He is also REALLY a one man shop.

Other makers are great too, but is always rather secretive about their builds. Upgrades are always rather abstract. I usually hear upgrades such as larger surface, better heating, fixes etc and it's 100% always accompanied with a sizable price increase. Upgrade 'something/s', give an awesome but abstract description, and offer the new model at $100++ more seems to be a regular trend everywhere lol. I received upgraded models from Alan without a single cent increase from old prices. He even helped me make my glass heater more durable without me asking! Never mind that the glass heater was already an upgraded version with 3 slits!

Glass, SS, Halogen or regular heaters are just different choices. They are as they would seem. Glass requires higher heat and is less durable as always, but better flavor. SS and Halogen both uses a ceramic bulb base and can be interchanged if you wish. Regular heater from my understanding is the original design. Difference between regular and SS cartridge is that the regular is soldered into the base and is without a ss cartridge sleeve.

Alan can bore a hole in the heater cover to make it fit Dynavap. I originally wanted one of my three HIs to receive DV. But I quickly decided against it, because I don't really like my DVs anyways. I prefer the larger 7/16 sized HIs that can give me a larger bowl. Not willing to sacrifice it for DV. My DV does not deserve the HI imo LOL.

I'll need to receive the stems first to know my favorite lol. I got two GonGs and a wooden stem. The HI will come with SS stems so you won't need to order them. Alan really has an abundance of stems. Email him!

Top Bottom