The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Just tried out my new Tuff Bowl and wanted to wax poetic :love:

when I was researching the V-Tower I kept on running across folks complaining about the Cyclone Bowl breaking when they dropped it, and I kept thinking "Why the hell are ya throwing your bowl on the floor ya stoner"?

well after singing my thumb print off on the bowl I figured it out :o

so I swore, swept up the pieces, and ordered a Tuff Bowl, and I'm impressed, from the pics I thought it was just a normal bowl with a bit of clear shrink tube on it, much to my surprise it has a soft silicone sleeve that not only protects from breakage, but from burnage as well :tup: best part is, if you do manage to break your bowl, the sleeve could be slipped over a regular Cyclone Bowl bowl quite easily.

the only real downside is that you pretty much have to look inside to see which end is the top, especially when under the influence :spliff:

I give it 10 outta ten and well worth the extra few bucks, in fact, even if I had a good Cyclone Bowl I'd buy one of these and switch the sleeve so I'd still have the black band at the top of the bowl.

now I just have to wonder why a company that came up with such a great Idea sells a device designed for the purpose of getting ripped and forgot to provide a clip for the breakable and ultra losable glass poker, I'm considering drilling a hole in the plastic base to keep the damn thing in.

BalzOut

Just a heads-up: the heater end of the silicone cover will eventually become brittle and start to break up. I also managed to break a Tuff Bowl, but the details escape me at the moment. I think I posted about it in this thread.

pakalolo,

TOWELIE 420

Hey guys, its been a while since I used my EQ...

I'm giving it to my friend for a couple of days and I forgot one thing about the proper elbow packing method.

When I used it, I powered up the EQ for 15mintues before usage, what I don't remember is if I connected the elbow to the cyclobowl in the beginning or just after 15 minutes of heating up...

How do you do it guys?
When i elbow pack, I just turn on my vape and let it heat for a minimum of 6 mins or so and then I just throw my bud in the elbow and start rippin. You don't have to pre warm everything,the most important thing to have on the vape while its heating up is the pysclone bowl in my opinion. Of course the first hit may be a bit lighter, but you get those sexy, tasty ass terpenes baby!!!

Nesta

m0sh, what the hell you doing over here, lose your way from Eagle land? ;)

Oh, right, the elbow-pack . . . load and set it in the bowl at the start. Not that much heat rises from the Q, and the pack is snug. If you wait, the screen and elbow are cold; then extraction takes more work and makes it easier for the hot spot to form.
What is the 'hot spot'? Is it a bad thing?

Nesta,

JJSeattle

24046439-769a-42e4-bbf6-181f61abf301_zpsade46286.jpg

d5ee8757-fd8d-415e-9a32-96d12fb89f32_zpsaf5a01d4.jpg

So here is my set up that took 5 min to put together. Please excuse the well loved bong.:spliff: There is glass bowl with a stem that goes into the bong, I took the ring gasket off of that and put it on the EQ (shown in close up pic) mouthpiece and I'm in business!

Now that this is about the only way I bake, I will probably switch out the whip to my silicone one. When I lift up the mouthpiece, it acts as a carburetor and also clears the elbow and whip due to the suction.

I have found if I keep a piece of paper towel near by and gently blow out/clean the elbow screen, roll it up a bit and also clean the elbow and bowl, the pieces stay clean for a long time before I need to do a deep cleaning. I use this set up about 3-4 times a day and the pieces have stayed pretty clean for a few weeks now. Or maybe the hash was gunking it up? :tup:

I could probably do something more "official" but it works great for now.

I saw something about water level somewhere here in passing but I'm not sure what that should be or if it would make any difference. Again, thanks to everyone sharing the info here, so helpful. I never would have figured all this out on my own.

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
. . . I saw something about water level somewhere here in passing but I'm not sure what that should be or if it would make any difference.

The water level relative to the point the vapor enters the water affects how much water contact there is and therefore how much moisturization and cooling. With your setup, you will get a smaller number of large bubbles because there is no diffusion, resulting in less water effects. Large bubbles also mean more chug and drag (speaking of which, a shorter whip will reduce the drag).

FWIW . . . After I got my Q I rigged something similar to yours except using a beer bottle (IIRC a pic is early in this thread). You can cut a short length of the stock tubing and using an awl or ice pick or nail work small holes into the tubing about 1/8" apart; maybe a dozen or so. Attach other end of tubing to your glass piece. You will have made a down-stem diffuser for much better action thru the water. Just a thought.

oldiebutgoodie,

JJSeattle

The water level relative to the point the vapor enters the water affects how much water contact there is and therefore how much moisturization and cooling. With your setup, you will get a smaller number of large bubbles because there is no diffusion, resulting in less water effects. Large bubbles also mean more chug and drag (speaking of which, a shorter whip will reduce the drag).

