Discontinued The Extreme Vaporizer Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket J Squirrel

I reckon that different versions of the Extreme have different front panel setups. Mine has three lamps above the LCD display. One for the fan, one for the timer, and one for the heating element. There is also a larger round hole to the right of the display, and that's for the remote control IR detector. The red heating element lamp lights when power is applied to the heater. I can see how some might find the flickering of the red lamp distracting when the controller is cycling the power to the element to maintain the set temperature. To me it makes sense to have that lamp do what it does -- that's how I'd set it up, too. But then I'm an electrical engineering geek and having a visual indication of when power is being applied to the element is interesting. But not everyone cares about such things, so a simpler "idiot lamp" approach, where a lamp indicates "not ready/ready," could be good too. It buffers the user a layer farther away from the actual operation of the device, but it's not as geeky. Designing the human interface is an art in itself. Trick is deciding what kind of human to design for: those interested in the workings of the thing, and those who don't care.

Rocket J Squirrel,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
yeah but on the display you have two numbers, where you set it at, and what the temp is. Which is telling you the same thing as the red light, but using more info. So I see the red light as redundant... just another thing too look at really.
I think the RED Led should be hooked up too a timer, turn off after a certain time after it reaches desired temp letting you know it is ready too vape. Let if have a different function that is already been provided by the temp read out. You don't need two things telling you it is warming up.
so would be nice if the red light stayed on a minute or so after reaching desired temp.. and it turns off letting you know that the unit is ready too be used.
which is kind of what it does... but anything after this point too me is not needed. I don't need a light telling me the extreme is doing its thing too maintain heat. For me I would notice something is wrong if I see the temp readout begin too fall.

DevoTheStrange,

Rocket J Squirrel

The set temp on the LCD is pretty small, small enough that I need to put on my reading glasses to read it. I'm just saying that strapping the lamp across the heating element so it display the cycling of heating power is geekily interesting. My gas oven has the same arrangement -- a red lamp that lights when the burner is lit. It goes out when the oven has reached temp, but when the burner has to light again to maintain temperature, the lamp goes back on. However, it's a much slower process so it doesn't flicker like the Extreme's heating element lamp. Sorry you find it distracting, I don't. Maybe those who would prefer a ready/not ready lamp can convince Steve at Arizer to make a change. :peace:

Rocket J Squirrel,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I don't find it that distracting... I just don't see the point of having it. For me at least, wouldn't you know the thing is up too temp by the temp readout... if you set it at 205 and it reads 180, you know its not ready.
and granted the set temp number is tiny..... but I never read that number... I just look at temp readout, if it is not moving it will show me what temp I have it set at. If it is working correctly the temp should only fluctuate a degree or so around the dialed in temp. At that point all you have too do is move the temp up and down as needed, something that does not require any input from the Red Light.
it is distracting in that I don't see the point in having it. The other two LEDS make sense too me. The little red light would make sense too me if this unit was analog, and didn't have a digital display.

DevoTheStrange,

wthanna

The red light has been kind of the "standard" for some years for when the heating element is on.. at least with ovens.. other cooking devices, etc. I am pretty confident that if all of us went and turned our ovens on right now and reported back, 90% or more would say their oven (electric) does the exact same thing.

wthanna,

Rocket J Squirrel

I can't believe that we're talking about such a trivial little detail. The oven light analogy is kinda a good one, but it doesn't flicker brightly and so noticeably. I like it for the aforementioned geek appeal, and it catches my eye when I walk into the room, so I know that the unit is on and is at temp without me needing to walk across the room to see what's happening. But those who find it redundant or distracting have a point, too.

Rocket J Squirrel,

MagicMists

Thanks for all the responses!

I'll weigh in a little more. I can understand the engineering types enjoying the flickering light but I would guess the majority of us don't fall into that category. For most of us I think the flickering light just draws attention to the unit. That might be an issue for some. For me it's that I use it mostly at night and the flickering red light is counter to the relaxation I am using the unit to assist with. Yeah, I know this is a tiny issue and pretty much a non-issue during daylight hours. Cover the light or turn it away from you. I'm coming from the place that this is one of the best designed products of any type that I've purchased in recent years and the only thing keeping me from feeling like they nailed it 100% is this flickering red light. Again, not really a big deal but I would like to see them change the design.

I believe in my final reply to the Arizer people I suggested that if it were my design I would have the light flicker until it reached the requested temperature. Then it would either turn off (my preference) or it would stay on w/out flickering. Then I would have it flicker if the temperature shifted by more than 3 or 4 degrees. That would happen if I changed the temp setting by +/- 5 degrees but if it were flickering and I hadn't changed the temp I would have an indicator that there was something potentially wrong with my unit - another feature they could advertise.

MagicMists,

the electrician

now i like talking about leds as much as the next man, but i also like talking about how to get the most out of my vaporizer. after i took a look at the heater for more than a second i saw that the heat is concentrated most in a small cylinder right the in center, the air doesnt go around the element it goes through it. my suggestion is again to use a bowl as narrow as possible.

im using a 18 to 14mm adpater and packing a bowl into the end of the male joint (14.5mm) closest to the center. With this set up the weed is held in a small cup directly in the line of fire. give it a whirl if you dare

Dont forget the variable heat either, you can use it at a low temperature (170 C for me) to get some daytime activity head high and barely brown the weed at all. Slowly move up to about 205 in whatever increments you see fit, 10 C is the usual i guess. When then clouds are starting to get smaller, which is generally after 3 pretty huge lung fulls turn up the temperature by however much.

