The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
The fix was with the body.

Can you share more about that?

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with some very knowledgeable vaporists that I respect and say I don't think this is a manual vape. For me, a manual vape is one where the temperature control is completely on the user, like the mflb or the Milaana. With those vapes the end user has to adjust the power and draw speed on the fly to hit and maintain temperature, and there is no indication of what temp that is. The FF2 has temperature control, so all we have to do is draw. Some vapes, like the 7th Floor units, have temps you can set that can be overwhelmed with too strong of a draw. I'm not sure yet if the FF2 is subject to changes in draw speed, as I am getting good results with both fast and slow draws. But the FF2 has some restriction built in, probably limiting our draw speed to the acceptable range for good performance.

For me, the only real variable here for the end user is the herb pack, and that's a variable with every vape on the planet. And we have users here reporting they like the finer grinds, in spite of manufacturer recommendations. I like no grind instead of a coarse one. And this is where expectations come into play. When I vape with a whole nugget, I do not expect any clouds until I crumble it. I also expect almost twice the number of hits since I am more slowly vaporizing the actives.

As to stirring, that is a variable common to all true convection vapes. Some are better than others, but I stir them all. I think the reason the S&B portables don't need stirring is because they have some conduction going on to even out the heat profile. I find the FF2 easy to stir, the way I do it. When I stir, I dump the whole load into my palm, move it around, and dump it back onto the FF2. Then I push it all into the bowl and push down on the top. Voila...no loss and no mess.

The more I use it, and the more I hear of other first time users enjoying it, the more I think bad experiences are due to bad units. I'm finding my unit to be much more forgiving of technique than I'm hearing from some here.

Update is coming soon...don't know when. I've asked for solder msds sheets and am awaiting them.

b0

Cloudy...

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with some very knowledgeable vaporists that I respect and say I don't think this is a manual vape. For me, a manual vape is one where the temperature control is completely on the user, like the mflb or the Milaana. With those vapes the end user has to adjust the power and draw speed on the fly to hit and maintain temperature, and there is no indication of what temp that is. The FF2 has temperature control, so all we have to do is draw. Some vapes, like the 7th Floor units, have temps you can set that can be overwhelmed with too strong of a draw. I'm not sure yet if the FF2 is subject to changes in draw speed, as I am getting good results with both fast and slow draws. But the FF2 has some restriction built in, probably limiting our draw speed to the acceptable range for good performance.

For me, the only real variable here for the end user is the herb pack, and that's a variable with every vape on the planet. And we have users here reporting they like the finer grinds, in spite of manufacturer recommendations. I like no grind instead of a coarse one. And this is where expectations come into play. When I vape with a whole nugget, I do not expect any clouds until I crumble it. I also expect almost twice the number of hits since I am more slowly vaporizing the actives.

As to stirring, that is a variable common to all true convection vapes. Some are better than others, but I stir them all. I think the reason the S&B portables don't need stirring is because they have some conduction going on to even out the heat profile. I find the FF2 easy to stir, the way I do it. When I stir, I dump the whole load into my palm, move it around, and dump it back onto the FF2. Then I push it all into the bowl and push down on the top. Voila...no loss and no mess.

The more I use it, and the more I hear of other first time users enjoying it, the more I think bad experiences are due to bad units. I'm finding my unit to be much more forgiving of technique than I'm hearing from some here.

Update is coming soon...don't know when. I've asked for solder msds sheets and am awaiting them.

I had the same experience with my unit. Even my gf that is new to the vapes world loved my ff2 and was able to have nice clouds at mid temps. The only thing I told her was to draw until she hear the whistle and then just go a bit slower until the whistle isn't as loud. A medium draw is perfect!

To stir I usually just use a toothpick and do a quick stirring every 2 or 3 hits (depending on temp and packing) and I use a regular SCS to grind, this vapes loves fluffy grind with a bit of packing IME.

All this talking about faulty units is getting me worried about my replacement one having any issues, because apart from the battery problem my unit was working totally perfect. Can't wait to receive it next week!

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

I think the one bit I would disagree with, and a main reason why this vape slots into the "manual" group for me, is that I personally do find a lot of variance with draw, nearly identical with other convection vapes like the Nano and the SSV. Just yesterday I hit the edge of combustion from drawing too deeply on a dense pack set to High...I had to adjust what I was doing pretty consciously. IME the 2 gives me a wide variance in vapor quality depending on draw, but also depending on how long I hold the activation buttons. This requires a lot more attention and care on my part than a fully automatic vape like the Mighty....in my experience anyway. (I also think the learning curve has made it a bit tricky for some first-time users in a way you don't see with the Mighty et al.) :2c:

It's a great sign that it reads like an automatic to you, though. That means you don't find it temperamental or too learning curve-ish....which hopefully is encouraging to new users, coming from someone with your vast experience.

