• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Vape_ninja

Hi again Arizer desktop vape enjoyers!

Do you think the shorter cyclone bowl is worth it for someone who elbow packs, uses whip and starts at low temperature and creeps up throughout the day/evening to 225c ?

Vape_ninja,
Reactions: BigJr48

Pukka

From what I've read and seen pictures of, the overall height of the new cyclone bowl is the same as the old cyclone bowl. The difference is the new intergrated glass screen that's placed off center (in to out). So, you don't really "need" the new bowl, but I bet that you, like me, really "want" one 🙃

Pukka,

Vape_ninja

From what I've read and seen pictures of, the overall height of the new cyclone bowl is the same as the old cyclone bowl. The difference is the new intergrated glass screen that's placed off center (in to out). So, you don't really "need" the new bowl, but I bet that you, like me, really "want" one 🙃
na this is a custom part i saw its not standard

average_joe

Do you think the shorter cyclone bowl is worth it for someone who elbow packs, uses whip and starts at low temperature and creeps up throughout the day/evening to 225c ?
Do you feel like you would like the avb to look darker? I think the only improvement you will see when switching from the stock bowl to the shorter one (when used only to elbow pack) will be that you can reach higher temps and heat up time reduces a bit from my experience.

average_joe,

Vape_ninja

Do you feel like you would like the avb to look darker? I think the only improvement you will see when switching from the stock bowl to the shorter one (when used only to elbow pack) will be that you can reach higher temps and heat up time reduces a bit from my experience.

that could be useful the shorter heatup time, because ever since i got my mighty i can be a bit impatient

Vape_ninja,
  • Haha

El Rawn Hubbard

I think I posted about this some time ago but I've been using this log-style again recently. I really like that you can remove a screen from the air-path by having the heater above the load.

My setup has been: FC-UFO, M2M adapter with bucket screen as the bowl and a GRAV 19mm F2F adapter to connect the EQ to the bowl.

The GRAV adapter gets heat-soaked nicely and lets you take a long hit at low temp without overwhelming the heater.

3l3tric

The GRAV adapter gets heat-soaked nicely and lets you take a long hit at low temp without overwhelming the heater.
You've hit on the question I've been trying to answer with the ExQ virtually since I bought it: "How do I best use this thing?" Pretty much until the day I bought a second vaporizer to compare it with, I always suspected I was doing something catastrophically wrong and ruining my herbs in the thing, but now I really suspect it's just how smooth the vapor from the unit is that can make it feel almost like it's underextracting.

Overwhelming the heater is always the biggest fear, though, right? Especially after you've seen the heater in person, unsheathed. It's easy to get paranoid and expect that, as with other situations, the 3 inches of the ceramic heating rod just isn't gonna cut it. But I think the unit's temp controlling actually does a decent job of keeping up with the thermal loss from a draw, especially on more mild airflows. I've noticed over time that the unit won't actually tell you during a hit if it's cooling substantially, unless you change the temp by a degree or two, so I've gotten in the habit of quickly doing a press up then down during a hit to verify the temp is stable.

Long heat soaks are a definite necessity though, as is turning off the unit every now and again. My standard procedure is to turn the unit on when I wake up and wait at least 15-20 minutes before use. I tend to keep the temp set at 372, although with the 14mm ddave bowl I think the avb color suggests the in-bowl temp lies somewhere around 390. After loading, I wait between 30 and 90 seconds before my first draws, and I normally only load 1/16-1/8tbsp at a time. With 1/16tbsp I end up getting at least 3-4 good hits of decent visible vapor, with another 5-6 of faint vapor visible with a flashlight. I just load directly into the bowl, since with the flat screens I detailed in a post on the previous page the herb stays closer to the heater than it would with an elbow pack (and the flat screens take way longer to clog than baskets anyway).

One last mod that I'm still up in the air about is the foil bowl mod. I've wrapped a few layers of heavy duty aluminum foil around the lower segment and midsection of the bowl, in an attempt to add more thermal mass which would (hopefully) keep more heat inside the bowl and allow the load to heat up faster. If it does make a difference, it's extremely slight, and I can't help but wonder if somehow the extra heat it allows the bowl to retain somehow messes with the thermal sensor in the heater. Either way, I've left it on for now, and IMO it does seem like bowls produce vapor for at least a bit longer than they did before.

Incredible unit for the price. While I'm sure as my collection grows it'll get less and less use due to convenience and speed of extraction, I'm still glad this was my first "real" unit, and if nothing else I'm honestly shocked it's lasted 2 years without breaking a sweat (even when left on for days at a time!)

