Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
HeyyyHooo...today I couldnt resist and went to Verdampftnochmal, bought the Hopper but ...no replacement batteries in stock atm :o!!

Bought it as an X-mas gift for my gf but was to eager not to check it. It feels and looks awesome. Threads are smooth. On first view everything seems to be ok.
Could empty a low temp load before bat died. Really a nice piece!! Waiting for reload ;);)...

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
The Grasshopper is an epic vape
UfgAKwn.jpg

:D with some help from E-Nano

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
FYI, yesterday when I was at the shop of Verdampftnochmal in Berlin I talked with the guys.

Regarding to Hoppers one important point. They will not have coloured Tis in the future anymore. When actual stock of coloured ones will be empty they only want to sell the SS and the pure Ti.

They couldnt believe that there are a lot of undelivered old pre orders. Dont understand GHLs behaviour in this question but not really wondering cause of their own experiences as a big start up supporter and vendor of their products.

VapeKnight

Day Tripper
I've been off this thread for 6 months , I've had my two Ti hoppers for 10 months with no issues other than the back ends getting a little hotter than I would prefer. Hopefully the heat doesn't affect the circuit boards. I started with four batteries and two of them no longer hold a charge. Have I missed any relevant info concerning the batteries ? Luckily a friend who was waiting for a leather sleeve was able to add extra batteries to his order for me. worse case I believe I would still be able to use the hopper plugged in to its charging cable with a battery installed. If I remember correctly , the hopper will work while plugged into its charging cable, however, I'm not sure if anyone has verified that the unit still operates in this manner with a non functioning battery installed.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
They really should just say "eventually"
I know GHL's "creative interpretation" of their ESDs is our little running joke, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has ordered since the ESDs went to "x weeks from now" as to whether GHL is hitting those, coming close, or what.:popcorn:

moondog,
Reactions: Hjalmark

tubasco

Think about it this way:
1) HL takes preorders from individuals. Tells them whatever timeframe PayPal is cool with.
2) HL also takes larger orders from retailers. (We know this is happening because some retailers have them in stock now. And who is this "bobinthesaab" on eBay anyway?)
3) HL prioritizes the larger retailer orders.
4) HL sends out individual preorders when they get around to it.

This keeps cash flowing in. If they told individual preorders that it will take almost a year then the preorders would ONLY go to retailers. (Retailers likely pay a wholesale price to HL.)

So by doing it this way they get to keep cash flowing in, which keeps them able to restock parts. I imagine eventually they will sell the company/technology.

That appears to be the source of the delay.

(That, and I'm still convinced that the heater manufacturer can barely keep up.)

And on a separate note: why do the bodies appear to be disposable? It seems when the gold positive battery contact wears off that the heat up time takes longer, and the body eventually dies. Every time you adjust the temp with a battery inside you are wearing off more of that positive battery contact. My theory is it is NOT a solid metal contact because if it was and got loose it could cause a very serious accident/short. So instead it simply slowly wears away from friction. Then we send in the body, they replace the contact, harvest the heaters etc...and send out refurbished ones as warranty replacements.

There must be a way to make the bodies last longer, right? I don't see how this is a sustainable model.

(EDIT: this is all purely speculation from an early indiegogo backer)

Last edited:

ZC

Performance on my hopper is starting to deteriorate. Sometimes it won't even get through a single bowl before showing red lights and turning off as if the batteries spent. But put the battery on the charger and the voltage is still at 3.8. Pretty early cutoff.

Don't know if it's worth sending it in yet. I don't use it very often anyways ATM but it is a nice vape when working correctly.

tubasco

Performance on my hopper is starting to deteriorate. Sometimes it won't even get through a single bowl before showing red lights and turning off as if the batteries spent. But put the battery on the charger and the voltage is still at 3.8. Pretty early cutoff.

Don't know if it's worth sending it in yet. I don't use it very often anyways ATM but it is a nice vape when working correctly.
From what I remember the batteries stop discharging around 3.7ish, so that sounds about right

tubasco,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Purple Lava Lamp

What's the wait time down to now for ordering from website?

Those of us who received our Grasshoppers in this past week originally placed our orders back in February & March of 2016... if that gives you an idea...

Website states "3-4 weeks" still.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but... if you want to get a realistic estimated shipping date, do NOT go by what their website says. Take a look at what people are posting on the Grasshopper Shipping Poll thread.

Last edited:

JoeMama

Regarding the replacement backend
I just received from GHL...

My grey Ti backend that I have had for about 5 months has not had a backend replacement til now. The body was replaced within the first week. I recently wrote that, after I reported the backend and they shipped the new backend, the "failed" one started working again. Flawlessly.
I almost thought of telling GHL, but @Vapor_Eyes gave good advice and told me to just roll with it and take the new one and ship the old one back. I'm glad I did...

(BTW, I have a raw Ti the exact same age, and had it's backend replaced at about the same time as the grey Ti body, and that new backend - I thought - felt just fine.)

This new grey backend actually feels great. The Temp dial turning is so much more effortless and virtually feels smooth as glass. It's like it's a new design to the way it feels. Under performance it stays utterly cool and the vapor is abundant. And this is comparing it to my raw Ti.

I can't wait for the raw Ti backend to fail so I can get the latest production run of backends for it.

horst

horsed
I can't wait for the raw Ti backend to fail so I can get the latest production run of backends for it.

This feels wrong in so many ways to me, can't help but laugh about it. :lol:

Think about adopting this customer and manufactor behaviour for the car industry.
"I hope my new electric Volkswagen will have an engine fail soon, so I can get the newest version which hopefully performs stable."

Hard to imagine this will ever work out as a success when customers already hoping for fails

Top Bottom