Discontinued The Grasshopper

Poostuff

Please delete
So Hopper Labs are recommending not to remove the front screen.
Anyone who's had the screen come loose & had to remove it to clean it to reinstall it knows that it is a durable metal screen but it's seated in a kind of plastic cone.
I've often wondered if the plastic is acting as an insulator between the metal screen & the body. Maybe that's why they're recommending not to remove it, if you install it incorrectly maybe the hopper will arc.
If that's true it rules out replacing it with a standard screen, which would be easier to clean & probably less restrictive.

biohacker

I read all of these about four times (confusing!) and while I'm happy for you, I'm not seeing that we've learned definitively about a $45 warranty transfer option. The initial offer was for you to get a warranty IF the hopper were still unregistered. So, the 'buy a box" for $45 sounds more like it to me. I don't see that an offer to transfer from another owner has been made.

However, since it is registered already, they just need permission from the original owner, and for $45 they will transfer the lifetime warranty to me.

You must have been under the influence of the GH! :rofl:Where did you get confused?

I can't promise they will do it for others, but I really don't see why they wouldn't....pretty sure they know i'm posting here, and pretty sure they read these posts.

Hopper Labs will transfer a LIFETIME warranty for $45 as long as the original owner gives permission.

Hopper Labs will sell you a LIFETIME warranty for $45 if you lose/dont have your box/id code.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
You must have been under the influence of the GH! :rofl:Where did you get confused?

I can't promise they will do it for others, but I really don't see why they wouldn't....pretty sure they know i'm posting here, and pretty sure they read these posts.

Hopper Labs will transfer a LIFETIME warranty for $45 as long as the original owner gives permission.

Hopper Labs will sell you a LIFETIME warranty for $45 if you lose/dont have your box/id code.
I see that I missed a statement. Boy I'm glad it's so BOLD here for me. I definitely am sitting here with Hopper.
While I am still happy for you, and glad HL is trying to work with you, especially since they're a young company,
I am really turned off by this concept. Why call it a lifetime warranty in the first place? Who's lifetime are we talking about here?
So, when I'm on my deathbed, for about $45 dollars I can transfer my Hopper to little grand son. He's two. Great!

Well, it's deja vu all over again. Should this be over in the really under-employed;
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ethics-karma-and-grasshopper-warranty-discussion.21860/

vapviking,

biohacker

I am really turned off by this concept. Why call it a lifetime warranty in the first place? Who's lifetime are we talking about here?

It's for the LIFETIME of the GRASSHOPPER. So nice to see a company support their product even if it has moved on from the original owner. Nice work Hopper Labs! :tup:

How can you be turned off by this concept @vapviking? Looks like I have a new thread to subscribe to :o

Boy I'm glad it's so BOLD here for me.

I wrote those statements in bold for others that may be looking for warranty transfer information, so it stood out clearly.

Last edited:
biohacker,
Reactions: moondog

vapviking

Old & In the Way
From the owner's manual, online version under 'Warranty'.

"Your Grasshopper Vaporizer carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty covers manufacturing defects and most general “wear and tear” on the device, for the lifetime of the purchaser."

and

"This warranty covers only the original purchaser of the device."

vapviking,

biohacker

That's a pretty common "cover their ass" clause that most manufacturers use. Hopper Labs can modify, alter, and change their warranty as they see fit at anytime. It's obvious that being a young company they are improvising and changing some of their business practices and protocol as time marches on.

biohacker,

Baron23

I see that I missed a statement. Boy I'm glad it's so BOLD here for me. I definitely am sitting here with Hopper.
While I am still happy for you, and glad HL is trying to work with you, especially since they're a young company,
So, when I'm on my deathbed, for about $45 dollars I can transfer my Hopper to little grand son. He's two. Great!

Well, it's deja vu all over again. Should this be over in the really under-employed;
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/ethics-karma-and-grasshopper-warranty-discussion.21860/
I don't understand what you find disgruntling about Hopper's warranty policy?? Bit confused here, my friend. Can you amplify?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
That's a pretty common "cover their ass" clause that most manufacturers use. Hopper Labs can modify, alter, and change their warranty as they see fit at anytime. It's obvious that being a young company they are improvising and changing some of their business practices and protocol as time marches on.
I thought maybe quoting from the warranty might show that
It's for the LIFETIME of the GRASSHOPPER.
is not the case, even in all caps.
So, I'm not turned off by the concept you are describing. I'm turned off by the concept I was describing.

vapviking,

Mustang_52

Can anybody tell me if you are charged right away if you preorder? And does anybody have any insight on if it's worth getting titanium over as besides weight and durability?

Mustang_52,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Can anybody tell me if you are charged right away if you preorder? And does anybody have any insight on if it's worth getting titanium over as besides weight and durability?
It's been quite a while, but IIRC, you get charged immediately. I got one of each and if I got to do it over again knowing what I know now, I would have ordered 2 SS. The TI is lighter, but otherwise I don't see any advantage over the SS other than, As Mr. M. points out, the option of colors.

Well, I was going to post a little update about my latest hopper adventures and observations, but instead I'm here to report that it looks like I'll finally be getting the full-on hopper experience. My SS would appear to have shit the bed.

Turned it on and got a brief red light followed by nothing. Tried cycling it through a few clicks - nothing. Swapped in a fresh battery - nothing. Took the back end off, gave it a workout, and reattached it - nothing. Took the back end off my TI and tried that - nothing. This last bit indicates to me that the problem is with the SS body, but I did notice in the day or two before this that for the first time, my back end was getting very hot.

The troubleshooting guide says I need additional support and counsels filing a warranty request. I just got done registering my hopper and will move forward. Oh well, here's hoping my warranty experience is as smooth as others'.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeMama

@moondog , what happens if you hold down the clicker mid-way. Look for that spot in the motion of clicking that feels like that switch inside is exactly on that edge of making (or breaking) contact. Do you get any lights during doing this?

It's one way, I've been led to understand, to see if it's the backend for sure, or possibly the body.
My recent grey TI backend replacement had completely crapped out (even though a few days later it started working flawlessly) exhibited the above, which helped GH diagnose it.

Anyway, sorry, to hear your hopper took a dive. Keep us up on the experience!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Well, I was going to post a little update about my latest hopper adventures and observations, but instead I'm here to report that it looks like I'll finally be getting the full-on hopper experience. My SS would appear to have shit the bed.

Turned it on and got a brief red light followed by nothing. Tried cycling it through a few clicks - nothing. Swapped in a fresh battery - nothing. Took the back end off, gave it a workout, and reattached it - nothing. Took the back end off my TI and tried that - nothing. This last bit indicates to me that the problem is with the SS body, but I did notice in the day or two before this that for the first time, my back end was getting very hot.

The troubleshooting guide says I need additional support and counsels filing a warranty request. I just got done registering my hopper and will move forward. Oh well, here's hoping my warranty experience is as smooth as others'.
so sorry to hear of your loss
get yourself some 5x7 bubble envelopes...might as well be the multi-pack...
I'm sure you know the drill, describe the light pattern and be sure to tell of swapping parts with known-working hopper.
So, does SS backend fire up the Ti Body? would that confirm and illustrate that the culprit is the SS body?

You are so smart to have a backup!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
So, does SS backend fire up the Ti Body? would that confirm and illustrate that the culprit is the SS body?
You are so smart to have a backup!

Damn, that's a good idea. Maybe would have thought of that if it wasn't 1:30 am when it happened.

Yeah, this is exactly why I bought 2.

EDIT: Well, this is confusing. I swapped out the back ends. The SS back end fired up the TI body just fine. Then I swapped the parts back to their original mates and the SS back end fired up the SS body just fine. :shrug:

It's a Festivus miracle!!! Didn't actually try vaping with it. but I guess I'll try to keep using it and see what GHL says.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Damn, that's a good idea. Maybe would have thought of that if it wasn't 1:30 am when it happened.

Yeah, this is exactly why I bought 2.

EDIT: Well, this is confusing. I swapped out the back ends. The SS back end fired up the TI body just fine. Then I swapped the parts back to their original mates and the SS back end fired up the SS body just fine. :shrug:

It's a Festivus miracle!!! Didn't actually try vaping with it. but I guess I'll try to keep using it and see what GHL says.
I had this issue with my previous plain Ti body.
It would work occasionally, but the red lights lingered for ~10s.

Points of interest from the warranty ordeal:
"Caroline (Hopper Labs) Sept. 26, 2016, 9:47 a.m.
Please press and hold the Back End button down. Does the red led turn blue or turn off? It is likely caused by a small pin in your Back End shifting out of place and not holding your Hopper in the on position. If you press and hold the button down, you may be able to reset the pin, which also explains why the issue is not consistent. Please let me know what happens when you hold the button down."

"Caroline (Hopper Labs) Sept. 27, 2016, 10:23 a.m.
Hi There,

Typically, the red then off issue is caused by either the Body or Back End. If it is a Back End issue, this is caused by a pin shifting out of place and can be corrected when you press and hold the button down while the red LED is on. If the red LED continues to turn off, it is a Body issue. Please play around with this a bit and swap parts to determine which part needs to be replaced. Press and hold the button all the way down while the red LED is on and see if it turns blue. If not, it seems most likely that your Body is causing this issue. Let me know."

Ive got a question, for anybody really. I just pre-ordered a GH to replace my severely ailing PnP (Pinnacle Pro). I just noticed, however, that the GH temp range only goes up to 410° F, where my PnP has a stated max temp of 470° F. I typically vape using my PnP starting off at the 3rd heat setting and finish the bowl off at the 4th, which is said to correspond to temps of 420° F and 445° F, respectively. Does anyone have any insight into whether the PnP temp claims are in fact accurate, and if so, should i expect to experience a downgrade in my flower extraction capability due to my transition from a PnP to a GH, as these temp range differentials seem to suggest?

Mickey Bricks,

MoltenTiger

Ive got a question, for anybody really. I just pre-ordered a GH to replace my severely ailing PnP (Pinnacle Pro). I just noticed, however, that the GH temp range only goes up to 410° F, where my PnP has a stated max temp of 470° F. I typically vape using my PnP starting off at the 3rd heat setting and finish the bowl off at the 4th, which is said to correspond to temps of 420° F and 445° F, respectively. Does anyone have any insight into whether the PnP temp claims are in fact accurate, and if so, should i expect to experience a downgrade in my flower extraction capability due to my transition from a PnP to a GH, as these temp range differentials seem to suggest?
I have no experience with a PnP, however compared to my EQ desktop, the GH is better at extracting. The ABV is more even and the clouds are bigger and tastier.

The principle is dry distillation and the hopper is designed by people who understand the dynamics required to do it efficiently. I am over the moon with my hoppers, the only downside is durability (which is good enough, and the warranty is great so it balances out).

Not many vaporizers have accurate temp ranges, the EQ can be set at 260°C (GH max is 210), but there's not a single sensor in the herb chamber. The dispersion of temp range is evident in the mixed colouring of the ABV. Most conduction oriented vapes will suffer similar disparity.
The hopper is a well thought out system, it is small and sensitive, but when they are going they vape amazingly well. The GH is designed for rapid extraction so it differs from most other vapes designed for sipping seshes.

Different vapes have a different signature of effect too, the EQ does heat parts of the chamber beyond what the GH is capable, and this alters the type of high given (subtly).

I would expect going from the PnP to GH it would be a great upgrade. However it will produce a slightly different effect. I really enjoy the signature of the hopper, however it is a fairly hard hitting experience.
There are a lot of variables when it comes to vaping, not every device is suited for every use case. The GH is a fairly good all-rounder though.

Gramin

Just emailed support re: sending ghb2 batteries to Australia. Are they still really crap at replying? I've forgotten who we were emailing to get our orders posted. Caroline?

MoltenTiger

Just emailed support re: sending ghb2 batteries to Australia. Are they still really crap at replying? I've forgotten who we were emailing to get our orders posted. Caroline?
What was your question?
I got some GHB2s sent out late Oct, arrived early Nov. I requested it to be sent in a box, not just bubble wrap (my previous bubble wrapped parcel got chewed to pieces by a conveyor belt [the same day as the Dreamworld disaster :( ]).
Shipping took 12 days for the box to get to Tassie.

Soon after, around mid-Nov, they sold out of batteries which held up pre-ordered GH shipments and it took a few weeks before they had stock again.
You should be able to get some sent out to you if you email Caroline.

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

MoltenTiger

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/52uugz/has_anyone_ordered_replacement_batteries/

This guy had some trouble and I wanted to ask if they've ironed out issues sending here. I've had 4 batteries sent previously no drama but thought maybe I just got lucky. I want 5 GHB2s this time :)
Local Li-ion restrictions are imposed by AusPOST due to insurance liability with flying Li-ion.
Importing batteries happens en masse, and they don't want to add any extras to the equation.
AusPOST refuse to air-mail Li-ion for consumers, but will freight them via land/sea.

When I had to return my entire GH + charger, I had to arrange to do it without batteries or it would have taken months by sea.

I got 5 GHB2s exchanged for my SS case funds, and they arrived via air no worries.

MoltenTiger,

Gramin

Long as I'm guaranteed 2's I'll be all over this order very soon. My 5 GHB1's are getting flogged.

Gramin,

MoltenTiger

Long as I'm guaranteed 2's I'll be all over this order very soon. My 5 GHB1's are getting flogged.
That's all they'd have with the latest batch, seeing as they sold out before and get them direct from the manufacturer. I think Vapefiend still has old stock floating, which have older chargers and GHB1s.

My 2s are holding up well. One battery saw me through two days for the first time ever last week :p

Top Bottom