The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sag

I'm curious to what peoples daily consumption was when smoking compared to now vaping.
I have one out of four friends who has a Firefly2 and is completely satisfied. Her daily consumption was around 1 gram. The rest of us smoked much more. I smoked 3-5 x .8gram joints a day with 3-10 .2 gram bowls mixed in. The higher of the amounts on days off from work. All top quality domestic since the mid 90's. With hash, keif and oil in the mix. With that said I can get 'fully medicated' with a few 10th's of flower. Just not using a Firefly2, I have tried 5 different units. I have also tried other types of vaporizers, commercial and diy that held small amounts just not as small as the Firefly2, been both satisfied and not. I'm not sure if maybe at least for me and 3 of my vaping friends the small amount of .15 just can't deliver high enough doses(with flower) of the medicine per draw, quick enough to reach the level of being medicated thats wanted in a short enough time frame. I expect to start feeling medicated within a few minutes of vaping maybe 3 draws.
So now I use a different vaporizer and consume 1.5 - 2.5 grams a day.
It would be nice to know what satisfied and unsatisfied users push through their units a day, better if compared to what they used to smoke. So people with similar habits have a better understanding.
Also how long does it take you for a session. 2min? Drag until it's dead? 30min? Sipping it like cold ice tea? What point in the session do you start feeling medicated?

For me....I used to smoke a lot. That was back in the Mexican dirt weed days so it would be hard to compare. Now I will take a bag from the volcano or a bowl form the ff2 and I'm done. If it's party time I might have a bowl during cocktail hour and one after dinner. Usually only one bowl after dinner. If I'm with friends that will vary. I don't like to get too wasted on a regular basis. I view it like drinking a couple of glasses of wine for a nice buzz as opposed to drinking a bottle and having to go lay down. I have never weighed what I am vaping. I guess I would be classified as a light weight. I do know people that can smoke me under the table, and do, but that's not me.

sag,
Reactions: Elac

cruiser_bicycle

I wanted to follow up on my previous post about charging the FF2 without a cable.

It turns out you can replace a lost Firefly 2 charging dock for $8 including shipping with an old usb cable and some electrical tape.

The part you need is a 9V Step-Up Voltage Regulator and a usb cable. I used an old iPhone cable.

The part is $4 plus another $4 shipping. It arrived in two days for me.

You cut up an old iPhone cable and connect the red and black wires to the regulator's VIN and VOUT using a bit of extra wire and electrical tape.

Here's a gallery showing it charging from the front and back. It is connected to a normal smartphone charger running at 1A.

http://imgur.com/a/3GBfQ

The biggest trick with it is that the recharge pins on the underside of the firefly are inset and small.

I think the art of perfecting this design will be coming up with an something durable so you can throw it in your backpack with the vape attached and know that it is charging okay.

This would also make it better than the official dock which can slide off in your backpack.

But anyway, if you lost your dock and don't want to pay $30+ for a dock this (which is currently out of stock on the FF website) works now.

I'd appreciate any help in adapting the connection points to the inset pins on the bottom of the vape. I'm thinking a charging sock or elastic band might work.

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
Two of these maybe:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/dg350-screw-terminal-block-2-positions-3-5mm.html
Joined together with the 2 middle pins removed and outer pins shortened might work.
The two outer pins line up fine with the center of the FF2 pins and easy to connect your power leads to it.
CjJhZSW.jpg

Icon13

Serial Vapist
:lol: So the FF2 just doesn't get you medicated enough I guess.
It does me, can't imagine be MORE medicated- and again the cloud talk matters not to me at all. I go strictly by the effects that are delivered. And the Fly delivers that in spades.

Don't spin my words around, dude. This device piece of garbage when it comes to flowers. I don't get medicated at all from it. If you like it, that's great.

And it's all about the clouds, real Vapor Clouds. Not ones caused by combustion, but real Pure Vapor Clouds. The closest thing I can compare it to for anybody is that it's similar to taking a puff off a tobacco hookah. Only it's not tobacco, and the effect gets you high as hell. My friends that use my desktop vaporizer always say at the end, wow that thing gets you ridiculously high. It is ridiculously efficient, amazingly tasty, the clouds are relatively thin Haze but huge (nothing like carbon monoxide) and the end result is a dry tobacco looking substance that crumbles to dust in your hand.

