Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr Mellish

Green at the top of the load only happens if you have too much material in the chamber. Restricted heat flow reduces convection temperature as the vapor exits the device, leaving the very top exposed to lower max temp. As most of us have figured out, this thing works a lot better with a fluffy/loose load. With unrestricted hot air flow, the material at the top of the chamber encounters the same temperature as the material closest to the heating element and you end up with @Mr Mellish type uniform results even on 1.5 (with newest heaters).

Uniform gold on 1.5 instead of dark brown with it set to "kill" at 3+

I hadn't given it much thought but suspect this is true. My material is relatively fluffy and I have never tamped it down at all; drop it in and seal it up without any pressure on the material. Bingo.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Also back to you guys talking about funnels and such. I recently purchased a tectonic 9 auto dispensing grinder and I think is awesome for filling the hopper (and honestly any other vape, paper, wrap, bowl etc etc etc). It pretty cool and I’m really digging it (other than the price I feel is a little steep). I’ll post a link and you guys can check it out.

https://www.cloudious9.com/tectonic9

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Also back to you guys talking about funnels and such. I recently purchased a tectonic 9 auto dispensing grinder and I think is awesome for filling the hopper (and honestly any other vape, paper, wrap, bowl etc etc etc). It pretty cool and I’m really digging it (other than the price I feel is a little steep). I’ll post a link and you guys can check it out.

Thanks for the link to the grinder. That’s very cool - and pricier - than a similar one with a pull out spout. I’ll keep my eye on that though I always load my Hopper by hand, literally between my fingers.

It’s nice to have positive vibes back in this thread. The current heater indeed works extremely well. My preorder Ti is humming like it never has before even pre RMA. It’s like having a new and all-you-really-need vape. While I needn’t be discreet with mine, it’s so small and quick and it hits pretty hard. What more could I ask? I’m using it daily and it’s my number one again for its simplicity and ease of use. I enjoy using one vape at a time and the Hopper simply does the trick. My AVB is definitely not green as it often was pre RMA. I get a fairly consistent golden honey brown color running it at 2.6-3.1. Hotter than that is too harsh and hot for me. A couple of draws and I’m good - and life is good again with the Hopper! :peace:

Baron23

Green at the top of the load only happens if you have too much material in the chamber.

I do not have too much material in the chamber and described how I load which as fluffy and untamped as you can get.

Nonetheless, When I first open the GH, I do see lighter AVB (greenish maybe?) on top and as emptied I can see the darker AVB below.

As I said, to me this is not an issue as its the most tiny bit, its a waste to stir and hit, and I can't find it if I pour the AVB in total on to a piece of paper.

I believe that in the case of the GH, EVO ELB, and Ghost MV1 crucible, the slight green left is from its contact with the metal top screen....but who knows. As I have state, its inconsequential.

Cheer

david8613

I do not have too much material in the chamber and described how I load which as fluffy and untamped as you can get.

Nonetheless, When I first open the GH, I do see lighter AVB (greenish maybe?) on top and as emptied I can see the darker AVB below.

As I said, to me this is not an issue as its the most tiny bit, its a waste to stir and hit, and I can't find it if I pour the AVB in total on to a piece of paper.

I believe that in the case of the GH, EVO ELB, and Ghost MV1 crucible, the slight green left is from its contact with the metal top screen....but who knows. As I have state, its inconsequential.

Cheer

Your about that, I remember my first ghost mv1 would leave alot of green around the edge, it bothered me but I was still getting lots of effects. Ghost was cool and replaced it and my newer ghost does not does this anymore. I don't any green in my hopper but if I did I think I wouldn't freak out as much.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I’m with @Baron23 on this. I often see the top greenish layer when a chamber is spent. It must be a very thin layer as noted because there is nothing of value left in the material and it can be impossible to find this green layer once the chamber is emptied.

I have even tried putting that spent material in other vapes such as the Evo and wasn’t able to get any vapor out of it so it is completely extracted despite the presence of green. I believe it might have something to do with the material contacting the metal screen. Even if you load it loose which I do, when you take a draw your material gets sucked up against the screen. I use a fast draw speed, perhaps the variation of experience here is a result of different draw speeds. With a slower draw speed the metal screen may heat up more, causing the top green layer to turn brown.

