The HI

GoldenBud

Alan can bore a hole in the heater cover to make it fit Dynavap. I originally wanted one of my three HIs to receive DV. But I quickly decided against it, because I don't really like my DVs anyways. I prefer the larger 7/16 sized HIs that can give me a larger bowl. Not willing to sacrifice it for DV. My DV does not deserve the HI imo LOL.
Indeed, you will never use your DV at home once you have the HI man, be sure about that :tup:
although there are some DV stems which are cool, you can attach the silicone sleeve to your top of the ss stem and then connect a 19mm stem to it! some trick Alan taught me... good one... used it alot this way...with some 19mm dimple stem. it'll be a long stem haha ;) but it cools the vapor amazingly well..
now i mostly use it on a bubbler with vvps at 11.4v for soft flavourful clouds..

And the halogen type of HI sounds..... intersting.

Last edited:

Vapefanatic

Indeed, you will never use your DV at home once you have the HI man, be sure about that :tup:
although there are some DV stems which are cool, you can attach the silicone sleeve to your top of the ss stem and then connect a 19mm stem to it! some trick Alan taught me... good one... used it alot this way...with some 19mm dimple stem. it'll be a long stem haha ;) but it cools the vapor amazingly well..
now i mostly use it on a bubbler with vvps at 11.4v for soft flavourful clouds..

And the halogen type of HI sounds..... intersting.
Great tip indeed but my Dynavap is very seldom used. I don't have any fancy stems except for shellshock and tectonic coming my way. Tried with water. Liked it a few days then realized i gotta clean it lol.

The halogen is indeed interesting. You can buy one SS Cartridge heater HI and switch a Halogen heater on it or vice versa. I was told that it's easy and just a matter of removing screws. For me, I got one of each and spare heaters too, so I can play with them and not worry about breaking them lol.

An iHeat purchase is next, as I've just purchased two box mods.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
An iHeat purchase is next, as I've just purchased two box mods.

Not the right thread, but I highly recommend the dovpo mono square dna75c, or any DNA mod, for nice temp control with iHeat and FC profile... That mod is nice bc it is single battery and small. Of course using wattage is fine, but temp control is pretty nice!

Vapefanatic

Not the right thread, but I highly recommend the dovpo mono square dna75c, or any DNA mod, for nice temp control with iHeat and FC profile... That mod is nice bc it is single battery and small. Of course using wattage is fine, but temp control is pretty nice!
I read most of your recent posts on box mods. Its where I learned the most. As always, thank you buddy!

I got a wismec predator and ravage for rather cheap locally. Both for $60 delivered. Although the Ravage has not shipped. May be a problem. I may look for an alternative in the Snowwolf Vfeng that i can get for $20 delivered locally. Seems to be the same thing.

I know next to nothing about box mods although I've been an ecig user since 2008. I'm still using those single button 30W pole shaped type. But alas, the last one is starting to not hold charge so i said screw it, I'm getting a box mod! So i got an excuse to venture into 510 dry vapes LOL.

I understand anything with DNA chips are gonna be pricey and I can just get the above and run Arctic Fox or something similar. Theory wise, I'm good but never tried it or anything similar. I'm pretty sure I'll be more than contented with just wattage control, if I fail to setup the more advanced features. Not really much of a tinker lol.

I agree that it's not the right place but I'm sure Alan won't mind, as it's a discussion related to his product as well. But let's bring this to the iHeat thread bro!

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Lots of good things going on in the toasty shop. I have started using ss cartridge heaters to power the HI. They were just what I needed for the 12mm 3 slit glass heater cover.
3slit12mmglasshc.jpeg

A ss basket screen on the end of the heater keeps it centered in the glass tube. Works great with the 16mm/12mm on 14mm GonG tubes and even my wooden tubes w/ 12mm roasting bowls.

The ss wires coming out of the ss cartridge heaters don’t conduct as much heat as the regular heaters, so the wires connected to the power socket at the bottom remain at room temperature. The bottom of the glass tube also remains at room temperature since it is so far from the hot end and glass can’t conduct heat that far. There is no need to close the bottom of the glass heater cover HI’s w/ ss cartridge heaters.