The Firefly 2 did none of that, and that is why it is an epic fail. I just want to say, that it is so refreshing to finally hear other people chime in who absolutely hate this device, and have a frame of reference what a good convection vaping unit should be. Just as a previous person mentioned, I to can take the finished product out of the Firefly 2 and put it in my other vape and get at least half a dozen quality Puffs before the Bowl is out.

When I was in high school my friend had a wooden box vaporizer, and I would take that thing hands down every day of the week over the Firefly "too".

mod note: Please reread the rule concerning product/company bashing and figure out how to get your point across without breaking it. Warning point issued.

Last edited:
Icon13,

Mikipo

:tup::rofl::rofl:
Don't spin my words around, dude. This device piece of garbage when it comes to flowers. I don't get medicated at all from it. If you like it, that's great.

And it's all about the clouds, real Vapor Clouds. Not ones caused by combustion, but real Pure Vapor Clouds. The closest thing I can compare it to for anybody is that it's similar to taking a puff off a tobacco hookah. Only it's not tobacco, and the effect gets you high as hell. My friends that use my desktop vaporizer always say at the end, wow that thing gets you ridiculously high. It is ridiculously efficient, amazingly tasty, the clouds are relatively thin Haze but huge (nothing like carbon monoxide) and the end result is a dry tobacco looking substance that crumbles to dust in your hand.

The Firefly 2 did none of that, and that is why it is an epic fail. I just want to say, that it is so refreshing to finally hear other people chime in who absolutely hate this device, and have a frame of reference what a good convection vaping unit should be. Just as a previous person mentioned, I to can take the finished product out of the Firefly 2 and put it in my other vape and get at least half a dozen quality Puffs before the Bowl is out.

When I was in high school my friend had a wooden box vaporizer, and I would take that thing hands down every day of the week over the Firefly "too".

Yeah, but they keep repeating you that "the device is fine, you are doing smt wrong, we use it, it's great". I bet by tomorrow there'll be 10 more posts about how great this piece of crap is. Kinda like the earth is flat and you don't need the clouds to get high. Dizzy from pulling is not high... it doesn't burn and gives no sour throat, we are just imagining :rofl:oh, and dont get me starte on "you got a deffective unit" and "you work for competition". Dont believe us, buy it by all means :rofl::rofl::rofl:I

Mod note: You've been warned repeatedly to stop the negative posting. Warning point issued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikipo,
Reactions: Icon13

Icon13

Serial Vapist

Yeah, but they keep repeating you that "the device is fine, you are doing smt wrong, we use it, it's great". I bet by tomorrow there'll be 10 more posts about how great this piece of crap is. Kinda like the earth is flat and you don't need the clouds to get high. Dizzy from pulling is not high... it doesn't burn and gives no sour throat, we are just imagining :rofl:oh, and dont get me starte on "you got a deffective unit" and "you work for competition". Dont believe us, buy it by all means :rofl::rofl::rofl:I

Exactly. But, it's great compared to what? Even the people who seem to like it acknowledged that there is clearly a difference between this device and their other vaporizers. I think that they just keep telling themselves that is how a convection vaporizer is supposed to work. You're not supposed to get as big of a hit. But you get a much better flavor. I'll side with them on the flavor part. But as far as Vapor production and an overall medicated effect, this falls far short especially if you already own a quality convection vaporizer. I do and I know what to expect, and that expectation was not met. And no, I'm not going to say it was good for a portable because it wasn't even good for that. As I told Firefly and the vendor I bought it from, I will never take this out of the box in my closet ever again because I'm too embarrassed to show my friends let alone tell them how much I paid for it. I brought it up once to them that I was getting one, and they must have forgot because they never brought it up again. And neither did I.

Icon13,
Reactions: trashbat
This vaporizer is my favorite. The vapor is so cool it is in a class by itself. Cool with no filtration means flavor rivalling any of my vapes. Medicated always clouds not often amazing but if u are a chaser u can make it work well for clouds. Thus i believe many here like me are super happy with device.

toked23

Very happy with mine as well. Hate to hear you guys aren't having luck with it, but, it is what it is. It definitely has some learning curve to it, but for whatever reason I've never had an issue. But, I am a lite weight and can get the goods without even seeing vapor. I can taste it sometimes and that's just fine as well. Curious how many pulls some of you are getting out of one load. I typically get 16-20. Although they are happening at about 2per day. .12grams lasts me 8-10 days typically... I climb the ladder from low to med high...
And I take at least 20sec draws if not the full 30 almost every time...

BabaRobDass

I spun no words of yours, man.

I think I understand why you don't like it. The most important thing to you is the clouds, as evidenced by you capitalizing Vapor Clouds in your post.

And that's cool.

But

You might want to consider that YOU don't like the unit, but that doesn't make it an "epic fail" for others who appreciate it.

Be well.

At first I thought you were cleverly being sarcastic and pro FF2. Then I realized you were as lost as Icon13.

I feel for you dudes, I really do.

I bet you're familiar with pyrolysis- intimately. :rofl::leaf::leaf::leaf::rofl:

Exactly. But, it's great compared to what? Even the people who seem to like it acknowledged that there is clearly a difference between this device and their other vaporizers. I think that they just keep telling themselves that is how a convection vaporizer is supposed to work. You're not supposed to get as big of a hit. But you get a much better flavor. I'll side with them on the flavor part. But as far as Vapor production and an overall medicated effect, this falls far short especially if you already own a quality convection vaporizer. I do and I know what to expect, and that expectation was not met. And no, I'm not going to say it was good for a portable because it wasn't even good for that. As I told Firefly and the vendor I bought it from, I will never take this out of the box in my closet ever again because I'm too embarrassed to show my friends let alone tell them how much I paid for it. I brought it up once to them that I was getting one, and they must have forgot because they never brought it up again. And neither did I.

I bet you're familiar with pyrolysis- intimately. :rofl::leaf::leaf::leaf::rofl:

Mod Note: three posts merged

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur
Hey guys, I've had my device for a few months now so I thought I let you know what I think. When it comes to concentrates, as everybody has mentioned this thing works pretty good. The only downsides are A, you have to change the pad every couple of weeks (~0.8 g of high quality crumble) because it gets dirty and you wont be able to get those fat cough inducing rips. B, at least for me, there is always the fear that some of the melted wax is gonna leak through and get in the heating element. Im very careful about not over filling it but I have seen wax marks on the bottom surface especially around the corners.
When it comes to flower, I use only concentrate setting. You have to hit veeeeerrryyy slowly and stir every couple of hits otherwise you might combust and u know you are combusting when all of a sudden you get that disgusting taste in your mouth along with lots of smoke. But if you follow my instructions, you can get some very nice fat rips, the kind that makes you think your lungs are about to collapse. Those kinds of hits usually do the job for me. I admit that stirring and trying to make sure that all of ur flower is burnt (yes i keep hitting it until my herb is as black as possible) is a huge pain, but completely dismissing it is not really fair. I'm sure once the new app is released and we get to actually control the heat setting I will enjoy this bad boy with flowers even more.

Stoney Baloney,
Reactions: justvapin

Kermitt

I finally get my FF2. Wow, amazig taste, amazing high, amazing clouds. First impression is very good.

I only wonder why the green led isn't blinking while heating. The green led only blinked before my first hit today. Now the FF2 is solid green immediately, if i touch both buttons. Even if I set a higher temperature.

Last edited:

malsanti

I am very conflicted on the Firefly 2. Sometimes it works amazingly well, but someone else earlier mentioned this, some bud just doesn't seem to really vape in FF2 for some reason. Could be the last two times, I did not pack as tightly?

Actually had it with friends out in a hip place, and it woulda been perfect, I got one draw, not even huge, but good, and it was just done pretty much after that.

WHy i am conflicted is, it has also served me incredibly well as being an out and about stealth. Movie theaters. Bathrooms. ANd those times? FUCKING BALLER. When it works it gets you very medicated and not much ordor, and personally i find it stealthy since it just looks like another weird vape all the cool kids are using. And lakc of odor is like youre just hitting a bowl.

I want a crafty and a grasshopper, I think that would be perfect, but goddamnit, I was born handsome(only to Mom, which is all that counts) not rich!