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
This thing is amazing. Got the EQ/Solo bundle in today. The EQ works as good as any plug in convection vape I've ever tried. Extremely even heating using the big bowl packed mostly full. All I have is some garbage CBD bud and D8 distillate to try in it right now but I can tell the vapor from good bud is gong to be amazing. Very impressed, will definitely be recommending this thing to anybody I know looking to get in to vapes. Doesn't take nearly as long to reach working temp as a lot of reviews I read/watched made it sound like it would. From room temp to blowing clouds in just a couple minutes of warming up.

3l3tric

This thing is amazing. Got the EQ/Solo bundle in today. The EQ works as good as any plug in convection vape I've ever tried. Extremely even heating using the big bowl packed mostly full. All I have is some garbage CBD bud and D8 distillate to try in it right now but I can tell the vapor from good bud is gong to be amazing. Very impressed, will definitely be recommending this thing to anybody I know looking to get in to vapes. Doesn't take nearly as long to reach working temp as a lot of reviews I read/watched made it sound like it would. From room temp to blowing clouds in just a couple minutes of warming up.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I assume you're still using the stock bowl, which partially explains a bit of the differences between your experience and what you've heard. Usually people encouraging long preheats are using modded parts like the ddave where the herb sits closer to the ceramic heating element and the heat radiating from a heat-soaked bowl actually contributes to the vaporization. With the stock bowl (AFAIK) even with a long preheat, the heat that the herb sees from the bowl itself is pretty negligible. As often as I question why arizer put the load so far away from the heater in their stock design, it does manage to (mostly) ensure that your herb will be exclusively heating through convection, at the cost of speedy/thick extractions.

A couple tricks to keep in mind that could potentially elevate your experience with this unit even further (Especially if you go down the rabbit hole of modded bowls/wands):

1) When cold starting the unit, remove the wand and run the fan on setting 1 or 2 throughout the first couple minutes of heating. The added airflow from the fan helps things like the heater cover and bowl heat up more quickly since the heat is able to be distributed by the air, rather than just stagnating around the ceramic heating element. Turn the fan off and reinsert the wand after the unit reads at the target temp for some time (2-3 minutes).

2) Cap your basket screens. If you have some flat pipe screens lying around, you can cut them to fit into the metal lip around the basket screens, which prevents herb from getting sucked up into the screens and further away from the heating element. The flat screen this turns the basket into is also a lot easier to scrape off between bowls. Take care when cutting the screen though, you'll want as close to a perfect circle as you can manage. It helps to draw a circle on paper with the right diameter then cut the screen on the paper.

3) Raise the temp before using. Between bowls, raise the temp about 10-15 deg (F), lowering it as you load the next bowl. The ExQ's heating element is a bit lacking in thermal potential (how much heat it can provide to the bowl before being "overwhelmed" and not fully recovering in temperature before the next hit), and so starting a bowl with a bit of extra heat can help this issue a bit. This also leads into my next point:

4) Temp cycling. The ExQ has a weird (and slightly annoying) feature where it "masks" the current temperature on the display. If you take a few hits in a row off the unit, then press either temp adjust key about 5-6+ seconds into your next hit, you'll notice the reported temp takes a nosedive, potentially down as much as 20 degrees. You can mitigate this, however, by just pressing the up button then the down button (or vice versa) every few seconds during and after hits once you've taken a few in a row. This doesn't seem to make a drastic difference in vapor production, but at the very least this will ensure there's more heat in the bowl generally.

A couple of these tips might seem pretty odd, so it's important to understand the main shortcoming with this unit so that these become more clear: the temperature sensor.

While the temperature sensor itself isn't problematic, it's position is. Because the temp sensor is embedded in the ceramic heater, it responds only to changes in the heater temperature. This may not sound problematic at first, but remember that it's not just the heater itself that's causing the vaporization, but rather the combination of the heater and the residual heat from the glass airpath.

To give a practical example, say you forgot your mittens on a cold winter day, so you have to use a hand warmer. Once you activate the hand warmer, it heats up pretty quickly, but you have to hold it in your hands for a few minutes before your hands actually warm up. In this analogy, the hand warmer is the ceramic heater, while your hands are the glass airpath. The hand warmer heats almost instantly, and if you were reading the temps from within the hand warmer, it would be "at temp" almost instantly. But ofc, we know it still takes some time for the warmer to actually heat up your hands (takes time for the ceramic heater to heat up the glass around it).