I remove the insulated wire from the cartridge heaters so that they only have bare ss wires. I would never put wire insulation in the air flow path. I recommend to anyone using cartridge heaters to remove the insulation from the wire prior to installing it in the air flow path. The taste will be better and you won’t have to worry about what material (fiberglass or silicone) was used for the wire insulation. As long as the wires remain stiff and separated, there is no worry of them shorting out.

Since there is absolutely no heat at all going to the bottom of the glass heater cover HI’s w/ cartridge heaters, I tried a new way of putting them into wooden bodies that can be left open on the bottom. The air intake is from the bottom anyhow, so it is easiest to just leave it open. Allows you to see all the way through the unit and heater cover. Nothing is hidden from view.
sumacsquare10mmglasshi.jpeg

The wood is sumac which is a lightweight / soft and would not have lasted long using the old way of installing metal heater cores. The glass heater cover is held into the wood using a cork ring. There is no heat at the cork since the glass doesn’t conduct it that far, nor do the wires. The shape feels good and secure to hold. May make a batch of these in cherry or walnut wood. I still have some more sumac wood too. Redwood or pine would also work well for this design.

Have been thinking about making a j-hook/wooden pipe for 14mm tapered tubes for a while and decided to try making one. Works great. Here is how it turned out.
lilac14mmpipe.jpeg

The wood is a lilac tree branch. The mouthpiece tube is osage orange and removable for cleaning. Here is another made from a block of osage orange wood w/ a purple heart mouthpiece tube.
14mmgong14mmpipe.jpeg

Not too difficult to make. Lots of wood combinations are possible.

Was recently gifted a butane torch lighter and got to thinking about ways to make an inexpensive butane herbal roaster. Thought about ways to use parts that I already make. Here is what I devised. I'm calling it the "Toasty Tube".
corktoastytube.jpeg

The 14mm GonG tube is removable for reloading. The screen position in adjustable inside of the GonG tube. The distance from the heat source can also be adjusted by how far the GonG tube is inserted into the cork. The plain end glass tube inserts half way into the other end of the cork. There is a 3 inch long 10mm glass tube w/ 3 slits in the closed end of the tube that is held into the center of the cork using a silicone sleeve. The 10mm glass tube is free to slide into the plain end and GonG tubes. The plain end of the 10mm glass tube extends into the GonG tube when inserted into the cork.
It works best as a session type roaster. 5 seconds of flame down the plain end tube heats up the 10mm glass tube. It only takes 4 to 5 seconds flame draws after that. It is best to move the flame in tiny circles inside the glass tube so the flame doesn’t melt the end of the 10mm glass tube. I’m not normally a butane kind of guy, but this thing is quite amazing. It hits so fast and so hard. Incredible how much vapor you can inhale in 5 seconds. I’m thinking of selling them for $29 if there is any interest. The silicone sleeve on the GonG tube can be slid toward the end until it allows just the GonG tube on the iHeat or any other 18mm connection roaster. The GonG tube can also be used on any 3/8” ss heater cover like the HI or UD.

Have decided against making any more of the halogen bulb HI's unless someone really wants one. I recently took the ceramic socket off from the conductors in my halogen HI and discovered that the contact where the bulb pins go is getting oxidized with non-conductive layer. It was still making contact, but I'm worried that it may not make good contact some day. The contacts inside the ceramic sockets just aren't meant to be subjected to those high temperatures all the time. The performance is quite good with the cartridge heaters and they don't need to be replaced when they burn out.

Still working on the website update. Hard to believe how many different options there will be. Still keep adding more each day.

Thanks for posting the photo and video @GoldenBud.

@Vapefanatic, thanks for fielding questions about the HI. Sorry the postal service is so slow these days. Hope your items reach you soon.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Do you find the glass slit outlets help spin the convection air versus a "top-down" version?
The slits in the glass do impart spin into the air movement. The speed of the draw will determine how much spin. I find a faster draw will drop the pressure in the roasting chamber which will lower the boiling point of the oil and produce more vapor.
Using the flame on the Toasty Tube requires you to draw a little faster to keep up with the flame which creates a lower pressure. I think that is why butane flame powered units seem to hit a little harder.

Whisper

Hi Alan, I've been reading and catching up. I am sorry to hear about your loss. This past year has been a real doozy to us all. I hope you are feeling some peace.
It has been about a year since we've corresponded, and I'd like to re-establish a log from you. Originally, I signed for a TT, but, the logs were hot then, and they had me interested, and I got on that list. I am looking to get another log, a back-up, and would love one of yours. I still have your email and will contact you directly. I'm happy to see you!!

