Discontinued The Grasshopper

cobra505

Defined
So I have kind of a generic question regarding these since I was considering purchasing one of these as a traveling device. It seems like everyone is selling them? Why?

cobra505,
Reactions: Squiby

Justpassedu

In my opinion your backend should be replaced... I also encountered small shocks when I am touching the backend (when it is on) but not when changing batteries (which I did not when I got my gh) and also my batteries drain very fast in comparission to when I got my hopper... please let us/me know what ghl told you...

DiD I mention how much I like the gh

Thanks btka , they replied with a few tests they wanted me to try for them so i did that and replied. Basically asking me how long it takes to heat from low and high and also they asked if the battery shocks me if i hold negative and positive and that is not my problem , its when i touch the body and clicker i will randomly get a shock , sometimes when screwing the back end back on and it is off. They stated the gap in the back end is normal. So i am now waiting to see if i could send it in . Id like a hopper that runs a bit hotter as mine only now produces visible vapor at setting 5 and one that works properly. I want to like my hopper as much as you. I think it looks awesome , now i want it to run the same.

JoeMama

Thanks btka , they replied with a few tests they wanted me to try for them so i did that and replied. Basically asking me how long it takes to heat from low and high and also they asked if the battery shocks me if i hold negative and positive...

Sorry for your difficulties, Just... Curious, who asks this? GHL?
I'm stifling my speculations about whether GHL is getting more "communicative" by asking good questions.

Hey, Me2, not yet, but I expect it to arrive today so I can try it out.
I'll definitely be posting on it.

Meanwhile, in case anyone has asked GHL about leather sleeves and SS cases:

Me: Hi, Caroline; I’m curious about the two leather sleeves and stainless case status…. please advise?
Love my two hoppers, they work great now.

GHL: We are still waiting on the Leather Sleeves to arrive here. As soon we get them in-stock, I will get yours shipped out.

Me: I’m curious about the two leather sleeves and stainless case status…. please advise?
Love my two hoppers, they work great now.

GHL: The SS Case is still in development and will be available once we get them in-stock. If you already have one on your order, it will ship out as soon as we get them.

Me: Yes, but do you have any idea of the ETA of these things?

GHL: Unfortunately, I don't have any concrete date information for either of these items to be back in-stock. I would hate to bother you with another estimated date only for that to be changed again. I apologize for the inconvenience.

:doh:

I've been in communication for a couple weeks regarding my leather sleeve as well and every week I reach out they say "should be next week". I have pretty much quit reaching out. I do wish they would ship other components that are in stock that I also ordered in the meantime, though.

Hey guys,

Had my TI Hopper since the end of February. A month ago it started taking much longer to heat up (up to 20 seconds) which led to combustion pretty much every time I tried to use it.

I used the Nitecore D2 charger to charge a total of four batteries all experienced the same results.

On Monday I finally accepted that my hopper was very ill , I decided to contact @VapeFiend.com for warranty purposes.

I received an email back telling me I needed to register my hopper on hopper labs and to also fill out a small warranty form.

After doing just that I get an email from hopper labs -about 3 hours later telling me that a new replacement body was being shipped out to me , next thing I know I have a dispatch email from Vapefiend telling me my replacement body was being shipped out for next day delivery.

Was amazed at how easy of a process that was, all done in a day pretty much. The replacement body did the trick and I'm reminded at what an amazing piece of technology this device is.

Sorry just wanted to let others know that if you got/get your hopper from @VapeFiend.com , You're in good hands.

Vapefiend is the bomb. Great service, etc. They seem to be the premium re-seller of GH. I wonder if GH actually secretly hates fulfilling orders, so they just sell mass quantities of GH's and accessories to Vapefiend for retail sales. They always have them in stock and barely at a premium when you factor in the free shipping.

Justpassedu

Sorry for your difficulties, Just... Curious, who asks this? GHL?
I'm stifling my speculations about whether GHL is getting more "communicative" by asking good questions.
If this helps , this was the reply i had got back -
" Hi There,

Can you describe the feeling of a shock? The highest voltage you should feel is equal to just holding the Battery by either end in between your fingers. Do you feel a shock by doing that?