Let's say that, somehow, you then need to use both the hand warmer and your hands to heat up something (and let's assume that somehow 50% of the heat is coming off your hands): Once you start heating that thing, your hands will drop in temperature significantly, since there's nothing directly heating them back up (disregarding body heat for now). The hand warmer can't even start warming your hands back up, since its heat is also being drawn away by something else. Finally, if you monitored the temp of both the warmer and the hands during this interaction, the warmer would only slightly drop in temperature as it warms the other object, but the hands would drop significantly in temp. The same thing occurs during a draw with the ExQ: At first, both the ceramic heating element AND the glass airpath are adding heat into the bowl, but only the ceramic is actively heated. As the draw continues, both the ceramic and glass begin to see a temperature drop. Since the ceramic is monitored with the thermometer, the heating element will activate once the thermometer sees this drop and the ceramic will be (mostly) held at a consistent temperature. However, the glass airpath is exclusively heated passively by the heating element, and during a draw most/all of the heat from the ceramic element is going into the bowl rather than radiating into the airway. Thus, with each successive hit, the glass airway is able to provide less and less heat to the bowl, resulting in lower bowl temps with successive hits, until eventually all of the heat the bowl sees is coming from the ceramic element.

Now, this isn't some kind of glaring technical flaw. In fact, it's mainly mods that get affected, as the modded bowls get a lot more benefit from the extra heat from preheated glass than the stock setup would. The big things that get negatively affected by the unit behaving this way are microdosing, chain hitting, and low-temping. If you're using the unit at moderate/high temps, with big loads, and taking decent pauses between hits, more than likely the unit will play nicely without keeping a lot of this other stuff in mind. Microdosing is mainly an issue since the stock design of this vape works best when the load (in this case, the bud in the bowl) is large enough to retain a bit of heat between hits, chain hitting is problematic for the obvious heat-soaking reasons above, and low-temping isn't ideal both from the unit having a bit of delay in heating the load to "full" vaping temps and from being unable to chain hits without dropping the temperature. The tricks that I detailed above help with one or all of these use cases and aren't really necessary unless you fall into one of those groups.

Jeez, I ended up typing a novel without realizing :lol: It sounds like you'll definitely enjoy this unit though. It's incredibly versatile, especially for the price point, and with a bit of tweaking and understanding how the unit works you can adapt it to all kinds of use cases. If you ever start looking into microdosing or just get curious about modding, definitely look into the ddave mods (or now I guess even the connoisseur bowl from arizer). While my dissertation above makes it sound like you have to have a PhD in Thermodynamics to use any modded parts without throwing the heater core down to -17000K, I assure you the learning curve isn't anywhere near as steep (Honestly, for the first year or so I had the modded parts, I did none of the above and still got satisfactory results).

TL;DR Damn good vape, and if you understand its problems you can work around them for awesome results. Advice like long preheats and adjusted temps before/during sessions is mainly for people using mods, since they can be more fickle generally. Due to the heater's shortcomings, microdosers/chainhitters/low-tempers will need to get their hands dirty for decent results, but it's certainly possible.

Last edited:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
I can't believe how good the bag mode works. It may not be as fancy as a volcano but it's honestly easier to use and IMO works even better because you can push the material further. Not having a way to cap the bag doesn't bother me personally because a full bag is only ~2 lung fulls anyway, but I could see how that would be annoying for people that take smaller hits and want to sit the bag down for a while.

Cheesequake,
Reactions: Floydian

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I can't believe how good the bag mode works. It may not be as fancy as a volcano but it's honestly easier to use and IMO works even better because you can push the material further. Not having a way to cap the bag doesn't bother me personally because a full bag is only ~2 lung fulls anyway, but I could see how that would be annoying for people that take smaller hits and want to sit the bag down for a while.

BALLON CAP PACK:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Wow. Elbow pack with a fully heat soaked unit is absolutely insane. Packed a bowl of some extremely sticky awesome flower, let the EQ heat up for ~15 minutes on 230c, nearly fully extracted the whole bowl in one huge rip and got absolutely toasted. I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase but I think I'll keep this thing around for a long time. Also packed a full cyclone bowl with my buddy last night and it got us both higher than we've been in a long time. I woke up not remembering when I went to sleep or what I did before.

DogBoy

know fear
....this was my first vape...Brother Vinnie bought it for me...

...now BV doesn't vape anymore and I have many vapes...three Vapbongs even...

...I sent him a Dynavap, an E Nano, a Ditanuim, and lastly a OAB...

...but it all started with the EQ...methinks he still has that...but now he smokes...so sad...

...it is good to the the EQ is still going strong when so many others have come and gone...

DogBoy,

Dwaing

I'm in the same boat. MY ddave mod is on its way from what i hear its good for elbow packers since it get the herb closer to the element so you can get down lower in the temp ranges and really crank it when you want.

Dwaing,

happynomoretobacco

Why i got perfect results with my settings with bag but with whip it doesn't works well?
I have an like dd bowl and do very small amount maybe 0,03
Thx

happynomoretobacco,

BuzzDanklin

Why i got perfect results with my settings with bag but with whip it doesn't works well?
I have an like dd bowl and do very small amount maybe 0,03
Thx

You might be getting a slower and more consistent speed when the bags are filling up with the fan versus when you are drawing with lung power using the whip. Try to keep a consistent and similar speed to how it fills the bag and see if that helps at all.

