• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
Wow this is still going on, gave up on my GH long ago, honestly feel bad for you guys, I just considered it a 80 dollar lose at a point...

(got the first founders type discount, think it was around 80 bucks, memory is foggy, almost forgot this vape existed...)

I do hope someone makes a similar less issue prone type vape sometime in the future, but wont be buying it right away like I did with this.

Good luck to you all though, cant believe still so many issues still.

MoltenTiger

Wow this is still going on, gave up on my GH long ago, honestly feel bad for you guys, I just considered it a 80 dollar lose at a point...

(got the first founders type discount, think it was around 80 bucks, memory is foggy, almost forgot this vape existed...)

I do hope someone makes a similar less issue prone type vape sometime in the future, but wont be buying it right away like I did with this.

Good luck to you all though, cant believe still so many issues still.
It has been somewhat unfortunate, but not remotely unforeseeable.
The timeline is something like this:

-pitched 2013,
-pre-orders opened 2014,
-2015-2016 backer units started arriving in the field with 30% initial failure rate,
-2016-2017 pre-orders delivered as known-bad devices but with slowly decreasing failure rates and the odd period of robust devices,
-2017-2018 was the pinch point, design changes not accepted by manufacturer - Hopper Labs acquires tech to print heaters,
-2018 HL have limited production as they test their yields and processes, then they move locations in December,
-2019 HL claim they have got production sorted out (which you'd expect has a 1% failure rate, the industry standard [at first they were 30 times worse!]).

Where do things go from here?

Well, at some distant point everyone will have been reissued their devices and eventually there will be a stock-pile of componentry for rapid RMA turn-around.
Then the world will more readily accept cannabis. Then the GH will be even more widely sought after and actually arrive with a good chance of being robust. The unique nature and the expanding industry has been enough to keep them afloat, things will continue to be interesting. No one else has taken on the challenges rounded up by the above timeline or focused properly on the dynamics involved to achieve what the hopper can do.
With the patented heating algorithms and the heater design, the insulated chamber, the size and the energy efficiency, it's easily one of the most awesome gadgets of this generation. And it's all protected under IP law, so it's not exactly a simple process for anyone else to arrive at a decent competitive product. Limitations exist for everyone.

I've been waiting and looking for something that can actually compete with the hopper out of interest, but I've yet to see something that fits the bill. And, 133 days since my extended RMA and 378 days since receiving my latest unit, I'm still clicking and twisting back-ends as nothing else exists to use in its place, and the other vapes I do have are mostly rendered useless by a hopper. I have no regrets, but I've been a little lucky and paid to play a game worth playing.

Compared to the $80 backer units, the new units are many iterations different and on average much, much better. They might still have tweaks to make, but they actually have the ability to implement it.

I feel worse for those who bought the Loto Labs unit from Indiegogo, that was pitched in the same time frame and didn't even come to fruition in a herb vape form.

I feel worse for those who bought the Haze Square, I don't know the details so well, but that was most unfortunate.

I feel worst for those who have reliable vapes but no Grasshopper. Not to say the GH is right for everyone, but it's very good for cannabis and super nice.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

-pitched 2013,
-pre-orders opened 2014,
-2015-2016 backer units started arriving in the field with 30% initial failure rate,
-2016-2017 pre-orders delivered as known-bad devices but with slowly decreasing failure rates and the odd period of robust devices,
-2017-2018 was the pinch point, design changes not accepted by manufacturer - Hopper Labs acquires tech to print heaters,
-2018 HL have limited production as they test their yields and processes, then they move locations in December,
-2019 HL claim they have got production sorted out (which you'd expect has a 1% failure rate, the industry standard [at first they were 30 times worse!]).

Well, at some distant point everyone will have been reissued their devices and eventually there will be a stock-pile of componentry for rapid RMA turn-around.
Then the world will more readily accept cannabis. Then the GH will be even more widely sought after and actually arrive with a good chance of being robust. The unique nature and the expanding industry has been enough to keep them afloat, things will continue to be interesting. No one else has taken on the challenges rounded up by the above timeline or focused properly on the dynamics involved to achieve what the hopper can do.
With the patented heating algorithms and the heater design, the insulated chamber, the size and the energy efficiency, it's easily one of the most awesome gadgets of this generation. And it's all protected under IP law, so it's not exactly a simple process for anyone else to arrive at a decent competitive product. Limitations exist for everyone.