Mod note: edited to remove portion of post that violates forum rules

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

I'm not "telling myself" anything. I get HUGE hits from the FF. HUGE. You say clouds are important to you? I get massive clouds from the FF.

You persist in extrapolating your experience to everyone else. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's garbage. Just because your unit has an issue doesn't make everyone else's unit or experience false, or a lie, or garbage. This "I'm right, this sucks, and everyone else is either a liar or has no frame of reference for comparison" approach to vape analysis is throwing a lot of heat and zero light on the FF2 picture.

I've been vaping for a decade, and a stoner since the Ford administration. I've been using FFs for three years. I like them. I get great, tasty, huge vapor from both models. Sorry they don't work for you, but I'm not an idiot, nor a liar....I'd wager the tens of thousands of users who agree with me aren't either.

Last edited:

malsanti

I have absolutely gotten huge clouds of my FF2, and it has gotten me medicated really well, like vapexhale quality. When its working, its an amazing personal device.

Not too good for friends, because of the long draws it requires I think? I mean my sisters flowermate, was much easier to use for my friends, but might not be a fair comparison due to the bud.

I think maybe, it shouldn't be too coarse, and packed more tightly? Honestly, I'm just more curious as to why it performs so well sometimes, and not as well as other times, was it cuz of the the bud or how I packed it? Or the coarsness.

I am going to experiement a bit more with another strain, and if it perform like it does when its good, I think its a great device to keep. The lower smells, and good effects, are big plusses.

malsanti,
Reactions: Mixio

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@Elac - Are you new to vaping? Are you still smoking? The reason I ask is because if the answer to either of those questions is 'yes', then it's hard to discern how much of your dissatisfaction with the FF2 is with the unit itself versus vaping in general. Thanks in advance...

@Icon13 - I'll ask this question again -- what was the resolution the retailer gave you? Do you still have a FF2? Also, I'm fairly certain I have at least as much experience as you with convection vaporizers, and my FF2 excels at it...so the problem is definitely not the design.

max

Out to lunch
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's garbage.
This is true, and due to multiple reports over the last couple of days, we've been trying to get this across to a few posters. A vape thread here doesn't accumulate 150 pages of posts if the product isn't a good one. It should be obvious though, assuming the thread is being read, that this vape requires an understanding of how it works and some practice.

Attention potential buyers- It's not your 'just turn on and suck' vape. If that's what you're looking for then you need to look at other models.

malsanti

I am testing right now, and I feel it did not work that well before because it was too caurse the grind. A normalish grind, but not packed so tight it has not air.

I legit think people are getting less better results because the grind might be too coarse. I think a normal but definitely full bowl should work well. It is right now.

Still gonna get a crafty or grasshopper though or apha! Just don't know which one of those I should get.

malsanti,

Mr. Me2

I am testing right now, and I feel it did not work that well before because it was too caurse the grind. A normalish grind, but not packed so tight it has not air.

I legit think people are getting less better results because the grind might be too coarse. I think a normal but definitely full bowl should work well. It is right now.

Still gonna get a crafty or grasshopper though or apha! Just don't know which one of those I should get.
I vote for a Crafty AND gh! Both are great and very different.

NoCo970

Tried nugget last night. This seemed to work with less grind worry. Two draws turn nugget upside down. Two more draws. Break up nugget. Multiple draws and even though very dry looking abv i seemed to be getting an effect. So i left it till this morning too c if there was any left. There was a little. Maybe there are some cannibinoids that wait around for high temp.

Food for thought for those who like low temps. I do too, but keep in mind (if your using it for medical purposes) to get the cannabinoids you need to crank up those temps.
Here is a quick look at commonly known cannabinoid vaporization temps.
THCA - 248°F
THC - 311°F (DELTA9)
CBD - 329°F
THC - 347°F (DELTA8)
CBN - 365°F
CBC - 428°F

Firefly2 Temperature stages
  1. 340°F (Low)
  2. 360°F (Medium-Low)
  3. 380°F (Medium)
  4. 400°F (Medium-High)
  5. 420°F (High)
  6. 500°F (Concentrates)
As you can see if your running too low of temps your most likely not going to get some of the cannabinoids you might be looking for. This is why I would still love to see an AutoFlow option added to the app that would allow user to pre-set your temperature range or select a standard range for sessions. This way the device would stay low temp to get all the flavonoids at the start of the session and gradually increase the temperature throughout the session until reaching max temperature and ensuring the user gets all the cannabinoids right to the end.