I have also measured the capacity of the chamber and with a medium to fine grind I can squeeze .2 grams in the Grasshopper’s chamber. It is possible but it is not pleasant at all to use the device this way. The airflow suffers and it seems to get much hotter in the front end as well. I usually use in the range of .08 to .1 grams of cannabis to fill the chamber and I never tamp or pack it at all. If at home I usually just take a couple pinches from my grinder and drop them in there. On the go I like to use doob tubes and I fill directly from those.

Last edited:

Raf

Cheer

That's interesting. I have only gotten the 'thin green edge which cannot be located in the dumped abv' if I accidentally funnel too much material and then instead of knocking off the rounded extra I tamp it down slightly with fingers to make it fit.

In my experience it's more likely to happen with PFE, which is I think because the overall airflow is designed to function dragless. if extra material is in contact with the top of the metal then the metal will act like a heat sink and ensure that that material in contact with the metal stays at a lower temperature compared to what is being convected.

this is why it's an ultra thin layer

kilo

I never thought to measure how much I'm loading into the chamber so I was glad this thread inspired me to do a little research. Grinding with the medium plate on the BC and gently spilling the weed into the chamber using the NewVape Pax scoop I pretty consistently load .13 - .14. Sure, a bit of tamping and I could get a lot more in there but I don't usually stir and like it pretty loose. I've never noticed any greenish AVB but now I'll be looking for it. What I found really interesting is this: I loaded .14 g and when I emptied it out the was only .08 g of AVB.

MoltenTiger

I never thought to measure how much I'm loading into the chamber so I was glad this thread inspired me to do a little research. Grinding with the medium plate on the BC and gently spilling the weed into the chamber using the NewVape Pax scoop I pretty consistently load .13 - .14. Sure, a bit of tamping and I could get a lot more in there but I don't usually stir and like it pretty loose. I've never noticed any greenish AVB but now I'll be looking for it. What I found really interesting is this: I loaded .14 g and when I emptied it out the was only .08 g of AVB.
Weight is mostly determined by moisture in this case, vaping it dries it out entirely. I think a 40% weight reduction is about the average from cured flower to ABV. Different strains are different too. Different grinds allow for different amounts, too much variability all round. But I definitely think you’d have to make some effort to load as much as 0.3g into a hopper, maybe MFLB finishing grind of the heaviest dank would get to a third of a gram in that small chamber. It’s probably 50% bigger volume than a Dynavap M, which is a small bowl. The hopper is fairly similar to load up, and I’m also finding the new heaters go crazy even with a tiny amount, say a quarter chamber - whatever that weighs.

Absolutely loving the GH. I was using the ordinary front end last night, gets toasty but it’s fantastic.

Light usage is going to be my new target. For a long time I’ve been bellowing out clouds and I guess over indulging, but without issue so it’s really just an inefficiency and a different way to consider the perspective shift, but using the hopper less intensely offers an easier way to find balance with ECS stimulation.

Packing, cramming, huge chambers will cause monster clouds, more in -> more out

as with adding kief or concentrates.

however the loss to exhalation is equally scaled up. Absorption has limits, and having the ease of option of different intake rates and spectrum allows this medicine to be so wonderfully versatile and this vaporiser delivers it perfectly.

this is my favourite state of the art development of this century. What else could compete... everything else good is old hat. This innovation is revolutionary, it’s the iPod whilst everything else is an equally functioning* mess.

*well, they try and keep up with potent vapour production. They do the same thing but differently, wrongly.

Last edited:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Every single grasshopper I've ever used works differently. The reason some are seeing green and some aren't is because of the heater variation I would assume. I've had some that leave the top layer of green on 5 and some that dont leave even a smidgen on lower settings.

Last edited:

Raf

Every single grasshopper I've ever used works differently. The reason some are seeing green and some aren't is because of the heater variation I would assume.

This is true to some extent especially comparing different batches which were shipped at different times in the same year or on different years. so I almost started out by asking @Baron23 if he was using one of the older models.

ultimately the difference between the old and new heaters, if they function correctly, is that the new get hotter at a lower setting so 1.5 on the new device is like 2-3 on the old. 1.5 or even 1 can vaporize on a new device, while these settings were essentially useless on the older models. (New ones also reach the set temp faster)

once you are tuned into what gives you the extraction that you want from your lavender or whatever you're using, then at that temperature setting, on whatever device youre using, you can get that green Edge if you over pack a PFE, even just slightly. If the pack is firm enough to hold material against the top screen, while not allowing air to flow between the material and the grid of metal that isn't air holes, that screen temporarily lowers convection for that top layer as I described above.