For anyone who is curious about the differences to the new model or if its worth considering an upgrade I finished up my XQ2 vs EQ comparison the biggest changes are going to be sealed vapor path, option intake air filter, improved bowl (better than old bowl, still probably not quite as good as DDave) improved bag system (Easier to make bags, connects to glass, and the new silicone cap is great) and cosmetic changes.

Arizer-XQ2-vs-Extreme-Q-Desktop-Vaporizer-Comparison.jpg

Arizer-Connoisseur-Bowl-vs-Cyclone-Bowl.jpg

Arizer-XQ2-vs-Extreme-Q-Balloon-System-Update.jpg

Dj Bass

Hey y'all!
Got an EQ in the big Christmas EQ+Solo bundle sale, and I'm loving it! Quite the learning curve trying to figure out screen placement, glass type, herb placement, temp, and fan speed. A lot to learn! I enjoyed the Ddave glass quite a bit, but it shattered in the middle one day while removing from the base and I thought I had to get a thicker solution. Found this GRAV labs 18mmF to 18mmF adapter that is completely unobstructed in the center and has just tiiiiiniest ledge at the end of the joint for a screen to sit on (no screen is provided). The build quality of this thing is MUCH higher than the Ddave bowl, and the price is better too! To my surprise it kind of works even better than the Ddave after getting heat soaked! It does take longer to heat soak than the Ddave bowl and the default bowl, but only about another 3-5mins. It has much more thermal mass. I have been able to achieve complete extraction from an elbow pack in one bag at 200c at fan speed 3. I thought I would share this discovery with my FC crew because y'all are always putting me on to new vape mods to make my already great devices even better! Here's a link to the adapter at a place with free US shipping. Stay lifted!

flyingturtle

Hi all...
I'm getting one of the new XG2 style balloon connectors and I was thinking of getting a miniwhip too, but I'm not sure if I should get the kind with the glass screen or the kind that uses the metal dome screens I'm use to. It would be nice to not deal with those dome screens, the cleaning and having them fall into the bowl... but on the other hand I worry that the holes on the glass screen are a little big and will result in flower dust in my bags (I use a grinder). Opinions?

flyingturtle,

Dj Bass

Hi all...
I'm getting one of the new XG2 style balloon connectors and I was thinking of getting a miniwhip too, but I'm not sure if I should get the kind with the glass screen or the kind that uses the metal dome screens I'm use to. It would be nice to not deal with those dome screens, the cleaning and having them fall into the bowl... but on the other hand I worry that the holes on the glass screen are a little big and will result in flower dust in my bags (I use a grinder). Opinions?
I have both balloon screens and I prefer the basket screen one over the glass screen. Like you said the holes are too big, and it actually has less airflow than a clean dome screen imo.

Earthtuner

We can now buy fake DDave bowls on Alliexpress, for a fraction of daves price, for those that are interested. Especially for Canadians that get ripped of on DDaves high shipping rates.

RustyOldNail

We can now buy fake DDave bowls on Alliexpress, for a fraction of daves price, for those that are interested. Especially for Canadians that get ripped of on DDaves high shipping rates.

I can’t speak for his out of country shipping rates, but I’ll continue to support him. There are few, if any other small vendors offering small, but substantial “mods”, for non mainstream devices, and he is a contributing member here.
:(

Earthtuner

35 dollars to ship, a little piece of glass, sends me to Alliexpress , as they are much nicer to Canadians. China even buys our Oil from us, unlike the USA.

Earthtuner,

RustyOldNail

35 dollars to ship, a little piece of glass, sends me to Alliexpress , as they are much nicer to Canadians. China even buys our Oil from us, unlike the USA.

My orders were never one item, but I understand. And the next time I need Oil ........ :)

RustyOldNail,

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I need a tooth extracted. That means no pressure differentials in the mouth. That means mouth open, whip through the nose, normal breathing while the unit vapes for me :lol:. It's either this or the volcano--I think it's finally time for me to try the Extreme. Just some concerns:
1. When I'm no longer running this through my nose, I would like big hits. Please tell me how I'd get the biggest hits.
2. Share your experiences with the ddave mod.

I'm really excited to use this big boy :spliff:

VapePerson,

Herbal Ant

You could always ask them to stitch the extraction site just for added safety or try edibles for a few days. If you are going to use this, definitely let the fan help you.
Most important thing with this vape is making sure it's warmed up. Turn it on about 5 or 10 minutes in advance and maybe put the fan on the lowest speed for less then a minute after the initial warm up right before your going to use it. Also, the bigger hits will come with a higher temperature and a fine ground material for optimal surface area. Unfortunately I never obtained a ddave mod, so I can't comment on that. Happy trails and good luck on your extraction.

Herbal Ant,
Top Bottom