FWIW . . . After I got my Q I rigged something similar to yours except using a beer bottle (IIRC a pic is early in this thread). You can cut a short length of the stock tubing and using an awl or ice pick or nail work small holes into the tubing about 1/8" apart; maybe a dozen or so. Attach other end of tubing to your glass piece. You will have made a down-stem diffuser for much better action thru the water. Just a thought.

Thanks, so I have a down-stem inside the bong (maybe hard to see in the pics ) would I still need to make some sort of diffuser? Yes I will probably make a shorter whip when I get around to it. :D

JJSeattle,

TOWELIE 420

Thanks, so I have a down-stem inside the bong (maybe hard to see in the pics ) would I still need to make some sort of diffuser? Yes I will probably make a shorter whip when I get around to it. :D
In a little simpler terms, generally, the more water the smoother the hit will be on the throat, but with more water comes more drag, only downside. You just have to find a water level that best suits you. On my stereo matrix i have about 5 varying water levels that I switch from to keep things fresh and to my enjoyment

TOWELIE 420,
Reactions: JJSeattle

oldiebutgoodie

I can't quite make out what is submerged, but I thought that possibly you were just inserting the glass mouthpiece or piece of pvc into the water. What I described above is just a primitive way of making smaller bubbles, which improves the water benefits because of the increase in contact between the vapor and the water molecules.

Herbal Ant

Isn't there some sort of leeching when you soak PVC in water? I had put my old tubing straight in the water instead of the down stem. If I remember correctly, the tubing became cloudy and started breaking down, I could be wrong. :shrug:

Herbal Ant,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Isn't there some sort of leeching when you soak PVC in water? I had put my old tubing straight in the water instead of the down stem. If I remember correctly, the tubing became cloudy and started breaking down, I could be wrong. :shrug:

You're describing the effects of ISO, not water.

viciouselbow

I was wondering if someone could give me an unbiased view on the differences in quality of vapor between the Extreme and the Volcano. Is there a design flaw in the Q that allows the Volcano to be that much more superior or what?

viciouselbow,

oldiebutgoodie

I was wondering if someone could give me an unbiased view on the differences in quality of vapor between the Extreme and the Volcano. Is there a design flaw in the Q that allows the Volcano to be that much more superior or what?

In all the comments re the Volcano vis-a-vis the Q, I can't offhand recollect concerns over the vapor quality in the Volcano being superior, certainly not significantly so. Now, the Volcano is built like a tank, is a workhorse, and is powerful. I suppose that the greater airflow from the 'Cano extracts more efficiently and hence can deliver thicker vapor. That said, if the Q is used correctly, you can get mighty thick vapor out of it, too. IME the difference is not that substantial.

Having used both, I can't justify the 'Cano's 3x price. Especially since the Q is also a whip machine.

:2c:

TOWELIE 420

In all the comments re the Volcano vis-a-vis the Q, I can't offhand recollect concerns over the vapor quality in the Volcano being superior, certainly not significantly so. Now, the Volcano is built like a tank, is a workhorse, and is powerful. I suppose that the greater airflow from the 'Cano extracts more efficiently and hence can deliver thicker vapor. That said, if the Q is used correctly, you can get mighty thick vapor out of it, too. IME the difference is not that substantial.

Having tried both, I can't justify the 'Cano's 3x price. Especially since the Q is also a whip machine.

:2c:
Well said brotha

Amazingkaddycap

I have owned a Volcano for 5 years and I just recently got the Extreme Q....In my opinion the EQ has great quality from the bags, I'm not enjoying the whip as much, probably because im not use to the method. Cons...slow fill time on bags, ease of connecting and disconnecting bags, no stop valve on stem of bag. Pros...great price, efficient. If you have the money and don't care about the whip feature...get a volcano, but for $150 on ebay? Volcano can suck it. Just my two cents

TOWELIE 420

I have owned a Volcano for 5 years and I just recently got the Extreme Q....In my opinion the EQ has great quality from the bags, I'm not enjoying the whip as much, probably because im not use to the method. Cons...slow fill time on bags, ease of connecting and disconnecting bags, no stop valve on stem of bag. Pros...great price, efficient. If you have the money and don't care about the whip feature...get a volcano, but for $150 on ebay? Volcano can suck it. Just my two cents
The Volcano is like a mercedes of the vape world... Well built but overpriced for what you get...