This is especially true if that material is held in place by the firm pack when the device refluxes air. Ordinarily when you stop drawing through glass a little bit of air is going to reflux and reverse airflow through the top of the pen. This is why i think you will never see that green Edge after repeated hits with a loose pack. unless, maybe if what you use is wet/sticky enough to adhere to the top of a loose pack after screwing on the pfe then.... ?

Raf,

Raf

I've had vastly different experiences with devices fixed or bought days apart. In the past few months and years ago. I know you believe they've got it all figured out but I really dont think they do still.

The most I've ever had in one batch was 3 units that all failed. At other times purchasing two units or one unit and one spare body has resulted in identical outcomes. ( they worked, and they worked the same)

This sample size is too small though so it doesn't really prove anything
We would need to buy them in batches of at least 10 LOL

imagine how much fun that would be applying the scientific method to these tests

On_Weed

1. The new heaters are better in every way. There have been many improvements over the last year thanks to in-house production.

2. If the time of the hit and volume of air that you move through the device are both constants there will be less power consumption on lower settings. It is a complex thermal dynamics problem to tell you accurately how much. There are a lot of variables that affect power consumption. To simplify, if both hits were taken from the device having sat at room temperature for at least an hour you would probably see close to but not quite doubling battery life you are suggesting.

Brief Update:

All major critical equipment has been cleaned and moved to the temporary space next door. We will likely be in this space for around 4 months as the old space is remodeled and the new fire suppression system is added. We are starting machines up one by one addressing any problems and then working on the next. Most of the damage is to air-lines, which are relatively easy to replace. The focus will first be to get the heater production line up and running. The new space requires a new subpanel for additional power we hope to have that by next week. The electricians have completed the assessment and will start work shortly.

We will be making a trip to visit the original battery factory and the new battery factory in the middle of next week. After this, we should have a timeline and more updates on when the new batteries will be coming out.

Thanks for the update @Hopper Labs, glad to hear the machine repairs are theoretically mostly air-line replacements.

I have another question for you.

3. Have the backend hopper parts received any refinement in design in the last year? For example: I have a SS backend in the 7k series and the new RMAed one is Ti in the 12k series, should these parts perform the same?. I am using them on an RMAed Ti body with a PFE.

- Note: I have noticed that the RMAed body stays a lot cooler and helps dissipate the heat to the front and backend of the device. :)

On_Weed

Just ordered one of these grinders, should get here on Thursday. Excited to simplify my hopper loading process. I'm currently using a funnel from the "Pack N Stash" which fits the hopper perfectly (but no longer being made) and a manual grinder.

Another handy 3rd party hopper accessory is the Orbit by VapeXhale, have you guys seen it? It's heat resistant rubber puck meant to hold hot glass nails / herb baskets, but I use mine as an "ink well" for my hopper, just adds to the pen vibe. I can try to post a pic of it in action if people want.

https://luxvapes.com/products/evo-orbit?variant=7270785155129

@Hopper Labs I know you have your hand more than full, but at some point in the future you should look at improving / customizing the design specifically for the hopper (like angle and hole diameter.) I think it would be one of the lesser time consuming accessories you could finish, but I'm no engineer.

Last edited:

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Just ordered one of these grinders, should get here on Thursday. Excited to simplify my hopper loading process. I'm currently using a funnel from the "Pack N Stash" which fits the hopper perfectly (but no longer being made) and a manual grinder.

I find it very handy. It’s a great medium/fine grinder to boot! I hold the spout tight to the chamber of my hopper and let the vibrating motor shake the herb down in until it’s level across the top. No tamping or packing. Pop the pfe or mouthpiece on and it’s perfect.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Found a very nice custom mp without threading, it's a mp I got when I bought my first MistVape vaporizer: the MistVape OG, I like a lot the added airflow, the ease of use and it fits a water tool very well:

P1070633.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hammahead

With all of you raving here, it makes me really want to try the GH with the improved heater, even on my lower end budget
It's been said but needs to be said on a regular base: don't buy the Hopper as your daily driver if you have no halfway decent replacement in case it fails, if only for the batteries. A less than halfway decent replacement might even add to the annoyance, cause there's a lot to miss.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It's been said but needs to be said on a regular base: don't buy the Hopper as your daily driver if you have no halfway decent replacement in case it fails, if only for the batteries. A less than halfway decent replacement might even add to the annoyance, cause there's a lot to miss.
It's pretty much a 'boutique vape', in practice. Not for the budget-conscious.