Elac

Silly rabbit trips are for kids
@stickstones: I'm not new to the vaping practice, I've tried vaping quite a few times during the late eighties early nineties but then imported Mexican was most abundant, so I was not very impressed.
Over the past 4 years though I have vaped much more regularly with commercial and diy units that friends have.
I have smoked for 25+ years (high quality domestic since mid nineties) and still smoke with friends who won't vape because it just doesn't get them medicated. I'm talkin daily blunt smokers.
Now for the last 3 months I vape daily at least six (my vapes chamber holds .25 a gram) times a day high quality stuff. A total of 1.5 - 2.5 grams daily + oil and/or hash on Sunday. I might be consideted a heavy user, but for me it's part of my life as I revere the whole plant and use it for food and utility not just medicine and recreation.
I definitely enjoy vaping over smoking, hands down.
I have tried 5 different FF2 units, one I own, three of them including mine HAD draw restriction and overheating problems.
Before I state my issues with the FF2 I will say this.
In my opinion "
I can agree on these positive acpects of the FF2:
Beautiful exterior design, excellent flavor/taste, cool vapor, effective way to efficiently use oil or other concentates.
That's it though, for me.
My problem with the unit and vaping is with flower. At .15 a gram capacity and the minimun length of time needed, by the device design, to deliver the medicine to the user I along with many (not all) of my friends can't get satisfied.
No problems with my Focus vapes that hold .25 a gram. With that stament I'm just comparing quantities and delivety time.
Now if you want to hear my dissatisfaction with the internals and 'out of the box' software issues I have with the unit and such I could go on. As I do have experience in the fields of electronics and programming.
For those hardware issues it's these words from the back of the box that gets me: "Meticously constructed".
I was so disappointed in what I saw inside.
I know some can say it's the outer shell they are referring to in that sentence, but for myself constructed means the whole, not just a part.
I worked on three different units and quality looked the same inside, not just a one off or 'red marble' thing. "
Again this is my opinion and is not in any way ment to bash neither product or company. This is a representation of my personal experiences and the experience of my friends.

TvsP

Was Volcano user for 5 years.

Moved house needed to be more quick hitter than sesh and went mostly back to bong for last year but didn't enjoy smell or taste/smoke breath, found it to be a quick hard hit but didnt mellow as I liked.

Recently smashed bong by accident so was back to just volcano and looking for quick hit vape which lead me to FF2.

The volcano I usually run quite a big bag at 190c/380f chill a bit then another at 215c/420f then 225c to finish off anything left at which point it is brown and I am done :)

I didn't have that many progressive stages but each bag was strong and cloudy, enough for 3 nice draws.

FF2 delivered today, packed bowl with about 1.5x as much as would use in volcano perhaps just a smaller bowl and started out on low for first draw, not much.

Moved straight up to low medium for second and TBH even that started me off nicely, must say not really visible vapour but effect good.

Chilled a bit.

Moved up to medium which took me further. Still not much of a visual cloud but got me where I wanted to be, around same level as similar temp on volcano, having already got to a nice level previously.

Gradually progressed to high at which point stronger taste but still not cloudy probably similar to volcano on 190/380. Feeling good :)

Thought I'd give it a go at concentrate as others have, this combusted and was rough but strong like volcano at 225 but worse. Not again.

Think I will go to high and then save my leftovers for a now and again volcano at 225.

Vapour was cool enough, the draw is quite hard especially compared to a bag but something I can adjust to.

Doing about 10 seconds of medium pull with a hard finish.

After reading some of the latest comments was weary I'd wasted money but must say pleasantly suprised.

I agree not a lot of visibile vapour but the effect is there so who cares!

It looks cool and discreet apart from the window. Perhaps they can change that at some point though with a stirrer although tapping worked quite well.

Was quite sticky after just that sesh can see the cleaning being a pain but worth it.

See how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom