Discontinued The Grasshopper

tubasco

It's been four weeks since I got my Ti, here's a comparison of the inside battery contact:

Brand New:
MLn9TdI.jpg

After Four Weeks:
8FSBJ6L.jpg

Sorry for the differences in lighting. I couldn't get them to match no matter how hard I tried.

Notice how the grid pattern is pretty much unchanged, despite the gold-colored finish wearing off in the center.

Also, I didn't notice when I first got it but there is a big silver gouge at the edge of the gold ring in the 8 o'clock position.
I just noticed a difference between this circuit board and my 8 1/2 month old one!

In the pictured (new) one there are two places that the battery contact connects to the board. Let's call it 1:00 and 2:00, and there is a circuit between them...and ample space on either side of them (the plain black area) which I assume is a small buffer area of insulation to help prevent short circuiting?

On my older one those two places that connect to the battery contact are DIRECTLY next to each other, and are both very close to that solder point, without ample space around them. I can see how it might be advantageous to separate those points.

And my plating is significantly worn as well. Could it be that there is ONLY plating on the circuit board as the primary battery contact? And when the plating is worn there is no contact left to transfer power? Plating-only seems like a bad idea with the way the temp dial works. But I don't know electronics.

I know one thing: I am NEVER adjusting the temp dial with the battery installed on my replacement.

JoeMama

FW?! This is totally new to me... I just checked out some vids of it, and I think this is getting my VAS on. :uhoh:

it looks like it has everything to be a nice at-home vape. I love the hopper and it does satisfy all day, but with all the worry about it being so prone to problems...

It has a bigger chamber, and seems like you can load it up for a longer up-time than the hopper.
Does this seem like a great higher-duty product to you, @Mr Mellish ? How's the battery situation, does it last well enough between charges?

I'm not in a rush, so I'd love to get the FW4 if it gets good reviews.... OhboyOhboyOhboy

JoeMama,
Reactions: moondog

Mr Mellish

FW?! This is totally new to me... I just checked out some vids of it, and I think this is getting my VAS on. :uhoh:

it looks like it has everything to be a nice at-home vape. I love the hopper and it does satisfy all day, but with all the worry about it being so prone to problems...

It has a bigger chamber, and seems like you can load it up for a longer up-time than the hopper.
Does this seem like a great higher-duty product to you, @Mr Mellish ? How's the battery situation, does it last well enough between charges?

I'm not in a rush, so I'd love to get the FW4 if it gets good reviews.... OhboyOhboyOhboy

Hey, @JoeMama. I haven't compared but I'm pretty sure the GH chamber is bigger. But...the FW works just as well and the battery (batteries?) last longer than the GH and the vapor is smoother and tastier. The FW4 is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on an FF2. If the FF2 is that much better on flavor than the FW3, I would be shocked. The FW3 blows away everything I have:

GH-SS
GH-Ti
MFLB
Pax2
Prima
Vapman
Crafty
ESV
PnP (deceased)

Seriously, no comparison. The FW3 showed me that flavor was a valid component of the process, like nothing else I've experienced. But, I still love my GH's. The FW3 is actually pretty fast but it still pales in comparison to the GH in terms of speed to action and speed to lifeless crispy ABV. All these goddamn trade-offs can be annoying as shit, I'm not playing Dungeons and Dragons here, I just want a great experience without having to design my tool...

And that is why I am struggling with what to do with my ESV.

JoeMama

Hey, @JoeMama. I haven't compared but I'm pretty sure the GH chamber is bigger. But...the FW works just as well and the battery (batteries?) last longer than the GH and the vapor is smoother and tastier. The FW4 is the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on an FF2. If the FF2 is that much better on flavor than the FW3, I would be shocked. The FW3 blows away everything I have:

GH-SS
GH-Ti
MFLB
Pax2
Prima
Vapman
Crafty
ESV
PnP (deceased)

Seriously, no comparison. The FW3 showed me that flavor was a valid component of the process, like nothing else I've experienced. But, I still love my GH's. The FW3 is actually pretty fast but it still pales in comparison to the GH in terms of speed to action and speed to lifeless crispy ABV. All these goddamn trade-offs can be annoying as shit, I'm not playing Dungeons and Dragons here, I just want a great experience without having to design my tool...

And that is why I am struggling with what to do with my ESV.
Thank you (and for your response on the FW forum)!

I will definitely be looking for more reviews on the FW4. I like how the battery on it can be easily replaced.