I've been waiting and looking for something that can actually compete with the hopper out of interest, but I've yet to see something that fits the bill. And, 133 days since my extended RMA and 378 days since receiving my latest unit, I'm still clicking and twisting back-ends as nothing else exists to use in its place, and the other vapes I do have are mostly rendered useless by a hopper. I have no regrets, but I've been a little lucky and paid to play a game worth playing.

Compared to the $80 backer units, the new units are many iterations different and on average much, much better. They might still have tweaks to make, but they actually have the ability to implement it.

I feel worse for those who bought the Loto Labs unit from Indiegogo, that was pitched in the same time frame and didn't even come to fruition in a herb vape form.

I feel worse for those who bought the Haze Square, I don't know the details so well, but that was most unfortunate.

I feel worst for those who have reliable vapes but no Grasshopper. Not to say the GH is right for everyone, but it's very good for cannabis and super nice.
Thanks for the summary, it only hurt little!
I do take some issue with assertions that a reasonable reliability rate has been achieved. I have purchased a total of 5 hoppers; 4 on pre-order and 1 in July 2018. The most recently purchased has had its back end replaced 3 times and now the body has died.
A Ti that was fully serviced in Feb. 2017 lasted 6 months.
I haven't run a full study of my experiences, but there are 17 individual rma claims in my grasshopper account.
Of the bunch, only one is currently working. Now at a bit over 4 months.
Did I mention that I really like these things?

MoltenTiger

Thanks for the summary, it only hurt little!
I do take some issue with assertions that a reasonable reliability rate has been achieved. I have purchased a total of 5 hoppers; 4 on pre-order and 1 in July 2018. The most recently purchased has had its back end replaced 3 times and now the body has died.
A Ti that was fully serviced in Feb. 2017 lasted 6 months.
I haven't run a full study of my experiences, but there are 17 individual rma claims in my grasshopper account.
Of the bunch, only one is currently working. Now at a bit over 4 months.
Did I mention that I really like these things?
yeah, I don't know where the current failure rate actually lies, but with even 1 out of a hundred units likely as cooked, there's going to be bad experiences still.
It's definitely a timely process this whole ordeal. I hope your one unit keeps going, at least until one other is sorted..

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth

-pitched 2013,
-pre-orders opened 2014,

Yea I do see where you're coming from, whole experience for me just made me not go into things like this head first, basically it was a 80 dollar learning experience for me, I do hope it works out for you guys that are still invested in it mentally wise. I do get why, it is a really interesting product, thats why it caught my eyes in the first place.

All I can say is best of luck to you all.

Poostuff

Please delete
It’s been 12 months & I’m a forgiving person so I decided to try Hopper Labs again.

I ordered SS kit with the bubbler & water adaptor at the sale.

Surprisingly the Grasshopper shipped straight away & arrived super quickly but without the water adapter.

Bubbler is great but of course there’s a problem.

The Grasshopper just doesn’t get hot. The ABV is light brown & the front end is cool enough to use without water, which it turns out doesn’t matter because I can’t get the bubbler to cloud up anyway.

I was kinda expecting it so I’m disappointed but not surprised.

I haven’t contacted them yet because I was hoping it might get better & I really can’t be bothered starting another RMA on a brand new GH right now, so I guess I’m posting this just to say fuck!

Rel2018

It’s been 12 months & I’m a forgiving person so I decided to try Hopper Labs again.

I ordered SS kit with the bubbler & water adaptor at the sale.

Surprisingly the Grasshopper shipped straight away & arrived super quickly but without the water adapter.

Bubbler is great but of course there’s a problem.

The Grasshopper just doesn’t get hot. The ABV is light brown & the front end is cool enough to use without water, which it turns out doesn’t matter because I can’t get the bubbler to cloud up anyway.

I was kinda expecting it so I’m disappointed but not surprised.