The Battery should not be draining a noticeable amount from sitting in your Hopper for a few days. If you left it for a few weeks, you may notice a lower battery level when you return to it.

Please turn the device on the lowest heat setting, then press the on button down and time how long it takes to turn blue. Then, turn it off and set the temp to the higher setting. Again, press it on and time how long it takes to turn blue. Does it take longer to turn blue on a higher heat setting than the lower heat setting?

The gap you see in your Backend is normal. Each Back End has some variance and will have some play.

I am happy to take a look at your device and see what may be going on with it. Truthfully, it does not seem like anything you reported is a known issue, so we would need you to return your device to us for testing. Please answer those questions above and I will get back to you with the best way to proceed. "

I have not got a response back yet but am hoping it is positive and helpful.

You mean just because the sleeves are part of an order that contains items that are in stock, they're not shipping the stocked items?? Say it ain't so.

Exactly... I have 2 batteries, a sleeve, shirt, front end, and 2 mouthpieces. All are on hold because of the one bloody sleeve.

JoeMama

If this helps , this was the reply i had got back -
" Hi There,

Can you describe the feeling of a shock? The highest voltage you should feel is equal to just holding the Battery by either end in between your fingers. Do you feel a shock by doing that?

The Battery should not be draining a noticeable amount from sitting in your Hopper for a few days. If you left it for a few weeks, you may notice a lower battery level when you return to it.

Please turn the device on the lowest heat setting, then press the on button down and time how long it takes to turn blue. Then, turn it off and set the temp to the higher setting. Again, press it on and time how long it takes to turn blue. Does it take longer to turn blue on a higher heat setting than the lower heat setting?

The gap you see in your Backend is normal. Each Back End has some variance and will have some play.

I am happy to take a look at your device and see what may be going on with it. Truthfully, it does not seem like anything you reported is a known issue, so we would need you to return your device to us for testing. Please answer those questions above and I will get back to you with the best way to proceed. "

I have not got a response back yet but am hoping it is positive and helpful.

Thanks, Just, that's very helpful to know the manner in which they are taking BATTERY issues. It could be that they have a keen awareness of the need for a better battery for safety reasons as much as performance - especially lately.

I wonder if, even in this country alone.... if anyone wouldn't find a place on the internet to talk about having a battery safety issue such as we've heard in our beloved forum. I know we are certainly not under a microscope in reality, but how many hoppers are owned by people that aren't stoked about it enough to make chatter about it? I hope that made some sense to someone... even one person, that'd be fine :D

Exactly... I have 2 batteries, a sleeve, shirt, front end, and 2 mouthpieces. All are on hold because of the one bloody sleeve.

How about canceling the order only for items that are in stock, keeping the sleeves on it, and then place another, new, order for those items they have no reason to "hold"? :2c:

Baron23

GHL: The SS Case is still in development and will be available once we get them in-stock. If you already have one on your order, it will ship out as soon as we get them.

Wow. Take a second year mechanical engineering student and he/she can design a frakin SS tube (with or without herb chamber). Hard to believe that they still have it in 'development'. What's there to develop?

Baron23

So I have kind of a generic question regarding these since I was considering purchasing one of these as a traveling device. It seems like everyone is selling them? Why?

I'm not selling mine.

Might want to take a look at the GH thread under Portables.

Mine is rock solid performer. Sadly, Hopper Labs is still struggling to get manufacturing quality up to snuff and many have had multiple RMAs already. Hopper Labs seems very willing on the parts replacement but how long can that go on for?

Also, many who place pre-orders found them available via Euro retail shops (e.g. vapefiend.com) and perhaps they are selling on their delivered pre-orders?

Finally, like all vapes....it just doesn't suit some people for a myriad of reasons. Just like all of them.

Cheers

How about canceling the order only for items that are in stock, keeping the sleeves on it, and then place another, new, order for those items they have no reason to "hold"? :2c:

I thought about this, but I don't need the other items all that bad, don't want to pay separate shipping, and am holding out hope that the sleeve will be in sooner than later. I saw the post about the sleeve today and it makes me wonder how long they've been out of them!