Kermitt

It is the processing tolerance or is it not ok? The gap on the left side is larger and it cracks slightly.

img0166tjq74dwb5c.jpg

Kermitt,

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Warning point issued for continued product bashing.
I promise all of you that I do not work for another Vaporizer Company. I really had a terrible experience with my Firefly 2. It did not vaporize the Bowl by any means effectively or evenly. I could not get one satisfying puff. I also cannot believe that once it would stop hitting completely my other Vape would give many Good Hits with the same bud that just came out of the Firefly. Not efficient.

I am very interested in learning more from Elac about the possible defect he found. Perhaps this was my issue, and just shows that the quality control is terrible. This is a $330 device, and there is no excuse. I mean come on people, with all of you calling me a cloud chaser and talking lowly of me because I'm giving you my honest opinion based on my honest experience with the device, you should put yourself inside my shoes and think about how you would have felt if you got a $330 brick.

Icon13,
Reactions: Vigor

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I promise all of you that I do not work for another Vaporizer Company. I really had a terrible experience with my Firefly 2. It did not vaporize the Bowl by any means effectively or evenly. I could not get one satisfying puff. I also cannot believe that once it would stop hitting completely my other Vape would give many Good Hits with the same bud that just came out of the Firefly. Not efficient.

I am very interested in learning more from Elac about the possible defect he found. Perhaps this was my issue, and just shows that the quality control is terrible. This is a $330 device, and there is no excuse. I mean come on people, with all of you calling me a cloud chaser and talking lowly of me because I'm giving you my honest opinion based on my honest experience with the device, you should put yourself inside my shoes and think about how you would have felt if you got a $330 brick.

I just want you to finally tell me what the retailer did to resolve it, and if you still have one.

Reggie Watts

It seems the FF2 is a "love it or hate it" kind of vape. I like it a lot, but I can see why others wouldn't. It's like the No Man's Sky of vaporizers (gamers in the room will understand what I mean) - amazing for what it is, but not for everyone. And I agree that quality control should be better. There are too many little things that can go wrong and nosedive the vape's performance, like a lid with a weak magnet.

Nyfunk420

It is the processing tolerance or is it not ok? The gap on the left side is larger and it cracks slightly.

img0166tjq74dwb5c.jpg
Mine is the exact same. The gap is a little bigger on one side and It creaks a little if you push on the side. If I take off the bottom plate it stops creaking. I think the bottom Plate doesn't tightly fit the body. I can see a small gap even when its snapped in perfectly.

Nyfunk420,
Reactions: Kermitt

Kermitt

Mine is the exact same. The gap is a little bigger on one side and It creaks a little if you push on the side. If I take off the bottom plate it stops creaking. I think the bottom Plate doesn't tightly fit the body. I can see a small gap even when its snapped in perfectly.
Then we have exactly the same device :-)

Kermitt,

Sh4dy15

It seems the FF2 is a "love it or hate it" kind of vape. I like it a lot, but I can see why others wouldn't. It's like the No Man's Sky of vaporizers (gamers in the room will understand what I mean) - amazing for what it is, but not for everyone. And I agree that quality control should be better. There are too many little things that can go wrong and nosedive the vape's performance, like a lid with a weak magnet.

Agree with this but some people were just flat out saying its garbage...not "i dont like it" or "mine must have been defective" or "i have no clue what I am doing, this is too weird to use". I would have no issue with anyone saying any of those things.

By the way, playing that game high is absolutely amazing. By the way if you use reddit check out the nomanshigh sub. Pretty awesome haha

Reggie Watts

Agree with this but some people were just flat out saying its garbage...not "i dont like it" or "mine must have been defective" or "i have no clue what I am doing, this is too weird to use". I would have no issue with anyone saying any of those things.

True, but at the same time, people shouldn't have to guess whether their vape is working correctly or not. If somebody is trying an FF2 for the first time, and they don't like it, of course it could be a defective unit, but how are they to know? Well, I guess posting on this forum is one way.