Amazingkaddycap

Just got a EQ...if you are on the fence about this unit, then get off....its worth it. I have Volcano, the (overrated) cloud, and many others. The quality of vapor compared to Volcano is excellent.....I don't enjoy the whip, I suspect its because I've never used that method before...also have a feeling a true whip vape ia probably better (SSV) For the price, quality, efficiency, can't be beat. All the elbow packs and complaints about hit quality is unfounded IMO...I used it right out of the box and was pulling awesome vapor. Very happy

TOWELIE 420

Just got a EQ...if you are on the fence about this unit, then get off....its worth it. I have Volcano, the (overrated) cloud, and many others. The quality of vapor compared to Volcano is excellent.....I don't enjoy the whip, I suspect its because I've never used that method before...also have a feeling a true whip vape ia probably better (SSV) For the price, quality, efficiency, can't be beat. All the elbow packs and complaints about hit quality is unfounded IMO...I used it right out of the box and was pulling awesome vapor. Very happy
I hope you at least ran it on max for half hour to burn off packaging chemicals! :o
If not. Im sure you'll live. Just a note for next time

TOWELIE 420,
Hello FC, I got my Q back in march and I've been reading this thread off and on since. You guys are awesome learned alot from you all, sad to see this thread is slowing down.Its been awesome experimenting,I made mods that really made my Eq a BEAST! I feel like I just got to a party that just ended seeing how everyone has moved on to newer inventions. The Q only needed a few mods to me it'd be nice to have water but since I can't afford what i want I'll wait.I believe a nice mod to the Q was one I had made by a Glass maker in my city (ATL). I simply had him make a cyclone bowl with a hole large enough to fit the elbow screen (anything larger puts too much air in my vape)my most effective mod was lowering the screens position or the ridge the screen sits on to the heater (not to close or it'll cook your herb slowly for you) but just about a half inch. I also had an all glass whip made AWESOME.Its the single best mod I had created will post pics later.The all glass path made bags and whip obsolete.All mods totaled $50 but soooo worth it, now i just need water which is the cost of a new vape,WOW!!It'll be a little later loving Vaping and FC!!!

Nesta

Hello FC, I got my Q back in march and I've been reading this thread off and on since. You guys are awesome learned alot from you all, sad to see this thread is slowing down.Its been awesome experimenting,I made mods that really made my Eq a BEAST! I feel like I just got to a party that just ended seeing how everyone has moved on to newer inventions. The Q only needed a few mods to me it'd be nice to have water but since I can't afford what i want I'll wait.I believe a nice mod to the Q was one I had made by a Glass maker in my city (ATL). I simply had him make a cyclone bowl with a hole large enough to fit the elbow screen (anything larger puts too much air in my vape)my most effective mod was lowering the screens position or the ridge the screen sits on to the heater (not to close or it'll cook your herb slowly for you) but just about a half inch. I also had an all glass whip made AWESOME.Its the single best mod I had created will post pics later.The all glass path made bags and whip obsolete.All mods totaled $50 but soooo worth it, now i just need water which is the cost of a new vape,WOW!!It'll be a little later loving Vaping and FC!!!
A glass whip! Sounds great, but fragile. Is it practical? Hard to clean? When you get a chance, I'd love to see those pictures.

hoptimum

the design flaw is that the EQ is powered by a cheap, weak ass fan and the Volcano has a powerful, industrial grade pump to fill bags quickly and easily
IMO, the vapor from a Volcano is much thicker and tastier, and the Volcano is certainly more efficient at filling bags. Plus the Volcano valve system is effortless while the EQ is a hassle to set up, takes longer to reach temperature and takes much longer to fill bags. Then since theres no valve you need to figure out how to stop the vapor from leaking out. If you take price out of the equation there is no comparison, which is a mighty big if. I don't think the Volcano is worth 3 times as much, but its easily worth twice as much. And because the Volcano is so well built with good customer support, buying used isnt usually a problem. IME the EQ is a toy by comparison.

hoptimum,

oldiebutgoodie

While posts to this thread have indeed slowed down, the Q continues to be quite popular because it is one of the best "value" vapes on the market, and one of the most flexible. A suggestion made frequently here, is to read thru this whole thread because there is such a wealth of information about the machine and what can be done with it. Your mods continue in that tradition, and so please do post the details and pics. You might also get some good feedback from other modders; they may be quiet here now but they are still here on FC and pay attention to this thread.

the design flaw is that the EQ is powered by a cheap, weak ass fan and the Volcano has a powerful, industrial grade pump to fill bags quickly and easily
IMO, the vapor from a Volcano is much thicker and tastier, and the Volcano is certainly more efficient at filling bags . . . If you take price out of the equation there is no comparison, which is a mighty big if. I don't think the Volcano is worth 3 times as much, but its easily worth twice as much . . .

The HerbalAire is also powered by a strong pump and blows great bags. (Although I wouldn't give a nickel for its direct draw.) Same price point as the Q. Just sayin' . . .

Thanks Oldie I feel like I've been welcomed by a true legend!(No pun intended) I read the ENTIRE thread
before posting, Ill continue to post since the Sheriff seems to still be in this ghost town,just got into Vaping in march once again I felt left out once I discovered this literal lifesaver. The solo was my first vape then the Q(bacwards I know) but I thought if the solo could completely convert a 15+yr smoker on 1st try I had to get the Q.I was pissed i couldnt understand how the portable seemed more efficient than the Big Guy.Well my mods put the solo in its place,PORTABLE. Ive broken countless glass to the solo and Eq with so much to come but hey its a transition my papers weren't so fragile lol. FC4LIFE

Top Bottom