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Colorado Folks! Terrapin Care Station, medical and retail dispensary which is based in Boulder like Hopper Labs has finally received its Retailer Kit! Grasshoppers will be available on a first come, first serve basis with limited quantities in Boulder at Recreational Terrapin Care Station 1795 Folsom Street Boulder, Medical Terrapin 5370 Manhattan Circle #104 Boulder and at Terrapin Denver at 1 Broadway #A150! https://www.terrapincarestation.com/find-a-station/

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
There was so much hype about the hopper, some people were bound to be disappointed when it came out. I think one person has had to send in their hopper 7 times for repairs. Having to pay the shipping one way can get expensive, especially for customers outside the US.

The vape has a lot of promise, but I still consider it a beta product. If the stealth factor and on-demand heating are very important, it could be a good choice. There are some people who've been using it for months without problems. But it's important to know the potential downsides also.

btka

in my opinion you overstate... I am not seeing so much people selling them... but everybody has different needs... if you like big clouds and usimg a bubbler or other sortmof glass I would recommend you to buy a hopper... thatbisnhow I am using my gh mostly..

JoeMama

Blue Tac is Cool.

The pics below are different color balances (one flash, one without, then both adjusted.... mainly because I suck at taking pictures).

The second picture shows the second application of Blue Tac. I did so immediately after the first; you can see there was still some grime to come up.

Zi6q40o.jpg

5f0QF9n.jpg

It's harder to do the inside threads of the body, but I used something like the front-body of a ball-point pen to press the Tac into the body threads and roll around til it's a full circle.

TIP: The Blue Tac is easier to handle when it is not too warm. Using it makes it warm up (kneeding) and just like silly putty has a "best texture" point that you will discover for yourself.

Threads feel smooth and even as if there is a healthy play between the threads as it screws together.

This stuff is great! It's reusable, so one pack will last months if not more.

It looks like DeToxit may be unnecessary, though I have not tried to use it after the Blue Tac as a "test" if there was anything left to clean. Perhaps at one point I may... But this is way easier!

Blue Tac is Cool.

The pics below are different color balances (one flash, one without, then both adjusted.... mainly because I suck at taking pictures).

The second picture shows the second application of Blue Tac. I did so immediately after the first; you can see there was still some grime to come up.

Zi6q40o.jpg

5f0QF9n.jpg

It's harder to do the inside threads of the body, but I used something like the front-body of a ball-point pen to press the Tac into the body threads and roll around til it's a full circle.

TIP: The Blue Tac is easier to handle when it is not too warm. Using it makes it warm up (kneeding) and just like silly putty has a "best texture" point that you will discover for yourself.

Threads feel smooth and even as if there is a healthy play between the threads as it screws together.

It looks like DeToxit may be unnecessary, though I have not tried to use it after the Blue Tac as a "test" if there was anything left to clean. Perhaps at one point I may... But this is way easier!

Thanks for the hookup on the experience, that stuff looks dope!

Mr. Me2

Blue Tac is Cool.

Zi6q40o.jpg

5f0QF9n.jpg

Using the blu tac on the interior threads makes sense, but... You're not afraid of some blu tac leave behind?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Blue Tac is Cool.

Zi6q40o.jpg

5f0QF9n.jpg

Nice pictures!
I'm glad to see you like this stuff for thread cleaning, though I'm really surprised at how much gunk you're showing, considering that you have been religious with the Deoxit and regular cleaning every few days (?). From the use pattern you recently described, I think my two hoppers are about on par with yours (generally, for use and I clean with alcohol every couple of days) and I got about half as much from cleaning the two as you did..
It makes me wonder about the efficacy of the Deoxit (I have not tried that); is it leaving this stuff behind? Is it possible that this is not actually oxidized material, but dirt/wear/even galling (though I think galling is an unlikely answer)?

vapviking,

JoeMama

Using the blu tac on the interior threads makes sense, but... You're not afraid of some blu tac leave behind?

Well I'd thought about that, but if you "roll" the stuff off, it comes off just fine... and be sure that it's not too "warm" and pliable, just room temp is good, but kneading it makes it SEEM more sticky. Plus, this stuff sticks to itself, so if there is any leave behind, it comes right off.

Nice pictures!
I'm glad to see you like this stuff for thread cleaning, though I'm really surprised at how much gunk you're showing, considering that you have been religious with the Deoxit and regular cleaning every few days (?). From the use pattern you recently described, I think my two hoppers are about on par with yours (generally, for use and I clean with alcohol every couple of days) and I got about half as much from cleaning the two as you did..
It makes me wonder about the efficacy of the Deoxit (I have not tried that); is it leaving this stuff behind? Is it possible that this is not actually oxidized material, but dirt/wear/even galling (though I think galling is an unlikely answer)?

I am also flummoxed by how much was on the threads. I cleaned that hopper not more than 4 days prior with DeToxit, too. I don't think its fair to assume that my metallurgical engineer buddy was off the mark about it being "all oxidation". It may be micro-dust from grinding threads... I just don't know.

It still blows me away that GHL never, not once, mentions this cleaning.

Do the SS units have similar black debris??

Mr. Me2

Well I'd thought about that, but if you "roll" the stuff off, it comes off just fine... and be sure that it's not too "warm" and pliable, just room temp is good, but kneading it makes it SEEM more sticky. Plus, this stuff sticks to itself, so if there is any leave behind, it comes right off.

I am also flummoxed by how much was on the threads. I cleaned that hopper not more than 4 days prior with DeToxit, too. I don't think its fair to assume that my metallurgical engineer buddy was off the mark about it being "all oxidation". It may be micro-dust from grinding threads... I just don't know.

I have a box of some similar stuff called "UHU HOLDiT". The box says its removable plastic adhesive, and states it's non-toxic. It's made by a company called Manco, and it lists their website (Manco.com) and phone number (800-321-0253).

Nothing else on the box describing the stuff. I've used it to secure stuff. Do you think it's basically the same as blu tac?

I'll admit I haven't gone to their website yet...

Ok... I went to their website and got fowarded to another that doesn't carry the line. There is. UHU.com website, but I couldn't find this product. Admittedly, my box is old. I found what is likely the same stuff on Amazon called UHU tac. Seems to be the same, just packaged differently. The company is based in Germany.

Last edited:
Mr. Me2,
Reactions: JoeMama

tubasco

I am also flummoxed by how much was on the threads. I cleaned that hopper not more than 4 days prior with DeToxit said:
I thought someone determined months ago that the black residue is the result of electrical arcing? It seemed to me that the more by backend would get hot the more of this residue I would find.

EDIT: I'm unsure how I "quoted myself" in this response. Sorry if it's confusing. I tried to fix it a dozen times but it is insisting that I quote as pictured, smh

Last edited:
tubasco,

MoltenTiger

I think that was me and was most likely false assumption. I think I was confusing the battery terminal gunk from the back-end grit.

The way Ti forms means it constantly loses layers as it's threaded, so it builds up fine powder in the threads pretty quick. I don't think it offers much extra electrical resistance, though this could easily be measured between the body and button with a multimeter before and after cleaning..

Cleaning threads with blu-tac was lifted from a flashlight forum where the main concern was prolonging the life of the device. Not sure if it would be beneficial for the circuit

-------

Got word on my warranty, 4 days after submitting and a new body is en route

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Joe, pls understand I'm not questioning anyone's voracity or contribution here, I'm just flummoxed and questioning as we all are!

The threads on a "SS" backend do develop the grey matter.
It occurs to me that maybe we should not assume that the male threads on Ti backend are titanium. The clip ring is not, that's clear.
So, I just grabbed a refrigerator magnet and it attracts the clip, ring, temp dial AND male threads on both the SS and the Ti Hopper backends (does not attract the clicker). This is a different ballgame, I believe, and I only took HS Physics. My understanding is that high grade SS is not attracted to a magnet. SS refrigerators don't accept all those cute refrigerator magnets! Yet, what I assumed was SS clip ring and clip is attracted. Btw, the brass colored battery contact is attracted to the magnet also!

At this point I have to disclose that I had two huge teeth pulled about 2 hours ago and I'm using a multi-pronged strategy to relieve the 'discomfort'. This is to say that this magnetism stuff if beginning to confuse the crap outta me but I'm gonna hit 'reply' anyway.

Top Bottom