By the way, playing that game high is absolutely amazing. By the way if you use reddit check out the nomanshigh sub. Pretty awesome haha

YES, the FF2 and NMS are a wonderful combination. I love firing up my futuristic vape while I traverse the universe is my futuristic starship, haha. I shall check out that subreddit, thanks :)

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member

You have made it clear that you do not like the FF2. However we have a rule:
Don’t attack products or companies. You can post your opinion, and you can criticize, but posts written to offend are not allowed.
Please do not revisit an issue unless you have helpful information or constructive comments to add.
Use of the forum to blackmail companies will not be tolerated.
Posts in this regard will be evaluated based on perceived intent.
Please refrain from further negative posts in this thread and do not revisit your issue unless you have something new to add.

:peace:

Stu,

BR Ron

I really love my FF2. I used heavily during the 70's and 80's. I quit In 89 when I got married. I started using casually again around 2005. I am still a casual user, 3 or so sessions a week. I bought a Pax 1 several years ago for my first vape. That thing still hits hard! I used it often until a few weeks ago when I picked up the Firefly2. My experience with it at first were great. Flavor was awesome, and effects were great. Then I began to have a few experiences where it seemed not to work at all. I tried different things, but it was hit and miss. Then I read a post on here where it was suggested to take a long draw, maybe until the device times out. BANG!!! Now my Firefly2 hits hard. I'm never letting this thing go. I really like everything about this vape. Anyone having issues should give it some time and work on technique.

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
I don't in any way think that the QC on malfunctions is terrible. Like anything you buy there's always some that will have manufacturer issues. Usually the company sorts these out in manufacturing with revisions most will never be aware of.
In my opinion" The problem lies where a purchaser receives one of these products doesn't think it's working like described and has nowhere to turn, as the majority have no issues. And most manufacturers don't openly discuss their products problems and revisions. And their frustration builds after being told to try a million different ways, mine works great it must be you. In their eyes the whole situation and product becomes shitty. Nobody wants to send their unit back unless they have to as that just plain sucks and can be in itself an added unpleasant experience.
In general any new product specifically designed for enjoyment shouldn't 'out of the box' be like a pricy girlfriend who if you don't always first please her she won't satisfy you. (just an example no offense to women) That should come only when the product is old and you'll try anything to continue using it.
But sometimes things are what they are and we must deal with it, and like the girlfriend some can do it better than others."
Again that is my opinion not ment to bash.
Personally I have no problem taking apart a malfunctioning product and voiding a warranty to fiddle around especially if it's educational.
But many do.
I couldn't wait the month turn around time and still never know what the issue or fix was, or if they would see the problem as I do and just send it back.

This is the jist of what I did for three units with only excessive draw restriction and frequent red light (overheating) :
Used these to measure every piece of the body together and taken apart I could in the working unit. Then did the same in a unit with issues.
ZXkKJPM.jpg

Compared measurements and with a Dremel in hand (and JB weld nearby) started making ever so slight modifications. Measuring, puting it back together and testing after each. This is a long process you must have lots of patience. This is the bit I used:
CUmtAP5.jpg

It's the green one sold by Dremel, it is not very aggressive as I also use it to etch glass.
Once the unit was functioning acceptably I stopped with adjustments.
All adjustments were made around the chamber area.
**The whole chamber is held in position by the force of the body. So tolerance inside is minimal.
I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you are extremely good with a Dremel and are absolutely sure it's what you want to do.
No shaky hands need apply.
One mistake and it's game over, $330 paperweight. **

You will have to go your own route from here as there is NO guarantee that the exact adjustments needed for your unit will be the same as these 3 needed. I have no way of knowing which adjustments I did were unnecessary. And I will not suggest makeing any exact adjustments to something I haven't physically seen needs it.

One thing all three had in common that the 2 properly working ones I've seen don't is under the battery cover looking at the bowl end you could see excessive force inside, as the middle ring was more pronounced and that part of the body around the right side (if on it's back) screw was slightly lower than the middle. I wish I had taken a pic of it. Once fixed that was gone. Other then that I couldn't see any other differences on the outside.
My unit arrived in mid May the other 2 my friends recieved and the working one used for base measurments was from mid June. Haven't had any hands on time with units manufactured after that for comparison.

My friends sold their repaired units.
I'm hoping to sell my unit before the end of this month to a hippie friend who loves listening to The Dead and get medicated, he has taken a likeing to it and always asks me to bring it over.
And the girl I know who loves her properly functioning from day one unit told me last night in a flash of misplaced panic "I would rather lose my little toe than lose this thing".