GoldenBud

Last edited:

Ripstar

the HI surprises me every day, yesterday i found out that the lamart's spiked glass are compatible with the HI's ss stem :
https://shop.lamart.ch/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_77&product_id=317 or https://shop.lamart.ch/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_77&product_id=307

and just found out that the ss metal stem is compatible with 10mm female adapter, heavy hitting at 12.4V

Wow, that great the lamart spikey works with it! Options are always good

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
Hi guys. I'm interested in buying a new vape and after a few hours of searching ended up here.

My current vape is the OmniVap XL. When I first got it I was really blown away coming from the MFLB but as my tolerance grew I've gone back to joints for that kick. As with most vapes, the OmniVap has a specific window of hits that are really nice and strong. But it gets hard to do everything right after you get stoned. I can't count the times I was unsure if the cap had clicked or not. Marvelous device, don't get me wrong. I love the mechanical simplicity of it. 100 years from now dudes could still be getting stoned with one of those. But for at home use I find it a little lacking even with the Jarhead. I could be doing something wrong of course, never owned any glass to combine it with.

So I'm looking for something that can help me quit smoking again. My use is recreational by myself. I want something similar to a long joint; strong hits but stretched over 10-20 minutes. I'm not a light user but I'm not super high either, at most I'll smoke 2g a day (in joints, vaping would be lower). How close to that do you think the HI hits? And what kind of draw method/accessory would you recommend?

GoldenBud

So I'm looking for something that can help me quit smoking again. My use is recreational by myself. I want something similar to a long joint; strong hits but stretched over 10-20 minutes. I'm not a light user but I'm not super high either, at most I'll smoke 2g a day (in joints, vaping would be lower). How close to that do you think the HI hits? And what kind of draw method/accessory would you recommend?
the HI hits strong at 12V. even very strong. and I get satisfying hits from 0.03g of herb for atleast 20 minutes

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
the HI hits strong at 12V. even very strong. and I get satisfying hits from 0.03g of herb for atleast 20 minutes
Damn, nice!

Could you also please explain what can be customized about the HI in general? I contacted Alan (24 month wait right now) and he said some non-custom units are available. But I just can't find more specific info and he seems to be pretty busy.

GoldenBud

Damn, nice!

Could you also please explain what can be customized about the HI in general? I contacted Alan (24 month wait right now) and he said some non-custom units are available. But I just can't find more specific info and he seems to be pretty busy.
the heater is almost the same in all models...what is different is the heater's cover:
the cover can be compatible with Solo II's Stems/WPA , or compatible with VapCap tips I think. i got the one which is compatible with Solo II wpas
with a VVPS you can dial it in different voltages... for 1 hitter 12V is perfect, the taste is good as long as your stem is clean and the screen, the taste is really good at 11.5V or 11.3V ... i use it on 12V for quick extraction for 0.03g-0.05g (i stir one time)

I took non custom unit, and it's beautiful too...

vaporoufixtras

sigma vape enjoyer
the heater is almost the same in all models...what is different is the heater's cover:
the cover can be compatible with Solo II's Stems/WPA , or compatible with VapCap tips I think. i got the one which is compatible with Solo II wpas
with a VVPS you can dial it in different voltages... for 1 hitter 12V is perfect, the taste is good as long as your stem is clean and the screen, the taste is really good at 11.5V or 11.3V ... i use it on 12V for quick extraction for 0.03g-0.05g (i stir one time)

I took non custom unit, and it's beautiful too...
That was really helpful, thanks man!

GoldenBud

Sorry if this a silly question, but where does the screen sit?
Also where did you get the Jhook from, DHgate?
this is the WPA, the screen is rounded and placed inside:

screens:

JHook:

with 12.0V setting it'll be too hot for you, take fast draws... better using VVPS at 11.0V-11.5V.. enjoy ;)
for me the HI is a pleasure with a bubbler with water. 12.0V... my VVPS isn't stable (also from aliexpress, lol)
fast draw on bubbler for me! :rockon: :brow:

GoldenBud

found a way to enjoy the flavour of the herb with 12.0v ... just tamping the 0.05g~ load inside... so the upper herb won't be too close to the heater's screen...max efficiency and stirring is no needed.. after these clouds the session is pretty much over:

Top Bottom