Rather than take up space here on it, I'll PM you when I wanna pick your brain more :) Thanks again.

JoeMama,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Pears

Does anyone know how long Grasshopper usually takes to ship accessories? Ordered almost a week ago and nothing...

Pears,

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Thank you (and for your response on the FW forum)!

I will definitely be looking for more reviews on the FW4. I like how the battery on it can be easily replaced.

Rather than take up space here on it, I'll PM you when I wanna pick your brain more :) Thanks again.

Here, here. Keeping my eye on FW4.

DAMN DAMN DAMN ! Now I just lengthen the waiting list for Firewood because everyone here on GH wants one :D

Kermitt

Yesterday, my Hopper turn immediately from red to blue, without getting temperature. After 10 Minutes the Hopper worked right again. I hope it was a one time thing :-(

It happens again. Does anyone know this problem and may help me? I feel my hopper dies just slowly.

Kermitt,

Mr. Me2

jabba

Thanks, this tip helped.

And now? Can I live with that or will it get worse?

Please wait....my crystal ball is at the shop getting serviced. Once repaired, I will ask the all knowing glass ball and get back with you ASAP.

jabba,

ZC

So I really don't like the clip on the hopper and wanted to take it off entirely. Figured it's an aesthetic thing so hopefully it wouldn't void the warranty, but this is the response I got:

Hi There,

Removing the clip will void the warranty on your Back End. We will still offer service for the other components of your Hopper. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,
Caroline

It's a bummer, I guess my clip is staying on. But at least it doesn't void the whole warranty and they'd service the other parts of the hopper.

JoeMama

Sorry for the stupid question. But it could be, that someone in this forum had the same problem, and knows how it ended.

Kermitt, unfortunately a considerable number of us have had issues with lights; some have worked themselves out, and some haven't. I'm guessing, but having any behavior like that will likely result in an inevitable failure. But until it does, you're just going to have to deal with the uncertainty. Perhaps, as I would do if I were you, use the hopper a lot, don't baby it, and see if it survives. If it does, then you've lucked out with a self-fixing hopper. If it doesn't, then it was ultimately meant for a warranty repair.

So I really don't like the clip on the hopper and wanted to take it off entirely. Figured it's an aesthetic thing so hopefully it wouldn't void the warranty, but this is the response I got:

Hi There,

Removing the clip will void the warranty on your Back End. We will still offer service for the other components of your Hopper. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,
Caroline

It's a bummer, I guess my clip is staying on. But at least it doesn't void the whole warranty and they'd service the other parts of the hopper.

ZC, I just want to suggest that, at least for my fingers, the clip is a helpful "nub" that helps me loosen and tighten while leaving the Temp dial unmoved. It looks like a solid band going around the backend, and it might hold those guts in, so think hard about dat for you do it!

Last edited:

ZC

@JoeMama

Yeah, I'm not doing it. I expect to need my hopper warranty.

That said, I was going to leave the nub and just cut off the part that does down below the metal band. My main problem with the clip is that it scratches the surface of the hopper when removing the backend.

JoeMama

@JoeMama

That said, I was going to leave the nub and just cut off the part that does down below the metal band. My main problem with the clip is that it scratches the surface of the hopper when removing the backend.
You mean the bottom end of the clip is touching the body when it's screwed together?
If so, can you not bend it with a couple of needle-noses?

6079Smith

@JoeMama

I found an unexpected perk of warranty service through Hopper Labs was that they will, at no additional cost, scratch your new and pristine device up for you! You don't even have to request this unique, lifetime custom etching- they just provide this service, free of charge

Snarkiness aside, I was over it quickly. Kind of liberating, even, like the first few blemishes on a vehicle. My original back end I had success bending the clip away from the body, the second I did not bother.

MoltenTiger

Finally filed my warranty for my second unit.
My other replacement body should be here Monday, pretty damn keen.
Hopefully my newer replacement body will go the right way around the globe and get to me sooner. Fuckin USPS.
It suuuucks not having a hopper.
The GH is better than my EQ in every way. But as a back-up vape, it's a tank and it's nice for it to see use, I guess.

I have to mention the merit in getting friends to buy onto your HL order, I've still been able to use a GH and that is something I really appreciated.
Can't wait to get both of mine working again though!
Won't be long, I'll be having a triple treat hit to celebrate I reckon

Mr. Me2

Hi There,

Best,
Caroline

An added benefit of the clip is that it stops your gh from rolling off the table (not new news, of course...)

Top Bottom