MinnBobber

It's two pdf documents that total around 14 pages. What's the best way for me to make these available to you guys?
...........................................................................................................

Summarized, with critical areas highlighted ;)

MinnBobber,
Reactions: Ratklaw

NoCo970

I don't in any way think that the QC on malfunctions is terrible. Like anything you buy there's always some that will have manufacturer issues. Usually the company sorts these out in manufacturing with revisions most will never be aware of.
In my opinion" The problem lies where a purchaser receives one of these products doesn't think it's working like described and has nowhere to turn, as the majority have no issues. And most manufacturers don't openly discuss their products problems and revisions. And their frustration builds after being told to try a million different ways, mine works great it must be you. In their eyes the whole situation and product becomes shitty. Nobody wants to send their unit back unless they have to as that just plain sucks and can be in itself an added unpleasant experience.
In general any new product specifically designed for enjoyment shouldn't 'out of the box' be like a pricy girlfriend who if you don't always first please her she won't satisfy you. (just an example no offense to women) That should come only when the product is old and you'll try anything to continue using it.
But sometimes things are what they are and we must deal with it, and like the girlfriend some can do it better than others."
Personally I have no problem taking apart a malfunctioning product and voiding a warranty to fiddle around especially if it's educational.
But many do.
I couldn't wait the month turn around time and still never know what the issue or fix was, or if they would see the problem as I do and just send it back.

This is the jist of what I did for three units with only excessive draw restriction and frequent red light (overheating) :
Used these to measure every piece of the body together and taken apart I could in the working unit. Then did the same in a unit with issues.
ZXkKJPM.jpg

Compared measurements and with a Dremel in hand (and JB weld nearby)
used for base measurments was from mid June. Haven't had any hands on time with units manufactured after that for comparison.

I'm hoping to sell my unit before the end of this month to a hippie friend who loves listening to The Dead and get medicated, he has taken a likeing to it and always asks me to bring it over.
And the girl I know who loves her properly functioning from day one unit told me last night in a flash of misplaced panic "I would rather lose my little toe than lose this thing".

JB Weld :uhoh:. Yes I know what it is, just not sure why we would use it in a vaporizer to fix it.

NoCo970,

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
JB Weld :uhoh:. Yes I know what it is, just not sure why we would use it in a vaporizer to fix it.
Just a little humor injected there.
Ok gang...I've got spec sheets on the solder ready for you! It's two pdf documents that total around 14 pages. What's the best way for me to make these available to you guys?
Excellent news.
I'll take all 14 pages please.

Elac,

Baron23

But many do.

ZXkKJPM.jpg

Compared measurements and with a Dremel in hand (and JB weld nearby) started making ever so slight modifications. Measuring, puting it back together and testing after each. This is a long process you must have lots of patience. This is the bit I used:
CUmtAP5.jpg

It's the green one sold by Dremel, it is not very aggressive as I also use it to etch glass.
Once the unit was functioning acceptably I stopped with adjustments.
All adjustments were made around the chamber area.
**The whole chamber is held in position by the force of the body. So tolerance inside is minimal.
I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you are extremely good with a Dremel and are absolutely sure it's what you want to do.
No shaky hands need apply.
One mistake and it's game over, $330 paperweight. **

You will have to go your own route from here as there is NO guarantee that the exact adjustments needed for your unit will be the same as these 3 needed. I have no way of knowing which adjustments I did were unnecessary. And I will not suggest makeing any exact adjustments to something I haven't physically seen needs it.

One thing all three had in common that the 2 properly working ones I've seen don't is under the battery cover looking at the bowl end you could see excessive force inside, as the middle ring was more pronounced and that part of the body around the right side (if on it's back) screw was slightly lower than the middle. I wish I had taken a pic of it. Once fixed that was gone. Other then that I couldn't see any other differences on the outside.
My unit arrived in mid May the other 2 my friends recieved and the working one used for base measurments was from mid June. Haven't had any hands on time with units manufactured after that for comparison.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I also wished you had taken pictures LOL

So, basically it was some hand fitting of the mechanical interfaces around the bowl mostly. Cool.

Cheers

Baron23,

STaX420

Got this device earlier this week but I didn't have time to use it until now.

Fist try and I have to say I'm impressed. The vapor is so cool and flavorful. And potent.

I got pretty baked after like 4 draws.

And I managed to get decent clouds (way bigger than with my Iolite) on med high third draw.

Guess I'm lightweight. Now I don't regret not getting the Mighty. I love the on-demand heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom