Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Hell Yeah

Votes: 55 64.0%
  • No, thank you

Votes: 12 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

duanecobain

i grabbed a torch-powered elev8r recently and it's not bad, but i think i want to mod it with quartz pearls for better heat retention. i feel like i can only get a single bit hit before the quartz heater cools off, even after blasting it for over a minute with a big buddy. couple questions for the experienced folks here:

- what size pearls work best and roughly how many should i plan to buy to fill the quartz heater?

- if anyone else uses a blazer big buddy for heating, how long do you usually heat for?

- any tricks for shaping a new screen for the quartz heater so it fits securely? this will become more important when the thing is full of ripping hot quartz pearls lol

thanks in advance for any guidance, hoping to turn this thing into the powerhouse it has the potential to be.

duanecobain,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Yeah, the torched heater needs a heatup for every hit. It is not recommended to use pearls in a torched heater the temp change is so fast that you're much more likely to break something.

All the heaters are different. I couldn't fit many 4mm pearls in mine, but 3mm would have fallen out the intake so it's a bit of a spill hazard. Some heaters apparently take more 4mm and with some 3mm wouldn't fall out.

I use a big buddy with mine. Roughly 30 secs for first heatup, and 20 for follow up hits. Try to get to learn the heater in a dark room, you'll notice the sluff off the flame with change colour as the heater gets hotter. When it's at temp it goes quite a dark orange, this way you can forget about timing and go by feel. You'll need to time and pay attention for a while to get the feel for it though.

Just use the small screens that came with it. I use the marble on the pick to shape it into a dome, then the dome goes in the heater so it sits convex.

Honestly I tried with pearls and prefer this heater with the torch. If you want pearls get a coil and a PID 👍

coolbreeze

elev8r-driven Convectorium through a 7th Floor ice chamber. The handle's one of @iDRINKBLEACH 's in Desert Ironwood. The beads and tubing add enough resistance for the chamber to work, and well!
IMG-0903.jpg

Last edited:

VapeForTheTaste

Obviously not as fancy as above, but I have to say, I grabbed an Octo-bowl from the Memorial Day sale, and holy crap. The taste is even better, and you can pack practically sprinkles in there. I'd suggest using a screen with it, however. Glass-screen bowls always suck like that.

VapeForTheTaste,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

You've got some fantastic toys @coolbreeze I have no idea what that ice chamber is but it's stunning 🥰
Thank you! That's as far as I'm going down the heady path...I hope. It's a bit challenging to use because it is so open. You feel like a carp at the top of the pond gulping air. But it's so funky you can't not love it.

Edit: Oh! the 'what it is'--it's a bong-like thing, you stick the tube through a hole in the front, fill it with ice, and whale away. You don't really add water, though I guess you could. It has a carb hole, which makes a big gulp even airier! It's made for the SSV/DBV, and it works with Da Buddha when it feels like it.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
  • Haha

GoldenBud

just got my elev8r, the vapor is so clean, i missed it so much
using 2 small torches right now, while the elev8r sits on a bubbler. around 55 seconds of heating

thinking about buying a coil but i hate beads... in which temp you're using with coil without beads? around 600F?

GoldenBud,

coolbreeze

just got my elev8r, the vapor is so clean, i missed it so much
using 2 small torches right now, while the elev8r sits on a bubbler. around 55 seconds of heating

thinking about buying a coil but i hate beads... in which temp you're using with coil without beads? around 600F?
Probably depends on your controller. I have a the one from 7th floor and I'm set to about 620-640 in the pics above, with beads, but that's over an inch away from the load, I bet.

I ran it without beads initially and it was a lot higher; too much orange coil. So I finished up the project, for much better results. I actually have my enail setup and a separate torch version. I usually use the torch version cuz it's so quick and easy, and get the electric one out on occasion. If it's gonna be your main heavy, you're probably going to want to go with beads, to be honest. Not just to lower your temps but to maintain and recover your heat and to be able to use with deep bowls, etc.

GoldenBud

Probably depends on your controller. I have a the one from 7th floor and I'm set to about 620-640 in the pics above, with beads, but that's over an inch away from the load, I bet.

I ran it without beads initially and it was a lot higher; too much orange coil. So I finished up the project, for much better results. I actually have my enail setup and a separate torch version. I usually use the torch version cuz it's so quick and easy, and get the electric one out on occasion. If it's gonna be your main heavy, you're probably going to want to go with beads, to be honest. Not just to lower your temps but to maintain and recover your heat and to be able to use with deep bowls, etc.
which beads you got there? will consider it, thanks ;)

GoldenBud,

VapeForTheTaste

I'm hanging out today with a pretty darn good $90 ounce of Headband OG from Michigan, which is exciting to me having never paid less than ~$50 per 1/4. I painted my PID and it came out pretty good! Slight tape mishap around the LED screen, but I hardly notice it. Really loving my setup lately. I've put away my b0 and Pinky and have exclusively using the Elev8r for a few weeks now.

coolbreeze

Does that mark penetrated the glass to interfere with the screen? It looks like a crack, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing here.

coolbreeze,

VapeForTheTaste

better picture:
because it seems a bit weird.. anyway.. it works like a beast.. wow
That does look like a minor crack. If it's brand new to you, I'd get in touch with the seller, but after a quick cleaning I wouldn't hesitate to keep using it. Honestly I probably wouldn't even clean it considering I only use mine through water.

VapeForTheTaste,
Reactions: coolbreeze

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Yeah, it looks dodgy to me too. Get in touch with the vendor, probably best to give it a good clean before sharing a pic lol 😁

Anyone else use thier wand with the torch driven elev8r? I can't resist it and always choose the wand over the wpa.

coolbreeze

Anyone else use thier wand with the torch driven elev8r? I can't resist it and always choose the wand over the wpa.
I've been sorta the opposite, but ya talked me into it!

Edit: Holy hell that was effective.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
  • Love

coolbreeze

tried some old bowl I have, which the heater sits closer to the heater.... unreal performance...perfect ABV....
Bet that tasted good!

Yeah, it looks dodgy to me too. Get in touch with the vendor, probably best to give it a good clean before sharing a pic lol 😁

When you use your wand do you pack a significant amount and tamp? I was using the shake-and-bake method with a thick screen cover and while it worked devastatingly well, I sorta had to hold the end up so that enough weed would remain in the heat path. I even thought of trying it chillum style, but that's a pretty big wand!

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Yeah I love a big load with the wand. I don't tamp but I do seat the load gently for the first hit or two, then I'll tap it against the heel of my hand to unseat everything, give it a shake, then tap the mouthpiece end of the wand gently, also against the heel of my hand to reseat, then heat again. 3 or 4 draws in total and it's dump time.

As for the angle of attack lol, I do hold it slightly uplifted whilst drawing, and that nipple end shape of the wand feels great if you rotate whilst drawing! 😳 I get a lovely hit with a very even roast.

Cheebsy,
Top Bottom