This set me to thinking about reliability issues. We'd like to think them a thing of the past, but of course we need a track record and that requires time on the track, so to speak. If the future is the new-new Grasshopper (name is to be revealed in December, remember? How about the Mantis?) then why not start the reliability timeline? If all that's required is assembly, why not go ahead and put a couple of dozen together and send to some early adopters for reviews and testimonials (testing)?

If OG Grasshopper becomes truly viable, then I trust the warranty to take me on that ride (eventually). But I would be just as pleased to 'trade up' when the time comes, if the new ones work well!

I do hope the trip to China has gone smoothly, we'd love to hear about it, @Hopper Labs! Onward and upward!

Mr. Me2

It's pretty much a 'boutique vape', in practice. Not for the budget-conscious.

This set me to thinking about reliability issues. We'd like to think them a thing of the past, but of course we need a track record and that requires time on the track, so to speak. If the future is the new-new Grasshopper (name is to be revealed in December, remember? How about the Mantis?) then why not start the reliability timeline? If all that's required is assembly, why not go ahead and put a couple of dozen together and send to some early adopters for reviews and testimonials (testing)?

If OG Grasshopper becomes truly viable, then I trust the warranty to take me on that ride (eventually). But I would be just as pleased to 'trade up' when the time comes, if the new ones work well!

I do hope the trip to China has gone smoothly, we'd love to hear about it, @Hopper Labs! Onward and upward!
My guess is release is battery dependent. They did say the new one uses the same battery, right?

Raf

Yes this is true! Everyone should purchase and learn to use a VripTech heat wand, or one of the expensive Steinel brand heat guns that cost like four hundred bucks but have metal heating elements fully encased in high grade ceramic. Designed for use building Electronics, this type of heat gun will have the designation 'ESD safe', and is considered highly unlikely to release chromium ions into the vaporpath compared to your average heat gun. For use with the wand, the new glass bowls they sell work ok, but i like the old style better , minus the upper assembly.

Both of these will give you a good alternate, slightly better results than a grasshopper once you get all the learning curve solved (for the wand) . If you get the heat gun you pretty much need to use the actual VT upper mating assembly, but the heat gun offers the advantage of having zero learning curve. You will need to learn to use the wand correctly. But you can just dial in the temperature on the gun, set the fan to low and it's pretty much idiot-proof. Or set the fan to high and it does all the inhaling work for you. Fun trick for parties but both VT and I recommend using the fan on the low setting LMAO

If you do get the wand and want to make your own optimized vaporization bowl i suggest taking the glass heat wand cover with you to a shop and then you can just see which bowls it fits and buy them for dirt cheap, since funnel bowls are not exactly high price. You can then use a rotary Diamond bit Dremel tool, diameter matching the screen size to be used, + some water as lubricant to grind in a little shelf to hold the screen :science:. Be sure to avoid inhaling Dremeled glass particles while you work. After dremeling you can hit everything with a propane torch for a minute or two to smooth out the edges... or just buy the stuff VT sells. I don't like the narrow diameter of the new one they designed, and the glass screens are kind of dumb for me because I like to grind my lavender a little finer than that

Before the grasshopper I used to joke around with my friend about how big of a Ghostbusters-style backpack we would be willing to wear for a hike in the woods if it would power pack a vt heat wand and make it portable

Grasshopper pretty much solved that issue and I don't even have to wear a giant backpack

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
My guess is release is battery dependent. They did say the new one uses the same battery, right?
Yes, I’m fairly certain HL said above the upcoming version (whatever it’s currently termed or the official name will be) will take the same battery. They also stated that on their jaunt to China they’d be seeing the current battery production facility and a new additional one. I’m very curious why an additional factory is needed and quality control across them both. Batteries, for me, have a past and with the recent issue with them at HL itself, it’s a bit more of a concern. However it does appear they have the latest heater working well, as in case with my repaired Ti which keeps humming along VERY well and offers great performance all over again. I just hope new batts won’t take as long to get as las time - and they’re consistent and safe.

Just thought I’d throw that out after already using my Hopper this morning :). Damn it works well!! :peace:

Top Bottom