I haven’t contacted them yet because I was hoping it might get better & I really can’t be bothered starting another RMA on a brand new GH right now, so I guess I’m posting this just to say fuck!

This sucks. Send them a short email ask them to send you a new one before you send yours, see what they say. It may save you frustration if they agree, and I hope they do.
Good luck!

Poostuff

Please delete
I've heard people say that its a quick turn around if all they do is a recalibration. If you need parts they don't have available, then that's the hold up.

The difficulty lies in contacting them and getting the job in motion. They're just neck deep in bad times :(
No one is more positive about this company than you. They’re lucky to have you here

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I've heard people say that its a quick turn around if all they do is a recalibration. If you need parts they don't have available, then that's the hold up.

There's something not right about this. @Poostuff just got a brand new unit that doesn't work. The idea that he needs calibration or a new part shouldn't have to enter the conversation. Neither of these have resulted from him having actually used it. I think it's HL's obligation in the first place to send one that works.

They're just neck deep in bad times :(
In the middle of the biggest canna-boom in the history of the world! The irony!

kilo

Gee, I'd love to know when that May shipment of batteries is going to arrive...maybe they meant May 2020? No, I don't mean to start another pile-on but I'd hoped that communication on something like this would be more upfront. I'm concerned about the trade tension with China. They've threatened to restrict sales of rare earth minerals on their end and the increased tariffs could be raising the price of components on our end.

I really feel that these vapes, when they live up to their potential, are among the best available. I feel incredibly fortunate to have three working models in spite of the obvious lack of quality control in their manufacturing process.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
At least they changed the projection for the batteries from May/June to June. I wish they had also amended the description below, as this is just not friendly.
"Spare batteries are on order from the manufacturer and it will be 2-4 months before they arrive. Please do not order unless you fully expect to wait that long."

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
At least they changed the projection for the batteries from May/June to June. I wish they had also amended the description below, as this is just not friendly.
"Spare batteries are on order from the manufacturer and it will be 2-4 months before they arrive. Please do not order unless you fully expect to wait that long."
True and good however it's not the first time HL has missed a delivery date. In fact, they've missed most up until this point - RMAs included, including mine! I ordered batteries (and a silicone tip too which I instructed them to send together). I'd bet I won't see them until late summer...:peace:

dodgy_b

Hey.

For those who have purchased, a pre owned, registered unit, can you detail the process of the $45 transfer? Besides the wait times between emails!

Open RMA, they see the serial number is already registered, and they bill you the $45 to transfer it?

dodgy_b,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I opened a warranty request about 2 weeks ago, got response 2 days later asking that I clean it ("the temp sensor") with compressed air and report back to them before they recommend I send it in for service.
2 days later, I wrote back that there was no improvement.
That was 9 days ago and I have not heard boo. Yesterday I queried, "Hello?"
So, I'm 3 weeks without the piece now (since failure) and not even the prospect of repair. Doesn't bode well.

I'm recalling that about 2 or 3 years ago I was speculating that dirty insides might be the Achilles Heel of the hopper.

brewbeer

Just ordered my third hopper.

First one was ordered in September 17, went into RMA in December 18.

Second one ordered December 18, just stopped working, will be opening an RMA request shortly. I had put a new battery in it, and upon screwing it together, the red lights come on and blink slowly. Lights don’t change if you press the power button or connect to charger.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Just ordered my third hopper.

First one was ordered in September 17, went into RMA in December 18.

Second one ordered December 18, just stopped working, will be opening an RMA request shortly. I had put a new battery in it, and upon screwing it together, the red lights come on and blink slowly. Lights don’t change if you press the power button or connect to charger.
WHY?? Good luck. My lone pre order Ti, ordered in ‘15 and shipped in ‘16, died in September ‘18 and off it went into RMA-ville where it still resides. I won’t give HL any more money except for fresh batteries which they can’t keep in stock anyway. Yeah, I ordered a few a couple months ago figuring when I get my unit back I’ll have a few new ones to enjoy it wit but the new batch is delayed - so what else is new? SSDD with them...:peace:

Top Bottom