Combine the two, add a bong and you are sorted. Or just rig up some tubing or whatever and that will also work very well.

if youre bothered by the lights have you tried just turning the bastard around so you cant see them any more?

the electrician,

Rocket J Squirrel

the electrician said:
now i like talking about leds as much as the next man, but i also like talking about how to get the most out of my vaporizer. ...
Aw c'mon -- we can beat this nag for at least a few more days!!! :p

Rocket J Squirrel,

Rocket J Squirrel

the electrician said:
...im using a 18 to 14mm adpater and packing a bowl into the end of the male joint (14.5mm) closest to the center. With this set up the weed is held in a small cup directly in the line of fire. give it a whirl if you dare...
I'm not impressed with the cyclone bowl thing -- the hot air looks to be going up the center of the chamber while the vegetative material often gets stuck to the side of it. Does not look like even heating to me. Packing the little elbow screen seems to work really well. Your method -- how do you think it stacks up compared to the elbow screen method. You got a picture of that setup?

Rocket J Squirrel,

the electrician

comparisona.jpg

along those lines i suppose, im stoned as fuck and forgot what i was supposed to be comparing to. same thick clouds as you will experience packing the elbow using potentially less material.

the electrician,

daffysci

Hey everyone, I've been reading around here for about a month and finally decided to make an account.

Anyway, i got my Extreme about a week ago..(sadly just before they released the Q.. just my luck)

But here's my question, Are there any videos or sites that show how i can assemble the bags? I've tried to assemble my extra one and all I've managed to do was fail.

I tried the link on the first page but its dead its a dead url

daffysci,

bigchucka

Aw, come on. I know the truth. That's not a red LED. That's a laser site cuz the Extreme's huntin' for motherfuckers so it can stone them.

BTW Rocket J Squirrel climbing in the bag and closing the entrance.... did you see that on 1000 Ways To Die? Boy, they got some dumbasses on there....

bigchucka,

Rocket J Squirrel

bigchucka: No I didn't see that. Musta been asleep at the back of the room. :/

electrician: How are you mounting that 14mm male onto the vape? Just pressing it onto it or something?

Rocket J Squirrel,

MonarchX

This thing is so good that I broke it and it works! The Cyclone Bowl got stuck on the heating element and I twisted it. So, the glass heating element broke and I can detach it, but I still can't detach the Cycle Bowl. The odd thing is that this broken thing works just fine. I even removed the glass heating element and put it back - still works!

MonarchX,

Rocket J Squirrel

All: What's a good alternative "tip" for this unit? By "tip" I mean the end piece that you draw on -- I'm sure there is a real name for that part. Anyway, Arizer provided a nice glass one, but my Extreme is on a tile counter top, and I know if I am not careful about setting it down, or drop it, it will break. I'd like to find something a little less fragile. The tubing is 1/4'' i.d. Recommendations?

As MonarchX shows us, the glass bits can break. It's in the nature of glass to break.

Rocket J Squirrel,

Mark

John Brown
Anyone know a good website to get some 18mm carbon filter holders other than the one mentioned earlyer? Everyonedoesit overcharges like a bitch.
Also, the word you are looking for is Mouthpiece. :lol:

Mark,

Konrad_Zuse

Just a question for everyone what temp do you start at usually, and do you put higher temps for less, or the same temp for every amount you put in? What's the highest temp you goto?

For me I put a higher temp for less, and I go all the way to 260, what does everyone else do? Thoughts, ideas?

Konrad_Zuse,

Rocket J Squirrel

I use the latest version of the Extreme (not familiar with the evolution of this vape, I'm just mentioning this in case it matters).

I use the elbow-pack method which puts the herb a bit further from the heating element, though I don't know if that makes much difference in terms of how hot the air is from the element. I don't use the fan. So what I do with a new load is to start at 200 or 205C, which results in visible vapor, dominated by THC, most likely. When the herb no longer puts out as much vapor from the load, I increase the temp by 5C and get more. I do this until I get to about 220C. At this point I dunno what-all is boiling off the herb but the high is less energetic and more stoned. Depending on what I'm looking for I might go for that, or dump the now-brown herb into the duff container and re-load the vape.

Rocket J Squirrel,

Konrad_Zuse

I have the V3 I'm guessing since I just got it.

Yeah I start to feel a bit more stoned as I get later hits. I wasn't sure at first if it was the time lapsed or if it was the temp. I also forgot to mention that I go up by 10c each time, and I usually always get vapor. I think that it's a bit much though. ALso I would take 5 hits, repack, and go up 10c. On the extreme wiki it says 3 hits and then stir, Idk when they go up though. I should prob experiment around, but I know last time I went up by 5c it took awhile so Idk.

Also how much do you guys put in? I find I don't put more than .2 into my vape at a time, but I'm curious if it really is .2 or not, because I don't know, I just put a decent amount in, then just vape it, but it's not much. Maybe if I put more in I would be a lot more stoned?

Thoughts?

Konrad_Zuse,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom